Which Car Insurance?

Posted by iCeMaN pAuL 
Which Car Insurance?
Date: October 05, 2008 09:44PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
I'm currently looking at swiftcver.com as they appear to be the cheapest, but I'm also aware that you get what you pay for.

This is my first time insuring a car for myself and I'm 21, so it's going to be a bit expensive, but can anyone recommend a good car insurer?

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Re: Which Car Insurance?
Date: October 05, 2008 10:42PM
Posted by: Monza972
www.comparethemarket.com ;-)

">
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Date: October 05, 2008 10:53PM
Posted by: J i m
I'm guessing you did the old put your parent as the main driver trick? So you haven't got any no claims bonus.

Sites like confused.com etc are pretty helpful for comparing the deals around, although if you're feeling up to it to it you could try playing the insures off against each other to see if they're willing to knock anything off their premiums.
Date: October 05, 2008 11:07PM
Posted by: sasjag
Tesco tbh!

My 1.2l Grande Punto Stripes, me (22yo, licence for 2 years and 2 years no claims) and with my dad as a 2nd named driver, £540 for teh year, fully comp, inc. legal services and courtesy car, whereas Endsleigh wanted £1100 and Norwich Union wanted £800

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 05, 2008 11:22PM
Posted by: Muks_C
try the online sites, and get a Yellow Pages and ring every free insurer you can. i spend 2 or 3 days ringing round about a week before mine is due each year, playing them off each other (truthfully of course, because they can always find out themselves if the price you say company x quoted is real or not), and then decide which is best for you.

it's happened to me where i've done an online quote, and within seconds my phone has rung from a particular insurer asking me how their quote was compared to others. they must be monitoring the online quotes and chasing them up if you don't buy it immediately.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: October 06, 2008 11:21AM
sasjag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tesco tbh!
>
> My 1.2l Grande Punto Stripes, me (22yo, licence
> for 2 years and 2 years no claims) and with my dad
> as a 2nd named driver, £540 for teh year, fully
> comp, inc. legal services and courtesy car,
> whereas Endsleigh wanted £1100 and Norwich Union
> wanted £800

just got a quote from tescos, bloody good actually!

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 06, 2008 11:48AM
actually, tescos doesn't cover me for getting to and from work, as i'm currently unemployed.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 06, 2008 01:44PM
Posted by: sasjag
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> actually, tescos doesn't cover me for getting to
> and from work, as i'm currently unemployed.

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: October 06, 2008 04:43PM
Posted by: Monza972
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> actually, tescos doesn't cover me for getting to
> and from work, as i'm currently unemployed.

Paul, this site is good for you for now.

[www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk] ;)
Date: October 06, 2008 07:53PM
Posted by: _tux_
try ecar! they were good for me (better then tesco)
Date: October 06, 2008 08:26PM
Posted by: harjinator
i'm with Endsleigh... only insurer that would insure me for less than 2500 quid (20 (just) on a 95 1.3 Corolla)... roll on next year... hoping it'll go down to a grand

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: October 06, 2008 08:28PM
Posted by: Nickv
2500 quid? Where the @#$%& do you live? In a vulcano?
Date: October 06, 2008 09:29PM
Posted by: Red Sam
I am with Quinn Insurance. Consistently the cheapest, and the staff have lovely Irish accents when you call up :)

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: October 06, 2008 09:46PM
so far the best for the money i've been quotes is More Th>n, so it'll probably be them :)

thanks for people's posts though, it appears everyone is with somewhere different which is about as much help as a swimsuit in a desert ;)

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 06, 2008 11:42PM
Posted by: danm
I am 22, had a licence for two and a half years but hit the back of a naughty turkish woman who was drunk and did a runner after the crash. she pulled across from a layby with no indicators or lights on in the thick nasty rain you get only on bank holiday mondays lol. never did find out what happened to her, all I know is her car was left abandoned for a good 5 or 6 days, and I never heard much more about it.

needless to say, i only have one years no claims, but Admiral quoted me at £580 fully comp a ful 12 months after it happened, and I also get to have my no claims issued to me after 10 months, but classes it fast tracked to a full years worth. its an add on thing that actually makes it the same price and is called the bonus accelerator policy. very good service team, fast mailing too. previously with qwik fitt/pile of $hit.

my mum is also named as a driver, not the main. without her me on my own was £100 or so more. Just adding her as 'able to drive it if she likes but doesnt and never will' knocked off £100!

Also, where the vehicle is registered. At portsmouth postcode, its more as its a rough area. As I keep my car on the drive at home, Kings Langley is much nicer and thus for that reason the lower crime chance gives a lower quote.

Admiral FTW!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2008 11:45PM by danm.
Date: October 07, 2008 12:05AM
Posted by: Red Sam
LOL - Kings Langley.... :P

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Date: October 07, 2008 11:10AM
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> it appears everyone is with somewhere different which is
> about as much help as a swimsuit in a desert ;)

Yup, well the whole situation is pretty dynamic. Firstly the different companies are competing for your money, and then as been mentioned other factors such as location, what car it is and where you keep it, your age, your gender! etc all have a bearing on the quote you'll get.

Some insurers don't like dealing with certain parts of the market, so they'll deliberately price themselves out of some peoples range, even if its on a piss poor and cheap piece of @#$%& like a Yugo.

Since I passed my test many moons ago, I've been insured with Tesco, think it was between 11-1200 for the year 3rd party fire + theft on a 1.2 Nova, through the years and various cars I've had (including loss of my no claims because some @#$%& stole my car at one stage) I've moved to Direct Line, and then to More than.

This year I paid £480 fully comp on a 1.6 Fiesta. I had expected a larger drop in premium owing to the fact I turned 25, but frankly with the way prices in general rise anyway that is now a bit of an urban myth, It probably isn't going to get much lower than that now. Actually it'll probably level off and then begin to rise again, inflation etc.
Date: October 07, 2008 12:37PM
so are you with more th>n now james? as they're the most likely people I'll go with.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: October 07, 2008 01:07PM
Yes I am. They seem to be competitive, I'll recheck the competition when I have to renew in a few months.
Date: October 07, 2008 01:29PM
ok cool, so how would you rate them on a scale of 1 to 10 :P

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy