Honda might be running on unstable ground....

Posted by Joe_Satriani 
Re: Honda might be running on unstable ground....
Date: December 06, 2008 12:08AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
I hope the Button rumor to STR is true, I feel really bad for him. Honda had to know this was comming before hand and should have told him to talk to other teams before the season ended.
Date: December 06, 2008 12:43AM
Posted by: Monza972
however, going to STR button future is not at all safe. Remember Matachiests (however its spelt) is looking to sell STR as theres no rules for car sharing. So he will only have STR as a backup but after that, well it could be him needing to prove his worth
Date: December 06, 2008 12:55AM
Posted by: J i m
I don't see many if any options for Button in F1. I think he burnt a lot of bridges with his handling of contracts between Williams and BAR.

Ironically the only man who may still be interested is probably Frank Williams. But his lineup is confirmed and he can't afford to get rid of Nakajima.

If the Honda team is not bought, Button's time in F1 is up, and to be honest I wouldn't be over confident of him being kept on even if a buyer does succeed in buying.
Date: December 06, 2008 01:08AM
Posted by: danm
you say about williams needing nakajima... if the cosworth deal proves more cost effective (and we know how frank likes to put cost cutting in place) then jenson could find himself pairing up with williams once again.

that said, i think nico will have jumped ship by then, to bmw or mclaren.

a move to STR would be pretty much a year to drive his heart out, a la fisichella at sauber style and show he has got the bite in him.

i think he will raise quite a lot of eyebrows, with some grunt up his backside.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: December 06, 2008 01:21AM
Posted by: Rodrigo007
doesn't it sound an irony that Honda is leaving at the time that Sato might be back ;)
Date: December 06, 2008 03:44PM
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you say about williams needing nakajima... if the
> cosworth deal proves more cost effective

None of that is going to be in place for 2009.
Date: December 06, 2008 03:55PM
Posted by: Stan
Honda's senior management in Japan have claimed that contract talks between them and the Briton will reopen to make him a free agent again.

Honda's chairman and CEO Takeo Fukui said: "We had a deal with Button and we are going to restart the talks to undo that contract."

Button's British bosses have also said that they will not stand in his way if he feels that he needs to race elsewhere to keep his F1 career alive.

Brawn told autosport.com: "We will have to discuss his situation, now and ongoing. If Jenson gets an opportunity I am sure we will sit down and see what the situation here is and what the opportunity he has got.

"Given that he is part of the team, I don't think he will rush off and make that decision without discussing it with us.

"We will keep an open dialogue. If we can keep him here we will be delighted but we also understand that it is very difficult for an F1 driver to miss a season - unlike engineers."

Brawn also said that they were still thinking about the second driver situation - with Rubens Barrichello having shown a willingness to prove his motivation and Bruno Senna having been set for a second test next week before plans to run were cancelled.

"Rubens was very upset as well. He has been committing to next year fearlessly. He has lost 3kg, he won the kart race in Brazil, and he was going for it. Regarding Bruno, he had a very good test with us and we were planning to test him again at Jerez next week."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 03:56PM by Stan.
Date: December 06, 2008 04:15PM
J i m Wrote:
> danm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > you say about williams needing nakajima... if
> the
> > cosworth deal proves more cost effective
>
> None of that is going to be in place for 2009.

Exactly what I implied, if they take the cosworth option, then Williams don't have to keep him. Opens a nice space, I can see them prefering someone like Jenson.

Who knows, They might trade Nico for Heikki.

So many options...

Date: December 06, 2008 04:28PM
Posted by: SAMF1
more news
"Fry confident of finding buyer for Honda"
Fry also confirmed that Jenson Button has a 2009 contract with the team

[www.formula1.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2008 04:29PM by SAMF1.
Date: December 06, 2008 04:29PM
They wouldn't trade Nico for Heikki unless they were suitably compensated. And I don't see that happening.

I could see Button going back, but mainly because Frank has a softspot for him.

And the deal with Toyota is "semi works" what ever that means. But you would assume it was no more expensive than the Cosworth option which proceeded it.
Date: December 06, 2008 04:42PM
true. but the question is whether williams would choose the toyota and have to keep nakajima, or drop toyota and be able to choose a driver that prefer.

at least someone with jensons experience could help the development of the team more.

Date: December 06, 2008 07:28PM
Posted by: chet
A few interesting things

[www.f1technical.net]

[www.autosport.com]

[www.autosport.com]

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 06, 2008 09:41PM
i knew dave richards would be there in some shape or form. that will be it, if he is there to make an offer, it pretty much sure is his place.

great move if he gets it, not only will the honda outfit get a decent man in richards, theyll also have the brawn factor, ferrari engines, and keep their KERS work. that means button will likely stay there

now, i wonder what the odds are now for any bets involving the 'honda' outfit... wonder if theyve been racked up high.

Torro Rosso Pipe dream then... I guess!

Date: December 06, 2008 11:30PM
Posted by: antihero
Frantic schreef:
> Honda should have Lucky Strike again, but noooo,
> "we want to save the planet putting our stupids
> earth draws on our cars, we donĀ“t want to be
> burnt alive"
>
> $%&# you Earth, I want F1!!!!!

Dude, seriously, Earth is bigger than F1

Bring back the racing
Date: December 06, 2008 11:40PM
Posted by: chet
problem with the DR rumours is that atm aston is in no better shape, they're laying alot of people off so to take on what is one of the most capable F1 teams will be quite something. dr is going to need a very good reason to do it. atm it seems Mercedes and the others are still seeing F1 as a good investment, if dr and prodrive can make use of the huge advertising capabilities then he could well do it.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 07, 2008 12:07AM
taking over honda right now is a bargain, everything is there to pretty much just change name in ownership terms.

given the drop in proposed development costs, the 2009 car is all in place with the usual tweaking left before the season begins.

dave richards would not have to spend anywhere near as much money as he previosuly would have done, and upon entry, that figure is dramatically reduced even more by having the entire team already in full working swing.

further budget caps and whatnot next year, he can now waltz in and have a top class workforce and infrastructure at a cut of the previous price and cost than it would have been to do it this time last year. brawn would also stay, as its kinda 'his baby' this honda project, so you also get the master with the package.

if prodrive are ever to enter and aim to be competitive, this is too good a chance to take up.

if he was serious enough to enter in 2007, even in the financial climate now, he will jump at this.

question is, who are the other two?

Date: December 07, 2008 02:39AM
Posted by: SAMF1
nice picture damn.... i thought that really button in the toro rosso outfit

Date: December 07, 2008 07:38AM
Posted by: razgriz
If Button for 2nd str seat,i have feeling buemi will struggle his to confidence yet he is too noob for me
Date: December 07, 2008 08:58AM
I agree, I think Buemi is still a bit raw to graduate to F1. Problem is he's currently Red Bull's new golden boy. But that will change if he has a "meh" debut year. And he'll end up like Klien, Luizzi and Speed.
Date: December 07, 2008 01:39PM
Posted by: Monza972
Or worse, like Piquet :p
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy