Ipod Touch/Iphone question

Posted by LS. 
Re: Ipod Touch/Iphone question
Date: June 25, 2010 11:24PM
Posted by: senninho
Following up from Morbid's Good Point, you can opt out of it here:

[oo.apple.com]

Caveat - you have to do it from the phone that you want excluded.

Date: June 25, 2010 11:33PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, the iPhone 4. The phone which discriminates
> against lefties.
>
> As a right-handed guy, it also would discriminate
> against me - whenever I'm taking notes or using a
> computer while on the phone (which is most of the
> calls I make), I, naturally hold the phone in my
> left hand.
>
> I briefly half thought about getting an iPhone
> (probably not an iPhone 4) as my next phone - not
> because I like them, but because I'd love to know
> what the fuss is about. After all, it would be
> fully usable - just not in the way I'd like. I've
> used a couple, but I would like to know what they
> were like to live with day after day. Obviously it
> would be too expensive an experiment to actually
> attempt, a backwards way of proving a point and
> now given that you can't really use them in your
> left hand (especially in rural areas I suspect,
> where signal is generally weaker to start with),
> but it was something I thought about.
>
> That said, as I've said previously I don't have a
> problem with iPhones or iPods (so long as people
> buy them knowing what they're getting and not just
> getting one because it's an iPhone and they're
> blinded muppets... or iPad buyers as they will
> likely become known as).

I think I've been pretty privileged over the years to have and try many many different types of smartphones. I've used many Blackberries, HTCs and HPs iPaq's over the years. Part of this is because I look after our firms mobile contract so have to stay on top over what is a good handset and what is god awful. A lot of our users have to have all singing all dancing smartphones for email and Internet usage on the go, which makes this part of the job quite enjoyable for me at least! Our mobile contract has just been renewed and we decided to take a stab at replacing our Touch HDs (which were well received) with iPhones 3GS's, mine included.

Now the first point is I don't think I could justify £400 for this myself. I still think for what you get it's a ludicrous amount of money. A £30 a month contract is still highish but bearable. I tend to use smartphones in either hand and have to say I haven't had an issue yet with the 3GS. It seems to function perfectly well in either. I do however miss the ability to just take a quick handwritten note on my phone, with the iPhones screen technology this isn't really possible. The signal strength also seems to be a bit random compared to other types of these phones I've used.

It's big plus, which the users have also said; the more you use it, the easier you find it is just to do...anything compared to other UI's. The keyboard has also improved I think since I last used one, and after a few days its extremely easy to tap out medium length emails quickly without errors (the Android keyboard I think is just as good though in this department).

The exchange plug-in for email has come along way since I last used it and is now pretty much bang on. The twitter client is a brilliant piece of software and the App installation over the air is also a fantastic idea. I was out jogging and wanted to know how far I'd gone. Not a problem; found a free app to measure distance based on GPS data, downloaded it over the air and in about a minute I had the info I needed. The app store is also pretty much endless, which probably makes it as popular as it is.

There are a few bugs and issues still here and there (iTunes, flash support, poor battery with push email on all day), but its pretty much bang on for the needs of the people I research it for and also for my needs as well. I'm pretty pleased with it so far. However Android is definitely not that far behind any more in terms of usability, which will make the next year or so very interesting to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 11:37PM by 97kirkc.
Date: July 01, 2010 04:06PM
Posted by: RebelWithoutaCause
I just bought my Iphone 4g, i say quite a worth for me. Although i didnt really satisfied of first time having it and still have a feeling of a regret for buying it. But now i love it as much as my Ipod touxh!.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2010 04:07PM by RebelWithoutaCause.
Date: July 01, 2010 09:04PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
If there is a genuine fault in the engineering of the iphone 4 (alot of people on forums have said they have no issues but then equally as much have said they do have issues) then what I can see happening is Apple releasing the next gen iphone 4 (GS or whatever they call it) which fixes the problem and the fanboys will no doubt jump on that and buy it. Apple makes money twice. Only a court can force Apple to recall the phone and even then it could take a long time (as in ipod scratches). Golden rule of gadgets: always always wait until a few months after the product is launched. not only will it be cheaper but you let others (fanbooys) make the mistakes first.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 01, 2010 09:21PM
Posted by: LS.
Had my iPhone 4 almost a week now, no problems with it whatsoever, set it all up, apps email etc and love it to bits.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: July 01, 2010 10:02PM
you've just tipped the balance in favour of those who dont have problems! i cant beleive this phone will have gone through testing and this not be picked up (whatever this is). there must be some other factor that is casuing these issues that people are experiencing.

I myself have got a nokia n95 and have had it about 3 years and i think its time for an update. never had an iphone but used macbooks and imacs. lots of peolpe raving about android and free apps and v3 on its way.

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: July 01, 2010 11:59PM
Posted by: Morbid
The problem is rather simple. It was pointed out by experts to Apple before the release, and subsequently denied by Steve Jobs.

You may experience random connection loss. The iPhone 4 is engineered in such a way, that the circuitry of the mainboard, together with the metal band that surrounds the edge of the phone constitutes the network antenna. This is clever, because you get a large antenna that is for all purposes quite invisible. The problem arises if you touch the metal band while using the phone.

This leads to a short of the antenna design, and thus the network signal disappears. As far as I have been able to determine, it is especially problematic if you touch the metal band in the lower left corner of the phone, as this is where the antenna connects with the circuitry, and is the beginning proper of the antenna itself. This is something practically all right-handed people will risk doing while gazing at the screen, as they will use the right hand for inputs, and the left hand for holding the device.

Thus you should only rarely experience network loss while using the phone as a proper phone, but the network signal prone to failing, if you use the phone for internet purposes while on the go. That is a rather critical design flaw.

Rumour has it, that Apple is working on a software update that will lessen the impact of the problem. This seems doomed to failure, as the real problem is with the physical engineering of the product itself.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: July 02, 2010 12:12AM
Posted by: Zcott
Expecting iOS 4.0.1 to permanently show 5 bars.

Date: July 02, 2010 12:38AM
Of course you do Zcott.

I am sure you are right. That is exactly what will happen. Even in the Sahara and on the North Pole, it will show 5 bars. Because the only way software can fix this, is by disconnecting the bars from the actual signal strength ;-)

In fact, I believe you pioneered this solution way back... with your clever sig pic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 12:40AM by Morbid.
Date: July 02, 2010 05:32AM
Just to hammer the point home...

[www.engadget.com]

Date: July 02, 2010 08:41AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
My take on it:

The problem isn't as bad as it sounds, because Gizmodo were the ones who 'found' it first, and they just LOVE to be anti-Apple. I'm sure they are currently linking Steve Jobs to 9/11 as we speak. But despite that, it's still a ridiculous issue, and sums up iPhone 4 and iOS4 for me.

You can solve the issue by holding it in your left hand but not touching the plastic split at the bottom.

Edit: I do find it funny though that we have threads dedicated to ripping Apple apart, but nothing has been mentioned of the spectacular failure of the Microsoft Kin. I'd love to see some informed opinions on that hilarious pile of shite. Even Apples marketing team couldn't sell that.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 08:44AM by DaveEllis.
Date: July 02, 2010 10:14AM
Posted by: J i m
There is also this which at £25 is a bit of a cheek considering it's to solve a problem which shouldn't even be there in the first place.

It's a bit like the TomTom app's suspiciously shite use of the iPhone's GPS hardware to encourage you to get the TomTom car kit :P

Anyh00 I've idiotically pre-ordered my iPhone4 from Orange, which I shall probably run alongside my 3G for a week or so, just in case I get chronic problems with the 4.

Date: July 02, 2010 02:58PM
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is also this which at £25 is a bit of a
> cheek considering it's to solve a problem which
> shouldn't even be there in the first place.
>
>

I agree with you on that, I received my iPhone 4 bumper 2 days ago and it eliminated the problem, but you'd think apple would discount it as it's a hell of a lot of money to pay to solve a problem, and I'm a leftie

I agree

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 02:59PM by LS..
Date: July 02, 2010 03:42PM
Of course the bumper is just Apples quick way of attempting to solve a problem without really solving it. The bumper is a *massive* rip off, and makes it so it doesn't fit in the dock anymore. So you'll be constantly fiddling with the bumper if you use the dock.

And Scott and Morbid are right.

[www.engadget.com]

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 02, 2010 04:23PM
Quick fix :-)

[i.engadget.com]

LS's Tip of the week
Date: July 02, 2010 06:31PM
LS i thought you said you didnt have a problem with your iphone why did you get bumpers (not critising just asking)?

it doesnt really explain why in some demos ive seen the 3 works fine in any way you hold it but the 4 (stood in exact same position) cuts off when held in the left hand?

and they been selling bumpers and now say its a software fault?

I.Tz No Problem
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2010 08:14PM by rapid_f1.
Date: July 02, 2010 08:16PM
The bumper isn't a fix for the issue. It is just a case. The fact it fixes the issue is a happy coincidence, since now Apple can push an ugly case out to more people, with added AppleTax.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 02, 2010 08:21PM
I ordered the bumper before I received my iPhone, pre-ordered mine but didn't get it on the 24th like most people did, mine came on the 26th and I read about the signal thing on the day the iPhone was launched so it was precautionary.

To be honest the 1 day I did use it before the bumper arrived I never noticed any drop in signal whilst involved in a phone call anyway.

But yeah I guess it was a problem, and maybe I wasn't clear enough.

LS's Tip of the week
Date: July 03, 2010 04:27AM
Posted by: RebelWithoutaCause
Im inlove with my Iphone 4 already more than my Ipod Touch, i keep starring to that thing, checking any scratches or fingerprints. whats wrong with me?. My girlfriend keeps telling me that i stares on my IPhone more than her.
Date: July 03, 2010 11:21AM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis
Edit: I do find it funny though that we have threads dedicated to ripping Apple apart, but nothing has been mentioned of the spectacular failure of the Microsoft Kin. I'd love to see some informed opinions on that hilarious pile of shite. Even Apples marketing team couldn't sell that.

How can we criticise something nobody has ever bought? ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy