Bernie wants to change F1 points system for 2008

Posted by MarcLister 
Re: Bernie wants to change F1 points system for 2008
Date: March 23, 2007 03:17AM
Posted by: James
I'd like to see for a top 8...

15-10-8-6-4-3-2-1

This would make a driver actually want to win a race and provide better racing.

None of this 'i'm gonna settle for second and conserve my engine' crap, this would encourage a guy in 2nd or 3rd to pull his finger out and try to really push it - therefore more action

Thoughts?
Date: March 23, 2007 07:29AM
Posted by: danm
James Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to see for a top 8...
>
> 15-10-8-6-4-3-2-1
>
> This would make a driver actually want to win a
> race and provide better racing.
>
> None of this 'i'm gonna settle for second and
> conserve my engine' crap, this would encourage a
> guy in 2nd or 3rd to pull his finger out and try
> to really push it - therefore more action
>
> Thoughts?

LOL! The current difference between 1st, 2nd and third is already 2 points.

'None of this 'i'm gonna settle for second and conserve my engine' crap, this would encourage a guy in 2nd or 3rd to pull his finger out and try to really push it - therefore more action...

...Erm, well considering they alreay don't fight when there is a 2 point difference, why would they in 2008 when the difference is the same?

My suggestion would be to let more teams score, like top 10, or even the entire field.

It would mean lower teams can fight for something, other than the fight themselves into the barrier like normal.

I'd put foward a 15, 10, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 OR a 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

Or if it is still top 8 only, 20, 15, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. This last one would make the distinction of racing for the podium more elite, though the gaps look scary for not getting in the top 3.

That's why I think an all finishers get points would be nicer, because it would mean consistent but poor teams can get rewarded for their unseen efforts.

F1 Racing did an article a few years back where if the top 8 or 10 got points, the consisten drivers like fisichella and button moved into top spots in the championship standings, I think even Ralf Schumacher or JPM worked out to win the title in one year.

That said, what is most important in F1 - the most consisten driver all year, ie Alonso's with the odd hard gritted win, or Schumacker winners, dominative all year, the most wins but not entirely consistent. Or both. It depends on what is seen as the best.

I would say the most thorough and consistent, even though you don't get people praising Tiago Monteiro for his regularity of bringing the car home - no, instead it seems people highlight one off spectacular fights that happen once or twice a season, or the master overtaking moves and such.

All personal on what you each think the best skill is to posess in F1.

Spectacularness, or General Pace.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2007 07:31AM by danm.
Date: March 23, 2007 11:09AM
Posted by: Ali
Perhaps I'm a romantic, but I consider that scoring in F1 is difficult so I wouldn't like to have more than 8 drivers scoring. In fact, the old system already liked me (10-6-4-3-2-1). It gave a lot of value to each point. With the new system now it is more "easy" but if we increase the number of drivers scoring or the points that the winner gets I think it would lose a little of its value (20-15-12-10-8-6-4-3-2-1, for example, it's to similar to Motogp)...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy