Schumi Return

Posted by elpasho2005f1 
Re: Schumi Return
Date: July 28, 2009 11:58PM
Posted by: gav
No way would Fisi be joining Ferrari. They overlooked him when he was in his prime. I doubt they're about to hire him now that he's probably in his last season.

I'd rather have Villeneuve.

It's obviously going to be Gene and Badoer, but I can't help but be dragged into the romance of an Alonso mid-season move or Schumacher return. ;)
Date: July 29, 2009 12:28AM
Posted by: Red Sam
A lot of people are saying that they don't want MS to come back and "do a Mansell", but don't forget that although 1995 was rubbish, he shared the 2nd Williams with Coulthard in 1994 after Senna died, and didn't do too bad - who won Adelaide 1994, after all the mayhem? Mansell!

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: July 29, 2009 12:28AM
Posted by: senninho
Romance FTW, although i think Villeneuve on the side of the Ferrari, however improbable, would top Alonso or Schumi in those stakes ;)

Date: July 29, 2009 01:11AM
Red Sam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A lot of people are saying that they don't want MS
> to come back and "do a Mansell", but don't forget
> that although 1995 was rubbish, he shared the 2nd
> Williams with Coulthard in 1994 after Senna died,
> and didn't do too bad - who won Adelaide 1994,
> after all the mayhem? Mansell!

Yeah, he wasn't exactly the Mansell who left F1, but he was doing the team and frankly the sport a favour.

He got a front-row start, had an epic battle with Alesi, got pole then won the final race, one of the ones he'd failed to do in his full-time career - OK, it was gifted to him, but it was still an achievement given how little he'd driven in F1 the past 2 years, and it was completely different to when he left.

Likewise, nobody (serious) in their right mind would expect MS to beat Kimi consistently, or even beat him more often than he got beaten.

It's not like he'd be doing it to return - just do the team a favour when they need it (OK, they don't need him for points, but for some direction and get some spirits back up).
Date: July 29, 2009 01:17AM
Posted by: chet
Wouldnt expect him to be like his old self but then I would not at all be shocked if he won the races he did.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 29, 2009 02:13AM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Hope schumacher will step up again into an f1 cockpit. God knows what Luca is thinking right here, right now.

Date: July 29, 2009 03:43AM
Posted by: EC83
If he did make a return it'd be a voyage of discovery for him in the 2009 cars, with so many reg changes, and he wouldn't exactly be his old self, but once he'd got settled in the car he probably wouldn't do badly - maybe about the level of competitiveness he managed in his better races in 2005(excluding Imola and, of course, Indy).
I'm thinking Canada 2005, France 2005, Barcelona 2005 before his punctures. Performance levels something like that.

gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah, he wasn't exactly the Mansell who left F1,
> but he was doing the team and frankly the sport a
> favour.
>
> He got a front-row start, had an epic battle with
> Alesi, got pole then won the final race, one of
> the ones he'd failed to do in his full-time career
> - OK, it was gifted to him, but it was still an
> achievement given how little he'd driven in F1 the
> past 2 years, and it was completely different to
> when he left.

Nigel got a few loose ends from his full-time career tied up on his '94 return - he finished the Japanese GP for the first time as well.
I've always wondered how Williams would've done in '95 if they'd put Mansell and DC in the cars instead of DC and Damon.

Date: July 29, 2009 03:57AM
Posted by: duff_3519
I thinks its possible, although I doubt he'd step in at Valencia.
* I don't think he'd be under any pressure or expected to win. He's got nothing to prove, Ferrari are no chance for the titles and have already said they're suspending development of the F60 and using the 2nd half of the season to help develop next years car.
* Bernie and the promotors would love it- Especially if the return was at Spa, Monza and Suzuka, all tracks with big MS connections
*I wonder if not having driven the 09 car would be that much of an issue? It seems to me that the cars are similarish in their behaivour to cars in the mid 90's. MS has plenty of experience there and one of the reasons he was retained as an occasional test driver was this reason?

I think the only obstical is whether he actually wants to do it, whether the team wants him and whether he is fit enough.
I personally hope we do see "M SCHUMACHER" on the timing screens again temporarily.
Date: July 29, 2009 04:11AM
Posted by: matt3454
He would not be under pressure to win, but if he failed to make the cut in Q2, and Kimi makes it in easily then thats where where the pressure will lie. He will need to be faster or as fast as Kimi to make it worth his while.

(He's already a 7 time world champion, I don't think he would even contemplate coming back unless he felt he could get another win or two under his belt.)

I would love to see him win for the last time at Monza though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 04:11AM by matt3454.
Date: July 29, 2009 06:42AM
Posted by: EC83
If it happened it would be an amazing role reversal, of course, 10 years to the month almost after MS himself was injured and was subbed for by Salo.

Date: July 29, 2009 07:59AM
Posted by: Jagdpanzer
If Schumi fills in for Massa there will finally be something to actually get excited about this season! It will also send a chill down the collective spines of Webber,Hamilton,Button, and drivers of their stripe...

"There are some pikeys there at Turn 10 putting tarmac down - what do you think of that?" - Martin Brundle
Date: July 29, 2009 08:04AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I'd like to see Schumi just to place him against these guys in a more even playing field and with the opposition having a good amount of experience. Between Gené and Badoer I am 100% Badoer.
Date: July 29, 2009 09:50AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
Just something I was thinking about: All right, he doesn't have any experience with the 2009 car or regulations.

But neither had Alguersari before this past weekend, and yet he outshone his teammate. Plus Michael has a lot of experience on his side. And his technical mind would make it massively easy on the team not having to 'figure out' what to change on the setups, as he knows most of the circuits anyway.

It would make me want to watch the races again, as F1 is currently the dullest it's been in my lifetime. 2007 and 2008 were great without Schumi, but now we may need him again.

If not Schumi, how about a Hakkinen return? I never liked the guy one bit when he was driving for Mclaren, but in a red car I might just approve.
Date: July 29, 2009 10:03AM
Posted by: torana_05
i think it will have to be a badoee, bordais or luizzi

Date: July 29, 2009 10:10AM
Posted by: msater
Hakinnen is a no go. He's 43 (give or take a few years) hasn't driven an F1 car since he retired (AFAIK), and he was Ferrari's main rival in the late 90s.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: July 29, 2009 11:07AM
Posted by: Nickv
You know what? We should get Niki Lauda in the car! He has great technical experience, knows everything and is a three time world champion. He can easily adapt to the cars. What can go wrong?!?
Date: July 29, 2009 11:41AM
Moss still has plenty of life in him yet!

The only stumbling block is him wanting to drive for British teams, so I doubt a British race engineer would be enough to persuade him back. :(
Date: July 29, 2009 12:24PM
Posted by: janneman29
What is this about people thinking schumi will not get up to pace. Alguersuari never drove an F1 car before, and still being able to follow Buemi. So I can't see why a 7-time world champion with over 15 years f1-experience can't manage that too. I really do believe that he will be able to give Kimi a hard time beating Michael Schumacher.

Yes I am a Schumacher fan, but i do think Badoer deserves to drive, even more than Gene. Back in 1999 Badoer and Gene were teammates at Minardi, and it was Badoer who outqualified Gene 9 times to 6....
Date: July 29, 2009 12:31PM
Posted by: The Lopper
LOLapalooza @ Nick and gav.

I'd love if Bourdais got it now I've warmed to the idea. It'd be an awesome two fingers to STR, even if Bourdais would be useless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2009 12:58PM by The Lopper.
Date: July 29, 2009 12:47PM
Posted by: micky-cannonball
Just might be paraniod!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy