Date: April 29, 2005 10:51AM
Posted by: <Maverick>
Duffer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have the same problem but only in TV Mode. When
> i'am in the car, i can see my new section, but
> when i try to see the new section in TV Mode, it
> is transparent.

Oeh, i had that once too, dont know if i fixed it then btw, there should be some logic in witch flags do what, but it's kinda hard to find out.

Re: *****GP4 Track editing*****
Date: April 30, 2005 11:52AM
Posted by: Lo2k
Sorry for the delay guys but I needed some time to answer all your questions/suggestions :)

First thanks for all the kind words once again :)

@Maverick: "low-poly" bin file is a known limitation because .gp4 file have high-poly track mesh but .dat file does not seem to mention how to subdivide and which sectors to subdivide.
That's why I provided .bin export from .dat or .gp4 (even if none works perfectly today).

@Shuttle:
- .dat track sector main properties (Position, Direction, pitch, track width) could be generated back to .dat eventualy in future, it's not that hard to do (maybe some troubles with other commands like banks...) but it's not really on my priority list for now.
- ZM import filter has been built around car .gp4 format which is a slight cut-down version of the track .gp4 format. So ZM is waiting to find 0 values for flag/unk values as they are for any car object and when it finds non-zero values like with track objects, it fails to load the object.
- Yes, these object properties are quite important for their in-game visibility even if their real effect is not well known so you should restore original values when reimporting this object from ZM.
When importing back an object and furthermore if you displaced or/and rotate this object, do not forget to hit the object window "update coords" button. These properties are really important for in-game visibility.

@Maverick and Shuttle:
Reimported back 3d file to .dat could easily update:
-Position command
-Direction command
-left and right width (both equal anyway)
-verges and banks shape when they could be exported to .3ds too first
-ccpitch and ccdir as they are dependant to known sector position/direction
-wall height which is always 1m ;)
-other commands like kerbs settings and other could be let as is
All of this needs only to respect one condition : to not add or remove any sector in ZM else how will 3deditor knows which are new sectors and what old commands belong to what old sectors...

- Yep, trackxx (with xx replace by a serial number) objects from .gp4 files are not displayed in game by default because .bin file is used for track tarmac ingame display.
To make any of these objects visible, simply add a CLASS markup before it as TRACK_ or NLAND_ (ie: TRACK_Track12 instead of Track12).

@Erwin: Hmm, surely ;)

@Duffer and Maverick: check my last answer to Shuttle : using the update coords button is often sorting such trouble.

Date: April 30, 2005 12:18PM
Lo2k Wrote:
> @Maverick: "low-poly" bin file is a known
> limitation because .gp4 file have high-poly track
> mesh but .dat file does not seem to mention how to
> subdivide and which sectors to subdivide.
> That's why I provided .bin export from .dat or
> .gp4 (even if none works perfectly today).

Hm i see, but when using dat -> gp4 as you are trying to do now you will also have a "low polly" gp4.... is it not possible to do the subdivision yourself? just guess what it should be? I doubt any difference will ever be noticed, and when it does, you can maybe adjust your method.

> @Maverick and Shuttle:
> Reimported back 3d file to .dat could easily
> update:
> -lots of stuff

Possible true, but practical?

btw, you seem to metion wall height always being 1 meter, is this really true? It could be altered isn't it? Maybe and idea for display in 3deditor, render walls :) (and exporting to 3ds as with track (and future banks).

Date: April 30, 2005 02:58PM
Posted by: Xero
Hm i see, but when using dat -> gp4 as you are trying to do now you will also have a "low polly" gp4.... is it not possible to do the subdivision yourself? just guess what it should be? I doubt any difference will ever be noticed, and when it does, you can maybe adjust your method.

You're right Dave, it would be possible to sub divide the sectors into smaller parts (not sure if Z-Mod does this well, but LightWave would only take a few button presses!). With this you know every 2nd or 3rd sector will match the .dat exactly, so it's just a case of smoothing out the "in-between" sectors if needed.
Date: April 30, 2005 09:47PM
Matter is not if 3DEditor can subdivide sectors: it could be done quite easily but how to match original subdivision method.
OK, you will reply new tracks can use any method to subdivide, as long as it's smooth...well, I will make tries.

Yep, rails are always 1m high and yes you can anyhow change this height and you already criticized because you can't see what's .dat and what's .gp4 mesh so adding rail display would be even more confusing for nothing because I'm pretty sure whatever the rail height, it won't change anything in game as banks width and fence gate sector properties are the only one used to bound track area.
But yes, of course I will handle rails when exporting .dat to .3ds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2005 12:19PM by Lo2k.
Date: May 01, 2005 03:50AM
Lo2k Wrote:
> Matter is not if 3DEditor can subdivide sectors:
> it could be done quite easily but how to match
> original subdivision method.
> OK, you will reply new tracks can use any method
> to subdivide, as long as it's smooth...well, I
> will make tries.

Well yes, as it may not fit 100% to the smoothing gp4 uses, but i doubt it'll ever be a noticeable difference. (correct me if i'm wrong though)

> Yep, rails are always 1m high and yes you can
> anyhow change this height and you already
> writicize because you can't se what's .dat and
> what's .gp4 mesh so adding rail display would be
> even more confusing for nothing because I'm pretty
> sure whatever the rail height, it won't change
> anything in game as banks width and fence gate
> sector properties are the only one used to bound
> track area.
> But yes, of course I will handle rails when
> exporting .dat to .3ds.

hm, always 1, high.... no need for displaying them then, my bad :)

Date: May 01, 2005 11:39AM
Well yes, as it may not fit 100% to the smoothing gp4 uses, but i doubt it'll ever be a noticeable difference

Yep, well your guarenteed that every 2nd or 3rd sector will be accurate. If you smooth out the middle one/two there's not really anywhere you could go drastically wrong, especially nothing you'd notice.
Date: May 03, 2005 05:53PM
Posted by: Webber Fan
Hey Xero how´s your Barcelona track going?

[webberfanscreens.blogspot.com]
Date: May 05, 2005 12:31AM
Lazy feature in action ;)

How does it work ?
1-open your new .dat in 3DEd and hit the export .dat to .3ds line
2-open the .3ds file in ZM and export to .gp4
3-open your track in 3DEd and import the .gp4 objects
4-fix all the ZM bugs (my favorite ;)): green tint, bad normal directions, change material and textures
5-save the track(very important), wadupdate it and try in game your new layout :)

Enjoy :)

PS: Don't look for above features in 12.3 version, they will only be available in next version :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2005 01:31AM by Lo2k.
Date: May 05, 2005 01:21AM
Posted by: erwin_78
mind the tv cranes and the skyscrapers ;)

I'll try to fix that opengl thing tomorrow and see what i can do.
Date: May 05, 2005 01:45AM
Posted by: vesuvius
WOW looks great , amazing work Laurent :)
Date: May 05, 2005 02:03AM
Lovely stuff! :) Only one thing left to go and we're sorted. ;)
Date: May 05, 2005 09:35AM
Posted by: Max Downforce
I admire everyone involved in trackeditting, taking this game to higher grounds. Excellent work gents!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appartement en minicamping te huur in de Ardennen
www.Ardennengevoel.com
Date: May 05, 2005 11:55AM
oeh lo2k, that track looks very nice :+

Date: May 05, 2005 01:36PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Hopefully this new version will be out soon :)
Date: May 05, 2005 06:33PM
Posted by: Slash
That thing looks amazing!, how you guys do that.., top quality!!

cheers!
Date: May 06, 2005 12:31AM
Posted by: Buzz Hornet
Great progress, you guys rock
Date: May 07, 2005 04:53AM
Posted by: BenAD
While I know your probably enjoying the challenge with GP4, I think If i ever work on an F1 game I will make sure to make your job alot easier!! Fantastic work as ever though guys!
Date: May 07, 2005 12:08PM
Thanks BenAD, I got a quick sight on your project (but I will come abck to have a deeper read soon) and I hope you the best too.
Do not hesitate to mail me if you need some special thing for your project that could be derivate from GP4 files :)

Date: May 07, 2005 12:58PM
Posted by: BenAD
Oh wow you did? And here I was thinking that I was keeping it semi low key lol. Thanks for the offer of help, hopefully one day in the future I can repay everyone but making a new F1 game for you all ;) (not by myself of course)
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy