Bernie wants to change F1 points system for 2008

Posted by MarcLister 
Re: Bernie wants to change F1 points system for 2008
Date: March 13, 2007 02:14PM
Posted by: chet
Meh, back to how it was imo.

But tbf, now MS has gone I reckon 'the win' will be more open than ever. And the two points will be more valuable than ever because there are a possibility of more winners.

We'll soon see.

But yeah, because of no dominance they're changing it ??

So next time we get an MS era of constant winning, ie. from *cough* JB will they want to change it back to 10-8-... ??

Make the right choice and stick with it, F1 has a thing about making right choices though doesnt it.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 13, 2007 02:15PM
Posted by: Nickv
I think you are. It's been changed some time ago, hence the whole thing when Prost went broke and Minardi would take it's money, which Prost would initially get if they hadn't gone broke.
Date: March 13, 2007 04:04PM
Posted by: rayg
12-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 Done!
Date: March 13, 2007 06:26PM
Posted by: nvooght
I agree with rayq just add 2 extra points to the win....simple and easy also with 6 points places SA and spyker wont get any points and maybe toro rosso....
I actually think the other way to most people here, I think the points should go for the top 10 places cos once you have both Ferraris, Mclarens, Renaults and BMW/Hondas in the points theres nothing to differentiate between the midfield teams. So i think maybe a 15-12-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 would work? Or maybe even 15-10-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1?

Date: March 13, 2007 06:54PM
Posted by: nvooght
Think the 1st one would work 3 points between top 2, 5 seams big.... might you i doubt all those teams will get to the end of all races...but even so...
Date: March 13, 2007 06:58PM
Posted by: Muks_C
it's up to those "lower" teams to up their performance to beat the top 3 teams. you can't tell me that SA don't have enough money, they are Honda's pet project, they must be rolling in cash!

Spyker is probably the smallest team on the grid, but how long till they get bought out by a massive worldwide company? why must we be made to feel sorry or sympathetic for the small teams? it's business, it's not charity.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
I know but assuming the top 5 teams have 80% reliability all season long, how the hell are you supposed to separate Williams Toyota RBR etc? You will end up having one wet race where a Spyker or something gets a lucky podium and thats how the scores will stay for the rest of the season, giving Spyker a higher position in the table despite being consistently slower than the midfield cars all season long

Date: March 13, 2007 07:15PM
Posted by: Nickv
Personally I don't see anything wrong in that ;)
Date: March 13, 2007 07:18PM
why do Williams and RBR need to be separated? if they spend their money the right way, they will do well and move up the standings.

and more likely than not, those lucky events equal themselves out, so if Spyker get lucky in 1 race and move up, Williams will get lucky in another race where Spyker didn't.

I thought something like 15-10-8-6-4-3-2-1 would work out, spacing the top placings so that more emphasis is on the win, and the lower placings are still valuable. Because, it's gonna be all about reliability again this season, and F1 isn't like it was back in the 80s and 90s with people falling off the track and 7 or 8 cars finishing a race. Even 2001 was fairer on the slower teams, Prost I remember got a few points thanks to Alesi's driving.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 13, 2007 10:18PM
yeah remember him trying to donut at the hairpin at Montreal, then throwing his helmet into the crowd?

Date: March 13, 2007 11:57PM
Posted by: Marco1
Some of you guys keep forgetting that we dont live in the late 90's. There are no longer any small teams. There are Car Manufacturers now. Teams vying to win so you will purchase their cars. Why should we reward BMW? RENUALT? MERCEDES? FIAT? HONDA? TOYOTA? Team's like Toro Rosso, Super Auguri are already owned by big companies. The days of Giancarlo Minardi working with a small staff for the dream of winning are now over. And have been over for awhile. They are not coming back. Formula One has moved on from the measly Million dollar days to the Billion Dollar days. Secondly, we aren't Cart, Indy or Nascar, this is formula one, we are supposed to award the team with the greatest package, speed, hunger, etc. Years ago, say 1994, I would have agreed with everyone, reward more teams, heck there were 26 cars on the field, no BMW, Toyota, etc... But now there are just huge car manufacturers and Energy drink tycoons running around. Let them fight for those top 6 positions. If they want the sales, they will do whatever they can to win, look at this months F1 Racing magazine, the chart showing the points per dollar... I dont think we need to reward these huge companies who are rich enough to start 2 teams. I think we need to see them fight each other for the maximum, those that invest their hundreds of millions the best win (look at Renault) and those who squander it on useless bureaucratic red tape will lose (toyota) either way, no other sport really gives us the biggest companies in the world fighting it out every two weeks, with speed and precision to get more sales. Welcome to capitalism, survival of the fittest, there are no longer any smaller men in formula one, only big faceless corporations. Why do they need help financially? Lets go back to the old system, Schumacher is gone, there will never be anyone like him again, lets get back to racing now!

Date: March 14, 2007 12:23AM
Marco, I bow to you, you summed up everything I was trying to say in 1 fantastic post, well done.

Date: March 14, 2007 08:34AM
Posted by: slider
In the late 80's early 90's, up to 40 cars would turn up. Pre-qualifying took care of the stragglers, Then, 26 cars would start the race. No one misses, Fondmetal, Coloni, Leyton-House and a whole bunch of others.

Rewarding the teams that finish outside the top 6/8 is not the issue. Forcing the contenders to fight for wins and not just points finishes is. Also, Bernie's other plan of the driver with the most wins, not the most points, wins the championship supports this.

Might be an interesting 2008.
Date: March 14, 2007 11:06AM
Posted by: mikef1
"No one misses, Fondmetal, Coloni, Leyton-House and a whole bunch of others."

Actually i was a bit of a fan of the Leyton-House team but otherwise i agree with the rest of your post.
Date: March 14, 2007 09:16PM
Posted by: slider
Yeah. Leyton-House, with Mauricio Gugelmin, was quite good. That turquoise car was a cool.
Date: March 14, 2007 11:15PM
How about with Ivan Capelli in '88, he did a great job.
Capelli in 90 at Paul Ricard.... man I wanna see that race!

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: March 15, 2007 11:01AM
He did an awesome job in that race, he could have won it it if wasn't for an engine problem. I believe that it was the last race that Adrian Newey had with the team before he went to Williams.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy