Ipod Touch/Iphone question

Posted by LS. 
Ipod Touch/Iphone question
Date: January 17, 2010 01:17PM
Posted by: LS.
I'm thinking of upgrading with Vodaphone to the Iphone 3GS, and wondered if its possible to transfer my applications ive bought from Itunes that are on my Ipod touch over to the Iphone?

You can authorise devices on Itunes, is this one of those occasions?

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Ipod Touch/Iphone question
Date: January 17, 2010 01:30PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Sign into the AppStore on the iPhone with the same login that you used on the iPod Touch. Selected the App you already own, select Buy and it will tell you "You Already own this app" (not an exact quote) and it will redownload it for free. No need to mess about with authorisation and all that silly rubbish.

You cannot pay for the same App twice. Once you own it, you own it.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2010 01:30PM by DaveEllis.
Date: January 17, 2010 01:34PM
cool cheers :)

Will that also transfer my music and videos over if i put the same account details in then?

LS's Tip of the week
Date: January 17, 2010 02:17PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
LS. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will that also transfer my music and videos over
> if i put the same account details in then?

The music should go across when you synchronise your new product to your iTunes library.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 17, 2010 03:27PM
LS. Wrote:
> cool cheers :)
>
> Will that also transfer my music and videos over
> if i put the same account details in then?

Any music/videos on your PC should sync fine to the iPhone. The device authorisation is for what you want to use your iPhone on more than 1 PC, and then that just becomes a complete nightmare. But the iPod Touch and iPhone are 2 different devices, so you shouldn't have a problem.

For music/videos - sync to the iPhone like you would the iPod
For Apps - go to the iTunes store and redownload them, you'll get them for free.

iTunes really should keep a list of what Apps you own, but it doesn't.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 18, 2010 07:11PM
Posted by: Zcott
So, regretting getting the Dingleberry Storm then? :P

Date: January 18, 2010 11:20PM
Actually, you don't have to redownload the apps from
the App Store, just sync them to your new device through iTunes.

Date: January 19, 2010 09:40AM
Zcott Wrote:
> So, regretting getting the Dingleberry Storm then?
> :P

its just a pain carrying both around to be honest, still love my Storm but had it over a year now and time for an upgrade :-D Blackerry Apps store is woefull compared to Apples though, and its more business oreintated, where as Apple App store has fun stuff for a £1.

I'd definitly have another Blackberry in the future though :)

Ive read rumours that the 4G will have a better MP camera and dual core memory and will be out in June, so might hang on for that, 3gs has been out for a bit now and im wondering if with Vodaphone and Orange flogging them like theyre going out of fashion its to help shift exisiting stock already sat around on shelves that no one would want with the latest one coming out

[www.pcworld.com]

Do you guys have any info on this?

cheers

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 09:57AM by LS..
Date: January 19, 2010 06:16PM
im wondering if with Vodaphone and Orange flogging them like theyre going out of fashion its to help shift exisiting stock already sat around on shelves that no one would want with the latest one coming out

Vodafone and Orange have it because O2s exclusive contract is finished. They are selling it because it sells, not to clear products.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 19, 2010 06:45PM
3GS is still a fantastic device, but wait until the end of the month and see if Apple announce a new iPhone.

Date: January 19, 2010 06:52PM
Posted by: J i m
There is no official news of the "4G" only mystery, speculation and rumour.

However Apple are having some kind of pr gig next Wednesday I think, and it's hoped there will be some kind of announcement or info amid all the hype the tablet will get.

Date: January 19, 2010 06:57PM
Posted by: gav
Apple are launching something on the 27th (next Wednesday), but it's expected to be a 7" tablet PC. There are rumours of them also announcing updates to the iLife software and possible new software for the iPhone/iPod (presumably that would be another OS upgrade), but it's unlikely they'll be announcing a new iPhone then.

Still, if you're set on an iPhone, then it would be silly not to wait until next Wednesday just to make sure.
Date: January 19, 2010 07:02PM
The Tabelt announcement will be different to any iPhone announcement. And so far the OS upgrades have always been in sync with the model updates.

iPhone - 1.0
iPhone 3G - 2.0
iPhone 3GS - 3.0

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 19, 2010 07:25PM
Those hoping for a new Apple smartphone may be disappointed

In anticipation of Apple's now confirmed press conference next week, US news channel Fox News has been informed that the Apple Tablet, iLife 2010 and iPhone 4.0 software upgrade is set to dominate the headlines at the Apple event.

Fox News reporter Clayton Morris claims to have spoken to a source at Apple who confirmed that the January 27th press conference will focus on those three areas of business, none of which significantly includes the iPhone 4G as many had hoped would be.

Most would probably agree trying to predict Apple's agenda before Steve Jobs actually takes to the stage is a tall task, but Morris who apparently has a track record of getting his Apple announcements correct, was also one of the first to find out about the latest Apple event.

The guys at PC World make a valid point about the wording used in the press conference invite which suggests that Apple will reveal its 'latest creation'. The arrival of the hotly-anticipated tablet device would appear to fit that description quite well, but we have been surprised by Apple before.

It looks like we'll have to wait with everyone else to find out, but if Morris is spot on with this latest Apple prediction, we might have to hanker over a new iPhone a little while longer.

If that is the case then i'll get the 3GS with the v4.0 software, knowing my luck the day after ive signed up for it the latest handset will come out!, vodaphone have told me i'm eligible on the 3rd March, so will watch with interest as to what happens til then

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2010 07:26PM by LS..
Date: January 19, 2010 07:56PM
Good decision; despite being almost a year old now the 3GS is still way ahead of anything else I've used.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2010 02:02PM by Zcott.
Date: January 21, 2010 06:07PM
Some more rumours about V 4.0 OS

I’m pretty sure that late January is traditionally that time of the year when the Apple rumor mill starts heating-up in anticipation of the impending iPhone OS update. A young tradition, to be sure, but a tradition nonetheless.

This year, however, the media frenzy around the mythical-but-completely-certainly-probably-real Tablet seems to be getting all the attention — rather like a new born baby stealing the limelight from its three year old sibling.

At least BoyGeniusReport — in the past a reasonably accurate source of information on upcoming iPhone OS updates — hasn’t forgotten the tradition and, even though no one is paying the least bit of attention, they resolutely committed to web-page what they think they now know about iPhone 4.0.
So what’s the latest? From BGR:

“There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense […] as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)

I’m not sure I understand what this means if I’m honest with you. I mean, the few multi-touch gestures we get now in apps like Photos and Safari are sensible enough, (double-tap and pinch zooming are useful in those apps) but do we need multi-touch everywhere? How will the addition of OS-wide gestures make the OS more elegant, more intuitive and easier to use? Now, I’m not suggesting any sort of major calamity; I’m just experiencing something of an imagination-failure here.

“A few new ways” to run applications in the background — multitasking.”

So, the elusive Multitasking is coming to iPhone? I’m not convinced. Speaking from my many years of experience using Windows Mobile, it seems to me that Apple’s approach to memory management on the iPhone is pretty much perfect. Sure, it doesn’t multitask — but in almost three years of iPhone ownership, that has never presented an insurmountable problem for me. And the (ahem- late) introduction of Push Notification Services was a very welcome compromise.

I have since discovered, however, that I don’t need Facebook to notify me about every poke or thrown sheep, and I especially don’t want to be notified of every tweet from my Twitter stream. No thank you.

Perhaps the “few new ways” refers to a sandboxed memory “space” that runs in the background, sort of like an app for keeping-alive portions of other apps, even when they’re not currently front-and-center. Maybe. Whatever it is, you can be sure there won’t be a task manager.

“Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven’t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.”

What do you think? A new, refreshed UI style, perhaps? Or an iPhone version of Exposé? The latter sounds horrid, but still, Soptlight can’t be the only solution to quickly navigating through 10 pages of apps.

“The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will “put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers” more than any other phone to date. Everyone is “really excited.”

Makes sense. The 3G and 3GS have more memory than the venerable first generation iPhone. Consider how sluggish the latest build of the iPhone OS (3.1.2) can be on first generation iPhones. Apple is so concerned with guaranteeing a consistent, elegant user experience they kept cut & paste out of the OS for years before they felt the solution was good-enough to publish. So they’re hardly going to support their latest and greatest OS on the ageing first-generation iPhone because the experience will be terrible.

I would wager, too, that core location services have been greatly expanded and even more tightly integrated with the entire OS, making the original location-ignorant iPhone a bit of a silly platform for 4.0. (Don’t forget that patent for a location-aware home screen…)

“The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.”

Since I’m one of the five or six people in this world who pays for a MobileMe subscription I never really think about contacts/calendar syncing. It just happens for me, quietly, no fuss. I’ve never synced any other way, so I have no experience of the perils and pitfalls of syncing via different methods. I’ll leave you to tell me what you think this means and why I should care.

And Then There’s That Tablet (Again)
Don’t forget that the established wisdom of the Rumor Mill has it that iPhone OS 4.0 and the Tablet’s operating system are pretty much built upon the same core code — hence the reason for Apple’s delay in seeding the 4.0 build to developers. (Since the code is so similar it’s pretty likely that tablet functionality will be easily discovered by a few minutes spent digging through iPhone OS 4.0’s bundled APIs. Apple has held-back on seeding the next major iPhone OS build for this very reason — they don’t want to give away clues as to what’s in store with the Tablet — that sort of information will leak fast.)

So while the world’s press salivates over the upcoming tablet and forgets completely about Apple’s other major products, spare a thought for iPhone OS 4.0. It’s likely to be the most important — and impressive — update in the iPhone’s history. And, unless you have your money ready to splash on the Tablet, iPhone OS 4.0 is the most likely next “new thing” you’re going to get

LS's Tip of the week
Date: January 22, 2010 09:36AM
Technically we are getting a new iPhone, actually. Leaked Verizon documents have it coming to the network this year. The current iPhone doesn't support Verizon at all.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: January 27, 2010 07:47PM
No news on the Iphone or O/S just yet, but the Ipad has been unveiled

video [news.bbc.co.uk]

Mr Jobs described the tablet as a "third category" between smartphones and laptops.

The device, which looks like a large iPhone, can be used to watch films, store photos and browse the web.

Mr Jobs told an audience of journalists, analysts and industry peers that the device lets people "hold the whole web in your hands".

"What this device does is extraordinary. It is the best browsing experience you have ever had," he said.

The device also has the firms iTunes software built in, allowing users to purchase songs and movies straight to the device

Some models of iPad will have 3G as well as WiFi $14.99 for 250MB $29.99 for UNLIMITED data. AT&T in the states. No contract. Prepaid! Cancel anytime. Activate on iPad.

$499 That's the base model

16GB $699 for 64GB + $130 for 3G model. Shipping in 60 days. 3G in 90

LS's Tip of the week

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2010 10:37PM by LS..
Date: January 27, 2010 11:58PM
One of my pet peeves: it's iPhone, iPod, iPad, iMac, not Iphone, Ipod, Ipad, Imac!

Date: January 28, 2010 12:46AM
Posted by: J i m
Dammit.... wanted some kind of semi-official date to expect the 4G.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy