The Testing and How will the cars look in 2009 Thread

Posted by BAR#10 
The Testing and How will the cars look in 2009 Thread
Date: August 28, 2008 06:29PM
Posted by: BAR#10
Heidfeld fastest today in Monza, Massa was best yesterday.
[www.f1today.nl]

GPGSL career;
Current team: Team ShadowSubaru, Previous teams: MPR, Minardi
starts:100 Wins: 12, Podiums: 34, Fastest Laps: 14, poles: 12 Points: 708
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 08:00PM by BAR#10.
Re: The Testing Thread
Date: August 28, 2008 06:48PM
Posted by: chet
Yesterday Honda ran what looked to be a medium-ish downforce setup, visually they had ALOT more wing than everybody. Today they ran quite a different car, very much setup for Monza - looked alot different but the quickest time was quite abit slower.

Anyway, I do like the look of the cars in low-downforce trim. They really do look quite sexual :p Especially the BMW and ForceIndia.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 28, 2008 06:53PM
Posted by: BAR#10
I've gotten so used to the winglets that seeing a car without it feels like there's something missing.
Imagine, 2009 cars could look something like 2001. Original GP4 would be spot on, LOL.

GPGSL career;
winner of Belgian GP (s1), Australian GP (s1), Canadian GP (S1), Brazilian GP(s4, s5), Hungarian GP(s3), Italian GP(s3), French GP (s5,s7), Monaco GP (s4) and USA GP
Date: August 28, 2008 07:29PM
Posted by: flat tyre
BAR#10 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've gotten so used to the winglets that seeing a
> car without it feels like there's something
> missing.
> Imagine, 2009 cars could look something like 2001.
> Original GP4 would be spot on, LOL.

I know what you mean. It will be strange, but in a good way!

After reading the rules I imagine the 2009 cars to look like a mix between 1993 and 2000:

This is McLaren's Monza package for this year. This may give us an idea of what next year may be like, as it hides many of the winglets:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 07:33PM by flat tyre.
Date: August 28, 2008 07:37PM
Posted by: Bruninho
That 1993 mclaren, apart of its underpowered engine, looks gorgeous. I would love to see F1s in that shape again.

The low downforce Toyota looks cool too!

Date: August 28, 2008 07:38PM
Posted by: Gusgus
BAR#10 Wrote:
> Imagine, 2009 cars could look something like 2001.

That won't happen though. They will look much more like early 90's ones, but in worse IMO. Rear wing will be strangely narrower (750mm against 1000 ATM) and higher (950 mm against 800 from the top plane of the skid block, same height as the engine cover). Front wing will be even different. Width will be 1800mm (was 1400 until then). It will have to be between 75 and 275mm above the skid block (now it's between 150 and 350, apart from the center of the wing). The main panel will be the same for all the cars, and the top sections will be moveable by the drivers twice a lap (6 degrees of movement allowed). But the worst is that so far in the regulations published at [www.fia.com], there is no rule that forbids shark fin engine covers (if I read correctly).

To sum, we will have pre 1997 cars, much less wide (including rear wing), with a low and oversized front wing and shark fin engine covers. It won't look good IMO :(

My workthread here
Date: August 28, 2008 07:42PM
Posted by: flat tyre
The width is one thing that disappoints me. A few weeks ago the FIA changed the 2009 rules - the cars were going to be as wide as they were pre 1998, but the FIA changed it so that the cars will stay the same width as this year. They also scrapped the rule to make the tyres fatter :(

Edit: To ban the shark fin engine covers, they should introduce a rule that the engine cover must not curve away from the car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 07:44PM by flat tyre.
Date: August 28, 2008 07:43PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Pedro de La Rosa and Gary Paffett tested the 2009 regs in their McLaren simulators and they were really optimistic about the chances of overtaking with them as well as the results of that test.

Date: August 28, 2008 07:59PM
Posted by: Gusgus
flat tyre Wrote:
> Edit: To ban the shark fin engine covers, they
> should introduce a rule that the engine cover must
> not curve away from the car.

Enunciated like that, this article would subject to interpretation from the teams. They just have to define a zone forward to the rear wing where nothing could be, this way everything would be clear.

My workthread here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 07:59PM by Gusgus.
updated the title,
I'd prefer the evolution of this year's look ... but if it brings overtaking, the said look is all good, I guess.

GPGSL career;
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

whoa, what if it looked like this.(found this on pf1forum)
Telegraph:"Ferrari design car too fast for a human to operate."

Maybe they had GPGSL AI series in mind when they designed it.;)

GPGSL career;

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 08:44PM by BAR#10.
BAR#10 schreef:
> [www.telegraph.co.uk]
> =/motoring/2008/08/27/nferrari127.xml
>
> whoa, what if it looked like this.(found this on
> pf1forum)
> Telegraph:"Ferrari design car too fast for a human
> to operate."
>
> Maybe they had GPGSL AI series in mind when they
> made it.;)

''Designer Iman Maghsoudi says future cars will be capable of travelling speeds of 125mph, too fast for a human to operate''

your sure? ;)

surely it's missing a number or has it mixed up.

EDIT, found more:
Furthermore, because ordinary humans don't have the necessary skills to handle speeds in excess of 125 miles per hour or 200 km/h, an automated computer system will takeover a lot of the controls at higher velocities.
SOURCE:[www.t3.com]

GPGSL career;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2008 08:52PM by BAR#10.

-The nose can't be lower than 200mm above the Reference Plane (the RP is 50mm above the ground)
-The center section of the front wing 500mm wide, is standard, its placement, incidence and profile is fixed and only one element (one airfoil section, the standard section) can be contained in this area. Its position is unknown but surely on the RP, in any case this section can't be higher than 125mm above the reference plane.
-only pillars are allowed in the standard section area between this and the bodywork highest point(275mm), so no bridge wings are allowed here.
-Outside of that area, the number of elements is not restricted, the width is the same than now.
-The movable parts are the flaps of the outer parts of the wing.
-Those outer parts can be 75mm from 100mm above the RP
-from a point between the front wing trailing edge to a point forward of the cockpit no bodywork other than the nose is allowed; this effectively cuts a part of the actual bargeboards
-Sidepods have a minimum radius in 3 defined volumes and must form a smooth continuous curve. Other than mirrors, no airfoil is authorized till the rear wheels (so no ramp wings).
-The shark fins are still allowed.
-The rear wing assemble must be with two central struts not more, not less.
-rear wing end plates must extend on the totality of the area covered by the struts+rear wing assembly.
-rear wings main elements are limited to two and must not be lower than 730mm above the RP
-An additional wing can be disposed between 200 and 400mm above the RP

Not seen/correction to be made/variations allowed:

-The front wing leading edge is to be before the nose end
-The end plates will be like the ones used this year
-An integrated bargeboard and lower sidepods structure is allowed, just at the entry of the cockpit, below 100mm above the RP, in this area turning vanes are autorized (but simpler)
-Sidepods can have more cut (do not need to be squarish)
-Diffuser central section that could go up to 400mm above RP is banned, all width is restricted to 175mm above RP, but instead of only that central section, next year all width of the diffuser will be allowed to lie on the RP (this year, except the central section 300mm wide, the other parts, 700mm wide had to be 50mm above RP).
that front wing is way too big
Re: The Testing and How will the cars look in 2009 Thread
Date: August 28, 2008 10:15PM
Posted by: IWE
Car like this would look simply perfect, if not counting incredible badly fitting wings and engine cover. Specially rear wing looks childish and I guess its because it was designed for those wider tires.

So thin car and front wing wide enought to push snow away from Finnish streets.. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
The prediction in this week's autosport looks pretty good, very reminiscent of the '93 McLaren.

Is the picture skinnyman posted the one that is in this weeks' Autosport?

The car looks great, MUCH better than what we have now. It is very reassuring to see a picture like this, it almost confirms that what we wanted is happening. Perhaps this will be the start of the old F1 that we know and love, both in looks and action :)

To help myself to like the new sizes of the front and rear wing, I am hoping that it gives the illusion of the car looking similar to this (narrow rear wing):

If only we had the sparks too... ah i miss these damn sparks.

Re: The Testing and How will the cars look in 2009 Thread
Date: August 29, 2008 01:56AM
Posted by: chet
Flat tyre - The autosport model is so un-accurate its unreal! who would ahve thought for one of motorsports top magazines. The title is something like 'what F1 will look like in 09' fact is they've got a few things wrong lol!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy