Vista Ultimate OEM

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Date: January 20, 2007 11:50PM
Posted by: Willb
I did wonder about him....

edit: Another thing, what is the point in having a PCI-E 4x slot and why do some motherboards have it and others dont?

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2007 11:55PM by Willb.
Date: January 21, 2007 01:16AM
Posted by: gav
Willb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> edit: Another thing, what is the point in having a
> PCI-E 4x slot and why do some motherboards have it
> and others dont?

It's very useful for things like RAID cards, which due to the (comparatively) slow speed of even the fastest hard drives, can't put through enough data to saturate the bus. Also, the more lanes the better - any PCI Express card will fit and work in any PCI-E slot, no matter what speed or size. A 1x modem will work fine in a 16x PCIe slot (normally used for graphics cards), and in theory, a graphics card will work fine in a 1x slot (though performance would be rather poor I'd imagine!).

Steve B seems to give good, solid advice most of the time, and I suppose I can understand where he's coming from, but to recommend a Celery, even as a stop-gap measure, just left me scratching my head.
Date: January 21, 2007 11:08AM
Posted by: NeilPearson
gee another problem for me, sigh.

i had vista on my D: and XP on C: but i decided to remove XP and put vista on C: and remove vista on D:

with me?

so as per my first install of vista it couldnt find drivers for my sound card (creative audigy) so i went to the creative website and found some beta drivers for vista, they were dated the 4th january 2007, i installed them and everything worked awsome.

so come forward to my 2nd install of vista, and i go find the drivers again, except these ones are dated on the 12th january 2007, and they dont work. i gives me options for 5.1 sound, but all it does it put the 5 channels coming out of my front speakers. so pretty much its useless to me.

long story short i have removed the drivers about 1000 times and reinstalled a 1000 times. and it keeps coming back to the same thing.

any help?

Date: January 21, 2007 11:14AM
Posted by: dolinseks
install the 4th january drivers? ;) try to find them somewhere else, if they arent on their website (altho they should be).

Date: January 21, 2007 11:22AM
i would love you to find them

anyway been browsing the creative forums, seems heaps of ppl are having issues with the drivers

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2007 11:38AM by NeilPearson.
Date: January 21, 2007 11:46AM
It won't make a difference which drivers you install. None of Creative's drivers work properly in 5.1 in Vista. They're just an awful company - it's a shame there's so little alternative in the sound card arena. :(

Apparently if you extract the XP drivers and install them manually they can work in full 5.1, but it didn't work for me (still 2 channel). I just didn't bother with my Audigy 4 Pro (same driver as yours Neil), and just used my onboard Realtek audio when I was playing with Vista on my old main rig (as on that PC I had to have 2 sound devices in XP anyway).

//edit: Basically, it sounds like you got lucky earlier if you had full 5.1 - other than those trying the XP drivers, nobody at all got them working from what I saw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2007 11:47AM by gav.
Date: January 21, 2007 12:13PM
damn, thanks gav :(

Date: January 23, 2007 02:13AM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
This threads become a bit big! :-o First parts of my PC have arrived though! RAM arrived last week, CPU and Vista arriving tomorrow, or maybe a tad later as Scan is moving warehouses apparantly... just need to find a special offer on a motherboard or wait for the DS3Pro now and I'm all set :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: January 23, 2007 07:13PM
Ian what do you do with all your "old" pc parts lol!

Date: January 24, 2007 01:55PM
Gav, is somthing like this the icybox you were talking about

[www.scan.co.uk]

Date: January 24, 2007 02:00PM
Willb Wrote:
> Ian what do you do with all your "old" pc parts
> lol!

I usually sell them :) Gonna sell Opty 146, Asus A8N Premium SLi Mobo, Zalman CPNS9700 Fan and 2GB Corsair RAM for £250 :)

Yeah thats the IcyBox he was on about, I've got a 2.5" version which I shoved my old 80GB MacBook Pro Hard Drive in when I upgraded it :)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2007 02:04PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: January 24, 2007 06:59PM
To be more specific, I use these ones: [www.scan.co.uk]

As it's not only USB2, but I can connect it to external SATA ports too, so I can do everything with external drives as I can with internal (booting and testing OS images, and more recently, swapping drives around a lot for media use).

Get whichever suits your needs.
Date: January 25, 2007 01:35PM
Hey Will, just noticed at Scan, they are having a today only offer on all IcyBox products! [www.scan.co.uk]

Also the MSI P6N NF680i SLI Board is on special offer at £133, is it worth it? Can't find any reviews on it, but it seems to have Creative X-Fi on board!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2007 01:36PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: January 25, 2007 02:04PM
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> Also the MSI P6N NF680i SLI Board is on special
> offer at £133, is it worth it? Can't find any
> reviews on it, but it seems to have Creative X-Fi
> on board!

Wouldn't touch MSI personally - also, if it's the same audio system that Dell use in their laptops then you'll have to pay extra to get the Creativeness of it. The Dell is just a standard sound chip (Realtek IIRC) but if you paid extra, you could get the Creative applications for it... it was robbery.
Date: January 25, 2007 02:10PM
Fair Enough, I'll just keep looking for more special offers ;) Ta!

Date: January 25, 2007 02:55PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
Just to let you guys know that Vista Ultimate OEM is available from novatech and its a darn sight cheaper than from overclockers (Novatechs price £112 inc. VAT vs £129 inc. VAT)

Date: January 25, 2007 02:58PM
Its avalible from Scan, tekheads, ebuyer, quite a few places, but not as cheap as that, even though Ebuyer comes close at £113, but I've never heard good reports from Novatech :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2007 03:02PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: January 25, 2007 03:36PM
Oh absolutely, Novatech are awful....at their own branded stuff.

For known branded components etc they're great because they're so bloody cheap. However I have no idea what their delivery and RMAs are like because I live pretty much next door to their warehouse :P

Date: January 25, 2007 06:28PM
Posted by: madotteя
DON'T EVER, EVER use novacrap. Had a PC from them once (many years back) and it was terrible. Got a refund after just 4 days. They use the cheapest of the cheap parts and brand them I think.
Date: January 25, 2007 10:19PM
yeah, we know...cause I just said in the previous post :P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy