2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by madotter 
Re: 2012 Malaysian Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: March 21, 2012 06:11PM
Posted by: J i m
Trulli boasted that he was offered a Ferrari drive when he was at Toyota... But bringing him in now when he's had no time in that car, only 1 day testing in the Caterham since the Brazilian Grand Prix.. to be honest he'd probably not do a great deal better than Massa.. Infact it'd probably be Badoer, Fisichella 2009 all over again.

And he's not exactly a long term prospect for Ferrari in F1 either is he?

To names crop up for long term prospect... Sergio Perez who is basically the most advanced Ferrari protege and is now established as a f1 star of the future or Jamie Alguersauri who's twiddling his thumbs when he isn't having to put up with James Allen. He'd certainly be worth a shot.

Date: March 21, 2012 06:38PM
Posted by: marcl
I also don't think Massa has long at Ferrari, I don't expect to see him in the car come Silverstone. But I think they will give him a few more races with this new chassis to see if that was the problem.

I think they will really struggle here though so will be interesting to see.

I think it will be a Merc on pole if their drivers do not make errors but the race will be between Mclaren and RbR as the Merc eats it tyres.
Date: March 21, 2012 06:54PM
Posted by: chet
Bite the bullet and put a rookie in the car! Put Bianchi in!

Or hell, even Jamie A or Buemi would be almost as good IMO.

If Ferrari are to replace Massa, I hope they at least make it an exciting one, they are risking replacing him, so why not risk using a driver who could actually be a relative long term replacement?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: March 21, 2012 07:27PM
Ferrari don't tend to put rookies in their cars... They let other teams develop their drivers into racers.

But since Alguersauri has 2 & half years behind him now yet is still one of the youngest f1 drivers around he'd be a excellent long term prospect. He did a pretty impressive job for STR regardless of Helmut Marko's aspirations on his potential to be a winner.

Date: March 21, 2012 07:43PM
Posted by: Slash

about the Massa chassis.. hmm interesting... i believe Mercedes did that with Michael in 2010 after China...

Maybe Ferrari found something wrong in Massa's chassis and are trying to hide it to save face yet again from an embarrasing start of the season?
i don't think it'll change much to be honest, Massa's been mentally defeated by Alonso and he won't get over it, too weak mentally..
I'd definitely put Alguersuari in the car. I doubt that his head would drop in the same way Massa's did due to the Alonso favouritism.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 21, 2012 09:01PM
Posted by: gav
They might as well keep him in, as I can't see an outsider doing any better. Perez and Alguersuari are young enough to adapt quickly I guess, but realistically they're going to struggle to better Massa.

Personally I can only see Perez getting the role, which would be a shame as I'm looking forward to seeing if Sauber can deliver on their Melbourne promise this year.
Date: March 22, 2012 12:36AM
Posted by: Frantic
i would like Ferrari to put Trulli in the car, altough he hasnt driven a F1 car recently. He is friend with Alonso, the italians love him, its hard to overtake him and it would give him a nice ending to his career (something I think he deserves). also it could leave a door open for an eventual comeback for Kubica in 2013 if all the rumours are true, or for Perez to have a 2nd complete season at Sauber.

I dont think Trulli would do a bad job. The 2009 Ferrari was awful to drive not only because it was pure @·$#~·$, also the steering wheel was really really complex compared to the other cars. I remember hearing that was Fisichella main problem. (Badoer was just slow, mainly because he hadnt raced in a F1 car since 10 years before...). When Alonso arrived to Ferrari, one of the first things he made with the engineers was to simplify the steering wheel, so that problem is in teory solved. I would give Jarno a chance, and then at the end of the season or if he struggles too much I would give him a seat in the World Endurance Championship ;)

Date: March 22, 2012 03:06AM
Posted by: flat tyre
I'd like to see either Trulli or Alguesuari in the Ferrari. I'm not sure whether Trulli would do well or not, but it'd be nice to see him have a go there. And if they go for Jaime then it will be an all spanish driver line up - continuing the trend set by german mercedes and british mclaren!

Out of interest, when was the last time Ferrari had a rookie driver? I can't think of any at all...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: March 22, 2012 04:26AM
Posted by: Frantic
Im pretty sure Ricardo Rodriguez and Clay Regazzoni started their careers with Ferrari but i cant remember anyone else that had started his career since then. Also Gilles Villeneuve raced always with Ferrari except for his debut GP that was with a McLaren...

Date: March 22, 2012 09:51AM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They might as well keep him in, as I can't see an
> outsider doing any better. Perez and Alguersuari
> are young enough to adapt quickly I guess, but
> realistically they're going to struggle to better
> Massa.

They'd be taking a risk in disrupting the continuity, that's true. But at the same time it seems to me that Massa has lost all his enthusiasm and even his interest in his current drive. At least if they brought Trulli in for the rest of the season(essentially a whole season since there would still be 18 races left), those things wouldn't be in question. And Trulli is unquestionably more talented than Massa too.
Whatever happens, I can't see Trulli doing any worse than a guy who qualifies 16th and then crashes into other cars in the race.

and the test in barcelona in april should help trulli adapt too
Date: March 22, 2012 12:23PM
Posted by: danm
Rubens! :P

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
"To cope with the tough conditions that are always a feature of this race, Pirelli are bringing their P Zero Silver hard compound for the first time, together with the P Zero White medium tyre seen in Australia. "

does this mean good news for mercedes, which eats its tyres ?
Date: March 22, 2012 12:47PM
Posted by: elemental
I wonder if the silver and white tyres will look that different on track.
Date: March 22, 2012 12:48PM
We'll see.

Even Mercdes themselves seemed surprised by their degregation issues at Melbourne... yet all through Barcelona testing the Merc was the car that was pointed out for it's high drop off in lap-time over a stint.

Schumacher downplayed that both then and now... Rosberg though is admitting that they need to compromise their setup more towards the race and sacrifice out right one lap speed for qualifying.

Date: March 22, 2012 02:32PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
chet Wrote:
> Bite the bullet and put a rookie in the car! Put
> Bianchi in!

It didn't help Grosjean!

EC83 Wrote:
> And Trulli is
> unquestionably more talented than Massa too.

How do you get to that conclusion? Trulli had some good races, particularly in 2004 and 2005, but never had a sustained run of form as Massa did. From 2007 to Germany 2009, Massa scored more points than anyone except for Hamilton, and Lewis only scored two more with him (and obviously if you exclude Singapore...).

X (@ed24f1)
J i m schrieb:

> Schumacher downplayed that both then and now...
> Rosberg though is admitting that they need to
> compromise their setup more towards the race and
> sacrifice out right one lap speed for qualifying.

i wonder if this could be due to the fact that michael knows how to manage his tyres better lately. For example he said he was not taking the maximum out of the car in australia. yet he was about 4 sec. clear of rosber on lap 10. Hm...
additionally, schuey is a smart monkey. he would ve spotted that tyres are what contributes to success today more than everything. maybe he s got something in the bag.
Date: March 22, 2012 04:55PM
Posted by: chet
SchueyFan Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bite the bullet and put a rookie in the car!
> Put
> > Bianchi in!
>
> It didn't help Grosjean!
>

Good point!!

Certainly I think replacing Massa would be good for Ferrari and Massa. Look at Heikki now at Caterham, he is thought of as a much better driver now. He was good at Renault, got killed by Lewis, and built his speed back up at Caterham, and now arguably deserving of a better seat again.

Massa needs a change of scenery. He's been with the team far too long without results. He is a top class driver, he was 1 point from a championship!! That talent or ability does not just vanish, he just needs to re-discover it somewhere else.

I am sure we all noted his engineer pointing out that he needed to take turn 11 a little slower.... Massa is a racing driver, he knows this yet apparently needed telling. It's clear to me that his mind hasn't been in the right place for a while now. He would not be short of driver offers if he left IMO. For the sake of his career, he needs to start looking at other teams. Likewise, for the sake of Ferrari not losing out to Lotus and Mercedes this year (who both have top drivers!) they need to get someone else in the car.

Massa is clearly a driver who craves attention and love. At Ferrari only Alonso will get that. We see it at Mclaren, although slightly different. Button needs that attention and loving, yet he was assertive and earned it himself. Massa need's the confidence to do the same but at Ferrari it looks like he has no confidence at all :(. He is a great guy so it's a shame to see this happen. I also can't help but feel he used his run in's with Lewis last year as an excuse for a poor season.

On to Malaysia, I cant help but think Lewis will come back strong and win, but then I hope im wrong, and Button wins again :p! If from the first 10 races Button can win 3, then I will start to get excited about another championship :). The race should be closer than Melbourne. Hopefully both the Lotus cars show well, and hopefully Merc are sorted out.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy