Re: Codemasters' F1 game discussion
Date: September 25, 2010 05:16PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Jacques26 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After my pitstop, the AI cars turned almost
> invisible, except for the driver. Anybody know a
> solution to this?

Well, they are made of jelly. It's probably the gelatine dissolving in the heat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 05:16PM by loque.
Date: September 25, 2010 05:23PM
Posted by: DucatiHaSSe
@Fincent, Mitsuro Suno & loque
Very well written, nice inputs :-)

I myself can't believe that they don't have the TV overlay from this 2010 season
anywhere in the game with lap times, spilts, standings etc. Now when they finally
got it looking nice on TV. Reading the comments about fake laptimes of the AI
makes sense why they left it out. With comparing split times and gaps with
other cars you will quickly discover that somthing is wrong ;-(

Also, I almost always drive in cockpit view and all the OSD turned off.
In that view I have no info at all, just the speed, gear and position on
the wheel, but nothing else? How about a pitboard when passing the pits at least?

On real F1 wheel I believe they get lap times and spilts right on the wheel display.

Hope they fix the stuff we're here pointing out and add TV Overlay, 2010 style
and also that you can during replay watch the other cars.

I enjoy time trial alot, just to learn all the tracks and you don't have to bother
about the stupid AI or fake timings. (Due AI in Legendary is hard during racing) (Y)

/DucatiHaSSe
SWEDEN
#####
Date: September 25, 2010 05:35PM
Posted by: n00binio
in case someone else wants to access the advanced controller options despite having a controller that is not officially supported: there are a lot of tools that emulate xbox 360 controllers, e.g. . just follow the instructions in the readme and the game will think you use an xbox controller. you can still set all buttons and axis to you liking and access the advanced options for saturation, dead zone and linearity

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: September 25, 2010 05:39PM
Posted by: SDG71
@Thunderknight: the bitmap layout of these textures is just horrrible imho.
Date: September 25, 2010 05:42PM
Posted by: Traction
Jacques26 Wrote:
> After my pitstop, the AI cars turned almost
> invisible, except for the driver. Anybody know a
> solution to this?

I've seen this too.
One time in qualifying I was going really slowly into the pitlane and an AI car drove through me like a ghost car!
Date: September 25, 2010 05:53PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Cheers, ThunderKnight!
Date: September 25, 2010 06:11PM
Posted by: msater
This game sounds nearly as buggy as GP4 did when that first came out....and that's saying something...

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 25, 2010 07:54PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Post on the Coddies forum from Steven Hood about the rubberbanding:

T4RG4
I haven't been through this entire thread but I did spot a post by someone called mav16? He has the right idea

It's fair to say it was a little battle to not use the rubber band system of earlier games. One reason I didn't want to use this system is down to the fact we have far more cars in F1 than found in your traditional racer. That means the player is more likely to have competition around him during the race. Personally I don't mind running out and alone when the situation dictates it. That's part of racing to me. Nevertheless...

There are a couple of elements taking from the systems of old (and therefore sharing some XML parameters and code features because we have worked this game into an existing structure) but used in a slightly more realistic (IMO) manner.

For example - During a race, if the lead car has a big lead, he'll start to drive a little slower to conserve his car & maintain his pace. If the gap is reduced he will, at some point, start to respond if able. That to me, is exactly what people do in real races. On the lowest difficulties a couple of more things come into play but we're in no way using the system as poorly as you might imagine

Hope that clears a couple of things up - we used the system to better replicate what drivers do in real life.

I had seen this talked about before, and it was what I was going to suggest was the problem. So there's no rubberbanding as such, but just a poor execution of what is - in theory - a good idea. Hopefully then they will have a play with the values and release a patch reducing the effect that it is having, becuase it appears to be ultra-sensitive and exaggerated. I won't hold my breath though - surely they knew about this before now...

Date: September 25, 2010 08:08PM
Posted by: gav
Go Alesi
So there's no rubberbanding as such, but just a poor execution of what is - in theory - a good idea.

There's already a download to fix the rubber-banding which Jon Walton posted over on VT. I haven't tried it myself yet though.

Still, if there's no rubber-banding then the AI is even more @#$%& up than I thought. In 2 laps I lost 14 seconds to a guy who was running behind me when he pitted. I exited the pit to find him 12 seconds ahead of me. My laps were fine... so we've either got rubber-banding, AI times which bare no relevance to what the actual car does on the track (which is something we've heard LOTS of reports of), or Heikki took a shortcut.
Date: September 25, 2010 08:17PM
Posted by: Enjoi
Got it yesterday (PS3) and I'm enjoying it a lot!

It's funny, I thought I'd be winning races from what people on here were saying but in 3 races I've finished 23rd, 23rd and 14th! Partly because I'm a bit crap but also because the AI are rather fast. I read somewhere that it could depend on how you answer questions at the start and that might make sense as I gave some ambitious answers!

Some bits and bobs i noticed/liked/disliked :
Doing a practice session in the rain at the start then skipping half an hour of the session and coming back out to see a dry line appearing. Skipped a bit more and came out to see the sun out and only the odd wet spot so that was cool. The times dropped dramatically too of course which was good to see.

I like how you can adjust the wing and things whilst driving on the track - I damaged my wing at Melbourne and the engineer told me to adjust my settings to make the car more stable.

I think the way the whole menu is set out is great. I liked it in Dirt 2 as well, I just think it's a nice way to keep you immersed during the menu bits.

The graphics are great

I'm enjoying the way the car drives but of course comparing it to some sim games it doesn't feel as good, A lot of the spins I've had were quite surprising and unexpected. The force feedback on my wheel doesn't feel as good as it does in games like GTR where it seemed a bit more in-depth than the F1 2010 ff but I've got used to it now!

The damage isn't sensitive, I've hit the walls a couple of times in practice and didn't do any damage despite thinking I'd be a goner! I'm not too bothered about it but knowing that a scrape with another car won't damage you takes a bit of the 'fear' out of racing and I probably go for a lot more overtakes than I would have otherwise done.

Not a fan of the quick setup. I liked the rfactor slider one where you could adjust aero/gearing fairly easily but I think the F1 2010 feature is a bit too simplified.

Overall I think it's a good start for Codemasters but that's coming from someone who likes arcadey games as well as sim ones. In terms of official games we haven't had our fair share of them for a few years and maybe if we had, I wouldn't be enjoying this as much - but being starved from an official F1 game has helped form my positive opinion of F1 2010. Looking forward to a more accomplished title next year though

Ric Scott
Date: September 25, 2010 08:40PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Korea does look like a nice track, based on the game, its only a pity they take the extra slow corners at Turn 4 instead of taking the 'shortcut' layout - if you've played that track you probably know what I mean.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 25, 2010 09:15PM
Posted by: ___Flanker___
its impossible to have fun with this bug-game.

every race, EVERY... tyre punctures occur, and if i turn off tyres simulation the game are too much easy.
Date: September 25, 2010 09:41PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
I was just wondering for the guys playing on the PS3, are you using a wheel or the controller? Im looking at picking up the logitech driving force GT wheel but am kinda reluctant on spending $150 Canadian on one.
Date: September 25, 2010 09:56PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
So there's no rubberbanding as such

Yes there is. The game changes the AI engine power. It's in the xmls, clear as day.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 25, 2010 10:29PM
Posted by: ROBITUSSIN JR.
DaveEllis Wrote:
> So there's no rubberbanding as such
>
> Yes there is. The game changes the AI engine
> power. It's in the xmls, clear as day.

I haven't opened any of the files but there is definitely some sort of rubberbanding, clownmasters does it again just like with opfdr hype a game that fails to deliver. Let's just hope the game can be moded because clownmaster will not do much about it. The AI is simply bonkers and the laptimes have no effect whatsoever to the positions of the cars.
Date: September 25, 2010 10:44PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
Well, yeah, but the point I was making is that it was meant to be a lot more subtle and to resemble real-life practice. As it's turned out, it is effectively rubberbanding becuase they've messed it up.

Date: September 25, 2010 11:17PM
Posted by: Fincent
Okay, F1 2010 has just had the final nail in the coffin for me. Not sure if I want to play it again now. All of the AI is completely fake, even that in races. And it's not just a simple bug, it's the way the game has actually been designed so unless Codemasters redesign the entire game mechanics then no amount of patches are going to fix this one. Very very disappointed is a massive understatement.

[community.codemasters.com]

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: September 25, 2010 11:26PM
Meh. I'll still get it but I'm looking forward to GT5 now. This game seems good but I don't know if I'll play it often, even if it is F1.

EDIT: Oh dear, llok at this post from the thread fincent posted:

mr2shim
Explains the lack of time between cars infront and behind. I've noticed this as well. I was racing and Webber was in front of me, I was on his tail the whole time yet he was 3 seconds faster than me. Quite the disappoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 11:31PM by msater.
Date: September 25, 2010 11:29PM
Posted by: ralv585
@ Flincent

With regards to that link, i think there could be a simple explanation for the time difference.

When Webber starts the race from pole, he crosses the start/finish line travelling around 30mph or so from a standing start, by the time Kubica crosses the line, he could be doing 130mph or more, depending where he starts.

Your lap time doesn't actually start until you cross the line, so it's natural for Kubica's lap to be faster than Webbers, because he crossed the line at a higher speed.

If Kubica started 2nd then yeah, that would be a problem, but the OP doesn't say where he starts.

My gripes are still with the a.i and prefer to do time trials and online racing, as that's where the game excel imo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2010 11:32PM by ralv585.
Date: September 25, 2010 11:33PM
ralv585 Wrote:
> My gripes are still with the a.i and prefer to do
> time trials and online racing, as that's where the
> game excel imo

Even though I haven't got the game, that seems like the best thing to do. It's stupid though...an F1 game, and all we can do is hotlapping? Ugh.

That thread Fincent posted said the AI isn't even recording laps. That is a disgrace.

T4GR4 and co must be feeling so ashamed right now. I would not like to be in their shoes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy