Something that has confused me.....

Posted by **Taylor** 
Something that has confused me.....
Date: March 22, 2007 03:50PM
Posted by: **Taylor**
So Kimi Raikkonen's radio is supposed to have failed on the grid, meaning he had no radio contact with the team throughout the whole Australian GP....

Then why, on his slow down lap after crossing the finish line, did we hear Ferrari team radio of firstly Kimi congratulating the team, and then both Jean Todt & Chris Dyer congratulating him on his race...??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2007 03:51PM by **Taylor**.
Re: Something that has confused me.....
Date: March 22, 2007 04:02PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
lol yeh i wondered that too

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2007 04:02PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: March 22, 2007 04:02PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
sexy double post

[en-gb.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2007 04:02PM by iCeMaN pAuL.
Date: March 22, 2007 04:07PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
i didnt hear kimi, i only heard chris dyer and jean todt but no response...

Date: March 22, 2007 04:11PM
Posted by: mikef1
Maybe Ferrari thought Kimi could hear them and knew he could not respond, obviously they found out what happened when Kimi got out of the car.
Date: March 22, 2007 04:11PM
Posted by: ralv585
i think its something to do with encryption, during the race they don't want other teams to know what they are telling the drivers or what strategy changes they are making, so they encrypt their radio frequency.

but here i dont they could get the encryption to work so they opted to use radio silence.

so after the race, when all is said and done they can open up the channels for everyone to hear, i think last year, ferrari were the only team to not open the radio to broadcasters until the last few races.

i'm probably wrong because even without the encryption they could of said "keep pushing" "pit this lap" etc, and wouldn't have given too much away anyway.

but it turns out it was a plug defect.

Date: March 22, 2007 04:18PM
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i didnt hear kimi, i only heard chris dyer and
> jean todt but no response...

Kimi spoke first - Definitely - I remember thinking 'What?' when in the press conference he was saying it hadn't worked all race - I'd taped it so I went back to it after the program had finished & played that bit again - It's definitely a two way conversation.

But why would they make something like that up..?

*Baffled*

Date: March 22, 2007 04:26PM
Posted by: Muks_C
also when they're in parc ferme, Kimi and Jean are walking and just before they start to climb the stairs, Kimi is fiddling with the cable coming from his helmet, and he points to the connector and says something to Todt.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 22, 2007 04:31PM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
**Taylor** schreef:
> Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i didnt hear kimi, i only heard chris dyer and
> > jean todt but no response...
>
> Kimi spoke first - Definitely - I remember
> thinking 'What?' when in the press conference he
> was saying it hadn't worked all race - I'd taped
> it so I went back to it after the program had
> finished & played that bit again - It's definitely
> a two way conversation.
>
> But why would they make something like that up..?
>
> *Baffled*

I would bet i didnt hear kimi... i think ur confusing one of the team members as I didnt hear the sound of kimi and the noises of the car with it.

Date: March 22, 2007 04:33PM
Posted by: tripleM
"but it turns out it was a plug defect."

Nice post.

I am not certain but i think Raikkonen somehow managed to unplug the radio during the warm-up lap and was able to plug it back towards the end of the race or the cool down lap

Date: March 22, 2007 04:41PM
Posted by: danny87
Yeah he had enough time on his hands, probably plugged it back in when he had that minor off ;)

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".
Date: March 22, 2007 04:41PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Kimi has said it was a plug defect in this article, near the bottom: [www.itv-f1.com]

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: March 22, 2007 04:42PM
Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> **Taylor** schreef:
> -----
> > Iceman-Kimi Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > i didnt hear kimi, i only heard chris dyer
> and
> > > jean todt but no response...
> >
> > Kimi spoke first - Definitely - I remember
> > thinking 'What?' when in the press conference
> he
> > was saying it hadn't worked all race - I'd
> taped
> > it so I went back to it after the program had
> > finished & played that bit again - It's
> definitely
> > a two way conversation.
> >
> > But why would they make something like that
> up..?
> >
> > *Baffled*
>
>
> I would bet i didnt hear kimi... i think ur
> confusing one of the team members as I didnt hear
> the sound of kimi and the noises of the car with
> it.

Well maybe we'll have to agree to disagree, but I am 100% sure the first voice is Kimi, plus, we agree there are 3 voices - the last 2 are definitely Todt & Dyer - I don't think anyone else would necessarily have authority to speak to Kimi on the radio (not including Luca Di Montezemolo..!) - even on a slow down lap - and definitely not before Todt had said his piece. If no-one has taped over the GP i'll see if I can tell exactly what's said when I get home from work - Then it'll be pretty clear who is talking - Unless anyone else has it to hand...?

@ tripleM - Yeah - That's a pretty feasible explanation I suppose - Maybe he wasn't able to do it whilst at racing speeds - But then again - Why didn't he or a team member attempt it on a pit-stop..?

Date: March 22, 2007 04:42PM
Posted by: mikef1
I don't think that was Kimi who spoke first on the victory lap Taylor, though it sounded a bit like him. Apparently Ferrari have a military spec communiations system that has given them a few problems in the past.

Edit: I've just checked my DVD of the ITV race and the first voice says: "fantastic drive, great job, great job." I very much doubt that was Kimi who said that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2007 04:54PM by mikef1.
Date: March 22, 2007 04:43PM
Posted by: vesuvius
taken from Autosport.com :

"We had some minor problems in Melbourne, the biggest of which was the malfunctioning of the radio, caused by a plug defect. It all began as soon as I got into the car on the grid: from there on I could not communicate anymore with the pitwall. Fortunately we had planned the race down to minute detail and I just concentrated on this program over the 58 laps.

"We knew that the start was crucial: I gave my all to hold the position I had conquered the day before and I succeeded. Once ahead of the pack after the first turn, things became slightly easier, although I could not communicate with my engineer Chris Dyer.

"We knew that our rhythm in the race was very competitive: I did not have to go to the limit, but maybe if the radio had worked I would have gone faster.

"On one occasion - just about ten laps before the end the race - I almost fell asleep! I got distracted, my concentration levels dropped a bit and I locked the wheels and took Turn Three slightly too wide: even without radio I knew that they were saying: 'Kimi, wake up!'

"The team had lots to do keeping me informed with the display boards. A couple of times I couldn't see them, because it was difficult to distinguish them from the ones of the other teams.

"When I passed the chequered flag it was a really emotional moment and it was fantastic to celebrate together with the boys from the pitwall. It was a moment I would never have missed for anything in the world."
Date: March 22, 2007 04:45PM
Posted by: tripleM
Ahh.

But did he hear the message or not?

Or things like that are not confusing/important to the people running Ferrari's website?

We must get to the bottom of this.

Date: March 22, 2007 04:51PM
Posted by: rayg
Kimi def spoke to wall he said some thing like the car was grate boys thanks
Date: March 22, 2007 04:56PM
Posted by: gary42
Ah well, if it did break at least he didn't try to fix it like Albers.....

Date: March 22, 2007 04:58PM
Posted by: marcl
Kimi said he could not comunicate with the team maybe his ear phone failed looks like it did.

So ferrari probably just said the stuff for the press to hear, dont blame them.

Brundle said at the time after the praise that kimi returned the praise with silence. Now we know y
Date: March 22, 2007 05:08PM
Posted by: danny87
I've just listed to that bit, and i can clearly hear Raikkonen say "Fantastic guys great job, great job", and it sounds like him

-----------------------------------------------

"When you begin in this sport you are given a chequebook. Every time you have a big one you must write a check to the angels. The trick is to finish your career before you empty the chequebook".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy