Vista Ultimate OEM

Posted by Ianwoollam 
Re: Vista Ultimate OEM
Date: February 05, 2007 08:58PM
Posted by: matt3454
Is RTM the same as Retail? (Same inbuilt drivers n that?) I want to test 64bit on my system before i go and buy it.

(have cheapish hardware and dont want to fork over £200 for something that wont work on my system)

Date: February 06, 2007 01:52PM
Posted by: Glyn
If you visit the Microsoft website theres a util you can download (more or less the same as the XP one) that will look at what hardware you have and tell you if anything wont work.

Date: February 06, 2007 11:23PM
Posted by: Ianwoollam
For anyone here who uses Vista, has anyone actually managed to get the Windows built in CD Burning working at all? Whenever I try it (Now on the 3rd different CDRW Unit) It just freezes right at the start...

/EDIT\ Oh and by the way, I went into Ocuk today and they had a big sign in the window saying "Technical & Sales staff urgently needed" and the people in the back arn't 30 year old guys in suits anymore, they are 20 year old chavs! ;)

PSN/Xbox 360 ID - Ianwoollam

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2007 11:27PM by Ianwoollam.
Date: February 07, 2007 09:49AM
Posted by: gav
Ianwoollam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> /EDIT\ Oh and by the way, I went into Ocuk today
> and they had a big sign in the window saying
> "Technical & Sales staff urgently needed" and the
> people in the back arn't 30 year old guys in suits
> anymore, they are 20 year old chavs! ;)

Haven't had a problem with OcUK myself yet, but all I can say to that is: I'm sticking with Scan and KustomPCs. ;)
Date: February 08, 2007 08:42PM
I ordered my case from Overclockers, no problems at all. Postage is a ripoff though, £12! It was the only place that had it in stock though :(

Ian... I've burnt a few DVDs in Vista without any problems. I must say I was actually quite impressed with the options available in the wizard. It's not a patch on Nero, but then again it's not aimed at that.

Date: February 08, 2007 10:36PM
Hmmmm, must be just my damn PC going nuts then ;) Nero 7 Essentials seems to work tho! (Got it from Ebuyer for £2, bargain ;))

Date: February 09, 2007 02:53PM
I ordered mine from BitTorrent. Free postage and packing too!

Date: February 09, 2007 03:07PM
Nero 7 sucks. At the very least you should be using Nero 7 Lite, and unless you need the media aspect of Nero 7, Nero 6 is just as good, and much lighter (and the latest version of Nero 6 works fine with Vista too).

Personally, I only ever use Nero to burn already compiled DVDs to an image file, then use Imgburn (from the guy who made DVD Decrypter) to burn the image(s) - it's much more robust than Nero, and doesn't take down the entire system if it comes across a problem drive accessing the drive.
Date: February 09, 2007 03:19PM
Nero 7 Lite dosn't work in Vista ;)

Date: February 09, 2007 03:53PM
Latest build apparently does work. It used to work fine with RC2 too, so they've managed to break it since. ;)
Date: February 09, 2007 04:12PM
Fair enough! Well Nero Essentials is a cut down version anyway, only have Nero Express installed due to the fact that Vista Burning dosn't work... So I'm happy :)

Date: February 09, 2007 08:46PM
Posted by: Muks_C
anyone see The Money Programme special about Vista at 7pm on BBC2 tonight? being a n00b at stuff like that (i only got XP a year ago :o), I can't see what the fuss is about, it just does a few extra/cooler things than XP.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 09, 2007 10:07PM
I saw it yeah. Thought it was quite a good programme myself.

There was a good quote in PC Format, that when people say they don't see what all the fuss is about, and what's so good about Vista, the response should be "what do you want it to do?"

If you aren't sure, I suggest you give it ago and see what you think. I've been using it since before Christmas, and XP in some ways feels like it's over 5 years old.

Date: February 09, 2007 10:51PM
Posted by: Muks_C
oh i understand it must be a supr duper new windows, but in the larger context of it, it's only a bit of software. the way they did the launch and all the hype and all that "wow" crap, you'd think it was the cure for all forms of cancer or something.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 09, 2007 11:41PM
Posted by: turkey_machine
Plus, it's £150 for the retail upgrade. That's way more than I wanna spend on an OS. I'll stick with XP, cause it's gonna be around for at least as long as 98 is/was, maybe longer.

Everyone knows that million-to-one chances happen 9 times out of 10; indeed, it's a common requirement in fairy tales. If the human didn't have to overcome huge odds, what would be the point? Terry Pratchett - The Science Of Discworld

GPGSL S5 Race driver for IED.

Date: February 11, 2007 08:24PM
Posted by: Willb
I saw the money program and stupidly went "wow!!" at the part where the logo turns into that color thing, It was accidental, dad laughed at me so much. Must resist advertising.....

Help keep our forums tidy.

Use the search function...
Date: February 15, 2007 01:51AM
Finally got Windows Reinstalled after RAID failure and working the way I want it now :) for gaming I've actually found now that its faster to use Vista than XP if you use the hi-res's (1600x1200, 1920x1200 etc...) and use Vista ReadyBoost. The Nividia drivers are just strange, on my monitor in Company of Heroes, theres a 20 FPS difference between 1920x1200 and 1280x768, In XP theres a 100FPS difference! so for some reason if you use High Resolutions like 1920x1200, Vista's better than XP strangely! :o Man I get really confused with computers these days!

Date: February 15, 2007 04:39PM
It must be some problem with the graphics drivers - probably not producing the correct level of AA and AF, as for the difference between the resolutions in XP and Vista to be 80%, something is not right.

If anything, frame rates should be down, as the desktop is now rendered by the graphics (if you use Aero), and the 'textures' have to be stored there - if you have many windows open, the graphics card keeps those textures in the graphics memory. The reason why if you intend to use Aero seriously, a card with plenty of graphics memory is recommended - Aero requires as a minimum 128mb of graphics memory (though can be worked around with a hack apparently).

Vista does a good job of shifting those textures when it detects a game loading (or more likely when the DX9 emulator kicks in), but it should still not be any faster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy