Date: January 17, 2007 01:11PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
haha thanks.

when i say ages like 1.5 years or so ;)

and i dont remember what it is i think ill get a new one tho

Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Date: January 17, 2007 01:18PM
Posted by: Glyn
If you're getting a new one look for the modular ones. You just plug in the cables you need so you don't have to stuff a bundle of wires somewhere in the case.

Date: January 17, 2007 02:27PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
Yeah I've had a Modular Hiper PSU for a while now, tis very good for saving on space :)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: January 17, 2007 02:33PM
Posted by: MarcLister
Ianwoollam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah I've had a Modular Hiper PSU for a while now,
> tis very good for saving on space :)

Yeah I got one of those last year for my new PC. Ended up using all the connections.
Date: January 17, 2007 07:55PM
Posted by: gav
I've never bothered with modular - all-but-one of the cables gets used anyway, and if for some reason others aren't used, I just tuck them behind the motherboard tray, between it and the right-side cover. Works well with most cases. :)

BTW, Hiper have been brilliant, but just recently I certainly wouldn't recommend one - the past couple of month's batches have just been blowing up for fun. Avoid until they get back to where they were at least 6 months back.
Date: January 18, 2007 01:36PM
gav Wrote:
> BTW, Hiper have been brilliant, but just recently
> I certainly wouldn't recommend one - the past
> couple of month's batches have just been blowing
> up for fun. Avoid until they get back to where
> they were at least 6 months back.

Where the hell do you get this information from? Do you live inside a forum? ;)

Date: January 18, 2007 01:48PM
Come on Neil, you should know that an IT techs job is either watching a percentage bar or 3 while sitting there with their mouth open drooling and eyes half-closed, or sitting there waiting for the percentage bar to reach its upper limits while catching up on every single piece of news posted on the internet ever. I have the Bash.org database backed up in my head.
Date: January 18, 2007 01:55PM
or maybe he just lives in the Hexus Forums ;)

Date: January 18, 2007 02:13PM
I get free shipping from Scan for doing so, so you can't blame me ;)

Also use the OcUK forums. If you ignore the bans for even thinking Ebay or another retailer, and the stupid gangster avatars, there's a lot of good info posted there. Though it's amazing how many enthusiasts (or overclockers) have problems with the simplest things... I'm sure MarcLister would back me up here if he visits the thread.

After having AlphaF1 as my home for years (and to a lesser extent its involuntary replacement, V12racing), I needed a new base forum after deciding I couldn't honestly contribute to TheRacingLine despite what I still consider the friends who run it (nothing against them or the community, more some of the influences and direction it went), and other than the VT forums, Hexus is my home now. A good, honest, respected and very well mannered community. :)

GPG is probably the forum I visit most (roughly equal with Hexus), but without straying into the F1 forum, I find little to contribute in terms of creating threads. I just sit around waiting on people to say their PC is now a structural part of the building, having exploded, then get them to admit they bought a Q-Tec PSU. ;)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 02:17PM by gav.
Date: January 18, 2007 02:22PM
Yeah Hexus is a great place :) I am signed up there just never post, but I usually like to have a look around when I'm looking to upgrade...

The only times I look at ocuk's forums, its usually seems clean... but I can't help thinking how many people have gone to complain there about ocuk but had their posts deleted ;) Also they all advise to buy from overclockers... after they say that, I can't really read anymore ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2007 02:23PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: January 18, 2007 02:41PM
gav Wrote:
> Also use the OcUK forums. If you ignore the bans
> for even thinking Ebay or another retailer, and
> the stupid gangster avatars, there's a lot of good
> info posted there. Though it's amazing how many
> enthusiasts (or overclockers) have problems with
> the simplest things... I'm sure MarcLister would
> back me up here if he visits the thread.

Yup I do and yup I do. Visit the thread and back you up that is. The number of people with alarmingly high post counts who ask amazingly dumb questions or don't search either Google or the forum archives is staggering. There must now be more "What firewall?" or "What antivirus?" threads on OcUK than conspiracy theories about JKF, Vietnam, Iraq etc etc. Yesterday there was someone who had problems with spelling in Thunderbird. He saw everything he wrote being underlined in red when they were spelled correctly. Hmm, so perhaps you need to get the British English dictionary then? I mean there is even a ruddy link IN Thunderbird itself to get more dictionaries.

And considering the focus of the forums to be overclocking the questions being asked routinely are quite astounding. And Gav what you say about the competitors is true. It is a bit silly. As I understand it I couldn't mention/link to Amazon if I was talking about Vista but I think I could mention Amazon if I linked to the music?! Actually I don't know and I don't think the policy is very clear. Its so ambiguous I think the mods just make up there minds each time this happens.

It is a good forum and I've learned things from OcUK that I probably wouldn't have but the amount of rubbish and dross is bringing the forum down. I think one way of cutting down on the crap posted in the General Discussion forum would be to remove the avatars once and for all. People wouldn't feel the need to spam perhaps if they knew they had nothing to gain from it. Also I find that I almost never write a post that is as big as the avatar. So the OcUK forum is wasting screen space because the avatars dictate the size of the post boxes in a thread. Get rid of them and you'd get more of the thread on the screen.
Date: January 18, 2007 02:56PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Getting way back on topic, Vista Business DVD just got added to my e-academy's software list. :)

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 18, 2007 02:59PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> Getting way back on topic, Vista Business DVD just
> got added to my e-academy's software list. :)

So what does this mean? You can get Vista Business free or cheaper than normal? I can get Visual Studio.Net 2005 off my Uni free but that is it as far as I am aware. :(
Date: January 18, 2007 03:23PM
It means I get Vista Business OEM for free, courtesy of my university! ;) They're tied with Microsoft on a few business deals AFAIK, and one of the ways they say thanks to university computing students is to give them free Microsoft software. This includes Visual Studio 6 through 2005, XP SP2, XP x64, Server 2003, Vista Business DVD, and a load of other goodies.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

Date: January 18, 2007 03:25PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> It means I get Vista Business OEM for free,
> courtesy of my university! ;) They're tied with
> Microsoft on a few business deals AFAIK, and one
> of the ways they say thanks to university
> computing students is to give them free Microsoft
> software. This includes Visual Studio 6 through
> 2005, XP SP2, XP x64, Server 2003, Vista Business
> DVD, and a load of other goodies.

Git!! What uni? I really doubt my uni, Salford, have anything like this at all although I once did get Visio 2003 off someone.
Date: January 18, 2007 03:57PM
turkey_machine Wrote:
> It means I get Vista Business OEM for free,
> courtesy of my university! ;) They're tied with
> Microsoft on a few business deals AFAIK, and one
> of the ways they say thanks to university
> computing students is to give them free Microsoft
> software. This includes Visual Studio 6 through
> 2005, XP SP2, XP x64, Server 2003, Vista Business
> DVD, and a load of other goodies.

Thats cool! :) I think Neil (Glyn) gets free Vista too! Shame in the buisness edition you don't get Media Center though... Do you get Office 2007 too?

Date: January 18, 2007 05:03PM
MarcLister Wrote:
> turkey_machine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It means I get Vista Business OEM for free,
> > courtesy of my university! ;) They're tied with
> > Microsoft on a few business deals AFAIK, and
> one
> > of the ways they say thanks to university
> > computing students is to give them free
> Microsoft
> > software. This includes Visual Studio 6 through
> > 2005, XP SP2, XP x64, Server 2003, Vista
> Business
> > DVD, and a load of other goodies.
>
> Git!! What uni? I really doubt my uni, Salford,
> have anything like this at all although I once did
> get Visio 2003 off someone.

Nottingham Trent University. Visio AFAIK is there too! I'll give the full list when I get home tonight.

Ianwoollam Wrote:
> turkey_machine Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > It means I get Vista Business OEM for free,
> > courtesy of my university! ;) They're tied with
> > Microsoft on a few business deals AFAIK, and
> one
> > of the ways they say thanks to university
> > computing students is to give them free
> Microsoft
> > software. This includes Visual Studio 6 through
> > 2005, XP SP2, XP x64, Server 2003, Vista
> Business
> > DVD, and a load of other goodies.
>
> Thats cool! :) I think Neil (Glyn) gets free Vista
> too! Shame in the buisness edition you don't get
> Media Center though... Do you get Office 2007 too?

Not at the moment. I don't think we're likely to get that. We don't get Office 2003 for some reason... I thought they'd be keen to push that cause they got Access, Project and Visio 2003, but no Office to complete it all. :(

Date: January 18, 2007 08:19PM
That full list I promised goes something like this:

Access 2003
Exchange 2003 SP2
MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2005 (3 CDs)
OneNote 2003
Project Professional 2003
SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition - 32 bit (2 CDs)
Virtual PC 2004
Visio for Enterprise Architects
Visio Professional 2003
Visual Studio .NET Professional 2003 (3 CDs, including Prerequisites)
Visual Studio 2005 Professional (2 CDs)
Visual Studio 6 Pro (2 CDs)
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise
Windows Server 2003 Standard
Windows Vista Business DVD
Windows XP Professional 64 bit (Single User)
Windows XP Professional SP2 (Single User)

That's pretty comprehensive I'd say, but I think it lacks Office 2003.

Date: January 18, 2007 08:54PM
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> Thats cool! :) I think Neil (Glyn) gets free Vista
> too! Shame in the buisness edition you don't get
> Media Center though... Do you get Office 2007 too?

I've got Vista Enterprise at the moment, although I do believe the ultimate edition can be given a prod to accept a KMS key. So far I have access too a good selection of Office and Windows apps, but thats all. Although we can download every MS product from the volume licensing downloads. You can put two and two together there :P

Office XP Applications
Office 2003 Applications
Office 2007 Applications
Windows Vista
Office 2003 Suites
Office 2007 Suites
Office XP Suites
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Prof, x64 Ed.
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003
Windows Server 2003 R2, x64 Ed.
Windows Server 2003 R2, x32 Ed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy