Re: The Final F1 Pre-Season Test :O
Date: March 12, 2009 11:00AM
Posted by: vesuvius
TS-report from yesterdays test:

Turun Sanomat, Barcelona

LUIS VASCONCELOS

BARCELONA TEST REPORT - DAY 3 OF 4

BEST TIMES

1) Jenson Button (Brawn BGP001-Mercedes), 1m19,127s (127), 2) Felipe Massa (Ferrari F60), 1m20,168s (109); 3) Robert Kubica (BMW F1.09), 1m20,217s (112); 4) Timo Glock (Toyota TF109), 1m20,410s (130); 5) Fernando Alonso (Renault R29), 1m20,863s (107); 6) Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull RB5-Renault), 1m21m165s (102); 7) Nico Rosberg (Williams FW31-Toyota), 1m21,324s (89); 8) Giancarlo Fisichella (Force India VJM02-Mercedes), 1m21,545s (97); 9) Sebastien Buemi (Toro Rosso TR4-Ferrari), 1m21,569s (143s); 10) Lewis Hamilton (McLaren MP4/24-Mercedes), 1m21,657s.

WEATHER

Dry track all day. Cloudy for most of the session. Max. temp: 16º (air), 24º (track); min. temp: 9º (air) 12º (track)

Brawn Grand Prix is barely one week old but the team formerly known as Honda is already shocking the establishment. If Button and Barrichello had shown a lot of promise in the first two days of testing, running in very competitive times, no one was prepared to see the Brit shatter the 2009-spec cars lap record and beat everyone else by a full second! And that on a day where Felipe Massa did a low fuel run at the end of the morning, as Ferrari was doing a qualifying simulation!

On top of being quick the new BGP001 proved to be reliable, as Jenson Button managed to complete 127 laps, including a Grand Prix simulation, with two pit stops to get the race team up to speed and he was, obviously, delighted with the way things are going: "It's been good, isn't it? The car was straight out of the box and on top of that we managed to complete a lot of laps today. Up to now the car has completed 1700 kilometres and the more miles we manage to get, the better. We're obviously doing well, but we have to bare in mind that what we have here and will have in Jerez next week is what we'll have in Melbourne, while I'm sure the other teams will bring quite a few new parts. In any case we're obviously surprising people and I love surprising people!"

On the long runs, though, the BGP001 was not as impressive as in qualifying runs, as Button admitted: "It's true that we do struggle a bit with tyre degradation and that's something we'll have to work on, with Bridgestone, to improve the situation before the Australian Grand Prix."

Felipe Massa was second quickest of the day, beating Raikkonen's previous best time by 2/10s of a second, but his day, which included a Grand Prix distance, was not without trouble. After only eight laps in the morning the Brazilian had to stop on the track with a hydraulic problem, the second one in as many weeks. There were worried faces at Ferrari at the end of the day, with Luca Baldisseri returning home with Team Principal Stefano Domecali, who made a quick visit to testing on Wednesday, as the team prepared to make some changes to the F60 to make sure the car will be reliable in the first two races of the season.

Once Massa got going again, his lap times were as impressive as Raikkonen's had been in the previous day. He was able to run 20 laps stints in the 1m21s bracket, with his quickest times being always in the 1m20s bracket, showing that in race trim the F60 is still the pace setter.

Robert Kubica was third quickest, focusing on general set-up and evaluation of some new parts for the rear suspension but he also did a couple of low fuel runs - although not strictly qualifying runs - and was able to match Massa's times, like BMW had already done in Bahrain. In longer runs the F1.09 was also quite consistent and there were no reliability concerns, in what was a very positive day for the Polish driver.

Timo Glock set the 4th quickest time of the day, once again Toyota's good form and he was not far of the lap times achieved by Massa and Kubica. After Trulli had done the fine tuning of some new parts in the previous day, including a modified under floor and an optimised diffuser, it was Glock's turn to get used to the new parts and even though he was unable to complete his program, the German was happy with the way things had gone: "Once again, we had no major issues with the car, as we are able to run consistently and without reliability problems. The lap times are consistent, but there's still a bit more work to be done on Thursday, which will be our last day of testing before the start of the season. So far, so good, but only in Melbourne we'll know where we stand."

For Renault this was a slightly more positive day, after some of the suspension parts tried on Tuesday were discarded. A new under floor came overnight from the factory and was put in the car for the afternoon session. That seems to improve the handling of the car, as Alonso explained, "the new parts gave the results we expected and we keep making progress in every test we've done so far, but when you look at the lap times Button has done with the Brawn, in qualifying trim, or Massa in race trim, it's clear we're not in a position to beat those times at the moment."

Vettel had a less successful day, as a gearbox problem stopped him on the track during the morning and the he completed his day with a spin coming out of Turn 4, that brought out the third yellow flag of the day and effectively the session to an end, as there were just four minutes to go before the flag. In the sister car Buemi had a very productive day as Vettel's spin was the only reason he could not complete a Grand Prix distance, as he was just two laps away from completing the distance when the session was red flagged.

The team worked hard overnight, both in Spain and back at the factory in Faenza, to overcome the problems that had stopped Bourdais from running on Tuesday with some changed being made to the rear wheels and to the suspensions, to make sure there were no more safety concerns for the drivers.

Rosberg and Fisichella were able to complete their programs, although they were also delayed by the three red flags that stopped the session. The German did a good number of long runs in relatively competitive times, but it was clear the FW31 was more than half a second per lap slower than Felipe Massa's Ferrari, while Fisichella tried some new parts for his VJM02 and was happier with the balance of the car.

McLaren had another dreadful day, as Lewis Hamilton found himself at the bottom of the time sheets. His day was cut short by a high speed spin coming out of Turn two, when the rear of his MP4/24 ran away from him and the World Champion had an impressive trip over the gravel trap, hitting the tyre wall with the front of the car, without making too much damage. It took a couple of hours for him to return to the track and then Vettel's spin brought his day to a sudden and frustrating end.

There was no word from the team about the reasons for the spin, although the mechanics were seen inspecting the left rear suspension at the sight of the crash, but eye witnesses said Hamilton had just lost control of the car as he accelerated out of Turn Two, which is consistent with the fact the MP4/24 is lacking in traction in the last couple of tests, since the 2009 rear wing was put in the car.

[www.turunsanomat.fi]:
Date: March 12, 2009 11:25AM
Posted by: Craigo
Hope this is all genuine.
As a brit I have always been much more excited by the prospect of Button winning over Hamilton.
Dunno why, I'm sure Danm and Chet know what I mean ;)

Come on Jenson! lol
Date: March 12, 2009 11:37AM
Posted by: J i m
Rosberg is currently fastest today, in the 19's but still a fair chunk slower than Button yesterday... Barrichello about half a second slower atm.
Date: March 12, 2009 01:59PM
Posted by: Sauber89
Yeah , i don't know why but the idea of button winning just excites me far more than any hamilton win, it'll be interesting to see how lewis copes with an average car.

Date: March 12, 2009 02:13PM
Posted by: elemental
Times after lunch:

Date: March 12, 2009 02:23PM
Posted by: chet
Craigo, I certainly do get what you mean ! :)!

Seeing Lewis at the bottom is not something I wish, I like the guy, i think he's great, and I am long time fan of his. However seeign Button top and Lewis bottom is something I did enjoy yesterday.

Button deserves the chance Lewis has had, and Lewis deserves a bad car. Thats not out of spite, but because I want to know what he can do in a bad car. Will he be as good as Shumacher and Senna?

Anyway, onto testing, Rosbergs time clearly shows the teams, at least most can crack the 1.19's in a qualifying pace, and I bet some maybe even the 18's ;-)! Well Ferrari would be my bet lol.

What is worrying me about Mclaren is the lack of laps atm. Rubens 74, Lewis 29. Appearing slow I dont mind, but a lack of laps worrys me.

edit - btw just a thought. clearly some teams have no pushed the limits yet. and it would seem BGP have... since this is the cars first outing, iam guessing they intended to see what they have got to play with, and so have gone for the limits of the car to see the pace, and will work backwards from that. I highly doubt Mclaren have reached the limit yet, same with TF, BMW, Renault and Ferrari tbh.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2009 02:32PM by chet.
Date: March 12, 2009 03:25PM
Posted by: danm
its so unknown, its fantastic.

can you imagine at melbourne if we get an absolute shakeup, a jenson, vettel front row, followed by rosberg and rubens...

melbourne is so far away!

and what do you bet, if mclaren does suck this year, all those glory hunters dropping the lewis fest for button.

button flags and merchandise were going for £2 at Silverstone last year!

ahhh i had a brazillian flag cheering on rubens, you can just about see it on some of the motorsport.com photos just by the start finish line, halfway up the rows. same for my rosberg flag at the front of the startline for the gp2 races.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 12, 2009 03:47PM
Posted by: Guimengo
post the pics here :P.

I hope it isn't like this, BGP qualifying the top 3 row and dropping back to 11th-12th in the end of the race.
Date: March 12, 2009 03:51PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I highly doubt Mclaren have reached the limit yet,
> same with TF, BMW, Renault and Ferrari tbh.

There's no way on earth McLaren have reached any limit yet. They're clearly not having a perfect winter, but there's no chance that they'll be slowest at Melbourne! A win is looking increasingly unlikely, but keep in mind BMW's pace in testing last season. McLaren might yet turn up at Albert Park and surprise.
Date: March 12, 2009 04:02PM
Well Lewis has now made 1,20,8 that is very close to Massa 1,20,6 so not so bad anymore.
Date: March 12, 2009 04:26PM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
And Barrichello does a 1:19:044 now I am just baffled by that car.
Date: March 12, 2009 04:29PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Dan was that you with the Brazil flag haha

I was sitting bout 10 rows back from you then :)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: March 12, 2009 04:49PM
Posted by: Fincent
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan was that you with the Brazil flag haha
>
> I was sitting bout 10 rows back from you then :)

In that case I was probably sitting about 4 seats to the left haha. Me and my mate were the ones with the squeaky little pathetic airhorns ;)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: March 12, 2009 05:12PM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
1º 17 Rubens Barrichello Brawn GP 00:01'18''926 103
.2º 9 Nico Rosberg Williams 00:01'19''774 00:00'00''848 117
.3º 15 Timo Glock Toyota 00:01'20''091 00:00'01''165 118
.4º 16 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 00:01'20''576 00:00'01''650 75
.5º 7 Fernando Alonso Renault 00:01'20''664 00:00'01''738 56
.6º 3 Felipe Massa Ferrari 00:01'20''677 00:00'01''751 84
.7º 4 Robert Kubica BMW-Sauber 00:01'20''740 00:00'01''814 128
.8º 1 Lewis Hamilton McLaren 00:01'20''869 00:00'01''943 69
.9º 11 Sebastian Buemi Toro Rosso 00:01'21''013 00:00'02''087 62
.10º 21 Giancarlo Fisichella Force India 00:01'21''045 00:00'02''119 107
.11º 12 Sebastian Bourdais Toro Rosso 00:01'21''629 00:00'02''703 13
Date: March 12, 2009 05:21PM
Posted by: vbc
Formula 1 RULES !!!! :D

Please do not start whining :P

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: March 12, 2009 05:22PM
Posted by: EC83
Go Rubens! Whether they're "Prosting" or not, it's great to see BGP up there, giving the new car something approaching a decent shakedown too.

Date: March 12, 2009 05:23PM
Seems that Brawn GP is fast over 1 lap but are behind Ferrari over long runs.Anyway it's going to be interesting to see at Melbourne who is who.
Date: March 12, 2009 05:26PM
Posted by: Craigo
Yes its testing but those times are mentally quick are they not!
Also those FI side pods are crazy!!!
Date: March 12, 2009 05:30PM
Posted by: kubica2
last years pole lap was like 2.5 seconds slower at this race track, i like this!
I bet Honda are slapping themselves in the face now lol
Date: March 12, 2009 05:30PM
Posted by: Monza972
crazy sidepods. WOAH! at the tcam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy