Ask Vader......

Posted by Vader 
Re: Ask Vader
Date: October 23, 2009 03:51AM
Posted by: Vader
smorr: Who will win the Super Bowl, and should I place my bets based off of your word?

Vader: The team with the most scored points at the end of the match will win. You can bet on it.

Fincent: Where does the word 'question' come from, and why do we feel compelled to answer them? This brings me onto my next thought quite nicely. Because there people feel compelled to answer a question, are there any questions that simply have no answer? This doesnt include questions that we dont know the answer to, because in such cases the answer would simply be "I dont know" or something along similar lines.

Vader: Related to the word "quest" it is derived from Latin quarrier ("to seek";).
A lot of question can't be answered right now. And that is only positive. If all questions were answered there wouldn't be any development anymore. Open questions are important and sometimes finding the right question is more important than the ability to answer that question. As long as you can ask you are ready to learn. If you think you know all the answers you are either arrogant and ignorant or a superior being like me.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 23, 2009 04:17AM
Posted by: smorr
Who is the greatest guitarist within the last 30 years?

The Flanker is gone. :(
Date: October 23, 2009 12:51PM
smorr: Who is the greatest guitarist within the last 30 years?

Vader: An answer to this can only be based on personal preference. And it depends on how you define "great" - is it best technique? Is it being influentual? Is it being unique? Is it what most people like?

People usually start a frigging jihad when discussing this topic.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 23, 2009 01:12PM
Posted by: Fincent
Vader Wrote:

>
> Fincent: Where does the word 'question' come from,
> and why do we feel compelled to answer them? This
> brings me onto my next thought quite nicely.
> Because there people feel compelled to answer a
> question, are there any questions that simply have
> no answer? This doesnt include questions that we
> dont know the answer to, because in such cases the
> answer would simply be "I dont know" or something
> along similar lines.
>
> Vader: Related to the word "quest" it is derived
> from Latin quarrier ("to seek";).
> A lot of question can't be answered right now. And
> that is only positive. If all questions were
> answered there wouldn't be any development
> anymore. Open questions are important and
> sometimes finding the right question is more
> important than the ability to answer that
> question. As long as you can ask you are ready to
> learn. If you think you know all the answers you
> are either arrogant and ignorant or a superior
> being like me.

I do understand what you're saying but maybe I didnt word my original question correctly. You say that "A lot of question can't be answered right now." but there is an answer, which is "I don't know the answer". Is it possible to have such a question where there quite literally is no answer, no response, where not even "I dont know the answer" doesnt apply?

Even the most profound and complex questions will warrant a response of some sort. But are there such questions that we simply cannot answer, even just to say "I dont know"?

Circuit Thermalito

Liverpool Waterfront Circuit (WIP)
Date: October 23, 2009 05:16PM
Fincent: I do understand what you're saying but maybe I didnt word my original question correctly. You say that "A lot of question can't be answered right now." but there is an answer, which is "I don't know the answer". Is it possible to have such a question where there quite literally is no answer, no response, where not even "I dont know the answer" doesnt apply?

Even the most profound and complex questions will warrant a response of some sort. But are there such questions that we simply cannot answer, even just to say "I dont know"?

Vader: That would negate the nature of a question, yes even of communication itself. Asking questions is part of communication. Communication can never be a one way road. Constructing a question that can't trigger off any kind of response would defy its purpose.

Or in other words: it's within the definition of "question" that at least searching for an answer is essential. May it be a final answer, an "I don't know" or at least an "I'll have to think about about it."

The only possible way would be if someone asked you a question in language you don't understand and you fail to notice that it was a question. It is, however, disputable if a question that is not being recognized as such (for what reason ever) is a question at all. It has been encoded as a question by communicator A but communicator B failed to decode it, thus it is a question on the side of the speaker but not on the side of recipient ...

I recommend to read Watzalawick.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 23, 2009 08:10PM
Posted by: senna9194
Date: October 23, 2009 08:34PM
senna9194: How are you?^^

Vader: Bene, grazie! E come stai?

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 23, 2009 11:14PM
Posted by: Lex
Forse la domanda non era per me, ma io non sto un gran che.

Vader schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would negate the nature of a question,
> yes even of communication itself. Asking questions
> is part of communication. Communication can never
> be a one way road. Constructing a question that
> can't trigger off any kind of response would defy
> its purpose.
>
> Or in other words: it's within the definition of
> "question" that at least searching for an answer
> is essential. May it be a final answer, an "I
> don't know" or at least an "I'll have to think
> about about it."
>
> The only possible way would be if someone asked
> you a question in language you don't understand
> and you fail to notice that it was a question. It
> is, however, disputable if a question that is not
> being recognized as such (for what reason ever) is
> a question at all. It has been encoded as a
> question by communicator A but communicator B
> failed to decode it, thus it is a question on the
> side of the speaker but not on the side of
> recipient ...
>
> I recommend to read Watzalawick.

That's a really nice answer. But can't things that weren't intended as a question (such as my very "That's a really nice answer.";) be interpreted as such? Don't all statements imply in a question? Not the one that (maybe) motivated the statement, but a question that comes after the statement?

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: October 23, 2009 11:36PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Porque te llaman Vader? Que le paso a skywalker? Tu hijo Luke te quiere?

Cual es la velocidad maxima que viaja tus cruzeros galacticos?

La tierra es plana? Que teorias hay al respecto?

La ultima pregunta, Que le paso a la estrella de la muerte? Como escapaste?

;)
Date: October 24, 2009 03:06PM
Vader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> senna9194: How are you?^^
>
> Vader: Bene, grazie! E come stai?

ça va,ça va,merci ^^

My GPGSL Career
Date: October 24, 2009 09:33PM
Lex: That's a really nice answer. But can't things that weren't intended as a question (such as my very "That's a really nice answer.";) be interpreted as such? Don't all statements imply in a question? Not the one that (maybe) motivated the statement, but a question that comes after the statement?

Vader: You could rephrase this like the old question "if a tree falls in a forest and nobody is there to hear it does it make a sound?" What first may sound silly actually is fast from it. The falling sends out sonic waves and only when these waves reach the eardrum (or any other device dersigned to hear) it becomes a sound. If not it simply stays a sonic wave. Same with a communication - if nobody is there to decode it it isn't communication and since questions are part of communication there can't be questions either.

jcaranti: Porque te llaman Vader? Que le paso a skywalker? Tu hijo Luke te quiere?

Vader: [__[]]
[tmp.grandprixgames.org][/url]
[tmp.grandprixgames.org][/url]

jcaranti: Cual es la velocidad maxima que viaja tus cruzeros galacticos?

Vader:

(Why do I get this distinct feeling of déjà vu?)

jcaranti: La tierra es plana? Que teorias hay al respecto?

Vader: It's flat and if you sail westwards from Argentina you'll fall over the edge.

jcaranti: La ultima pregunta, Que le paso a la estrella de la muerte? Como escapaste?

Vader: Look at my first answer to this post, put two and two together, Bob's your uncle and you'll have the answer.

senna9194: ça va,ça va,merci

Vader: That's not a question. I just didn't delete it because of the ^^ - are you trying to flirt with me? I'm a married family father ...

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 24, 2009 10:32PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Vader@ Thank you for the answers. Seems i didnt search good enough.
Sorry about that.

Who will be the 2010 Formula 1 champion?

Kind regards
Jorge.
Date: October 24, 2009 11:01PM
jcaranti: Vader@ Thank you for the answers. Seems i didnt search good enough.
Sorry about that.

Who will be the 2010 Formula 1 champion?

Kind regards
Jorge.

Vader: Again you didn't search good enough. My first answer on page 9 of this thread was: The driver with the most points in the end. If there is more than one the same amount points, race wins count and so on.

And yes, I missed out a "with" there.

Kind regards
Vader

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 24, 2009 11:13PM
Has Vader considered a career in Politics? He seems very good at pussyfooting around certain questions.

Date: October 24, 2009 11:25PM
smorr: Has Vader considered a career in Politics? He seems very good at pussyfooting around certain questions.

Vader: Vader is a teacher. He knows everything about pussyfooting around questions.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 25, 2009 12:43AM
Well Vader should ditch the teaching and become a politician. Did you have sexual relations with that woman on the pool table?

;)

Date: October 25, 2009 12:55AM
smorr: Well Vader should ditch the teaching and become a politician. Did you have sexual relations with that woman on the pool table?

Vader: She smoked that cigarre but did not inhale.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 26, 2009 01:51PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
what's the only country that is pronounced by an english letter and and then an english number?
Date: October 26, 2009 09:07PM
why does my Maths teacher hate me?

i didn't nothing against her...

My GPGSL Career
Date: October 26, 2009 11:47PM
MikaHalpinen: what's the only country that is pronounced by an english letter and and then an english number?

Vader: The state of H8.

senna9194: why does my Maths teacher hate me?i didn't nothing against her...

Vader: Chi la fa l'aspetti.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy