Awesome cars

Posted by AveryGPFan 
Re: Awesome cars
Date: February 04, 2003 08:02AM
Posted by: rayg
Right,

I've got a P4 2.4 512mb Memory 64mb Nvidia graphics card but I only get 25fps! any one knnow how i can get more with out loseing pefromance???

Thanks!
Date: February 04, 2003 08:06AM
Posted by: Huddo
Yours isn't too far behind me, I would expect that you can get more. What 3D mark score do you get, mine is 13,400.

HUDDO
Date: February 04, 2003 08:15AM
Posted by: BYF
Rayq!! try turning things off like anistropic filtering and AA =antialiasing under display settings in control panel, these cripple PO. Also put environmental mapping to static instead of dynamic as that eats performance too and doesn't look right either.

Im using an athlon 2400xp 166fsb and a geforce 4 ti 4600 stock speed on an epox 8rda nforce 2 board with 512mb of ddr333. I get about 13,000 3dmarks too at stock settings.

What nvidia gfx card are u using rayq?
Date: February 04, 2003 08:20AM
Hi,

I've got (i think) Nvidia 440MX 64MB!

How do I find out what the 3dmarks are???

Thanks for your help by the way!
Date: February 04, 2003 08:52AM
Posted by: Huddo
Go to GOOGLE search engine and put in 3D MARK. Go to their site (Mad Onion I think!) and download 3D Mark 2001SE. Its a big file so I hope youre on Broadband!, if not try to find it on some cover disc.

Run it at 1024x768 in 32 bit mode with AA off. This will give you a score that we are reffering to.

HUDDO
Date: February 04, 2003 09:09AM
Posted by: andrew_S
you cant get more than 24fps, g4 is limited to that!
Date: February 04, 2003 09:09AM
Posted by: Ellis
lol andrew

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: February 04, 2003 02:12PM
Posted by: Spike02
"If I can remember correctly, only DC had the red t-cam... is it possible to have a different coloured t-cam for both drivers, or would that require far too much time and effort?"

i can make a different colour t-cam for kimi's car too, it doesn't exactly require 2 gigajoules of energy ;-)

@LarryM

I submitted the shape to gpgames.org ages ago and it still hasn't been released, even when other work has been published. I don't know if there's something wrong with my account or sumthin, but someone doesn't like me for some reason :(. I'm sure it'll be up soon though

Date: February 06, 2003 04:10AM
Posted by: AveryGPFan
Just to let you know i've replaced the f1graphics.cfg in the above url link.
This one is virtually the same as the last except there's less in the mirrors for cockpit and T-cam. Virtually nothing except v.low detail cars that appear around one car length and a half (enough to know what's going on behind)
Before I was using 35fps now using 44fps (rec60). PO around 80-100 at starts depending on weather and that's with most car LOD's being the first for all:D
Also setting the detail level to 1 instead of 0 lowered PO.
If your getting poor performance and have been using the same f1gstate for a while, it can get clogged up with conflicting information i'm sure. Try deleting it and starting a new one.

Oh, and the Saubers have been uploaded to GPGames.org so you can add a pair of C22's:)

Post Edited (02-06-03 11:36)

Date: February 06, 2003 07:51AM
Posted by: Syrius
BYF wrote:
>Anyone know why the gfx test in gp4 is so misleading? because if i set fps
>at what the test said i would have PO of 150 at start of race= slowdown.
>Ive always found that by setting the fps 10 fps lower than what the test
>says keeps the PO at 100-115 at start (bearing in mind that actually
>holding down the PO actually increases the PO by 15-25% what a joke!!)
>so its probably really at 85-100 PO.

GP4 runs the graphics test in t-cam view, while the cockpit view uses a bit more resources. Try this: as soon as the test starts, quickly hit <cursor right> to switch to cockpit and let the test run in this view, the suggested frame rate will be closer to what you actually need if you drive usually from the cockpit (particularly if you have different mirror settings for onboard cams/cockpit view).

If you play with different cams while running the test, you'll also notice that the top-front cam gives the lowest PO/highest framerate by a big difference (because there's no rendering of your car, mirrors, tyres, steering wheel etc), so it's worth giving it a try if you cannot get high enough framerates in the cockpit or t-cam views, it's a way to enjoy driving with higher detail settings for the track and other cars. The front cam gives a very good speed feeling too, I would use it more often if only it didn't require hitting 10 times the PgUp key to get to it, that's a shame ;)

Also, I have found that a good test to make sure that that GP4 is performing well is to use a chronometer to check against the lap times or any time display in the game. So after all your graphics tweaking, do this final test in a race with a full grid and wet weather, and if the the PO peaks too high, the in-game time display gets slower. On the other hand, when the program is running smoothly, its timers are accurate to the point that can be checked with a chrono in your hand (a couple of 1/10 s). If you find that the in-game chrono is, say, 2 secs late after a 5 min period, then you know that performance is not optimal. Or in other words, you may find that your fastest 1'14.657" or whatever lap actually took a few secs longer to drive! ;-( Bear in mind that, since the circuit length always remains the same, a longer driving time means less actual speed, no good when you want as close a simulation as possible.

* S y r i u s *
Date: February 10, 2003 04:25AM
WAD UPDATE :)

Credits:

Jaguar R3 2002 car-shape : schroeder
Toyota : Guyon Williams(I edited looks better)
Sauber C22 : Me:)

Helmet positions next. Does anyone know if it's possible to get external wheels specific for all cars or is there one wheel for all??
Wad ready in ten minutes!!

Post Edited (02-10-03 11:28)

Date: February 10, 2003 05:13AM
Posted by: fzappa

Is your excellent cars.wad ready for Download!!!!!
Date: February 10, 2003 05:20AM
where from???
Date: February 10, 2003 05:23AM
its the link near the top of this thread
Date: February 10, 2003 06:41AM
[www.richardavery.f2s.com] - same as above:)
And the helmets are right for Mclaren.

Post Edited (02-10-03 13:42)

Date: February 10, 2003 07:21AM
Thanks AveryGPFan, for the wads n stuff this is just what i needed excellent work, Just on question. If i wanted to edit your f1graphics.cfg so that i get a bit more detail in the mirrors what lines do i need to mess with?

Thanks in advance.

Neil
Date: February 10, 2003 07:53AM
[Mirrorview] and don't forget the LOD's they'll need increasing - -will have fairly big hit on fps though!!!
Date: February 10, 2003 08:12AM
Thanks
Date: February 10, 2003 04:43PM
I've sorted all the helmets using Raymond Smits helmets clear visor:) Same link.
Date: February 11, 2003 01:06AM
Posted by: mortal
Thanks again, appreciated ;-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy