Vader Trophy is Recruiting!

Posted by Glyn 
Re: Vader Trophy is Recruiting!
Date: December 28, 2007 09:02AM
Posted by: Briere
Are you done with that 2005 Cosworth sound pack Ian ? ;)
Date: January 09, 2008 05:38PM
Posted by: richardd
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well actually I'm just trying to land Rich in the
> sh!t :P He said the top 4 drivers in terms of
> speed and thats the order I put them in :P

That's exactly what he asked me for!!! Stop trying to @#$%& stir DELLIS :P
Date: January 09, 2008 06:00PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
you deserve all the stirred @#$%& that can be deliverd

Date: February 14, 2008 12:18AM
Posted by: broders
Update time: Silverstone Circuit 1967, Eagle time 1:32.901 session R improvement -0.302

GPLRank score = 85.092 (no change)

-=-=-=-=-=-
VT Driver
Broders
Date: February 14, 2008 12:36AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I think I beat that in my 5th lap tonight :P.
Good job Joe! :D
Date: February 14, 2008 05:00AM
Haha, I just checked online and I also beat my laptime ! :D
Date: April 10, 2008 05:11PM
Posted by: Bruninho
Guimengo Wrote:
> Haha, I just checked online and I also beat my
> laptime ! :D

Gui beats gui? oh noes! ;)

Date: April 22, 2008 06:25PM
Posted by: sasjag
no point starting a new topic, but Jon/Glyn is the server still down/having problems? havent been able to get on since about 4pm

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 22, 2008 09:52PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Working fine for me at this point. Wasn't earlier on.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 07, 2008 06:03PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
OK, I think the DNS at my halls of residence doesn't like me at all. I'll be in the VT room in VROC if you wanna talk to me. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: May 07, 2008 07:35PM
Posted by: gav
I think I'll tune into Ventrilo for tonight's race (it being Spa and all). Details posted on the VT forums if you can get onto it at all.
Date: May 07, 2008 11:46PM
Posted by: sasjag
turkey_machine Wrote:
> OK, I think the DNS at my halls of residence
> doesn't like me at all. I'll be in the VT room in
> VROC if you wanna talk to me. :)

i'm getting the same problem as you, in that i cant access teh forum of evenings/night time

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 04, 2008 10:18PM
Posted by: Vader
This thraed has been dead for a few months now and I have been away so I don't know what actually has become of the Trophy. Just let take the oportunity to express that it still humbles me and leaves me speechless to see that this has been going on for so many years.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: October 07, 2008 02:31AM
It's going quite strong and the aliens are still amazing
Date: October 07, 2008 09:42AM
VT doesn't have any aliens. Despite what Rich looks like.

2 races left in season 8. 3 drivers still with a decent shot at the title, 2 of which haven't yet won one.
Date: October 07, 2008 10:06AM
Posted by: Morbid
Bollocks. The top 10 this season all have GPLranks lower than -30. Several are -50 and you can even find -60. When I was there most were not even negative. That vast majority of all GPL racers will never get there... only an extremely small percentage, like one out of thousands, will get the ranks that VT sports now. If that isn't alien, nothing is...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 07, 2008 10:19AM
There's a clear definition of 'alien' in GPL, Morbid. When you load a lap in GPL Replay Analyser and you hear an extract from the X-files theme tune, you're looking at an alien lap time. That probably only works on Papy tracks, or perhaps the earlier, major non-Papy tracks though. Still as far as I'm aware, none of us have done an alien lap time yet on any of those circuits.

VT has never been healthier in terms of having such a strength in depth of drivers (5 winners in the opening 6 races this season vouches for that, of which the highest ranking driver in VT wasn't one), but we don't have any aliens. I'd argue there's been a few alien lap times at some tracks, but they're usually fairly obscure tracks, usually without enough laps to be deemed reliable enough to be in the GPLRA database.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 10:22AM by gav.
Date: October 07, 2008 10:51AM
I am aware of that definition. I don't give much for it, as it was introduced a long time after the concept of aliens was introduced and widespread in the community. Back when only 10 people had ranks of -50, they were the aliens. As more and more people reached this rank, the bar was raised. Then a few years ago, this definition came along.

I have no use for a relative standard. Neither do I have any use for a standard, that some programmer decided to introduce, based on obscure and unknown subjective standards, for who is alien and who is not. The standard is either absolute and transparent or there is no standard.

GPL has been around for 10 years now. Of course the envelope will be pushed. That doesn't mean that what was amazing 5 years ago still isn't amazing. A newbie picking up the game will still have the same impression of how impossibly fast it is, and have the same long way to improve to get there.

Everybody used to say that it physically impossible for the human body to do a 4 minute mile. Then in 1954 Roger Bannister actually did it. Something like 10 people did that feat within a year of Bannister doing it. They could, just because they now knew it was possible. Since then many people have done a 4 minute mile. The WR has even been shaved by 17 seconds. All that being true, running a 4 minute mile is still stupidly impossible for most people, damn impressive, and a true hallmark for being a world class athlete.

Similarly being alien is about driving so stupidly fast, that normal drivers perceive you as coming from another planet. I listed the status of the top 10 above, and what it takes to get there. Additionally VT currently has at least one driver in the top 300 of GPL rank. I maintain, if that is not good enough, nothing is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 11:05AM by Morbid.
Date: October 07, 2008 11:10AM
There are three of us inside the top 300 by the looks of it.

That's fair enough, but I personally don't agree generally, as if I look at a true alien's lap from even 2000, then I'm still taken aback, perhaps in the same way that someone around the benchmark might look at someone's lap at -50, but that's subjective. If I were to go out into the playground and have a kick about with the kids at break, they might look up at me (more likely me looking up at them now!), but it doesn't suddenly make one of us capable of playing professionally.

Since just 1 and a half years after GPL was released the standard has been -80 or so. No-one in VT could aspire to that, not then, not now and not in the future.

If we're aliens at anything, then it's VTR in GTP, where Rich is the fastest guy in any league we've entered. He still admits that if Towler or Huttu came back to it, then he'd be behind them though (indeed he was behind Towler after Towler did only 10 or so laps with us practising at Spa with us a couple of years back).
Date: October 07, 2008 11:42AM
Come on! I severely doubt that the standard for aliens was -80 in 99-00... Until this date, some 8-9 years later, only 72 people have made it below -80... looking at the top 10 at GPLrank, only ONE person had gone below -80 in 2000. That was Gregor Huttu, and he went from -83,5 to -87,5 in late December 2000. Surely... less than -80 could do it ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2008 11:46AM by Morbid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy