SAFETY CONFIRMED IN F1 2011 CODEMASTERS

Posted by SAT_LAB 
Re: SAFETY CONFIRMED IN F1 2011 CODEMASTERS
Date: September 06, 2011 12:54AM
Posted by: Morbid
You are probably right, although I think they lowered the bar more than a bit.

Borrowing the definition at wikipedia, a simulation is:

the imitation of some real thing, state of affairs, or process. The act of simulating something generally entails representing certain key characteristics or behaviours of a selected physical or abstract system.

This also means that entities in any given simulation have to conform to the same rules of the world that you do as the player. This utterly failed in F1 2010, which thoroughly disqualifies it as a simulation.

More to the point, you can hear how Steven Hood harps on about how they watch every practice session, qualification, race and post race comments, because they want to work the drivers experience into the game, while at the same time, they have the race director, which allows you to view all race incidents you missed (for all drivers), so you will know they actually happened, and that the laps that the AI do are not scripted!

This is a confession... "Yeah you caught us last year, but we promise, honest to god, this time it really IS a simulation!"

Yeah right. I'll see it before I believe it...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2011 12:56AM by Morbid.
Date: September 06, 2011 10:08AM
Posted by: pankykapus
Yeah I was referring to that too, but somehow his tone bugged me like it was the communitiy's fault to have noticed it...

Considering what e.g. at iRacing (despite their failure sometimes) the devs are doing to make proper simulation (calculating stuff in connection with the behaviour of rubber particles for example and whatnot), claiming to watch all the practise sessions is a bit of a joke, but hey let's wait and see :)
Date: September 06, 2011 10:29AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Considering some of the detail they've missed with tracks, it probably is silly to claim they watch every session.

For example, they're missing the tarmac run-off at Turn 6 at Montreal. They even made an effort to make a video of this corner to simulate the Vettel last lap spin, so if they somehow didn't notice that the run-off is completely wrong, they must be blind.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 06, 2011 03:28PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
This is a confession... "Yeah you caught us last year, but we promise, honest to god, this time it really IS a simulation!"

What annoyed me was when I asked him directly on Twitter and he said there wasn't catch-up at all. I said there was and he wanted proof, so posted it, and I never got a reply.

They also said that the 2010 Silverstone was accurate and done by GPS, and Ant Davidson. Then for 2011 they said they "fixed Silverstone". Wait, I thought it wasn't broken?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 09, 2011 08:40PM
Posted by: Red Sam
introduced rain in the tunnel

I had that once - a visit to the doctor sorted that out.

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: September 11, 2011 08:58PM
Posted by: TeamBPR
I'm afraid I am very wary of F1 2011, and I haven't played F1 2010. I see the amazing video preview etc etc and that's great and very pretty. But what does that mean for the game? Well nothing really.

I also find it a bit of a distraction/smokescreen... if the game is as much of a let down, fundamentally, as it appears, why are they investing (apparently) so much resource in beautiful videos and sequences, etc.? Is it to make up for something I wonder.

GP4 never bothered with fancy airs and graces, bells or whistles and the game is fantastic, especially when you think it's had ten years now to get left behind by the competition and it still holds its own. That tells you something I think.

I can only imagine how good a sim you could make if you could combine the best bits from say, GP4 with the amazing graphics from F1 2011!
Date: September 12, 2011 08:32PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
The one and only thing I would have liked GP4 to have is better physics.
That's all it lacks, I think graphics are no substitute for gameplay which is why I play F1 97 and RS2 :)
Date: September 14, 2011 10:36PM
Posted by: Monza972
Anyone going to be at GameFest in birmingham? They've got a F1 2011 stations there where we could be able to judge it with the first instalment.
Date: September 15, 2011 08:04PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
[www.formula1-game.com]

The cars looks like they're understeering massively.

Another thing which annoyed me is... "we were very grateful for the feedback we received, which was that the handling was very good". I don't think the handling is awful but its not great either. Are they just selectively listening to feedback they receive? And F1 2010 won a BAFTA? WTF?
Date: September 16, 2011 11:40AM
Posted by: marcl
For me the biggest problem with the cars was the brakes, I could never brake late. I would either not slow the car down or I would lock them so I always had to brake way to early.
Date: September 16, 2011 09:42PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [www.formula1-game.com]
>
> The cars looks like they're understeering
> massively.
>
>
> Another thing which annoyed me is... "we were very
> grateful for the feedback we received, which was
> that the handling was very good". I don't think
> the handling is awful but its not great either.
> Are they just selectively listening to feedback
> they receive? And F1 2010 won a BAFTA? WTF?

Computer game awards and reviews are nothing but a dick sucking contest. If you don't like a game, then a publisher won't give you an advanced copy next time. And since nobody reads/watches reviews, only looks at the scores, it becomes even more corrupt when you do actually pay attention to it all. GameTrailers review of GT5 basically said the entire game was @#$%&, but then still gave it 90%+, so if you're just browsing it looks really good. This applies to almost every major review and reward site out there. The Game BAFTAs are no different.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 16, 2011 10:16PM
Posted by: TeamBPR
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cars looks like they're understeering
> massively.

Definitely... the way the steering wheels flies around and the wheels looks like they're on full lock going round that hairpin in Sepang looks silly to me.
Date: September 17, 2011 06:04PM
Posted by: Guimengo
GT5 was bloody annoying when it was released but the patches and updates released so far have really helped add more to the game. You still can't get proper AI competition but it is great to drive on premium cars and online. They still need to add in-race saves and fix the forced grinding to reach level 40 though...
Date: September 18, 2011 12:27PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Out of all the things in the videos on their site, the one thing i noticed was that the ridge on the exit of turn 4 at nurburgring wasn't there, which immediately made me think about what else they may have missed from their tracks. Which is never a good sign... I won't get it though as my laptop won't run it ;)

Oh and how god damn bad the graphics are on F1 PSP games every time. The PSP can run some quite decent looking games (crisis core), but the F1 games are not only terrible but also make your eyes bleed...

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: September 19, 2011 10:26AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
In the case of the kerb at Nurburgring (or the tarmac at Rivage), these were only revealed with a few weeks before the game was complete, so it was probably too late to include it.

GT5 AI isn't that bad, but it relies on the end user choosing a car and tyre combination that is challenging, not just blitzing them with racing soft tyres and a car with much higher BHP.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 20, 2011 03:46PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
I have been playing it now for about a hour, enjoying it very much. Its hard using KERS and DRS on the control pad,lol
Date: September 20, 2011 10:24PM
Im loving the game so far.

I like the little things like running offline onto the marbles, watching drivers as they make adjustments on the wheel and do gear changes. Cool watching the tyres degrade. like I said im enjoying it. Using the DRS and kers is quite fun too.
Date: September 20, 2011 10:30PM
Posted by: Twigster151
Can I ask how competitive the AI are? As on F1 2010 they were just a joke...

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Date: September 20, 2011 11:13PM
I think its better then last year I have done about 6 races and havent seen the rubberbanding like last year.
Date: September 21, 2011 05:31PM
Posted by: jakobdylan
The Game is awesome,The phisc is not good but not so bad , the graphic is awesome above all if you've 580 gtxlol ,I can't imagine if all gp4 community worked on this game what could happens ....F1 2011 has good base but It need work of gp4 users to become the top.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy