Brundle attacks Michael

Posted by Ellis 
Re: Brundle attacks Michael
Date: January 10, 2004 08:35AM
Posted by: Oleg
I've heard many things about this race, but haven't known exactly what happened... what's the story?

The 1998 Monaco GP was the first F3000 race at that circuit having replaced the F3 race.It was also the first race where Montoya caught the eye of many people with his charging style.

Qualifying wasn't so successful for Montoya.After 4 poles in the first 4 races he could only qualify 7th.

After a clean start which few people predicted the race settled down to a typical Monaco procession.Up until...Montoya, who had been all over Sarrazin, spotted a gap and muscled past at the Chicane to set off in pursuit of Davies.It wasn't the cleanest of moves...but at Monaco any overtake should be noted.After that Montoya was charging.After catching Davies up, he harassed him mercilessly, finally getting through on Lap 21.

And then it was were it all started to go wrong.Overtaking Rodriguez by cutting the chicane ment that he was a given a 10 second penalty.He rejoined in 6th behind Sarrazin and quickly muscled past him setting off again after Davies with the battle finally ending two laps from the end when
the Colombian rammed Davies at Loews, picking up a puncture and losing
his nose wing in the process.

Undoubtably it was a drive of the race allthough the moves on both Rodriguez and on Davies second time around were ill-considered and had apparently not been thought through and some overtaking moves were also bordering on illegal.

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Date: January 10, 2004 09:56AM
Posted by: Ellis
For a start Montoya wasn't on the inside. He'd already backed off after going round the outside of the first part of the chicane, but then kind of lunged forward again, going for a rapidly closing gap that was never going to be big enough.

Erm, He didnt "back off", rubens had the inside line, its the faster line, os he pulled ahead slightly. Under braking cars always close up distance. The gap wud have been big enough, but rubens closed it and gave no room at all.

No, he didn't do that, because they're good friends. When he was interviewed, he avoided making any comment about JPM, just saying he was disappointed that he's missed a great opportunity for a great race and that was all he cared about.

I used "slagged off" because that was the term given before. And Rubens was CLEARLY upset/annoyed at what had happened, but refused to comment after seeing the accident

And you still have no answer for Alonso being turned into a Lawn mower at 190mph by the safe driver that is Michael Schumacher? Thats nothing like Montreal 1998 at all is it? Its nothing like putting your car so far accorss the track, your own brother had the choice of slow down or get put in the wall is it?

Oleg, your point about Monaco may be valid (i havent seen any videos, so i wont comment), but your not trying to defend Michael by using others driving standards are you? Michael wasnt exactly known for keeping the car on the road in his early days either...

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 10, 2004 10:02AM
Posted by: marcl
I heard and read about the monaco race but then many drivers have had races like that there same happens and macu.

If u wanna see MS going off the road alot watch the 1993 review spin after spin after spin. At nearly every weeked he either crashed in warm up or the quali.

From what i remember he went off alot in 1992 as well.

But they were in the early days of his F1 days.

We all have our views and brundle has his, remember though he has seen the best from the 80's 90' and 00's.

Post Edited (01-10-04 17:08)

Date: January 10, 2004 10:13AM
Oleg, your point about Monaco may be valid (i havent seen any videos, so i wont comment), but your not trying to defend Michael by using others driving standards are you? Michael wasnt exactly known for keeping the car on the road in his early days either...

No,the point being is Montoya sometimes can make debatable moves too.Nothing to do with Michael,just pointing out that like many F1 drivers the criticism of their driving behaviour is just and cannot be dismissed on the basis that it makes racing more exciting(although i admit it was the best Monaco F3000 race ever and nearly earned Montoya a place at Stewart).

Everything in the past is better than today.It's true,I read it on the internet.
Date: January 10, 2004 11:16AM
No,the point being is Montoya sometimes can make debatable moves too.

So do all drivers, so whats the point? Drivers make mistakes all the time. Some do it delbratly. Some drivers just dont seem to learn.

since i have not seen the video, i wouldnt like to fully judge, but JPMs accidetns sounded quite delbrate, but since there hasnt been much after that i would say hes learnt his lesson?

Michael on the other hand seems quite happy to carry on forcing people of the road.

See the difference?

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: January 10, 2004 11:30AM
Posted by: -{TETSUO}-
Don't know which Indy race some of you have been watching but Rubens had the inside line into turn one and then the outside to turn two. Montoya was on the inside with I'd say half a car behind rubens side by side. Rubens didn't leave enough room and Montoya was penalised and yet when Montoya pulls the same stunt at Sepang he is penalised again. But the point is all these incidents were just that incidents, racing incidents. It's the reason we tune in every two weeks. Shumacher on the other hand will set out to harm or endanger another driver who threatens his position. He's done it to Mika at Adelaide when he backed off the gas as Mika went to pass. Mika ran in the back of him. He's done it to Hill on several occasion although this did give the green light to Hill to return the compliment at any opportunity. That why we loved Hill so much. He's done it to JV, Coulthard, Alonso I could go on but at some point a driver has had his race\ life threatened by an over eager cheat. I was sat at that corner at Silverstone when Shumacher made that move on Alonso. What if Alonso had lost the car and ploughed into the wall at 180mph? Would have been nasty. 20 years ago this sort of thing was accepted by most drivers but today that time has gone but Shumacher insists on some of the old school tactics. One day someone's going to put him in a wall hard and it's going to hurt like hell. I hope that day comes soon so he can speed his long overdue retirement.

The clouds will part and the sky cracks open and god himself will reach his F***ing arm through JUST TO PUSH YOU DOWN JUST TO HOLD YOU DOWN
Date: January 10, 2004 11:44AM
You have problems.Really.

Date: January 10, 2004 12:34PM
Posted by: Pooky
i like shcumacher actually. i really do

because reading about him, and reading about his life and autobiography etc. i feel i maybe know a bit more of what he like as a person,

than all the crap that people think he is like.

Date: January 10, 2004 12:45PM
Posted by: theShadow
I don't think a good thump into the wall or even a bad crash at high speed really ever causes drivers to hang it up. Schumacher's already smashed head on and broken his legs, all of Hakkinen's glory days were after he went into a coma from the Adelaide crash. Most drivers make a practical decision on when to hang it up, not a fear based one. Michael's only going to quit when he's broken every single record, including most GP's and poles. The cars now are safe enough to let him do that, but if he had started driving in 1970 he wouldn't have survived.
Date: January 10, 2004 12:49PM
Well i hope he dont break the pole record and it look like he will probably not due to the rules
Date: January 10, 2004 02:23PM

because reading about him, and reading about his life and autobiography etc. i feel i maybe know a bit more of what he like as a person,

Im sure hes a perfectly likeble bloke. But this isnt what kind of person he is, this is his driving standards and his attotude towards the safety of others

Date: January 11, 2004 01:30PM
Posted by: Swooping Falcon
what happened in '94 between hill and schumacher?

all i ever heard is that schmacher took hill out so he would win the championship and then tried to do the same to villeneuve in '97!

Date: January 11, 2004 01:54PM
Damon botched up the overtaking.

Or

Schumacher deliberately took him out.

Date: January 11, 2004 02:02PM
Posted by: Zcott
I don't think Damon was at fault for '94. If anything it was either:

Schumacher's steering was damaged after hitting the wall.

Or

Schumacher deliberately took him out.

Date: January 11, 2004 02:06PM
You know i would have agreed,but considering that Damon has an impressive record in collisions when he was the overtaking car which mostly were his fault this option should not be dismissed.

Date: January 11, 2004 02:17PM
Posted by: Zcott
But look at the replay. Damon is forced to use the kerb and more just to get out of the way, and still doesn't manage it. I'm quite sure that Damon was the innocent party. I'll agree that he was most likely guilty for the Monza and Silverstone crashes in '95, but Adelaide wasn't his fault.

Date: January 11, 2004 02:27PM
At the end of the day MS turned in on DH but DH should never have put his car at risk like that. Saying that though at that time MS did not have a reputation on turning in on people.

I though italy 1995 MS was found to have broke early? dont know if that is true or not.

Silverstone was 100% DH fault.
Date: January 11, 2004 02:31PM
Ahh,let's not get into this again.It's a dead horse which i won't beat up again.Michael Schumacher caused the incident through reckless negligence, but that there is no evidence whatsoever apart from the circumstantial evidence of motive and opportunity that he intended for this to happen.

[forums.atlasf1.com]

I think it's a fair review.

Date: January 11, 2004 02:56PM
Posted by: Pooky
between damon and schuey adelaide 1994??

well had to say, damon should have used his brain and been patient to overtake schuey instead of jumping on him like that,

i personally think it was a 50 / 50 incident.

schumacher just defended his line, and hill overtook in an awkward place

Date: January 11, 2004 03:35PM
He didnt know Michaels car was damaged. Michael knew it, and that was the only way he would win the title same as 1997

In 1994 Damon didnt have a badrecord for hitting cars....in 1995 he had a pretty shocking record though

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy