Stig is 'sacked': Clarkson

Posted by mortal 
Stig is 'sacked': Clarkson
Date: September 08, 2010 10:46AM
Posted by: mortal
Top Gear host Jeremy Clarkson says outed Stig Ben Collins has been "sacked" from the popular motoring show.
The Formula 3 driver was revealed as the mystery white-suited driver after the BBC failed to stop him publishing his memoirs last week.
"It was such a shock," Clarkson told little-known English community news service WitneyTV.

Article here <------read the comments! :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Re: Stig is 'sacked': Clarkson
Date: September 08, 2010 11:08AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
I love all this uninformed crap that's spewing out from newspapers and media outlets who pretend they know what they are talking about.

The Formula 3 driver

He hasn't driven F3 in almost 10 years.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 08, 2010 12:09PM
Posted by: chet
Im supprised at the reaction from all 3 presenters...

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 08, 2010 02:34PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
yeah dave, more like FORMERULA 3! am i right?!?
Date: September 08, 2010 02:46PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
PS mortal, you make mention of reading the comments, I saw a similar article on the sydney morning herald's site this morning, and the comments on that are just absurd. I'd have thought there'd be a filter of sorts in terms of the calibre of people that find their way voluntarily to a news site and proffer an opinion, but no, this country is filled with absolute morons.
Date: September 08, 2010 03:10PM
Posted by: LS.
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PS mortal, you make mention of reading the
> comments, I saw a similar article on the sydney
> morning herald's site this morning, and the
> comments on that are just absurd. I'd have thought
> there'd be a filter of sorts in terms of the
> calibre of people that find their way voluntarily
> to a news site and proffer an opinion, but no,
> this country is filled with absolute morons.

Nah, we get those idiots too over here sadly as well

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 08, 2010 05:41PM
Posted by: mclarenf1fan
From the comments in the article: "i reckon Ayrton Senna should give it go - he is already in the white uniform and he is my favourite all time racer." - dear oh dear.
Date: September 08, 2010 05:53PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
mclarenf1fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the comments in the article: "i reckon Ayrton
> Senna should give it go - he is already in the
> white uniform and he is my favourite all time
> racer." - dear oh dear.

Some parts of Australia haven't heard the news yet ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 08, 2010 06:21PM
Posted by: EC83
Surely it can't be that hard to find another driver who's completely unknown but bloody good, then make them the next Stig but with a tighter contract. Problem solved.

Is it really that simple, or am I missing something?

Date: September 08, 2010 06:44PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Anthony Davidson, you heard it here first ;).
Date: September 08, 2010 09:05PM
Posted by: danm
Davidson would fit too well - little stig!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: September 08, 2010 09:37PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Or get Perry McCarthy back. Who'd suspect that?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 08, 2010 10:46PM
Posted by: gav
EC83
Surely it can't be that hard to find another driver who's completely unknown but bloody good, then make them the next Stig but with a tighter contract. Problem solved.

The good thing about Ben Collins wasn't only the driver himself, but his company could provide other drivers, either for when more than 1 driver was needed or when he himself was unavailable. Not many could boast such a flexible service and remain cost effective. I have read plenty of calls for Sabine Schmitz to become a base for 'pink stig', and while that would be an excellent choice in my opinion, she's not exactly got a load of time on her hands, and it would be rather a waste to have such an infectious smile hidden behind a costume.

Still, I'll believe the sacking it's confirmed. Top Gear is big enough to need to make an official statement on the matter, so while I'm not necessarily doubting them, I'm not going to take as gospel what an apparently small Australian media source has quoted until I see something more concrete from TG themselves - it's not like they don't have a very active website or popular magazine through which to announce it, so Clarkson letting slip to a tabloid makes little sense. Not that it would be unexpected, but still.

Still, I'm also of the opinion that TG will implode soon. Increasing audiences are their very weakness, feeling the need to pander to the wider viewer, and I feel the show is becoming much weaker as a result, to the point where it can be excruciating viewing now. TG has always been scripted, but always in a less obvious manner. It's now become centred around that staging and it's so blatantly scripted it's actually insulting.

Hammond has lost all sense of appeal - I don't know if it's to his accident or whether he's doing too much or if it's plain ageing, but he's not annoying or interesting or funny any longer... he's boring - The Vietnam and Polar specials aside - in the Polar special he was epic.

Clarkson, while hardly a creature of vast intelligence, is actually playing up to this created character of a fat buffoon who can only ever be ham-fisted or shout "power" at everything. He's funnier than that. He's brighter than that. He's more interesting than that.

May is the only one holding the show together at the moment.
Date: September 08, 2010 11:09PM
Posted by: KGrant
I apply for Pink Stig xxxxx

Kx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: September 09, 2010 08:33AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
TG has always been scripted, but always in a less obvious manner. It's now become centred around that staging and it's so blatantly scripted it's actually insulting.

I actually said that a few years back and a few people (including yourself) said it's a comedy show based around cars, not a documentary. So..yeah :P

May is the only one holding the show together at the moment

May is awesome, but his script isn't. The over use of him getting "lost" and all the rest of it is just as bad as Hammond pretending cars with 6 foot spoilers are awesome. Clarkson for me is still the strongest.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy