Codemasters' F1 game discussion

Posted by Rodrigo007 
Re: Interview with Codemasters' CEO @ F1.com
Date: May 30, 2008 09:45PM
Posted by: Go Alesi
My real worry would be this comment:

"Yes, simulation versus arcade. Codemasters’ history in TOCA Race Driver has been very heavily weighted towards simulation..."

Err, anyone who's played any of the Race Driver games will know that that they are not sims by any stretch of the imagination. So if Codemasters think that the Race Driver games are simulations, then the F1 game will be like that too...

Date: May 30, 2008 09:47PM
Posted by: zeppelin101
Why is everyone on about the damage model anyway? Is that all you people do? Crash?
Date: May 30, 2008 09:53PM
Posted by: IWE
Atleast if you watch how popular Burnout games are, or how PS3 players are driving online, then answer is yes..

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
zeppelin101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why is everyone on about the damage model anyway?
> Is that all you people do? Crash?

No, but it's about having the complete package; an all round excellent f1 game. And certain things are always going to be more important to some people than others.
Date: May 30, 2008 10:49PM
Posted by: stipe
Damage? I any 'real' simulation hard crash will in totaled smashed car. I see future F1 game by CM in a way to have crash like Kubica had in Montreal last year and then car will be reseted and make way to box for repair. What I expect when pointing it in racing simulations to be realistic in way of physics (to have totaled crashed car when heavy hit the wall of something else or have failure on gerabox, suspension and others mayor part to have race over) not just in way of spectacular graphic (defortmation and and lose parts).
If DAMAGE will be main thing that will 'keep on' the game then I'm more for Burnout. Arcede that is make to be an arcade game, not some 'simualtion' to be 'arcade'...
Date: May 31, 2008 06:53AM
Posted by: Briere
IWE Wrote:
> Both are Formula 1 games? :) ;)

So what ? Codemasters is in no way involved with GP4. So this topic should be in the Other Games section
Date: May 31, 2008 07:32AM
Posted by: autogyro
I think the most worrying thing is how they already have some of the tracks modeled in Grid and can just use them here, despite the fact that the Grid tracks aren't very accurate...

In other words, don't expect anything great.
Date: May 31, 2008 08:52AM
Posted by: Mr_Fossy
Im glad Alesi has picked up on how bad Toca Race Driver is. If its anything like that its going to be an absolute disaster. I tried to get into it 5 different times conning myself that it cant have been that bad and to give it another chance. It is that bad.
Date: May 31, 2008 10:16AM
Posted by: Iceman-Kimi
I agree, the toca series where awfull, and hes saying that was a sim? yeh right and my dog is madonna. this is gonna be such a dissapointment, dont have expectations people, it will be bad, stick to gtr2/rfactor, best race games around.

Date: May 31, 2008 12:57PM
I can't imagine why anyone would have deluded themselves for even a fraction of a second that it would be a quality product.

It somehow works in DiRT (from a fun perspective) but having F1 cars doing 300mph and only having to tap the brakes for loews hairpin will not be fun. I can't think how anybody, even someone with the same amount of knowledge of a car as a dead badger would find that fun or interesting.
zeppelin101 Wrote:

> I can't think how anybody, even someone with the
> same amount of knowledge of a car as a dead badger
> would find that fun or interesting.

I dunno, some dead badgers I've seen by the side of the road look to have had pretty extensive knowledge of cars, for a split second at least.

About the damage though, I am more than satisfied with it in rfactor. If I touch wheels with someone in MMG 2007, I can get suspension damage, the car pulls to one side and becomes undriveable. If I hit a barrier hard, like LH at Monaco, I will invaribly lose a wheel, and if I brake slightly later than the car in front, there's a very good chance I'll take my front wing off. That's realistic enough for me, plus I can edit everything about the damage.

I don't see the fuss about grid.. how often are you supposed to crash anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2008 06:43PM by salvasirignano.
Date: May 31, 2008 06:53PM
Posted by: Craigo
With these sorta games they class simulation from arcade mearly on a basis of simulation means u can spin say and arcade u cant. But anyone who was preparing themselves for something amazing was kiddig themselves although you never know
Date: May 31, 2008 07:28PM
Posted by: harjinator
some sort of twin Game affair ala GT2 would be best, then they can cash in on both crowds, and mebbe convert a few people each way. I mean sometimes i want an arcade experience, so i do quickraces on GP3, with a physics with high grip etc, but sometimes i want simulation, which is what the championship mode and alternate physics are for

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: May 31, 2008 09:49PM
Posted by: villej
"Codemasters’ history in TOCA Race Driver has been very heavily weighted towards simulation"

I just couldn't read this without laughing.

My photo gallery: [viltzu86.deviantart.com]
Date: May 31, 2008 10:01PM
Posted by: Daniel Knott
salvasirignano Wrote:

>
> About the damage though, I am more than satisfied
> with it in rfactor. If I touch wheels with someone
> in MMG 2007, I can get suspension damage, the car
> pulls to one side and becomes undriveable.

I thought that your wheels passed through one another in rfactor? :S:S

H E L L O
Daniel Knott Wrote:
> salvasirignano Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> >
> > About the damage though, I am more than
> satisfied
> > with it in rfactor. If I touch wheels with
> someone
> > in MMG 2007, I can get suspension damage, the
> car
> > pulls to one side and becomes undriveable.
>
> I thought that your wheels passed through one
> another in rfactor? :S:S

Okay you got me there ;)
However, if you're along side someone and your wheel touches their sidepod say, or any other non wheel part of the car :) then you normally get decent damage.
Date: June 01, 2008 04:30AM
Posted by: Guimengo
That's one small issue with rFactor collision detection, with open wheelers. Some mods, for some reason, work fine.
Date: June 01, 2008 12:36PM
It can be done it just ruins FPS.
Date: June 01, 2008 02:20PM
Posted by: casabonka
I think what most of us want is an updated version on GP4, with safety cars, and HD graphics for PS3/Xbox users.

I loved Gp4 and nothing has ever come close imo, but My PC is too sh&^e to play any of the updated mods, so Im looking forwards.. but also looking forwards to disappointment from their previous attempts at games.

Went to d/l Grid demo on the PS store today and couldnt find it...

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: June 01, 2008 02:20PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I was in a discussion with the Executive Producer of GRiD on the Codemasters forum over the poor qualify of physics and tracks in the game - something he denied and then later changed to "We put the emphasis on fun!" and called Sim racers "snobs". After backing him into a corner we got the discussion down to if I posted about it again, posts would be deleted.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy