Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Re: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3?
Date: January 29, 2008 03:06AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I have my birthday coming up soon, I was considering an XBox 360... still the whole idea of paying for game content that should be available and the paid internet (on top of my already paid internet!) keeps putting me off. Getting a PS3 would be much more likely if the price would come down :-o
Date: January 29, 2008 03:19AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
what are you talking about paying for content that should be free? @#$%& your a tightarse.

I really dislike people like you, "I demand i get eveything for free otherwise im gonna cry" sure im being overly harsh but meh.

The extra content on XBOX live is there if you want it, you dont have to buy it. and if it were a PC game, you probably would not get it. as the developer dosent want to make anything more if there not going to get any money out of it.

You do not have to pay for Xbox Live. Only if you want to play online do you have to pay for it.

and dont get a ps3.

Date: January 29, 2008 05:42AM
Game prices went up 20%, I think that's enough profit. And if I'd need to download patches or updates, I'd need to connect to XBox Live, meaning I'd have to be signed up for it. Unfortunately most games are too focused for online stuff, and to play the way they were meant to play you'd have to fork out 7% a month of what you paid for the game already (to put it in numbers). Must I remember US$350,00 (not including tax!) is still a bunch of money to pay?
Date: January 29, 2008 06:36AM
Posted by: Covfan
You have to pay for it on a PS3 as well, it's not some magical console that makes all the nasty prices go away. You don't have to sign up to Xbox Live Gold to download stuff from the marketplace
Date: January 29, 2008 07:43AM
Guimengo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Game prices went up 20%, I think that's enough
> profit. And if I'd need to download patches or
> updates, I'd need to connect to XBox Live, meaning
> I'd have to be signed up for it. Unfortunately
> most games are too focused for online stuff, and
> to play the way they were meant to play you'd have
> to fork out 7% a month of what you paid for the
> game already (to put it in numbers). Must I
> remember US$350,00 (not including tax!) is still a
> bunch of money to pay?

God your so uninformed.

Xbox Live Silver gives you everything except for playing online. FOR @#$%& FREE

Date: January 29, 2008 07:48AM
Ah, ok. About downloads, when some stuff gets old (for example, new maps for Gears of War) can you find them for free? Right now this whole paid internet bugs me because I don't have a job yet, to be honest. I am trying to find something at least decent, when I have a nice income I'll most likely give in and pay for all of it but it just bugs me right now.
Date: January 29, 2008 07:52AM
Guimengo Wrote:
> Ah, ok. About downloads, when some stuff gets old
> (for example, new maps for Gears of War) can you
> find them for free? Right now this whole paid
> internet bugs me because I don't have a job yet,
> to be honest. I am trying to find something at
> least decent, when I have a nice income I'll most
> likely give in and pay for all of it but it just
> bugs me right now.

So let me get this straight.

You dont want to pay for Xbox Live Gold.

You want the maps. but dont want to pay for them.

if you dont have a job then thats your fault.

Date: January 29, 2008 08:24AM
Posted by: TC
NeilPearson Wrote:
> what are you talking about paying for content that
> should be free? @#$%& your a tightarse.
>
> I really dislike people like you, "I demand i get
> eveything for free otherwise im gonna cry" sure im
> being overly harsh but meh.
>

To be fair though devs want most of their content to be free, at least the bigger PC devs that are used to releasing free content do. It is Microsoft forcing them to charge for their new content that @#$%& it up.
Date: January 29, 2008 08:32AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Guimengo Wrote:
> Ah, ok. About downloads, when some stuff gets old
> (for example, new maps for Gears of War) can you
> find them for free? Right now this whole paid
> internet bugs me because I don't have a job yet,
> to be honest. I am trying to find something at
> least decent, when I have a nice income I'll most
> likely give in and pay for all of it but it just
> bugs me right now.

There are indeed some for free and some you have to pay for, same deal with Halo 3 I believe (Honestly I wouldn't really know as I never play on those two games anymore) But really why would you want to buy the maps if you don't play online?

It is very possible to play the Xbox 360 without internet play! Theres probably 2 games which I can think of which is very heavily Online play, Halo 3 because the single player is utter crap and Call Of Duty 4 however the single player of that game is still brilliant!

However there are loads of games with great Single players like, Burnout Paradise, GRAW series, Gears Of War, PGR4, Forza 2 Splinter Cell Series, Guitar Hero Series, Rock Band blah blah blah the list goes on! and even quite a few games which have Single Player only and no multiplayer at all, Mass Effect and Bioshock come to mind there.

Point i'm getting at anyway is that you can have a good time playing on the Xbox without online play :) But you can still enjoy all benefits of having your console linked to the internet with things like Downloadable demos, Free offers etc...

I've got a feeling though that if Playstation 3's Home system ends up been as sucsessful as Xbox Live, then 1 of 2 things will happen -

1. Microsoft will abolish the Xbox Live charges
2. Sony will start charging to use the Home system. (More Likley option)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: January 29, 2008 08:35AM
TC Wrote:
> To be fair though devs want most of their content
> to be free, at least the bigger PC devs that are
> used to releasing free content do. It is Microsoft
> forcing them to charge for their new content that
> @#$%& it up.

I agree that is @#$%& up. There was the big row a while ago with Ubisoft and Microsoft about the Rainbow Six Vegas Black Pack been paid for when Ubisoft wanted it up for free, eventually after alot of fans threw a fit at it Ubisoft got their own way, do have to ask yourself though how many others are there like that?

Date: February 07, 2008 12:56PM
I found an 80gb PS3 on e-bay and decided to bid on it, still got about 5 days left in the auction so I am sure I'll be outbid, but it's worth a try since I got some money from my graduation party. I've contact the seller and he assured me it's new and will come with the receipt. What do you guys think? (most specifically Ian W ;))

[cgi.ebay.com]
Date: February 07, 2008 11:50PM
At that price its a good deal! However really, if it goes over $399 (Price of the 40GB) wouldn't really bother, and it will probably go up alot with 5 days to go. Other than the fact theres no PS2 capability (Which tbh you'd be better off just getting/keeping an old PS2), no card reader (cause that was real useful before) and obviously the hard drive size. Other than that both the consoles are identical. Also apparantly they are gonna discontinue the 80GB version in the not too distant future and introduce a new PS3 version AGAIN. My opinion is basically if your not desperate, just be pacient and keep an eye on ebay, even if you find a 20GB version cheap to be honest they are just as good as the 80GB ones.

Date: February 08, 2008 12:52AM
Posted by: TC
20gb doesn't have wifi does it?
Date: February 08, 2008 01:17AM
Ian, I was looking to get the 60 or 80 gb version due to backwards compatibility, the 60 even more since I read it doesn't display any issues at all unlike the 80gb version which has issues here and there. 40gb is out of the question ;).

Since 60gb is out of the market I have to resort to e-bay and I am not worried about being outbid on the 80gb version as I can find another and so on, but the 60 gb is more fitting to me. I am looking to not need to carry my PS2, maybe I could give it away and having a PS3 that plays older stuff would be nice. And today I got to play some Virtua Fighter 5, the PS3 at Best Buy was finally working ;)! Pretty sensational graphics !
Date: February 08, 2008 01:29PM
Thats the problem though, you'd be lucky if you can get the backward compatibility
working on any PS3 console, hence why they've given up and removed it altogether. Your better off just keeping your PS2.

Date: February 08, 2008 03:54PM
Edit: nevermind.

The current PS3 60gb I was bidding seems a bit dodgy from the seller side. I got an e-mail where he asks for my maximum bid and I get the details to pay for it, and it's a Western Union payment to Romania. not Canada. He says he's there for his sister's wedding and had his wallet stolen, that would explain the urgency in taking less money. But the message I get for payment has a couple of grammar mistakes that I have spotted and I got nothing on my e-bay page, no messages or anything with this in it (I don't know where to go either ;)), so I contacted him through e-bay and am expecting a reply over there.

Wow :\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2008 04:21PM by Guimengo.
Date: February 08, 2008 04:36PM
Yeah you have to keep an eye out for those type of sellers, Report them to ebay.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2008 04:37PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 08, 2008 10:33PM
Before I report I'll make sure it's the same guy contacting me, I got no messages or anything at all over e-bay, could be someone trying to be a smart-ass. The e-bay auction hasn't been ended even :\
Date: February 08, 2008 10:51PM
Got a reply over e-bay from seller, it was actually what I thought, someone trying to scam me by checking other auctions. I properly reported the guy to e-bay and his Western Union money transfer thing gave out his details, what a dummy ;).

Send all your hate-mail and proper dodgy items to this person!

Lucian Balasoiu
Sat Nemoiu, Comuna Amarasti
Valcea,247015
Romania

or just plenty of spam to: ardbuzunare@googlemail.com
Date: February 09, 2008 04:06AM
How many photo's of yourself have you sent to him?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy