GPGames Forum Scale Model Section

Posted by LS. 
Re: GPGames Forum Scale Model Section
Date: November 07, 2006 09:34PM
Posted by: Muks_C
you've seen this before, but just a couple of final pics in it's original state, as i got some tobacco decals from TorontoMotorsports, so decided to start the conversion now.

already picked the edges of a couple of the decals on the engine cover, and sidepod with my fingernail, just picked at the edge, and the rest of it lifts up, so shouldn't take long to strip it, and probably won't need to use much acetone.

i'll take a pic or 2 when i've stripped it of Jarno Trulli, then a few as the Mild Seven gets applied.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: November 08, 2006 07:57AM
Posted by: Karan
are you going to be converting that Alonso R23 to Tobacco as well Muks?

Emailed some guy selling this on ebay for a higher res picture so i thought i'd share it here for anyone interested in the model

would definitely look a heck of a lot better with a lid on top rather than stored away in a box. i dont know why Hot Wheels doctored the picture on the box to remove the hash marks from the rear wing, but left them in on the front of the car above the driver cell?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 08:01AM by Karan.
Date: November 08, 2006 08:45AM
This one arrived yesterday :) Managed to get a pretty good deal on an unopened one in brand-new condition

Date: November 08, 2006 11:33AM
nice!

i will do the R23 Alonso model yes, if i can get the correct decal set. i obviously need 1:43, but i can only find 1:18 and 1:24 at the moment.

for the 66:66, they should have edited Button out of the picture instead of the hash marks. and yes they should have left the hask marks, because it's NT, so it won't kill and children.

some more pics of the 66:

about the 52 wins, you've seen mine haven't you? I didn't like the position of the driver figure, so unscrewed it and placed it facing the other way, and secured it with blu-tack under his shoes:

this is quite nice, Alonso R25 1:18 with Mild Seven on a perspex base etched with results and circuit maps: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 11:45AM by Muks_C.
Date: November 08, 2006 04:06PM
Posted by: IWE
Hmm.. I said already year ago that I will post pics of my few model cars but.. Bettar late than never? :P

toy cars from McDonald's: (and 1 other toycar)

:)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 08, 2006 04:32PM
right, just applied the last decal and cropped and uploaded the pics i wanted to show you.

firstly, the car stripped of the Jarno Trulli 7 decals. I didn't need to use any acetone at all, just picked at the edges of the decals and they popped up easily, i then removed them with some tweezers and a lot of them came off complete. much easier than the trouble of removing the white paint on the ferrari models, i wish they would just apply a white decal on the engine cover, instead of putting paint on it.

some of the decals had to be cut while on the model so as not to remove decals that needed to stay, because many logos come attached as 1 big logo, such as the Renault, Elf, Jarno Trulli 7 and the dark blue line and the hole for lifting the car on the engine cover, it's 1 big decal, so i had to make careful cuts with a scalpel so when i pulled the Jarno bit, only it was removed (cuts shown by red line).

this also was the case on the top of the monocoque, the Jarno Trulli 7, the red Neutral N, the dark blue lines and the 7 and other logos are 1 big decal.

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

the decal set, it has extra bits so you can make it into Villeneuve's car by adding his helmet decals:

the old decals removed:

[img.photobucket.com]

the decals separated into sections of the car: (from back to front of car) rear wing, engine cover, sidepods, helmet band, monocoque top, front wing:

[img.photobucket.com]

applied front wing decals: [img.photobucket.com]

they're a little too large for the space they go in, there should be more blue around the logos so the decals needed to be smaller.

rear wing: [img.photobucket.com]

left engine cover: [img.photobucket.com]

right engine cover: [img.photobucket.com]

the engine cover decals came as the logo and words as one piece, but i separated the logo from the words because i didn't like their relative positioning, i felt from photos, the left edge of the logo should be almost in line with the left edge of the first letter, so positioned it like that.

left sidepod: [img.photobucket.com]

right sidepod and helmet band (hard to see clearly): [img.photobucket.com]

almost complete, just the monocoque to do, but i left that till today (did all the rest last night till about 1am) because i had to figure how to cut the decal to fit over that long aerial piece, so didn't want to rush it last night.

only now did i realise i was missing a black aerial from the model, you can see the hole for it just behind the long aerial thing (i think that's the pitot sensor). never noticed it was missing before.

so today i though i might be able to remove the long aerial thing, and i could, just used some tweezers and pulled it, it's only plastic and is glued into placed after the decals were applied, so you can see a bit of the word stuck under the aerial where it had been glued.

so i added the decal to the monocoque:

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

[img.photobucket.com]

i have still to re-attach the aerial thing, although it's a shame because it looks good like this. the aerial obscures some of the logo.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 04:38PM by Muks_C.
Date: November 08, 2006 06:59PM
nice conversion muks. so these decals you used are also water-adhesive? i.e. you just peeled them off the sheet, dipped them in water and then applied them onto the car? and once you apply them to the car, how hard/easy is it to get them to stay in place and not sliding around and then drying up in the wrong spot

Date: November 08, 2006 09:59PM
yes they were "waterslide" (i think that's the name they use). i used a scalpel (you can use scissors if you can cut accurately with them) to cut the whole decal sheet into the separate decals, then got some warm water from the tap in a little container. i used a small paintbrush to add a bit of water to the area on the car for the decal i was going to apply, then let the decal soak for around 25-30 seconds, long enough for it to move around on its backing card (i put my fingertip on it and try to move it, if it moves easily, it's ready to apply, if it doesn't move, then dip in the water again for a bit longer).

then i just hold the decal, still on its backing card, near the area it has to go, then push it off the card and onto the car, either with my fingertip or with the paintbrush. as long as you keep the area wet so it doesn't "fix", you can move it around for a long time, minutes if necessary, as long as it's still wet. so once i put the decal in place, it's usually sitting on top of a drop of water, so i use a small piece of tissue to suck away the excess water so the decal sits properly on the surface of the car. then i adjust it as much as i need, then when i'm happy with the position, i placed the tissue on top of the decal to suck water away (the decals are slightly porous). once you have sucked away the water, it's fixed, so you have to be sure with the position before removing all the water.

but you'll have plenty of time, so don't worry about it getting stuck in the wrong place.

i even applied the engine cover decal on one side, then wasn't happy with it (the S logo thing being wrongly placed relative to the words Mild Seven, as i said earlier), so i lifted one edge up with the paintbrush, slid it under, and removed it and put it back onto its backing card. then i cut the S logo apart from the Mild Seven words, then re-applied both and adjusted them how i wanted them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2006 10:13PM by Muks_C.
Date: November 09, 2006 01:34AM
Posted by: LS.
nice walkthrough mate :)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: November 09, 2006 06:29PM

i have decals ready to convert the Canadian GP F2002 150 Ferrari wins, and Canadian GP F2003-GA 999 points models, and also the 1:43 2-car F2004 Hungarian GP set.

might start one of them this weekend, starting by stripping the white paint from the engine cover.

Date: November 09, 2006 07:24PM
Posted by: danm
damn i want one of those alonso 19.99 offers and i think theyve stopped the offer now :( shite!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 09, 2006 07:48PM
unlucky Dan, but you can find them on ebay for a similar price, maybe only a few pounds more, as there will be those who have bought a few of them grom GPL, to sell. they'll still be less than the RRP of £100, so you should still get a bargain.

here's a few:

currently £19.99 with £6.50 p&p: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

another, £18.99 with £7.50 p&p: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

another currently £10.50 with £9.50 p&p: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

a Buy It Now for £16.50 + £10 p&p: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

or Buy It Now for £27.50 with FREE p&p (or make a Best Offer): [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

so as you can see, they're still available at good prices, just search for "Alonso Brazil" and you'll get these results.

so you could get the BIN one for total of £26.50, only £1.50 more than we paid from GPL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 07:48PM by Muks_C.
Date: November 10, 2006 12:19AM
Posted by: R0b3rt0_38
@Muks

this one u posted : [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

has a pretty bad sidepod :S

- - - - -
Roberto - CTDP

www.rob38designs.co.nr
Date: November 10, 2006 01:09AM
do you mean the alignment of the decal?

the S logo thing should be closer to the "corner" of the sidepod, and the words Mild Seven should be higher up and pointing more upwards/diagonal, is that what you mean?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2006 01:14AM by Muks_C.
Date: November 10, 2006 01:56AM
Posted by: R0b3rt0_38
yessss :) i meaned the position of those logos on the sidepod

- - - - -
Roberto - CTDP

www.rob38designs.co.nr
Date: November 10, 2006 02:02PM
yeah he obviously just stuck them where he thought they should go, instead of looking at a picture of the real car and trying to place the logo in the exact place.

EDIT: look at these pieces of crap: [cgi.ebay.co.uk]

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2006 03:07PM by Muks_C.
Date: November 10, 2006 04:14PM
what the heck is this? Schumacher meets Terminator T-1000?

[cgi.ebay.co.uk]

Date: November 10, 2006 06:12PM
Posted by: IWE
Well, that looks great. Weird idea from somebody. Been always like that? :)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: November 10, 2006 08:13PM
looks like a wannabe model of that chrome f2003ga from a couple years ago i think. although i pity the fool who bids on this particular one ;)

Date: November 10, 2006 08:33PM
Posted by: LS.
Karan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i pity the fool who bids on this particular one ;)

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy