The Final F1 Pre-Season Test :O

Posted by danm 
Re: The Final F1 Pre-Season Test :O
Date: March 17, 2009 11:56AM
Posted by: Craigo
Never has testing made me so excited about f1 before, cant wait for the new season!!

Date: March 17, 2009 01:02PM
Posted by: marcl
If they are all running the same level of fuel mclaren really are in no mans land.
Date: March 17, 2009 01:06PM
Posted by: gav
Nico's time was in a 2 lap run... as was Buttons... Williams throwing a genuine spanner in the works there or is it just working well today?

Hamilton's 19.1 was done on a 5 lap stint. Hmm....

Piquet's down to an 18.3.
Date: March 17, 2009 01:24PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
most teams have had at least one good day though, so its extremely hard to judge!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 17, 2009 01:42PM
Posted by: gav
Date: March 17, 2009 01:44PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
love the sellotape.

get rid of the wings already! banned should mean BANNED.
Date: March 17, 2009 02:02PM
Posted by: chet

Nice underside details of the Renault front wing..

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 17, 2009 02:20PM
Posted by: vesuvius
TEST ROUND UP BARCELONA (msa) :

- Brawn GP almost always did stints of 23 laps, which equals to around 45 kg of fuel. The more laps they do the faster they get. Glock: ''Their traction is incredible.''

Apart from the diffusor, the big front splitter (the extension of the floor) is the other weapon of the BGP001. It's a great replacement for the traditional barge boards, it creates more downforce than the little barge boards in front of the sidepods that are still allowed, and it creates less drag as well. It's one of the solutions that's been studied thoroughly for months. Already in April 2008, work in one of the Honda windtunnels was completely dedicated to 2009.

The fact the Mercedes F0108W engine (+ 45 bhp) has come to replace that of Honda is obviously a great boost as well. Simulations (in Brackley) with comparative data regarding cornering speeds, acceleration and topspeeds point out that even with last year's car Button and Barrichello would have made it to Q3 during each GP in case they would have had a different engine.

- Behind Brawn GP, Ferrari, Toyota and BMW Sauber are more or less on the same level. Rampf: ''I think that's the right assessment. Brawn is faster than the rest of the field.'' The Technical Director doesn't think ex-Honda have been driving underweight: ''I wouldn't trust that.''

- Vasselon on what can be learnt from winter testing: ''The new regulations have brought everyone together. Surprisingly the regulatons have effectuated the exact opposite of what we all expected.''

Rampf agrees: ''I actually expected things to be different. After so many things have changed I would have thought the field to have been pulled apart. But in the past the concepts of the car varied a lot more. The many small deflectors used to have great influence (on the differences in performance - AFCA).''

- Rampf hopes that, with a clear reduction of all these bits and bobs on the car, BMW Sauber's biggest weakness from last year - the inaccurateness when further developing the car - is now something of the past: ''Overall, the circumstances are better because the cars are less complex. From an engineering point of view the challenge isn't smaller but there are less parts on the car that indirectly create downforce. The development is done with a 60% model, some things work on the model but do not necessarily work on track with the real car.''

- BMW Sauber, Ferrari and Toyota did their laps with similar fuel levels last week. Ferrari was always underway with 50 kg, Toyota with less but in any case no one really carried out qualifying simulations (well Raikkonen actually did a few 3 lap stints prior to starting a race simulation - AFCA).

- Ferrari and BMW Sauber were equipped with KERS, others like Toyota, Williams and Red Bull weren't. This blurs the picture as far as tyre wear is concerned. Over the long run Toyota was in front. Michael (who could only attend a part of the test having a fever) has some daring comments: ''Over the long run we're in front of BMW Sauber as well. We're somewhere in the middle. And at Jerez we still have some new parts to come. They might not bring a second, but at least something.''

In Williams' case, the difference in performance between a fast low fuel lap and the final lap of a 28-lap long run was only 0.7 seconds. Toyota only did stints of 18 laps and with 1:21.0's at the end of them they were just as fast as Williams were at the end of their 28 lap stint.

- For BMW Sauber these comparisons are less favourable because the tyre wear is higher due to having KERS on board. This week a decision will be taken as to whether or not KERS will be taken to Australia. Rampf didn't want to reveal anything in Spain: ''I can't anticipate the decision.'' The fact that the team that was willing to have KERS this year already at all costs, still hasn't made up its mind isn't a very good sign...

Rampf explains though that it wasn't too hard finding a set-up with KERS: ''It was relatively easy. We've tested all the (set-up) versions and all the different weight distribution configurations. Having more weight towards the back is more stressful for the reartyres: that's very more normal physics. You're trying to find a balance: if you lack ballast then there's less room to play with the wieght distribution.''

Red Bull showed how much a difference can make having KERS on board or not. At Barcelona the tyres were less worn than at Jerez a week earlier.

- Red Bull and Williams are closely behind Toyota, Ferrari and BMW Sauber. Renault and Toro Rosso a bit behind that. But RBR think they're top 3 worthy, in front of BMW Sauber and Williams. Marko: ''Our evolution parts came late - only on Wednesday and Thursday. Now there's a lot of calculating and analysing going on as to which configuration brings what amount of time. On Thursday we'll be packing up.''

- McLaren has another four days of testing left. Despite Haug saying it may take six races or more to come on top of their problems, Rampf doesn't believe the Woking-based team has completely gone the wrong way aerodynamically: ''I wouldn't quite trust that either...''
Date: March 17, 2009 02:31PM
thanks for that, very interesting!

vesuvius Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Red Bull showed how much a difference can make
> having KERS on board or not. At Barcelona the
> tyres were less worn than at Jerez a week
> earlier.

which week did they use KERS?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 17, 2009 02:35PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
That's a lot of interesting info. And as it looks, in case Honda were still at F1, they wouldn't be doing so well, than Brawn with the Mercedes engine.

Anyway, everytime new info comes about Brawn GP pace, I grin like a fool, hehe :D I'm really excited for Rubens :)
Date: March 17, 2009 03:04PM
Even on a 5 lap stint mclaren should not be that slow really, but a 5 lap stint does not mean 5 laps worth of fuel thats the thing, they still could have been carrying 20 laps worth of fuel.

I do think though they are off the pace, but then I thought that last year and the year before so god knows.

I think they will be lucky to make final quali in Australia and tbh it will do Lewis good not to be in a winning car. We will finally see him having to work harder.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:06PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> thanks for that, very interesting!
>
> vesuvius Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Red Bull showed how much a difference can make
> > having KERS on board or not. At Barcelona the
> > tyres were less worn than at Jerez a week
> > earlier.
>
> which week did they use KERS?

They didn't test with KERS they only have a box that was as heavy as KERS would be.
Date: March 17, 2009 03:19PM
ok, so i am assuming that the week they used the box was the one with the highest tyre wear?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: March 17, 2009 03:35PM
SchueyFan Wrote:
> ok, so i am assuming that the week they used the
> box was the one with the highest tyre wear?

yes that's correct :)
Date: March 17, 2009 03:36PM
Date: March 17, 2009 06:31PM
Todays times

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Button Brawn-Mercedes (B) 1:17.844 114
2. Rosberg Williams-Toyota (B) 1:18.071 66
3. Piquet Renault (B) 1:18.382 128
4. Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:19.121 118
Date: March 17, 2009 07:03PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Hmm, everyone's happy at F1, I see they got their mugs out to celebrate today's testing results eh? ;)
Date: March 17, 2009 07:04PM
Posted by: Monza972
Piquet is 4th?! Now there's a surprise :p
Date: March 17, 2009 07:15PM
I dont know why that happened all I done was posted the times from a website lol
Date: March 17, 2009 07:47PM
Posted by: Fincent
( B ) without the spaces makes a beer icon, which is also what has been used on the website to specify bridgestone ;)

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy