Schumi Return

Posted by elpasho2005f1 
Re: Schumi Return
Date: July 30, 2009 05:09PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Massa's condition is looking better all the time - so Schumacher might not be in for long.

[www.autosport.com]

Of course, there is still no definitive medical opinion, so its all conjecture really.
"He refused to give a specific timeframe for the Brazilian to go racing again, although he stressed he was "sure" Massa would eventually make it back onto the grid."

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 30, 2009 05:23PM
Posted by: tripleM
it's great that his recovery is progressing so well

as long as his doctors and FIA clear him to race, i have no problem with him returning as soon as he feels ready

bu realistically, it's a serious injury, and he should not be put under any pressure to rush his return

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2009 05:26PM by tripleM.
Date: July 30, 2009 07:09PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Kimi on pressconfrence at Jyväskylä:

Q: What do you think about Michael Schumacher joining you as the second driver at Ferrari?
KR: I actually heard it yesterday. For me it makes no difference who drives the second car. I don’t think it is 100 per cent sure that he will drive as he is still checking things out. But it will be nice to have him as a team-mate. It nearly happened before.
Date: July 30, 2009 07:13PM
Posted by: Isaint
I was so pleased over the way Felipe had matured as a driver as I predicted in the posts before the 09 season started, he made Kimi seem second rate. He missed the Championship last year .... still on my stewards inquiry list don't care what anyone says.

So now this ....... can't help feeling it's going to be a long battle both psychologically and phisically, maybe he won't ever be back, ... shame.

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Date: July 30, 2009 09:38PM
Posted by: Fincent
How about this for a bold statement/prediction from me? I predict that Schumacher will score more points in the remaining races than Kimi can over the entire season ;)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: July 30, 2009 10:04PM
Posted by: antihero
This is awesome news :D

Let's be realistic, he hasn't driven a F1 car since March 2008. Learning the track shouldn't be a big issue for someone like Schumacher though. However, I think he will have done a pretty good job if he gets into Q2, and a top10 finish in the race :) The next races, he could end up a lot closer to Raikkonen, if not ahead.

Obviously hoping Massa makes a full recovery, but tbh I wouldn't mind if he doesn't get back in 2009.

Bring back the racing
Date: July 30, 2009 10:37PM
Posted by: EC83
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Massa's condition is looking better all the time -
> so Schumacher might not be in for long.

It would be crazy for Massa to race again this season, whether he feels fit enough or not. His body needs the next few months off to fully recuperate.
MS, if he stands in full time for Massa, will drive for the next 6 races.

Edit: Just remembered there are 7 races left for MS to drive in, not 6. Bleh!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 02:55PM by EC83.
Date: July 31, 2009 12:35PM
Posted by: mcdo
This will be fascinating. Imagine the TV audience to see if Schumacher can still cut the mustard, even in the less than spectacular '09 Ferrari.

Obviously he's stepping into the breach for Ferrari and understudy Massa, so anyone fearing the legend being besmirched is overlooking the context.

I'll be even more amazed if Massa returns this year than by Schumacher returning in his absence. Getting back basic functions after a serious head injury is one thing. Being able and cleared to drive an F1 car is entirely another.

Putting the cart way before the horse, I just had a weird thought of Schumacher doing well, getting a renewed taste for it and wanting to continue into 2010? I could only imagine that if Felipe was still unfit by the start of next season.
Hopefully Felipe is fit before then, but what ifs are tantalising.

Kimi might say he doesn't care who the 2nd driver is, but he will surely care more than ever about the result.

All eyes on Ferrari once again.
Date: July 31, 2009 01:02PM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
To be honest, although I would love nothing more than for my ultimate racing hero to return to the f1 circus, I feel that he shouldn't.

The reason I say this is that it seems that Massa has no serious injuries, except concussion, which normally heals in 3 weeks. It looks like the helmet absorbed most of the impact of the spring, which prevented any serious injuries.

Thus, he should be healthy in time for Valencia, and it would be unfair towards him if Ferrari and Bernie insist that Michael returns just to boost morale and ratings respectively while Massa should be fighting fit.

He has earned my respect since Schumi retired and did very well last year in an unreliable car and team.

I would say yes, if there was only a 2 week gap, but 4 weeks seems to be the perfect gap for Massa to recuperate. I hope he will still race in 3 weeks time.
Date: July 31, 2009 01:07PM
Posted by: gav
Ho3n3r Wrote:
> The reason I say this is that it seems that Massa
> has no serious injuries, except concussion, which
> normally heals in 3 weeks. It looks like the
> helmet absorbed most of the impact of the spring,
> which prevented any serious injuries.

The guy has a fractured skull, apparently in 2 places. It's dangerous racing when you've got a concussion (which is why they don't let you), but it would be suicidal to do so with a fractured skull.
Date: July 31, 2009 01:13PM
Posted by: flat tyre
After a quick google, I found out that a skull fracture can take anything from 6 weeks to 4 months+ to heal. It's a critical area to have an injury, especially for a race driver - heads can take a lot of punishment in crashes. So don't expect them to rush Massa back to the cockpit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 31, 2009 01:15PM
Posted by: The Lopper
Schumi would not be there at all if there was no need for him to be there. While Massa may recover quicker than expected, he would still not be ready for the Valencia race and presumably one or two after that, at the least. You just can't take chances with that kind of injury.
Date: July 31, 2009 01:26PM
Cool. I didn't know that a skull fracture took that long to heal. Well then I'm all for it!!!

Go Schumi!!!

And get well as soon as possible, Felipe!!!
Date: July 31, 2009 01:33PM
Posted by: Fincent
I would imagine that in some situations depending on the fracture, the G Forces drivers pull when going round a corner would put a lot of stress on the injury and possibly even make it worse. The last thing we want is for Massa not to come back at all :( . I've never been his biggest fan (although in his early days he provided lots of entertainment with guaranteed spins ;) ) but I think that Ho3n3r summed it up perfectly for me, "He has earned my respect since Schumi retired and did very well last year in an unreliable car and team".

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: July 31, 2009 01:45PM
Yep and the thing I like about him is he is as down-to-earth as a normal person.

Someone I knew 2 years ago said that he is a wannabe-racer, but how can a wannabe come 2nd in the DWC?

He's just a very relaxed, joking and normal guy.
Date: July 31, 2009 01:47PM
Posted by: senninho
I really think they will keep Massa out for at least the next 3 or 4 races, and i would be surprised if he races again this year. Like Gav said, with a fractured skull it just isn't worth the risk.

Back on topic, Autosport is reporting that Schumi is testing an F2007 at Mugello today. To get around the testing ban, he borrowed it from F1 Clienti. One would assume that he didn't pay ;)

Date: July 31, 2009 01:49PM
Lol well that'd be selfish of Ferrari to let him pay to use a car that will enable them to get more points via Schumi.
Date: July 31, 2009 01:53PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Schumi has been testing F2007 today at Mugello :)
Date: July 31, 2009 01:56PM
vesuvius Wrote:
> Schumi has been testing F2007 today at Mugello :)

;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Wish they showed some of it on TV! :)
Date: July 31, 2009 01:57PM
Posted by: chet
I believe last year, much to my suprise Valencia Q2 1st to 10th was about 5tenths.

Thats closer than Hungary this year I think. However this is Schumacher, and you never forget how to be quick. If he's not in the top 6 in Q3 i'd be supprised.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy