GP4 Track Editing - new new thread

Posted by markko 
Re: GP4 Track Editing - new new thread
Date: February 23, 2013 10:19AM
Posted by: Lo2k
@PrBlanco : you're right afaik (BTW, we can use 65,536 objects but it's just to be picky :P)

Date: February 26, 2013 11:12PM
Posted by: TomMK
Me again. Is there a way for Fence Builder to create multiple objects, such as 1 object per 10 track sectors (like the Add Track from .DAT feature does)?

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 27, 2013 06:09PM
Yep, select your object and go into Edit Menu\Duplicate along track (the .dat must be loaded with the .gp4 of course)...

Date: February 28, 2013 12:05AM
I only have "Duplicate" which makes a a new object the same shape as the first one. Am I missing something? Sorry for the noob questions... :(

Date: February 28, 2013 07:12PM
If you loaded both .gp4 and .dat and you selected an object, then you maybe missed the latest 1.841 version then...

Date: February 28, 2013 10:39PM
:-o I am an idiot. I've been using the previous version until now.

Thanks Laurent. Apologies for being such a noob!

Date: February 28, 2013 11:09PM
OK, that's a nice feature, but not exactly what I'm trying to do. The fences don't follow the edge of the bank, they seem to stay a fixed distance from the centre.

I think I will just create Fences maybe 50 times, 20 sectors at a time (1000 sectors on this track).

Create fences 0 - 20
Create fences 21 - 40
Create fences 41 - 60
etc
etc

Date: March 01, 2013 02:39PM
Posted by: Soutsen
Hi there!
I have one problem:
Here you see mine screenshot of grandstands at the Jimbo's Canon Test Track:

And there is screenshot from one of a hasbie's video

As you can see, there is must be grandstands with yellow, red and green chairs or seats. But in mine gp4 this feature is invisible.

Here I explain the situation more clearly:
GP4Builder view:

Ingame view:

I was trying to move these grandstands to a new scene in gp4builder, or swapping or changing textures itself, or make in semi-fransperent or opaque. But i cant make it visible. I even thought, maybe problem is somethere in f1graphics, but either if I using Isaint's f1graphics or some others, grandstand seats are still invisible. :(
Help please!

Date: March 01, 2013 05:01PM
Posted by: Prblanco
There are a number of possible causes.

First, test in different kinds of sessions - if the grandstands appear in practice, but not in qualifying or in race, then it's related to the object's name. Is it a CROWD_ type object?

If it's missing in all sessions, try mirroring all of its faces using the "Invert Faces Creation" option.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2013 05:03PM by Prblanco.
Date: March 01, 2013 05:33PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Are you sure that the .tga-file and the .tex-file include the same texture?

tga-files are shown in the builder, but GP4 uses only the tex-files ;-).
Date: March 01, 2013 11:56PM
Posted by: Soutsen
Thank you, Paulo! It was definitely CROWD object. I swapped it to a NSTAND and... magic occured :-O

Date: March 02, 2013 04:44AM
GP4Builder doesn't seem to obey the "sectors to" field when using "Track from .dat" to build the Pitlane. It builds the whole pitlane regardless of what value to tell it to stop at. Anyone else get this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 04:56AM by TomMK.
Date: March 04, 2013 07:05PM
Yep, pitlane is always made as one single mesh...

Date: March 16, 2013 01:00AM
Gildoorf's new Melbourne track is just too good. I need to know how you achieve the following: the gravel trap shape does not follow the verge / bank line. It's just a shape on its own, but it follows exactly the .DAT "Z" coordinates (i.e. it sites perfectly on the .DAT even though it is a different shape). How do you do this?!?!?!

Date: March 16, 2013 03:13AM
Posted by: auscain
The .dat that is built to be used in game isn't necessarily the track database used to create different parts of the bank runoff area.

When you have completed the track.dat with the banking like the background photo you're working from, which may eventually be the final database to use, you can then edit that track.dat quite easily to enable you to build parts.

Probably the easiest way now is to create a new Scene and then build Track from .dat for the section of track that you adjusted. Then of course you have the option to save as. Or simply do not save track.dat on closing.

You will probably need to snap the parts together once you're done building them. Keep in mind if you snap the parts together, you may inadvertently change the height and that will cause a problem when the in-game car drives on the bank where the texture is slightly higher or lower than the trackdat. So just watch for that potential problem.

This is a simplified version of how-to however I think it answers your question to the point where you can do it yourself.
Date: March 16, 2013 09:05AM
@TomMK : Gildoorf is using AutoCAD to shape his tracks. So once he imported the whole verge/banks for this part of the track, he is able to cut in it the way he wants to create such shapes.
You can also do it in GP4Builder in a way a bit longer anyway of course, basicaly :
- make a copy of the verge/banks objects
- use local axis when moving points to create the exact shape you want. This way vertice will not leave the original verge/banks "plane".
- do the same to cover the second half (if you started with external side with gravels, do it again to cover the internal with grass)
- eventualy gather both halves in a same object to be able to snap vertices at your new edge
- apply textures. Done.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 09:07AM by Lo2k.
Date: March 16, 2013 09:39AM
Posted by: xandy
@lo2k
I use the method described by auscain too
and always thought it would be easier to get it right if we could define bank height not only in absolute term but also with degrees of elevation
if we have a 2% verge/bank elevation we could shorten the bank width in a dummy *.dat and still the resulting vertices would be on the same plane as the original bank object, wouldn't they?
I haven't tried the method with the local axis, but doesn't this method reduce the movement of vertices to one axis only?

and thanks for the Melbourne shadows ;)

@tomk
you always could do the subdividing of verges/banks with ZModeler (I don't do this because I'm wary of conversion issues)
Date: March 16, 2013 10:36AM
@Xandy: I see your point. In degrees but I see it :)
By the way, yes, using local axis reduce movement to one axis but it's ok to create things like the custom gravel shape shown above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 05:48PM by Lo2k.
Date: March 19, 2013 12:08AM
Posted by: salvasirignano
In my track, rather than making a horizon to draw far off mountains, I have tried to use a vertical 2d object and map the texture to it. Unfortunately though, I'm getting this annoying white line round the top left of the object, which you can see in the picture, and it is visible against the skydome behind it ingame. Does anyone know what's causing the problem? It happens with another object too.... :(

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2013 12:10AM by salvasirignano.
Date: March 19, 2013 09:45AM
Posted by: Duffer
For me it come from your texture. maybe reduce the size of the white on the alpha channel.

--------------------------------------------

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy