Date: November 17, 2008 11:46AM
Posted by: Nickv
Maybe slicks will improve it too.

And remember, it's only an interim car. It can always get worse :P
Re: The Testing and How will the cars look in 2009 Thread
Date: November 17, 2008 11:58AM
Posted by: marcl
It looks so bad from the front.
Well those look utterly ridiculous. Suddenly the IRL Dallaras are sexy.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
More pictures... From some angles, it doesn't look too bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
It looks like old A1GP cars.... But it's the first time since 2005 that we have big changes in F1 shape! The tyres look too big with these new shapes!
1. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR3 1:21.071 39 pit
2. T. Sato Toro Rosso STR3 1:21.107 +0.036 28 pit
3. A. Wurz Honda RA106 1:21.198 +0.127 22 pit
4. P. de la Rosa McLaren MP4-23 1:21.417 +0.346 23 pit
5. G. Paffett McLaren MP4-23 1:22.371 +1.300 17 pit
6. R. Kubica BMW Sauber F1.08 1:22.899 +1.828 30 pit
7. L. Badoer Ferrari F2008K 1:23.515 +2.444 20 pit
8. N. Hülkenberg Williams FW30 1:23.757 +2.686 44 pit
9. A. Sutil Force India VJM-01 1:23.852 +2.781 36 pit
10. C. Klien BMW Sauber F1.08 1:23.896 +2.825 20 pit
11. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R28 1:23.909 +2.838 39 pit
12. S. Loeb Red Bull Racing RB4 1:24.044 +2.973 29 pit
13. M. Gene Ferrari 248 F1 1:24.560 +3.489 5 pit
14. V. Liuzzi Force India F8-VII 1:25.645 +4.574 26 pit
15. L. Di Grassi Honda RA108 1:25.972 +4.901 33 pit

S. Loeb is not too bad in my opinion!
Looks like the Ferrari has four air intakes on the side now. I thought we'd get some weird looking cars, and we have!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
flat tyre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like the Ferrari has four air intakes on the
> side now.

I'm sure the Jordan 195 had a similar concept going on with the sidepods, but can't find a picture anywhere.

>I thought we'd get some weird looking cars, and we have!

It's like 1983 all over again ;)

These 09 cars will be uglier than hell , if it depended only on these terms of beauty I would stick to the current ones surely(would only add slicks) and that's it rather than go for this 09 "thing" who looks like some single seater from amateurish category.

and this front wing makes it look like a fckin tractor.
Date: November 17, 2008 12:56PM
Posted by: marcl
They look like Formula Palmer Audi cars.

I really dont see the point in Ferrari testing new parts with the old wings, they willl probably work completly different with 2009 wings.
Date: November 17, 2008 12:59PM
Posted by: gav
I did say on the previous page that it doesn't matter how they looked, but every time I see that BMW from a new angle I crack up. It looks so out of proportion from the side. :D

Looking at the Ferrari, is there a bit more scope for thought than anyone ever could have hoped for, let alone expected?

marcl Wrote:
> I really dont see the point in Ferrari testing new
> parts with the old wings, they willl probably work
> completly different with 2009 wings.

I'm sure they'll have plenty of data from the wind tunnel and simulations, they just want to see if that data corresponds on the track. And if they don't have the designs for their '09 aero package, any data they do get would be just as pointless. Might as well test it with a package they know inside-out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 01:01PM by gav.
i thought that the extra air intakes were for KERS cooling.

PMSL!!!

marcl Wrote:
> They look like Formula Palmer Audi cars.
>
> I really dont see the point in Ferrari testing new
> parts with the old wings, they willl probably work
> completly different with 2009 wings.

Back on the track

Formula 1 has no brake. Two weeks after the Championships' exciting end we're back on the track. As of tomorrow almost all the teams - except Toyota - will test at the Circuit de Catalunya, near Barcelona, to start with the preparations for the upcoming season

For Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro the two official testdrivers Luca Badoer and Marc Gene will be behind the wheel, using two F2008: a standard version, the one that won the Constructors' Title in Brazil, and a version with modified aerodynamics to simulate the downforce that cars will use in 2009. The test program includes reliability tests of the engine, the set up and the development of new components. The cars will not be fitted with the KERS, but one will simulate its load to analyze the car's behaviour. Obviously as of now slicks will be used.

The Scuderia will be on the track also on Thursday and Friday, when a very special driver will sit behind the F2008's wheel: Valentino Rossi.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 01:13PM by Rodrigo007.
Date: November 17, 2008 02:07PM
Posted by: chet
The BMW looks abit like a hillclimb car!

Certainly some interesting points. Apparently teams are now allowed 3 rear wing planes? (which looks much nicer!) The rear endplates look quite good too I think. Ive always liked the idea of large deep endplates.

Sidepods are quite pretty, without bargeboards I dont expect there to be as much undercut as this year.

I dont find it ugly, just odd. But as Dave said, that horrible toy like looking Dallara IRL car now seems alot prettier!

But yeah not too bad, however that horrible growth on the Ferrari is not too pleasing to the eye!

But now officially, Sportscars have become the best looking cars on the planet. Then again, they were before :p!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 17, 2008 02:21PM
Posted by: SAMF1
more angle

williams car look better than bmw to be honest. i hate the bmw nose and frontwing.....hideous

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2008 02:42PM by SAMF1.
the rear wing does look good on the bmw, but the front .. front w.. i cant even call that thing a wing :\

Date: November 17, 2008 03:03PM
Posted by: Ali
But is that the 2009 car? I guess is some kind of prototype...
The rear wings look far too narrow. I know they're reducing downforce, but that just looks unnatural for an F1 car. The front wing looks OK. But TBH the whole thing looks a bit... bare, compared to this year's car. I'm worried for the driver's safety, as that cockpit side looks far too exposed.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

I am just amazed by how bad the BMW looks, it's looks the drawings I'd do when i was 7, everythings out of proportion, i mean seriously if they all look this stupid the sports going to get laughed at.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy