*****GP4 Track editing - The new thread*****

Posted by Forgotten-Boy 
Re: *****GP4 Track editing - The new thread*****
Date: July 22, 2005 11:59PM
Posted by: shutt1e

look at the image. the tex is generated by texresizer 2.2 and is a dxt1 no trasparency texture.

Date: July 23, 2005 12:21AM
Posted by: Paco
Laurent, about pit sectors limit you talked about in your mail, i don't think mine is out of range, it has 191 sectors, while the original one has 189, so it's almost the same, anyway, i could cut off 4 or 5 sectors, but as you might have read, Dave helped me and i got the track working (just the pitlane bin issue).

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 23, 2005 11:13AM
Posted by: <Maverick>
the strange thing is paco, i have no pitlane bin problem at all with your track :?

Date: July 23, 2005 12:51PM
Posted by: erwin_78
it's not a texture thing, it's the object. The verges and the fences are comming through the object. It seems some of the generated objects. Try recalculating...

how big are the fence & verge objects? I never generated them myself, maybe the are too big or some of the options are set wrong...
Laurend, dave any input on this one?
Date: July 23, 2005 01:03PM
erwin_78 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it's not a texture thing, it's the object. The
> verges and the fences are comming through the
> object. It seems some of the generated objects.
> Try recalculating...
>
> how big are the fence & verge objects? I never
> generated them myself, maybe the are too big or
> some of the options are set wrong...
> Laurend, dave any input on this one?

my suspects are also on verge and bank objects, they are made on one big piece as 3de export dat to 3ds make. i'll try to unificate all the verge objects in one then split it in parts if needed. in the original tracks there aren't verge,verge2 and bank objects but all the trackside is made only of one object.
Date: July 23, 2005 01:04PM
the fences and verges cover the entire track, so they are quite big. I've never had any real problems with them ingame actually, new objects were always a bust to get them showing ingame, but the generated ones always show up quite nice. But i've never had many new objects between my own verges and fences.
Have you ever had any problem with bahrain objects in terms of visibility erwin?

Date: July 23, 2005 01:05PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Paco: Yep, my bad, I thought limit I used was 150 but in fact it is 300 so it should no be the reason for your trouble.

@SHutt1e & Erwin: Hmm, yes. Maybe Texresizer does not convert dxt5 to dxt1 files properly, but anyway, fact that objects are track length is not the best for Z-buffer computations (That would be a reason to slice objects as you asked me, Shutt1e).
You can try to slice the banks just for the area around where bridge advert becomes invisible on your shot and see if it helps...

@Shutt1e: bridge shadow is not projected on the track banks, is that due to the .gp4 shadow object you copied or is this still a .col trouble ?

Date: July 23, 2005 01:29PM
Posted by: Ruboy
Thanks Maverick! I followed your instructions and now the game does not freeze any more after quitting:)

But I have another problem. I've been trying for one hour but I have not managed to solve it:(

I expected the textures to follow the physical track surface. The tarmac of my pit entrace and exit is under the grass texture of the track banks. I've lowerd the track banks so that normally they pitlane should not be beneath any more. But anyhow nothing changed. I have also tried on a track sector without pitlane by creating some kind of pothole but the textures haven't moved. I've also created new bins, cols, and gp4 files but it had no success:(

This is how it should be (texture is beneath the car and on bank):

My problem (texture is elevated):

What have I forgotten to do?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2005 01:31PM by Ruboy.
Date: July 23, 2005 01:33PM
Posted by: Paco
are you calculating track pittch, cc-cars pitch and direction? i don't know if that's the solution. also, make sure you generate a .col file :)

I'm against sigpics
Date: July 23, 2005 01:37PM
if you generate a new gp4 after editing the banks the textures should move with them, dont forget to delete the old ones out of the gp4.

Date: July 23, 2005 03:09PM
solved. all the tracksides must be sliced as the tarmac and in the TRACK class.

Date: July 23, 2005 08:13PM
Great...hmm, fences are still over the bridge display.
No, don't tell me I have to slice fences and rails too !?...

Date: July 23, 2005 08:20PM
well, better you than us :+

Date: July 23, 2005 09:25PM
In other words, I have to sacrifice myself for the track builders lazyness :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2005 09:26PM by Lo2k.
Date: July 23, 2005 09:35PM
Posted by: Zjokke
Lo2k Wrote:
> In other words, I have to sacrifice myself for the
> track builders lazyness
>
>
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07/23/05 09:26PM by
> Lo2k.

:) :) :) :) :)
Date: July 23, 2005 11:17PM
Posted by: Ruboy
<Maverick> Wrote:
> if you generate a new gp4 after editing the banks
> the textures should move with them, dont forget to
> delete the old ones out of the gp4.
>
>

Yep, I had mixed up the files. Everything is working fine now:)
cc-line also works - just did a 10-lap-race:)

But another problem has appeared which I have been trying to solve several times till now. When I add JipMapping in order to get split lines and pit lines onto the tarmac they never appear, neither on original tracks nor on my created testtrack. I've copied the correct values for the appropriate sectors and after that I've created the .bin-files. But I still haven't managed to get them visible:( What should I do?

Date: July 24, 2005 02:16AM
Posted by: erwin_78
> In other words, I have to sacrifice myself for the track builders lazyness
what else is new? :)
no just kidding... you just did it wrong the first time, so now you have to fix it ;)
Date: July 24, 2005 11:59AM
@Erwin: :)
So another one: If I did nothing, I couldn't did it wrong :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2005 12:01PM by Lo2k.
Date: July 24, 2005 09:35PM
Posted by: schaller
ARRRGH. I've spent hours moving these dran track segments around for the Turkey Track. I know someone else is working on it, but I'm impatient. :)

I tried to do this with the image in the backdrop and everything was going well, until I tried to run the new track. Dies immediatly. I've placed all flags, but have not worked the CC line yet. just wanted to make sure the track loaded. but it wont.
I wonder if one of you geniouses could look at my .dat file and see what I've done wrong?
[www.schallerf1.com]

Many thanks to you people making these mods. I check this forum every day for the latest in GP4. The track editing is frikking AWSOME fun.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Schaller

Date: July 24, 2005 09:59PM
pitlane sector 94 change the "new gp4 cmd" flag to the "pits end" flag (it changed after the tutorial was made, i do mention it, but i guess you overlooked it :) )

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy