Honda might be running on unstable ground....

Posted by Joe_Satriani 
Re: Honda might be running on unstable ground....
Date: January 31, 2009 03:30PM
Posted by: chet
I think in principal, trying to go down the green route makes sense, with different kind of green technolgy employed to make cars go faster, improve milage, reduce imissions etc with their use focused on then bringing those devices to bear on normal road cars. F1 would become a focus for how to improve the situation.

I do beleive bio fuels are going to be much more a part of the regulations in future..?

The problem is that many technolgies simply don't transfer to the road. KERS is a prime example, the stopping power of an F1 car is huge compared to any normal road car so there is a vaugely usable bit of energy to be stored when a driver hits the brakes, even so its only conisdered to be worth a few tenths a lap.

Regenerative braking is being used quite extensivley isnt it? But agreed, not half as useful as it is on trains...

Dave -
And yet ironically, Honda is pushing forward with Hydrogen Fuel-Cell technology, which IS the way forward. They just need people to embrace it. If Honda had applied that message to the F1 team, then race fans would sit up and listen.

I think that is more of a specific aim... Honda and earthdreams was more of a wider approach aimed at everyone. But yeah hydrogen is probably the way forward for cars, just a shame is about as a wax firegaurd for aircraft!!!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 06, 2009 01:24AM
Posted by: matt3454
Still no news on Honda's successor? its getting a bit close now.

Date: February 06, 2009 12:07PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
according to f1-live, max and bernie think Fry and Brawn will lead the team to Melbourne

i couldn't see that being more than a part-time offering though tbh

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 10, 2009 06:08PM
Posted by: Gigi4
Italian magazine "Autosprint" reports this title: there is honda, we can restart (free translations from italian). I cant buy it, but formula1.com doesnt report it. Only a joke?

Date: February 13, 2009 05:18PM
Posted by: Damas
Interesting if true...

[en.f1-live.com]
[en.f1-live.com]
Date: February 13, 2009 08:50PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
F1-live is not the first site to point this out...seen it on a couple of others. Might have some truth to it. In fact, what I heard is that they already have money to attend the first four races so it would buy them a bit more time to settle everything.
Date: February 13, 2009 09:07PM
Posted by: J i m
Yeah... the four races bit rings alarm bells to me though. If that's the case they're still struggling to find funds for a whole season.

Ally that to the fact that they probably still have to start re-designing the car most likely around a Mercedes engine and things are definitely not looking good.
Date: February 13, 2009 11:58PM
Posted by: tripleM
Do you really expect the people who ran an unsponsored car for 2 years and had zero success in finding sponsorship for Super Aguri to find enough backing for the other 75% of season even if you gave them 6 extra weeks?

Date: February 14, 2009 01:15AM
Posted by: EC83
Hmmm... It's touch and go, but they seem to have found a good compromise if the immediate agreement is funding for 4 race meetings. The team have a bit of breathing space to find the rest of the funding, and it's not demanding too much from the sponsors either. And there's no one better than Ross Brawn to be dealing with such a difficult situation.

Date: February 14, 2009 08:33AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
tripleM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you really expect the people who ran an
> unsponsored car for 2 years and had zero success
> in finding sponsorship for Super Aguri to find
> enough backing for the other 75% of season even if
> you gave them 6 extra weeks?

Add to this that it has become much harder to find cash with the current economic situation.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 14, 2009 11:57AM
Posted by: Jackal
Plus the fact they only talk about having a front-running car, but without any opportunity to test they can't back that up.
Date: February 14, 2009 03:18PM
Posted by: mika19b
Bernie and Mercedes are keen to keep the Honda team going.

[www.itv-f1.com]

Honda confident of being on the grid.

[www.autosport.com]

I just hope they give Bruno Senna the second seat :)
Date: February 14, 2009 04:39PM
Posted by: Bruninho
mika19b, they will give him the seat. The whole team wants him. Only Ross Brawn wants the useless retired driver that is going to Stock Car Brazil.

Date: February 14, 2009 05:07PM
Posted by: IWE
Bruninho Wrote:
> mika19b, they will give him the seat. The whole
> team wants him
. Only Ross Brawn wants the useless
> retired driver that is going to Stock Car Brazil.

The new main sponsor wants him.. Ross Brawn is one of those in the team with some brains.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: February 14, 2009 05:09PM
Posted by: mika19b
IWE Wrote:
> Bruninho Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > mika19b, they will give him the seat. The whole
> > team wants him. Only Ross Brawn wants the
> useless
> > retired driver that is going to Stock Car
> Brazil.
>
>
> The new main sponsor wants him.. Ross Brawn is one
> of those in the team with some brains.

It depend's whether they want an up and coming driver or an experienced driver who could probably help develop the car better.

I'd be happy with Bruno getting a test drive and then moving into a racing seat in season(s) to come.
Date: February 14, 2009 05:12PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
i'd rather have rubens than jenson based on last year's results! ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 14, 2009 05:19PM
Posted by: J i m
mika19b Wrote:
> I'd be happy with Bruno getting a test drive and
> then moving into a racing seat in season(s) to
> come.

With no in season testing, a test driver role isn't going to be world of help to Senna. Although he is still eligible for a couple of days of "young driver" testing.

It's not a lot. He'd really have been better off by sticking with iSport in GP2 for another year, and then having a full winters testing allied to a F1 race deal for 2010.

Even if the Honda team do make it to Melbourne, and Senna is driving for them, he's had minimal testing in a very late and disadvantaged car and a heck of a lot to learn to boot.

And then there's no guarantee that he team would be able to last more than 4 races.

It really is an insane gamble.
Date: February 14, 2009 05:25PM
Posted by: EC83
Bruninho Wrote:
> mika19b, they will give him the seat. The whole
> team wants him. Only Ross Brawn wants Rubens Barrichello.

If only, LOL ;)

Ross and Rubens have a long working relationship dating back almost a decade now. So it would make good sense if he didn't want Rubens to be dropped.

SchueyFan Wrote:
> i'd rather have rubens than jenson based on last
> year's results! ;)

Agreed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 05:32PM by EC83.
Date: February 16, 2009 05:28PM
Posted by: senninho
Bad news for Bruno, quoted from autosport.com:

"Once Honda announced it was pulling out of Formula One, we decided we were going to stop too, because all the manufacturer-backed teams had fuel suppliers for 2009. We're not interested in just being a commercial sponsor without the possibility of using and developing our products."

As well as the decision regarding its future involvement in F1, Petrobras also issued a statement in Brazil responding to the Senna rumours and making it clear that the company has never adopted the policy of supporting drivers.

The statement said: "Petrobras denies the rumours seen in the media about Bruno Senna's hiring by the ex-Honda team with the company's support.

"The company has no contract with Honda or any future team being formed for the 2009 Formula One season. Petrobras also reiterates that under the terms of its Motorsport Sponsorship Programme, it does not sponsor drivers individually."

Date: February 16, 2009 06:47PM
Posted by: mr.napa-br
So, no Petrobras, there's Santander and Embratel left (are there more?). Well, I don't see this working out very well for the Brackley team, doesn't seem like they'll last trough the season, and if they do, it's probably gonna be Super Aguri II style =/.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy