Vista Ultimate OEM

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Date: January 26, 2007 11:29AM
Posted by: -qwerty-
I had one of their PCs about 4 years back for when I started uni. It was awesome, but I think they've gone down hill since.

-----------------

She says brief things, her love’s a pony
My love’s subliminal
Date: January 26, 2007 08:18PM
Posted by: madotteя
Just a quick question to anyone who has Vista,

Is it worth getting it now? Are there any serious compatability issues with games, drivers etc... I have heard there is problems with printers, I have an Epson R800, does anyone have one or know if it will function properly?

Cheers
Iain
Date: January 26, 2007 08:25PM
Posted by: gav
There are lots of issues with games. Performance of high-end systems is down around 100% in modern games. Drivers are still very immature.

Knowing Epson, if the XP drivers don't work, you'll be out of luck. In my experience I wouldn't expect to see any Vista drivers coming out of Epson themselves. Printers in general are fine - it's just that manufacturers are particularly lazy writing drivers for them - nothing new, and it's the same with most peripherals.
Date: January 26, 2007 08:39PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Give it a few months for manufacturers to release certified drivers that are stable (keyword). Performance will increase, but that takes time, much like XP did to bridge the gap to 98.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: January 26, 2007 09:32PM
Posted by: Glyn
I got the XP drivers for my Canon printer working without any problems, but it might also be if you have a fairly old printer Vista might have generic support for it anyway.

To anyone thinking of upgrading now, my suggestions would be to do what I do. Install Vista as your main OS and use it for day to day stuff which is great at. I've seen very few compatibility issues myself, even virtual CD drives work which I found surprising. Quite a lot of small utils are being updated too for Vista, and driver support is getting better and better, and you have to remember it's not seen its public release yet. Then for games, install a fresh copy of XP onto another hard drive partition and dual boot. A bare bones XP install boots in no time. Even my 3 year old PC can shut down Vista and have XP loaded within a minute.

Date: January 27, 2007 03:33PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
You've got the same printer as me don't you Neil? the i560? Good to know it works :)

Hmmmm Scan have just emailed me saying my order has been delayed :/ I know they are moving warehouse n'all but they've had a week to send it! :-o

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam
Date: January 27, 2007 06:26PM
Posted by: Willb
Well they seem to have had alot of problems recently, like the stock of items not being updated on the website properly, Its unlike them but Im sure itll be fixed soon. Should have told ya earlier though shouldnt they

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: January 27, 2007 08:44PM
Ianwoollam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You've got the same printer as me don't you Neil?
> the i560? Good to know it works :)

Yep, although I see Canon have now released Vista drivers for it too :)

Date: January 27, 2007 09:18PM
Willb Wrote:
> Well they seem to have had alot of problems
> recently, like the stock of items not being
> updated on the website properly, Its unlike them
> but Im sure itll be fixed soon. Should have told
> ya earlier though shouldnt they

It's not a recent thing, and it's usually only over weekends or bank holidays. They have been really busy of late apparently, but they said they're getting on top of things now... time will tell, as I've also got an order in with them at the moment.
Date: January 27, 2007 09:55PM
Well I'll leave it till Monday, then get in contact if I don't get a Dispatch notice then :)

Date: January 27, 2007 10:17PM
Posted by: Willb
Aparently part of the delay was partly due to the severe weather we had last & this week, so even more backlog Im assuming!

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: February 04, 2007 03:46PM
Posted by: NeilPearson
gav Wrote:
> It won't make a difference which drivers you
> install. None of Creative's drivers work properly
> in 5.1 in Vista. They're just an awful company -
> it's a shame there's so little alternative in the
> sound card arena. :(
>
> Apparently if you extract the XP drivers and
> install them manually they can work in full 5.1,
> but it didn't work for me (still 2 channel). I
> just didn't bother with my Audigy 4 Pro (same
> driver as yours Neil), and just used my onboard
> Realtek audio when I was playing with Vista on my
> old main rig (as on that PC I had to have 2 sound
> devices in XP anyway).
>
> //edit: Basically, it sounds like you got lucky
> earlier if you had full 5.1 - other than those
> trying the XP drivers, nobody at all got them
> working from what I saw.

So, since i had removed XP from my system, and gaming sucked. i formated vista, put XP on, set that up then installed vista.

i download the creative drivers same ones as before, and now i got 5.1.

got there random

Date: February 04, 2007 06:33PM
Finally got Vista all working properly, gonna have to buy a new DVD-ROM as my 6 year old beast won't work anymore, only a tenner and I've been meaning to replace it for a while, it sounds like a Jet! Also had to buy a new TV Card (Terratec Cinergy 2400i Dual Tuner) as my Blackgold dosn't have 64Bit drivers :( So Gav's got that now :)

Overall thought I think Vista is perfectly fine! Seems to run fast enough, but its no where near as bad as some people have been making out. My XF-i works fully with 5.1 surround sound through both direct analog connections (Worked in XP too ;)) and Optical (DTS FTW!) Gaming is okay, obviosuly it ain't great atm but it isn't that bad either, on Company Of Heroes in the test I get 100FPS Max, 25FPS min and 45FPS average, that's more or less the same as my old PC, Same with GTP, I get about 60-80 FPS on average around Daytona Road Course... 3DSMax's Brazil plugin dosn't work properly with 64Bit yet, hence I'm going to install XP on a old 80GB HDD so I can still do renders, but its rare I do renders :) Photoshop CS3 can struggle at times, haven't tested CS2 yet, so it could just be the fact that its a beta which is slowing it down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 06:36PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 04, 2007 06:56PM
What version did you get in the end (32 or 64 bit)
Date: February 04, 2007 07:32PM
64 Bit

Date: February 04, 2007 07:42PM
Ultimate or Home Prem?

EDIT//Just read the other thread :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 07:49PM by madotteя.
Date: February 04, 2007 08:12PM
Posted by: iCeMaN pAuL
i could never get my 5.1 speakers to work with vista, the rear 2 remained silent. pretty much everything else worked ok though.

[en-gb.facebook.com]
Date: February 04, 2007 09:03PM
Ianwoollam Wrote:
> Finally got Vista all working properly, gonna have
> to buy a new DVD-ROM as my 6 year old beast won't
> work anymore, only a tenner and I've been meaning
> to replace it for a while, it sounds like a Jet!
> Also had to buy a new TV Card (Terratec Cinergy
> 2400i Dual Tuner) as my Blackgold dosn't have
> 64Bit drivers :( So Gav's got that now :)

How does it compare to the Blackgolds? I very nearly bought one for my HTPC. The Blackgold's pretty much perfect mind (it does what it's supposed to after all), but I'm just interested for future reference. :)

Got one Blackgold in my HTPC (obviously), and the other will go into my main rig - more flexible setup this way than the more traditional way of putting them both into 1 rig. :)
Date: February 04, 2007 11:34PM
gav Wrote:
> How does it compare to the Blackgolds? I very
> nearly bought one for my HTPC. The Blackgold's
> pretty much perfect mind (it does what it's
> supposed to after all), but I'm just interested
> for future reference. :)

No difference TV Quality wise, on MCE every DVB-T card will be exacly the same :) However it was extremely easy to set up, even in Vista 64Bit! Dual Tuner built in means only have to have 1 ariel lead into the card, PCI Express free's up a PCI slot, Good signal on all channels, Vista 32 and 64 Bit Drivers. Overall great little card!

Date: February 05, 2007 11:43AM
iCeMaN pAuL Wrote:
> i could never get my 5.1 speakers to work with
> vista, the rear 2 remained silent. pretty much
> everything else worked ok though.

Have a look in the sound options in control panel and on one of the tabs there should be 2 tick boxes. One of them will read something along the lines of swapping one output for the rear speakers. Try ticking that, it worked here.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy