Schumi Return

Posted by elpasho2005f1 
Schumi Return
Date: July 28, 2009 05:44PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
From ITVF1 site

Michael Schumacher’s official spokeswoman has said the seven-time world champion would consider stepping into the injured Felipe Massa’s race seat at Ferrari if called upon by the Maranello team.

Massa suffered a fractured skull in an accident in Hungary last Saturday and doctors do not expect him to race again this season, although that judgment remains provisional until the extent of Massa’s injuries are clearer.

In any event Massa will not be fit to compete in the next grand prix in Valencia on August 23, and Ferrari is therefore expected to appoint a substitute driver alongside Kimi Raikkonen.

Schumacher’s spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told BBC Sport that the 40-year-old German would consider any approach from Ferrari, but emphasised that it would be up to the team to make the first move.

“The whole thing will be considered by Ferrari,” Kehm said.

“If they approach Michael, then he will consider it.

“But there is no reason for him to step into their discussion.”

Ferrari’s chairman Luca di Montezemolo said on Monday that the Scuderia was in no hurry to choose a replacement for Massa and that the long break before Valencia gave it plenty of time to reach the right decision.

Schumacher retired from Formula 1 at the end of 2006 but has tested Ferrari’s grand prix cars several times since and is still contracted to the team in a consultancy role.

In recent interviews he appeared to rule out a return to the sport’s front line, but his spokeswoman said a temporary comeback in the current circumstances was conceivable.

“Usually, I would say he's not interested because he’s fine with his life and he doesn’t miss anything but now the situation is so different,” she said.

Kehm added that the scenario remained “very hypothetical” and Schumacher “doesn’t want to step into that [discussion]”.

Schumacher was one of the fittest drivers in F1 history and still trains regularly, but suffered a minor neck injury after crashing while testing a Honda superbike in February.

“I really can't tell you if his neck would be fine to drive an F1 race,” said Kehm.

“If Ferrari asked him whether he would consider driving, he would have it checked – and remember he is a 40-year-old man, too.”

Ferrari’s other options for a substitute driver appear limited.

Spaniard Marc Gene, 35, and 38-year-old Italian Luca Badoer are the team’s long-serving test drivers, but neither has recent F1 race experience.

Gene filled in for injured Williams driver Ralf Schumacher in three races in 2003 and 2004, but Badoer has not competed in a grand prix since 1999 when he raced for Minardi.

Fernando Alonso is widely expected to join Ferrari in 2010 and there has been conjecture that the Spaniard might even take over Massa’s seat in Valencia later this month since his own team, Renault, has been excluded from his home event for failing to secure a wheel on his car at a pit stop during the Hungarian GP.

Renault is appealing its Valencia suspension, however, and would be unlikely to want to relinquish its prize driver to one of its main rivals in the middle of the season.

Would be great to see him back at the wheel, Schumi, Vettel, Hamilton and Button. Especially with what schumi said in the november 2008 issue of F1 Racing.
Re: Schumi Return
Date: July 28, 2009 06:59PM
Posted by: Fincent
Interesting one this :) his manager is quoted as saying "That Michael is going to make a comeback is ruled out." (link) and his spokeswoman is saying "If they approach Michael, then he will consider it". (link)

Mixed signals much? lol

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: July 28, 2009 07:10PM
Posted by: Team CLR
I hope it happens, Kimi didn't want to drive with Schumacher as a teammate, so here's a chance to see a Raikonnen v Schumacher battle with the same car.

Date: July 28, 2009 07:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Team CLR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kimi didn't want to drive with
> Schumacher

was that actually ever confirmed, or just a rumour?

but anyway, i doubt Schumacher will come back tbh, he can't really achieve anything by doing it. If Ferrari was in contention for the constructors title or Kimi for the drivers he may have done it, but as that is not the case - probably not.

But yes, it would be great to see how Schumacher compares to Raikkonen or even see him dueling with Alonso again, or Hamilton.

EDIT: also, if he did come back - Monza would be incredible! according to James Allen, he is allowed to run in last year's car to get up to speed, but that wouldn't really help much for this year's car.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 07:24PM by SchueyFan.
Date: July 28, 2009 07:52PM
Posted by: chet
Kimi didnt protest it.

It was in fact Schumacher or so the rumours insisted. LdM is the one who signed Kimi and essentially said to Michael, drive or not but your team-mate is Kimi.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 28, 2009 08:00PM
Posted by: EC83
Team CLR Wrote:
> I hope it happens, Kimi didn't want to drive with
> Schumacher as a teammate, so here's a chance to
> see a Raikonnen v Schumacher battle with the same
> car.

It was MS who didn't want to drive alongside Kimi(or any other driver who he felt might pose a threat to his #1 driver status, for that matter). Kimi wouldn't have minded who his teammate was.

And while it would be great to see those two as teammates, I don't think there's any danger of an MS return happening myself.

Date: July 28, 2009 08:06PM
Danger?

Topic is about the older Schumacher, not Ralf ;)!

Date: July 28, 2009 08:08PM
Posted by: EC83
Date: July 28, 2009 09:25PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Don't you think the walls of Monza miss Ralfie boy? I know Indianapolis' walls still cry ;).
Date: July 28, 2009 09:26PM
chet Wrote:
> Danger?
>
> Topic is about the older Schumacher, not Ralf ;)!

Even Ec83's sig backs that up! Haha

Circuit Thermalito

Date: July 28, 2009 10:22PM
Posted by: Muks_C
MS didn't want anyone who would be a threat to his #1 status in the team, but LdM wanted Kimi to be his successor and be at Ferrari for the next few years (as MS was surely coming to the end of his career), so said to MS that Kimi was coming to the team, stay if you want, go if you want, but Kimi is coming. but Kimi had also been quoted a couple of years previous to his move that he wouldn't go to Ferrari while MS was there because he wouldn't accept #2 status.

so LdM convinced Kimi that MS was retiring, to get him to sign, and told MS Kimi was coming, "forcing" MS to retire.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 28, 2009 10:33PM
Posted by: tripleM
all the talk about #1 and #2 is nice and all but i doubt that it has any relevance to 2009

whoever get's chosen/accepts the offer will drive regardless how the other driver feels about it

Date: July 28, 2009 10:48PM
Posted by: vesuvius
According to Finnish Newspaper TurunSanomat Giancarlo Fisichella will be suprisingly be the driver who Ferrari choose to take for Massa's place.According to TS Force India still haven't paid last years engines to Ferrari so they would give Fisichella for free to Ferrari. [www.ts.fi]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 10:49PM by vesuvius.
Date: July 28, 2009 11:00PM
Posted by: Team CLR
vesuvius Wrote:
> According to Finnish Newspaper TurunSanomat
> Giancarlo Fisichella will be suprisingly be the
> driver who Ferrari choose to take for Massa's
> place.According to TS Force India still haven't
> paid last years engines to Ferrari so they would
> give Fisichella for free to Ferrari.
> [www.ts.fi]

Well, either Fisi is going to have (another) revival of his career, of Ferrari are going to get royally ripped off.

Frankly I would have preferred to have seen Sutil get the seat, so we can see what he's capable of if given a decent car, but given the recent history between him and Kimi, I can see why it's Fisichella instead. ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2009 11:02PM by Team CLR.
Date: July 28, 2009 11:05PM
Posted by: tripleM
uh, great

i vote ripped off

Gene and cash please

Date: July 28, 2009 11:12PM
Posted by: Muks_C
tripleM Wrote:
> all the talk about #1 and #2 is nice and all but i
> doubt that it has any relevance to 2009
>
> whoever get's chosen/accepts the offer will drive
> regardless how the other driver feels about it

you're right, it has no relevance to the situation we have now, i was merely adding to the discussion about Kimi and MS and how they never got to be teammates at Ferrari already.

personally i'd love to see MS drive while Massa is out, but i don't think he'd be on the pace without some serious testing, which won't be allowed. i'd hate for him to race and be rubbish.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: July 28, 2009 11:16PM
Fizzy?!

Really?!!

YES :D:D:D:D! Awesome!!!!!!! An Italian back in a Ferrari! I do hope so!!! Everyone loves Fizzy!

Date: July 28, 2009 11:20PM
Posted by: Red Sam
Fisichella would be a joke.

I reckon Badoer deserves at least one race - he has given the team a lot for no reward.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 28, 2009 11:48PM
You cant deny that Gene and Badoer deserve a run in the car after, as Red Sam said, all the effort theyve put in over the years. I also agree with Muks that, as awesome as it would be to have MS back, I wouldnt want him to do a Nigel Mansell and blow away his reputation by getting outpaced! Fisichella would be quite amazing to see, he's experienced and it's been his career ambition to drive for Ferrari but I feel that Sutil would get better results. Kimi would HAVE to avoid him since he'd be his team mate as well ;) . Also Ferrari would be a hell of a lot better off getting somebody with experience of this years cars!

Circuit Thermalito

Date: July 28, 2009 11:53PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Haha, I'd love to see this bring back the Fizzy of old! Not the new tired-out Fizzy, the old superstar Fizzy that we all knew from his early career. When we all thought he was the 2nd best driver after Schumacher. Let's see if this gives him a confidence boost, maybe that's what he needed all of that time?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy