SAFETY CONFIRMED IN F1 2011 CODEMASTERS

Posted by SAT_LAB 
Re: SAFETY CONFIRMED IN F1 2011 CODEMASTERS
Date: September 27, 2011 01:18AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, it's definitely better than F1 2010... but
> then so was having a planet shoved up your arse.
>
> With a wheel and no aids, it's more drivable, and
> less frustrating (you don't spin every time you
> hit an inside kerb). The wet weather is more
> challenging with no aids (though I've not raced
> the AI in the wet, just driven a couple of laps of
> India to see what the track was like - which seems
> like typical Tilke @#$%& if you're wondering).
>
> I agree with the defending of positions. Just
> position your car in a decent position (like
> anywhere on the track) and they won't pass you
> unless you cock it up.
>
>
>
>
> Apparently if you increase suspension stiffness to
> max you suddenly gain seconds of time. Somebody's
> reported doing a lap of Melbourne in 55 seconds!
>
>
> I can't speak for Melbourne as so far I've only
> done a mini race at Singapore, where my best lap
> was a 1:46.xxx. Maxing the suspension and the
> anti-roll bars (just in case), I knocked that down
> to 1:43.xxx in a couple of laps.
>
> It definitely feels faster, and it minimises the
> Vettel-style+ power-slides, but at Singapore it
> seems nothing more than 2 or 3 seconds faster
> unless I'm missing a trick. I think most of my
> time gained was being able to apply the power far
> more aggressively and really attack the kerbs.
>
> Maybe it's more extreme on a track with more fast
> corners.

I have been trying this so-called cheat as well, but it only gains me about 2 or 3 seconds, same as with you. What I can say is that with the AI, it is perfectly balanced for me on legend. I qualify about 18th to 20th each race and finish about 15th to 20th each race, right on my objectives most on the time. Only minor bugger-up, that I can live with btw, was qualifying 4th a Sepang in the dry - but the AI set me straight in the race, dropping me to 11th on the first lap, with me running there defensively the whole race, until the honestly quite-well implemented fuel shortage caught me out with 2 corners to go on the final lap, making me stutter home in 15th.

That all was up to Monaco in a Virgin BTW. Oh, and I got a point at Monaco, but as you'd expect, many pile-ups, so that's how I got that.

Monaco is tough to lap someone on, btw. They do not get out of the way as I would expect... But humans don't do it properly there either, most of the time.

Probably my favourite feature is the way that DRS and KERS is implemented, it keeps you thinking all the time - combined with the fuel management, of course.

Also, the tyre wear, I think, is spot-on.

OK, I know, the laptimes are slightly faster than real life, but once again, it's not a sim.

What amazed me most about this game was its easy setup - I could almost just install it and run it, and it runs on High Gfx settings on my PC, as opposed to Medium on 2011. And the water puddles are there from the get-go this year :)

But as I said. ALMOST - biggest problem was having to specify my graphics settings as I wanted them, then having to change the hardware_settings_config.xml to use workermap4core on my pc, instead of its automatic use of workermap2core, and then change the core assignments to 3-3-1-0-2-3 - and then set it to read-only, otherwise it would default to workermap2core again.

But I think much better than 2010, and for once I could keep up with my closest rivals on Catalunya, which was impossible in 2010.

So, if you don't take it as a sim, and play it as a game with its inevitable flaws, it's mightily enjoyable.

If, however, you are looking at a full sim, you'll be disappointed - even if it's much closer to a sim, I think, than 2010 ever was.
Date: September 27, 2011 07:53AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Ho3n3r Wrote:
>
> I have been trying this so-called cheat as well,
> but it only gains me about 2 or 3 seconds

2 to 3 seconds is a massive amount of time in F1. I read a lot about this and it is consistent everywhere, it definitely has to be a glitch.
Date: September 27, 2011 08:16AM
Posted by: gav
We were disputing the 30 seconds gained by the guy Rams saw.
Date: September 27, 2011 11:59AM
Posted by: Rams
gav Wrote:
> We were disputing the 30 seconds gained by the guy
> Rams saw.

I read it on another forum, who said he read that on another forum ;)

It seems fuel sim is better modelled for AI this year but still a question mark over AI tyre wear:

[community.codemasters.com]
Date: September 27, 2011 02:49PM
Posted by: DaveEllis

Still glad I didn't pay for this bodge job.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 27, 2011 03:10PM
Posted by: Morbid
DaveEllis Wrote:
> The F1 2011 steam forums are a gloomy read.
>
> All official forums are in my experience. :(
> iRacing forums are a complete disgrace, Steam
> forums aren't much better.

True that :(

But it is far from every official forum, that consistently have the words help, bug, crash in the thread of the topics. I know, because this is ALWAYS the first thing I check, when I consider exploring a game. Normally, the raging is dispersed over a lot more topics than just technical issues. This isn't the case here in the Steam F1 2011 forums. At this point in time, just from reading the topic headers, 17 out of 25 topics on page 1 concern themselves with technical issues. That is 68%. I am sure if could be arsed to skim the remaining 32% of the threads, that this ratio would go up even further.

Rams Wrote:
> Apparently if you increase suspension stiffness to
> max you suddenly gain seconds of time. Somebody's
> reported doing a lap of Melbourne in 55 seconds!

To my surprise, I find myself hoping this to be a hoax. If it is true, it speaks volumes about the physics coding and Q&A process in way that is almost too cruel to be funny.

Ho3n3r Wrote:
> OK, I know, the laptimes are slightly faster than
> real life, but once again, it's not a sim.

Errh... according to the developers, it is a sim. They have gone to great lengths to convey this message.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> [community.codemasters.com]
>
> Still glad I didn't pay for this bodge job.

So tyre wear is just a timed event, that isn't influenced by the players driving style at all. Nor does it seem to affect AI. Awesome, that is pre-GPx levels of simulation. I remember a post not many days ago, where I kind of predicted stuff like this would surface.

Edit: Fixed quoted link

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2011 03:18PM by Morbid.
Date: September 27, 2011 07:46PM
Posted by: Slash
it seems the problem is when you touch the gravel only... rare that they do it, maybe a secondary effect on something?.. but it seems tyre wear on track is based on usage...

ZimboLeopard
Originally Posted by ZimboLeopard
Whatever the OP has experienced its not necessarily affecting the tyre sim. I don't doubt what he says is true, However I ran a different test to test the tyre sim. A fairer test if you will.

I went out on a new set of prime tyres. Free Practice. I removed ABS and drove really rough. I was locking up at bends, in gravel generally treating my tyres very poorly. I did an outlap, a hotlap and an inlap. When I returned to the garage and checked my tyre condition they were 82%.

I now went out and did the exact same stint but this time looked after my tyres. I did not lock up, I was not in gravel, I generally looked after my tyres but chugged along at a reasonable pace. When I checked my tyre condition they were at 90%.

So it seems that degredation is caused by driving style afterall.

Whatever the OP experienced [I don't doubt he's telling the truth] its not a common thing to do. None of us would park in the gravel for that length of time. We would be on track.

Credit where credit is due, CM has a tyre sim system that functions. It apparently records degredation due to bad driving.

Please feel free to do similar tests yourself if you don't trust me.

Hopefully this post will settle the worries that some had and hopefully save MSX7WDC and Co from buying a new pair of pants.

Thank you Catzenberger for designing the test
Date: September 27, 2011 11:25PM
Posted by: Robert
Just to add to the laptimes thing, they're definitely too quick but I'm not exactly sure why - certainly there's too much grip and front downforce, but that alone can't account for me being able to go (ligitimately) round Singapore in a 1.34 during a race with tyre sim on and lowish fuel without DRS. And this was even without the setup spring stiffness bug.

In addition, the AI aren't sufficiently affected by tyre wear (or their tyres just last much too long) - before pitting I can lose up to 2-3 second per lap on oldish tyres, whereas the AI never seem to lose more than a second or so, and they can go miles longer than a human on inters/wets.

Still, if they can fix these kind of bugs it'll be a really enjoyable game to drive :)

Batracer - the online racing manager game - join here :) [batracer.com]
Date: September 28, 2011 03:14AM
Robert Wrote:
> Just to add to the laptimes thing, they're
> definitely too quick but I'm not exactly sure why
> - certainly there's too much grip and front
> downforce, but that alone can't account for me
> being able to go (ligitimately) round Singapore in
> a 1.34 during a race with tyre sim on and lowish
> fuel without DRS. And this was even without the
> setup spring stiffness bug.

Just to keep the lingo straight, I believe the community is referring to "set max stiffness suspension and you get too much grip" as the 11/11 bug

> In addition, the AI aren't sufficiently affected
> by tyre wear (or their tyres just last much too
> long) - before pitting I can lose up to 2-3 second
> per lap on oldish tyres, whereas the AI never seem
> to lose more than a second or so, and they can go
> miles longer than a human on inters/wets.

There is a thread on the official codies forum, where a guy carried out a systematic test, which led him to conclude, that the AI have no tyre wear at all. But they are affected by fuel load.

Date: September 28, 2011 04:23AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Can someone run a wet weather test for me?

I discovered that in F1 2010, the AI speed in the wet had nothing to do with the rain, but rather the tyres they were on. If it rained and they were on slicks, they would continue to lap at a dry weather pace. Only when they swapped to wet tyres did they start lapping at wet weather pace. It also worked the other way, where if the track was drying they wouldn't make up any speed until they switched to slick.

Is this present in 2011?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 28, 2011 07:52PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Can someone run a wet weather test for me?
>
> I discovered that in F1 2010, the AI speed in the
> wet had nothing to do with the rain, but rather
> the tyres they were on. If it rained and they were
> on slicks, they would continue to lap at a dry
> weather pace. Only when they swapped to wet tyres
> did they start lapping at wet weather pace. It
> also worked the other way, where if the track was
> drying they wouldn't make up any speed until they
> switched to slick.
>
> Is this present in 2011?

I haven't had any wet/dry races yet, so I can't comment.

It should be fairly easy to find out if that's right or not though, as you can get a list of each AI car's lap times in the Race Director mode.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 29, 2011 12:43AM
Posted by: Slash
been watching videos on youtube, i was considering getting this game for PC...

this game is a piece of crap!.. 900% arcade game!... at this day and age!.. even GP4, a game from 10 years is better than this!...

bucnh of lazy people, they couldn't bother improving the game, just adding more useless BS! (what's with the birds flying from trees to trees?)

this guy not only defies the laws of physics, but of racing also!

Date: September 29, 2011 04:04AM
Posted by: matt3454
Yeah, i was driving round sepang on a half distance race, started raining with around 7 laps to go, so i bit with around 5 to go.

By the end of the race i was struggling to stay on the track with inters while the rest of the field were setting fastest laps on options around 15s a lap faster than me.

I've not really played the game since as its pretty much unplayable (catchup is still rediculous/drivers setting faster laps in the race by seconds compared to qualifying). Im just glad that i downloaded it this year instead of buying it.

Date: September 29, 2011 09:44AM
Posted by: pankykapus
wtf was that first corner (among others)?
Date: September 29, 2011 10:34AM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Is this present in 2011?

I guess you have your answer now :(

Date: September 29, 2011 06:15PM
Posted by: marcl
I am enjoying the game but again only online even though some people just cheat. They cut vital corners to get a 15 second lead and just get warnings :(

The season mode is now harder as you cannot win in a Lotus so thats better.

I thought the rain works well, if you change your tyres to inters too early you are way off the pace as it should be. The track has to be wet if not you are best off on slicks just like real f1.

I have yet to notice this catch up thing people are talking about, the AI lap time are consistant.
Date: September 29, 2011 06:28PM
The corner cutting detection system is much worse than F1 2010, I think. For some corners you can basically go over the grass and not get a penalty, and others if you just put one wheel over the edge of the kerb you get a warning/penalty.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 30, 2011 06:39AM
Posted by: Guimengo
So 2 patches announced, both to fix bugs and glitches. Best of luck! ;)
Date: September 30, 2011 07:39AM
The first patch was included with the PS3 release and that game still has plenty of bugs, so I don't know what it fixed!

Hopefully the 2nd patch makes some improvements and doesn't create any new bugs.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 01, 2011 12:21PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I actually got it. And I quite like it, for that matter.

Such a difference between Professional and Legend AI levels...perhaps 3 seconds difference?

But it's good fun, and my view is it's slightly flawed, but problems only really come if you look for them.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy