Honda might be running on unstable ground....

Posted by Joe_Satriani 
Re: Honda might be running on unstable ground....
Date: December 05, 2008 05:51PM
Posted by: IWE
This is getting sick.. [f1.gpupdate.net]

Im pretty sure Honda (and some other teams) would be still fine IF tabacco companies would be allowed to make advertisement inside EU.. But noooo.. Thanks to this and some other things and specially weak lead of FIA F1 is really starting to die.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: December 05, 2008 05:56PM
Posted by: elemental
You should be glad there's no tobacco advertising. They'd probably end up being forced to put pictures of people with gross smoking-related diseases on the rear wing. :p
Date: December 05, 2008 05:57PM
Posted by: Frantic
Honda should have Lucky Strike again, but noooo, "we want to save the planet putting our stupids earth draws on our cars, we don´t want to be burnt alive"

$%&# you Earth, I want F1!!!!!

But, seriously, if this is not changing, Formula 1 will die during the second decade of the 21th century :(

Date: December 05, 2008 05:59PM
Posted by: superchargednut
Seriously, 'F1 is going to die' is getting boring now.

Date: December 05, 2008 06:01PM
Posted by: sasjag
lol, 1 team pulls out and it's the end of F1? these things happen, life goes on etc. f1 wont die, it will adapt to the economy eventually

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: December 05, 2008 06:06PM
True! it wont die, but in most xtreme case after next season there might not be more than 14 cars if even that. Bernie or all teams together might end to pay costs (cosworth engines etc..) of new private teams to fill the grid.

F1 would be big failure like A1gp!

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: December 05, 2008 06:07PM
Posted by: superchargednut
If there were 14 cars on the grid, customer cars would be perimitted and we'd probably end up with bigger grids than we have now. Single car independant teams too. That'd be awesome.

Date: December 05, 2008 06:08PM
Posted by: chet
F1 probably wont die but you have to start to question how commited are the manufacturers? It wasnt long ago rumours of Renault leaving were floating around, and 2/3 weeks ago who would have questioned Honda's commitment. They have put so much in these last two years. It is a HUGE waste of money for them. They gave finanical backing didnt get anything for 2 years, then just pull out before the results of their commitment can be even be seen. This was the year decider year imo. Had 2009 gone well then there would have been a 2010. Had 09 gone as bad as 08 then I do not believe Honda would have been a competitor for 2010. Honda's pulling out has to go down as one of the biggest wastes of money in the sport, if not!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: December 05, 2008 06:10PM
Posted by: Frantic
superchargednut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there were 14 cars on the grid, customer cars
> would be perimitted and we'd probably end up with
> bigger grids than we have now. Single car
> independant teams too. That'd be awesome.

Just like the 70s, good times... They should shut-down the Superliscense, so you´re running in ALMS and do you want to run the US GP with a customer car, you can

Date: December 05, 2008 06:24PM
Posted by: Stan
IWE Wrote:
> True! it wont die, but in most xtreme case after
> next season there might not be more than 14 cars
> if even that. Bernie or all teams together might
> end to pay costs (cosworth engines etc..) of new
> private teams to fill the grid.
>
> F1 would be big failure like A1gp!

holy drama queen batman!

Date: December 05, 2008 06:35PM
Posted by: gav
chet Wrote:
> F1 probably wont die but you have to start to
> question how commited are the manufacturers? It
> wasnt long ago rumours of Renault leaving were
> floating around, and 2/3 weeks ago who would have
> questioned Honda's commitment.

They're pumping more money into the sport than most sports can even imagine. It's no drop in the ocean, as Honda have proved. They're totally committed. When the money stops flowing, then the commitment goes. For the top brass, it's pretty much that simple.

The players within the teams themselves (the likes of Brawn) will be as committed as in any other team. They're driven by just 1 desire.

In the current climate, if a manufacturer sticks around and keeps the money coming, you can pretty confidently say that they're 100% behind their cause. If they aren't committed, they'll follow Honda ASAP.
Date: December 05, 2008 06:37PM
Posted by: marwood82
this has been all very predictable since the carmakers started buying teams. With the money they had at their disposal the costs were always going to get out of control.

i suppose the big question is who's next?

Toyota? renault?.

Until now, the need for change was all talk and no action. Now that the dangers of putting all eggs in the car makers basket are clear this could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

like a few others have said, more independents please!

for that to work the entry fee/deposit needs to be lowered. in 1994 it was about $500,000, now its what, about $50,000,000?

i know its set high to put off mickey mouse entries, but the FIA has to approve any new entries anyway? surely replacing a horrifically high entry fee, with some sort of series of tests/requirements to weed out time wasters would be a way of getting a few more independents on the grid? I'm sure there are a few GP2/F3 outfits that wouldn't mind a crack at F1 if the costs made sense.

I'd rather see F1 full of teams who are there to go motor racing rather than there to sell cars.

With regards the standard engine, aspects of the concept have got merrit. I'm not sure about forcing all engines to the same spec. but getting Cosworth involved is a great idea. Motor-racing people through and through. The've supported the sport for years, the contract is just reward for that support!
The idea of having an off the shelf engine that is at least vaguely reasonable in terms of performance and could possibly challenge for podiums when put in a decent chassis makes sense. combined with a reduction in entry and running costs, i think it would attract new teams.

Imagine it, a mix of cosworth powered independents alongside a few works backed teams.
hang on a minute, that sounds awfully familiar... :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 06:38PM by marwood82.
Date: December 05, 2008 06:41PM
Posted by: Monza972
Why with the Cosworth. Its totally known that teams will use their own engine except for the private companies. Can you imagine a Ferrari powered by Cosworth. Hilarious Situation ;)
Date: December 05, 2008 06:48PM
Posted by: Craigo
Nice vid chet, worrying for him in it
Date: December 05, 2008 06:58PM
Stan Wrote:
> IWE Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > True! it wont die, but in most xtreme case
> after
> > next season there might not be more than 14
> cars
> > if even that. Bernie or all teams together
> might
> > end to pay costs (cosworth engines etc..) of
> new
> > private teams to fill the grid.
> >
> > F1 would be big failure like A1gp!
>
>
> holy drama queen batman!

Says the copycat..

Date: December 05, 2008 06:59PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
but getting Cosworth involved is a great idea.

No it isn't. Cosworth is owned by Kevin Kalkoven, one of the men responsible for the death of Champ Car. He doesn't know his elbow from his arsehole.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: December 05, 2008 07:26PM
Posted by: chet
[www.guardian.co.uk]

I do hope this is true.
Then again IF Honda get's a decent buyer then I would like Jenson to stay there for 09. I have faith in what would have been the RA109. And hopefully much of the technical staff will remain.

If true, its something Jenson will ahve to consider a great deal. Will STR think he is good enough to wait for though, ie will JB wait until Honda's buyer is known then sign? Will STR wait for his decision or say look we have lots of guys wanting to driver our car, here is a pen and paper.

Again, if this is true and he could be offered a test for this coming Jerez test, should he refuse? I mean does he think for himself or for the team? What would the team think about him givign his positive talk, then a few days later testing for another team? Difficult.

edit - craig very worrying :( Not only for him but the 700 odd people also. I am grateful for Brawn at this time, he seems like he really wants to get things moving again. Without Brawn, Fry would very much be in a difficult place and we would probably never see him again!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 07:28PM by chet.
Date: December 05, 2008 09:00PM
Posted by: danm
honda have the infrastructure to develop a lot better.

removing the limitations the japanese way of working slowed their progress a LOT! by that, i remember certain high rankign japanese motorcycle people being given the job to design the car... foolish! (i could be a bit wrong there though, just what i vaguely remember).

as for jenson, the franz tozst link is pretty good - but my god red bull have a LOT of backup drivers! i can see jenson and bourdais as teammates and doing rather well actually... lets not forget this will be an adrian newey car, with a ferrari engine inside and we all know how nicely that was going last season.

it could give jenson a chance to shine in a better machine to prove his abilities, and who knows, red bull main team promotion or replacing Kovy (i wish!).

button would fit well with the red bull frame i think, got a nice look and ring to it! :D

hes also paired with sato before, both work well together.

lets hope....

would you stay with brawn and the honda car, knowing it might be a crap one off chance buyer who goes bust in a year or two.... or do you head for torro rosso, a decent enough car and engine, and chances for a better deal... but is also going to be sold off.

so tough. if i was jenson, id take the torro rosso test, as a show, and top the timetables of all the candidates to show he is quick and capable, just to silence some of his critics.

if he does go for toro rosso, it will be him and buemi the favourites, as buemi has pretty much got the seat, the rest are tryouts for an experienced teammate for him, they have been quoted as saying.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 09:04PM by danm.
Date: December 05, 2008 09:48PM
Posted by: elemental
I'd prefer Sato to get it because I think this is his last chance, Jenson will get a couple more.
Date: December 05, 2008 11:31PM
Posted by: willward
IWE Wrote:
> True! it wont die, but in most xtreme case after
> next season there might not be more than 14 cars
> if even that. Bernie or all teams together might
> end to pay costs (cosworth engines etc..) of new
> private teams to fill the grid.
>
> F1 would be big failure like A1gp!

about a1gp just think if f1 had the same car engine etc.. it would save so mmuch money

honda

lets stop working on the 2008 car lets focus on are 2009 car

after 1 test lets pull out

this has really upset me ... my favourite team dropping out

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2008 11:48PM by willward.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy