Ipod Touch/Iphone question

Posted by LS. 
Re: Ipod Touch/Iphone question
Date: January 28, 2010 08:25AM
Posted by: gav
The iPad is brilliant.

Jobs said it was between the iPhone and Macbook.

All the good things about a laptop/netbook are missing (it has no ports, expansion, Flash, multitasking, it has an iPhone-based OS) while it retains all the bad things (obviously size - it's nearly A4 size).

All the good things about an iPhone are missing (no erm, phone, camera, webcam... or anything really).

It can't be used as an ereader as it has a standard reflective LCD screen (so you might as well stay in the library, as it can't be used outside until it gets dark). Proper ereaders have 'electronic paper' screens which actually work better the stronger the light.

I've got no idea where this is pitched. Nobody does. Not even Steve Jobs suggested a plausible real-world use. It seems they've taken an idea from about 5 years back, then made it way, way worse. :\
Date: January 28, 2010 01:27PM
Posted by: Zcott
Come on Gav, everyone knows it's never sunny enough here to have the reflective problem! :P

Date: June 03, 2010 04:22PM
Posted by: LS.
10 things to expect from iPhone 4G / iPhone HD

All eyes will be on Moscone West on 7 June as the San Francisco venue hosts WWDC.

With Apple CEO Steve Jobs delivering the keynote, it's almost guaranteed the new iPhone will be officially revealed.

And since Apple's been suffering from more leaks than a wooden boat with a payload of ravenous woodworm, we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the revamped device.

Here's what you can expect to see in the new iPhone…

1. A new case design

Although people were suspicious of the 'leaked' next-gen iPhone images that circulated in April, subsequent leaks have confirmed the device will have a quite different design to the iPhone 3GS. The back is flat, the sides have an iPad-like metal surround, and the volume buttons are separated rather than being combined as a rocker switch.

2. Improved camera

An update to the iPhone's camera is almost a given. As far back as December, reports were circulating that the iPhone's camera resolution would be upped to 5-megapixels. More recently, devs digging into the iPhone SDK have unearthed references to HD video recording, suggesting the video-capture capabilities of the device will rival those of the Flip HD.

3. Front-facing camera

The iPhone SDK also has icons and commands relating to video chatting, perhaps confirming the long-standing rumour that iChat will make its way to the iPhone. Recent reports also claim Sam Mendes has helmed a new iPhone advert that features a mother and daughter using iPhones for a video chat.

4. An improved screen

It's looking increasingly likely that the new iPhone screen will boast a 960-by-640-pixel resolution, blowing away existing models and providing a 'print quality' 320ppi density. This will not only leapfrog the Nexus One (252ppi) but make Apple's new iPad (132ppi) look a little rough by comparison for consuming text.

5. New iPhone price

A Screen Digest analyst recently claimed the iPhone 4G will drop in price, due to Apple aiming to expand its smartphone marketshare. There's some precedent here, given the aggressive pricing of the iPad, although with Sterling continuing to weaken against the US dollar, British customers are unlikely to benefit.

6. An Apple processor

Tear-downs of leaked iPhones have revealed an Apple-branded processor inside. Therefore, it's possible the new iPhone will have a processor similar to the one that powers the iPad. If so, expect apps on the new device to fly, due to a huge performance boost.

7. A micro-SIM slot

The iPad Wi-Fi + 3G uses a micro-SIM rather than a regular sized unit, and since Apple tends to share technology across devices where possible, the new iPhone should follow suit - a claim given extra weight by the fact the device Gizmodo 'acquired' had a micro-SIM slot.

8. A bigger battery

The new iPhone's front panel is thinner than the iPhone 3GS's, meaning there's more room for a battery - and a bigger battery means more time between charges. According to MacRumors, the next-generation iPhone's battery should see a 16% increase in capacity.

9. iPhone OS 4.0

When Steve Jobs unveiled iPhone OS 4.0 back in April, he said it would ship this summer. Unless the entire event was an elaborate practical joke, it's safe to say the new iPhone will ship with iPhone OS 4, bringing it out-of-the-box multitasking support for third-party apps, a unified Mail inbox, springboard folders, and more.

10. A new name

Having eschewed the mobile industry's penchant for giving phones bizarre, impossible-to-remember names, Apple itself came under a little criticism for the awkward 'iPhone 3GS' moniker.

Pundits are divided on whether we'll be calling the next iPhone the iPhone 4G or iPhone HD - although if Apple settles on the latter this will make for a confusing App Store, what with the rash of 'HD' apps for iPad

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 03, 2010 05:46PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
It's likely to be called the 4G, because its rumoured that the phone will be an 3GPP LTE capable device (more capacity and speed over the mobile network), which even though this is a pre-4G mobile standard, the media have dubbed it as 4G regardless. Whether or not this will cause a massive headache for AT&T in the states remains to be seen.

OS4 doesn't have multi-tasking in terms of how you would think, more that it will keep the processes of applications running in the background rather than the application itself. Therefore, and this has been stated in the brief, things like being on IM at the same time as something else wont be possible out of the box, but the APIs are there for developers in the SDK. OS4 will not be available for the 3G at all.

Date: June 03, 2010 07:47PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
OS4 will not be available for the 3G at all.

It will be available for 3G, 3GS, 4G, iPad, 2nd and 3rd Gen iPod Touches. Multitasking is only available for 3GS, 4G and 3rd Gen iPod Touches.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 03, 2010 08:24PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Ah, cheers for the correction.

Date: June 03, 2010 10:40PM
Also assuming that multitasking will be available for the iPad, given that it has plenty of power to do so. Also, everyone should get an iPad; they are amazing.

Date: June 04, 2010 05:24PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Or buy 2 PS3s with that amount, or a PS3 and a small 1080p HDTV and have far more fun.

Or 3 iPods.

Or a roundtrip plane ticket to somewhere.
Date: June 04, 2010 08:22PM
1 PS3 in the UK is £250. Two of them is £60 more than an iPad. And quite frankly, the PS3 can suck my fat hairy balls. I have much more fun on my iPhone games than the modern console set.

Comparing a PS3 to an iPad is retarded anyway. They aren't even close to the same thing. That's like saying I can buy 1.5 Fridge Freezers for the price of an iPad. Yeah, I can...so?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2010 08:48PM by DaveEllis.
Date: June 04, 2010 09:14PM
Posted by: Morbid
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The iPad is brilliant.
>
> Jobs said it was between the iPhone and Macbook.
>
> All the good things about a laptop/netbook are
> missing (it has no ports, expansion, Flash,
> multitasking, it has an iPhone-based OS) while it
> retains all the bad things (obviously size - it's
> nearly A4 size).
>
> All the good things about an iPhone are missing
> (no erm, phone, camera, webcam... or anything
> really).
>
> It can't be used as an ereader as it has a
> standard reflective LCD screen (so you might as
> well stay in the library, as it can't be used
> outside until it gets dark). Proper ereaders have
> 'electronic paper' screens which actually work
> better the stronger the light.
>
> I've got no idea where this is pitched. Nobody
> does. Not even Steve Jobs suggested a plausible
> real-world use. It seems they've taken an idea
> from about 5 years back, then made it way, way
> worse. :\

+1

It's called brilliant marketing and branding.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: June 04, 2010 09:45PM
I do agree with Gav on almost everything, but you can use the iPad as an eReader. Like the iPhone (and assume most modern smart phones), when light shines on it it just turns up the brightness, so reflective problems don't really exist. Some of the HTC phones do it, so I assume everything else does too.

The only legit use I've seen for it was actually Jake on the BBC F1 show. Being able to have all the show information on an electronic device, along with live timing, the twitter and email feed was much better than him hopping back and forward between his Blackberry and a clipboard.

I'd love an iPad. Just not for £400.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 04, 2010 10:33PM
Posted by: EC83
gav Wrote:
> The iPad is brilliant.
>
> Jobs said it was between the iPhone and Macbook.
>
> All the good things about a laptop/netbook are
> missing (it has no ports, expansion, Flash,
> multitasking, it has an iPhone-based OS) while it
> retains all the bad things (obviously size - it's
> nearly A4 size).
>
> All the good things about an iPhone are missing
> (no erm, phone, camera, webcam... or anything
> really).
>
> It can't be used as an ereader as it has a
> standard reflective LCD screen (so you might as
> well stay in the library, as it can't be used
> outside until it gets dark). Proper ereaders have
> 'electronic paper' screens which actually work
> better the stronger the light.
>
> I've got no idea where this is pitched. Nobody
> does. Not even Steve Jobs suggested a plausible
> real-world use. It seems they've taken an idea
> from about 5 years back, then made it way, way
> worse. :\

Agreed. To me, it sounds like a step back towards these guys:

:-/

And I can't believe they're charging ~£400 for it either. Like Morbid says, an excellent piece of marketing.

Date: June 05, 2010 12:48AM
The majority of people who have tried one want one, simply because it's about small touches, it's about ease of use and it's about making something that maybe isn't at the cutting edge of technology but which is just done exceptionally well.

Which is something that is seemingly incredibly rare in personal technology these days.

Date: June 05, 2010 09:38AM
Zcott makes a point. The products Apple make aren't always filled with features, but what features it does have is polished to a perfect shine. I had the..."pleasure" of using a Toshiba TG01 running Windows Mobile 6.5 and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had with a phone. The hardware was seemingly designed by a moron, with several *massive* design flaws, and the software whilst full of features was just disgusting to use. It felt like being ported back to Windows 3.1, but with some pretty blends on it.

UIs and general interfaces have moved on. Microsofts UI on the Zune is outstanding, but they seemingly haven't bothered giving the genius who designed it more work and have stuck with some proper crap recently. WM7 looks like a step forward, but by the time it's released we might be playing Duke Nukem Forever. Even if that does get released soon it is already begining to look a little dated. Solid blocks of colour? Not even a basic gradient to give it depth? hm.

I don't like OSX because it feels too dumbed down for me. A lot of Apple products I don't 'get'. The Magic Mouse thing is really spectacularly bad at everything for example. But the iPhone I get. It's a fresh way of interacting with a phone, rather than Windows Mobile and Nokias development of phone OS's which has just been edit the previous version and shove more features in where they fit. The iPad I don't quite 'get' as much as I understand the iPhone, but I also don't dislike it as much as others. I'd love to sit in bed with one and just browse the net easily. The laptop feels quite irritating (and extremely hot on the covers if you aren't careful) in the bed and you can never get your arms in quite the comfortable place. My problem with the iPad is more the price than the lack of features. I have no real use for it, but I'd still love one anyway, just not for £400.

Not everything has to be about productivity. The human interaction and the joy of using a device is now a big part of products. If it wasn't then we'd all be running the Windows grey theme from 95 on everything.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 05, 2010 11:35AM
No I get iPhones and Pods, I just don't get the Pad.

It's horribly over-priced and despite being bigger and more expensive than the Phone, it does less.

I don't have a use for one myself, but if I did get one, it would be one of the Android or Windows 7 ones, which will give some of the features the iPad just doesn't offer.

I am liking the look of the Notion Ink Adam myself. It probably won't even see the light of day, but it does feature a dual screen - ePaper and standard LCD, allowing you to use it regardless of the light conditions, which is something the iPad is sorely missing for me.

Like I say, I can't see a use for one for myself beyond ePenis mode - I'm just keeping an eye on the form-factor to see where it's headed. Doubtless it will either carve out a dedicated niche or 2 or it will just die.

Regarding Windows Mobile 6.5. Well it's not the best right now (Android looks to be pummelling it) but I still prefer it to OS. I have zero complaints about my HTC TouchPro - zero. But then I have a cooked ROM rather than the a standard HTC one. OK, it could maybe do with a dual-touch screen, but then it is 2 year old now. Wouldn't mind a Desire or HD2, but I'd miss the keyboard of the TouchPro.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2010 11:38AM by gav.
Date: June 08, 2010 12:24AM
Posted by: LS.
Apple announcing the new iPhone 4 was hardly the shock of the century, but Steve Jobs still offered up a few little extra morsels to keep all the hordes of Apple upgraders happy.

Here's the run down of all the key information, so if you want to find out whether this is the new phone for you, then check out all you need to know about the new iPhone 4:

1. HD video recording - and iMovie too

If you were looking for the iPhone to get a better camera, look no further than the recent iPhone 4 announcement - it's got HD video recording at a slick 30fps.

You can tap to focus, share with one click and use the built in video light to make sure you get better movies even if recording at night. We're worried this may mean the end of the 'special' ambience in Paris Hilton's 'special' videos.

You can also edit and manipulate the movies directly from the device, with iMovie now developed for the iPhone OS as well, designed to mimic the desktop version.

However, the new app isn't free - you'll likely have to pay around £3.50 for the privilege.

2. New 5MP camera with LED flash

The iPhone has always has a poor camera and almost wore it proudly as a badge of honour - no more, as the new iPhone 4 is packing a 5MP sensor with LED flash too (although sadly it's the same one as used on the video recorder.

While it's not as headline-grabbing as the ability to record HD video, Apple has put a lot of effort into the iPhone 4's snapping capabilities, keeping the pixel size the same as a 3.2MP camera without skimping on the specs.

This means more photons onto each pixel, which in turn makes a better picture. Has Apple finally cracked what it means to be a mo-pho? (MObile PHOtographer)

3. Retina display - not an eye scanner

The iPhone has traditionally had the same specs year in, year out, and the screen has suffered because of it. The 3.5-inch HVGA display used to be lovely - but now it's ageing as WVGA screens career past it.

However, Jobs announced the new Retina Display at the unveiling of the new iPhone 4, which has a whopping 960 x 640 display resolution, and is handily four times the pixel density (326ppi), meaning easy scaling of applications.

One sad thing is it's 'only' an LCD rather than a gorgeous OLED powering the display, although Jobs things that his IPS technology offers superb colour reproduction and a wide viewing angle that's better than OLED.

The overall message though: this screen is so high-res that it's 'beyond the sweet spot', meaning Apple thinks it can't get much sharper on a screen this size.

4. Video calling makes a comeback with FaceTime

Steve Jobs might need reminding what year it is, with the new addition of FaceTime meaning video calling is seen as his 'One More Thing'.

Yes it's cool to be able to talk to your friends, and cooler to do it via the front or back camera. But we mean it was cool circa 2003, when the technology was already out there over 3G.

Actually, that's another thing: Apple won't be letting you talk on FaceTime when you're out and about, rather only when connected to WiFi can you start chatting with pictures.

This isn't going to change in the near future, at least not until 2011, so we're not sure how popular this feature is actually going to be, especially as it's limited to iPhone 4's only.

5. iPhone 4 release date - UK gets 24 June

The new iPhone 4 is going to be rolled out faster that ever before, with the new handset given a 24 June UK release date.

The iPhone 4 is actually going to be released in five countries at the same time: The UK, US, Japan, Germany and France.

Pre-ordering goes live on 15 June, but The Carphone Warehouse has jumped the gun a little bit and put pre-registration for pre-ordering live from today - perhaps a bit excessive.

AT&T in the US is offering the chance to upgrade early to the iPhone 4 is you're due an upgrade this year, and O2 is 'preparing offers for in-contract customers'... with Vodafone announcing availability too, we're hoping this might be a treat for certain customers.

6. Thinnest smartphone ever

Yes, you heard that right - Apple has managed to make its iPhone so thin its parents are starting to get worried.

At 9.6mm thin, it's certainly pocket-friendly, and that's not where the redesign ends either - it's all glass and stainless steel here now.

The glass is apparently to help combat scratches and improve optical clarity, and the stainless steel makes it extra tough - impressive in such a thin frame.

It has integrated antennas that are "part of the primary structural elements of the phone" which means less space, more stuff in there

7. Popping in a gyroscope

With the new iPhone 4, Apple has added in something called 3-axis gyro.

This, coupled with the accelerometer and the compass, makes the iPhone a real virtual gaming machine, adding motion sensitivity to make it a rival to the PS3 controller.

To show off the technology, Steve Jobs played a virtual Jenga-like game on the device, slightly moving the iPhone 4 to knock out individual blocks.

We're sure there will be better games than this on the way, but the iPhone has clearly arrived as a new style gaming machine - although waving the iPhone 4 around like you just don't care may not appeal to all.

8. 40% better battery life

One of the main criticisms of the iPhone is the poor battery life - well, one way to improve that is to make it nearly half as much better again.

OK, it would be better if it lasted three days or something, but this is a pretty significant upgrade, and offers a number of improved elements.

3G talk time is now rated at seven hours, browsing over 3G is six hours (10 over WiFi), with video 10 hours and music 40 hours.

However, if you just want to leave your iPhone 4 doing nothing, then you'll be pleased to know you can do that for over 12 days - 300 hours of standby is nothing to be sniffed at.

9. Apple adds in its own processor

Steve Jobs announced the new Apple-manufactured A4 processor in the iPad, and it's repeated the trick with the iPhone 4 as well.

We're still not sure on the official specs of the processor... the iPad was running at 1GHz and Apple made a big deal about that, but Steve Jobs conspicuously didn't give any specs about the new chip this time around - this could hint it's clocked a little lower.

However, the new iPhone 4 will need some grunt to handle editing 720p video, so fingers crossed it's not too far off the iPad.

10. Bing comes into search

Grumpy with Google? Yawning at Yahoo? Well, you can get Bored of Bing now too on the iPhone 4, as Apple has announced the chance to search in a different way.

Although Google is offered up as the official search engine by default, the new iPhone 4 will offer up the Microsoft search engine to give its users, you know, a bit of choice.

Steve Jobs even had some kind words to say about Ballmer's Brigade: "Microsoft has done a great job on this. Check it out, it's kinda cool."

Praise indeed.

11. iPhone OS 4.0 has gone

OK, we tricked you there. It hasn't really gone... it's just been re-badged. The iPhone OS has been re-named simply: iOS, as the iPad is seen as an equally important device.

Another cool thing about this change is it hints at more iOS devices in the future - Apple TV coming with an iPhone-a-like interface, anyone?

12. iBooks gets an overhaul

OK, we know - we don't even have iBooks in the UK as yet, so technically there's not overhaul to be had.

The main highlight is a PDF viewer built right into the application, and you can also add in bookmarks and throw in a few notes here and there too.

The new enhancements for iBooks will also be available to iPad users - and while the new features aren't exactly game-changing, it is good to see that Apple is tweaking apps for the device so soon after launch.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: June 08, 2010 05:53PM
The only thing they really announced there was Bing being included in the search engines. Almost everything else we knew already. So...woo and stuff.

I'll pass on the iPhone 4 and pick up a second hand 3GS.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: June 08, 2010 06:23PM
Posted by: msater
DaveEllis Wrote:
> I'll pass on the iPhone 4 and pick up a second
> hand 3GS.

I might find myself doing that too, however much I'd like an iPhone 4.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: June 25, 2010 08:46PM
So, the iPhone 4. The phone which discriminates against lefties.

As a right-handed guy, it also would discriminate against me - whenever I'm taking notes or using a computer while on the phone (which is most of the calls I make), I, naturally hold the phone in my left hand.

I briefly half thought about getting an iPhone (probably not an iPhone 4) as my next phone - not because I like them, but because I'd love to know what the fuss is about. After all, it would be fully usable - just not in the way I'd like. I've used a couple, but I would like to know what they were like to live with day after day. Obviously it would be too expensive an experiment to actually attempt, a backwards way of proving a point and now given that you can't really use them in your left hand (especially in rural areas I suspect, where signal is generally weaker to start with), but it was something I thought about.

That said, as I've said previously I don't have a problem with iPhones or iPods (so long as people buy them knowing what they're getting and not just getting one because it's an iPhone and they're blinded muppets... or iPad buyers as they will likely become known as).
Date: June 25, 2010 09:45PM
Posted by: Morbid
Just so you know, it is an official Apple business plan, to real time monitor and resell your location information based on tracking through your Apple products. This information, while resold in an anonymized state, is then used to launch location based advertisements at the user. If any of you have seen The Minority Report, you know exactly how this works.

[appadvice.com]
[latimesblogs.latimes.com]

None of you would allow the state to monitor you like this... You are being F'd in the A' with your own money. Enjoy!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2010 09:47PM by Morbid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy