I am giving up on GP4

Posted by LarryM 
Re: I am giving up on GP4
Date: May 14, 2003 10:39AM
Posted by: b-tone
dont you have to run the gamebefore upgrading?

____
Tony

Date: May 14, 2003 12:07PM
Posted by: Mick
korn freak why am i bugging you? i dont mean to mate, anyway cant stop long need to nip out for a p4 3ghz, see ya later

Mick
Date: May 14, 2003 12:39PM
Posted by: LarryM
NO didn't work. The clean install etc. I noticed that among my sound drivers there is also "legacy sound". Wot's that fo? Could it be confusing matters? I have disabled on-board audio in Bios, but still. I also moved the sound card to an adjacent slot. No difference.

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: May 14, 2003 02:09PM
Posted by: jordanrudess
Hi there!

I think, there's no solution for this entire problem - which is an/the optimal spec.

It's simple luck.

Look at this:

850 AMD ATHLON TB
128MB SDRAM !!!!
GeForce 2 mx400 64MB SDRAM

Of courese under win98.

GP4 - everything possible on max, no mirrors(just cars) and 35fps!!! And doesn't go the po above 90-105 at start!!!

Under XP, same spec everything min (the ugliest you can imagine - there was no track, just the tarmac!!! and distance was about 10-15meter) struggling with 10-15 fps.

I think this engine is FAR SUPERIOR than the others, and it's a major improvement, but IT IS NOT OPTIMIZED AND NOT READY!!!
HEY! With same spec but with a rivatnt2 32mb GP3 was about 10% less po. And on 25fps, not 30-35!!!

IT'S A RAZY WORLD, BUT I THINK IT'S A LLAAZZYY CRAMMOND.

With his talent this game could be lightyears from it's current state.

Only imagine, what would happen, if Crammond and Co. would write a READY AND OPTIMIZED gp5 for the present computers (above 2.4GHz and 512/1024MB DDR and GeforceFX) what blockbuster it could be!!!

And imagine what if he doesn't write gp5, but fixes all the problems and makes the crowd live, makes the pitbox live, and all people around the track, and of course the missing rules, SC. With this GP4 engine it could run SMOOTH with a 2.2GHz and 512/1024 DDR and a good gfxcard.

So, not to be OFF, I think it just luck. And I say, GP4 is far better under 98 than XP.

Thanks,

Hi
Date: May 14, 2003 02:18PM
Posted by: marcl
did u check your bios to see what speed your cpu is running at?

There are also big probs with radeon graphics cards and the new VIA chipsets. thats why i had to get a gforce card if u look at the viaarena web site u will see what i mean so many people are moaning about it. i got better perforamce with an old gforce2 than my radeon 8500le.

U must check to see what speed your cpu is running at when i upgaraded my mother board it was set to 100 not 133, as soon as i changed it i gained 20 fps
Date: May 14, 2003 02:36PM
Its running at 2000 mhz, CPU/ Freq = 133/33
Seems alright.
Besides other games rock with the set up. Story of my life: "Raiders of the lost Frames". I can know run in practice with my 2003 version at 34-35 fps. A race will drop me down to below 25 at the beginning. Feels a bit sluggish in general as well. sigh! :(

Larry
AMD 3000+,Epox EP-8RDA,Ram 1536mb 333 DDr, Rad 9800 pro omega 2.4.96, dx9b, Audigy, MOMO FF,winxp
Date: May 14, 2003 02:43PM
Posted by: shmall
I am running a P4 2.8 @3.0hz
ATI9700pro (CAT-3.2)
Dual Channel Mobo
512MB DDR400 Cas2.0
DirectX 9.0a
And WinXP (SP1)

I can get upto 45fps, but drop it too 36fps (because I see no difference) with everything at max, plus longer draw distance than norm, full mirrors, infact full everything except heat Haze (hate the look).

I use FSAA set at Aplication and Anisotropic filtering set to x16 performance.

The PO with just one car on track (wet or dry) is around 20-35 and with full field in wet 65-9, never goes above 100% :)

Infact I would go as far as saying that WinXP rocks more than my old WinME......

I have totally changed the f1grahics.cfg and never allow the game the change it.

Looks awesome and run great.

If you want to try my f1graphics.cfg file LarryM let me know.

Simon.

Post Edited (05-14-03 21:46)
Date: May 14, 2003 03:24PM
Posted by: JackieStewart
i think this is a winxp issue with gp4. I've a similar rig (pre upgrade) and tried most os b4 settling on win98se. winxp lost frames for me and I didn't change anything else when I was going through the OS's. It's a long road back my friend. I bet your file system isn't FAT32 anymore either. I had to put my rig into a local computer shop 'cos it was just too much of a hassle to get rid of XP on my own.
XP I'm sure lots of user will tell you is great but for me (and possible you by the look of things) is a pile of ****.
Remember, just 'cos something is "the new kid on the block" doesn't mean it's any better than before.

....................I quite like this now.
Date: May 14, 2003 04:36PM
Posted by: shmall
JackieStewart wrote:

> i I had to put my
> rig into a local computer shop 'cos it was just too much of a
> hassle to get rid of XP on my own.

As you can see my above post WinXP rock's with GP4 for me, but it does take a bit of setting XP up to run games great.. :)

If you don't like XP all you got to do is reformat the drive to get rid and re install Win98 (a down grade imho), it ain't hard :)

Simon.
Date: May 14, 2003 05:28PM
Posted by: ZaZ
You can convert the filesytem from ntfs to fat32 also, its possible without formatting.
I have a dual boot system with win2000 and win98 (i don't like xp at all because of the looks and it does too many things without asking)
The performance in games in winxp and win2000 is pretty much the same (based on my own experience)
But with games, i get more out of windows98, although i wouldn't use it as main OS because it is not as stable for common use.
I'm not saying these are facts.. Everyone has to decide that for themselves.
just my 2 cents
Date: May 14, 2003 09:25PM
Thanks Simon,
you give me hope. Can you send me your F1graphics file:
larry.murray@kolumbus.fi

Larry
Date: May 14, 2003 11:53PM
Posted by: ferrariace
Just remembered this,since you have Xp and have probably installed the updates you can try uninstalling this one 811493 security update.On some computers it slows down the computer.
Date: May 15, 2003 05:56AM
Posted by: EJ-14
Something similar was mentioned before, but this was for intermittent pauses. You never know, it may help.

[grandprix3.com]

Simon would you mind sending me the config too? Even better, you could send it in to grandprixgames.org and then we can all d/l it. :)

moe_diddly@hotmail.com

Cheers,

EJ-14
Date: May 15, 2003 01:31PM
Hi Ferrariace,
how do I uninstall the uodate? In fact, how do I find it?

Larry
Date: May 15, 2003 04:04PM
Goto add/remove in the control panel and look for windows xp hotfix sp2 811493.If you have it installed it should be there.Hopefully that is the problem.Also like EJ-14 said there is also a fix for pauses or whatever it ixed in XP.You might be able to get it from here [www.iebeta.net] but I don't know if the link still works or not.
Date: May 15, 2003 09:46PM
No sign of that file. I also did a search of hard disk.

Larry
Date: May 16, 2003 12:13AM
I guess you didn't get that update from windows update then.There are new ati drivers out by the way.Just to show how strange Gp4 is I was getting 14fps totally disabled hardware acceleration for the sound and recalibrated the graphics and the fps is 38.Tried a quick race at Spa in monsoon conditions and the po was 200+ at the start and 150+ during the race.Deleted the graphics files and the F1gstate files recalibrated again and now the fps is 18 with everything on high everything in the main view and nothing in the mirrors.Changed to manual put everything on med except pitcrews which is on low changed the main view to trackside objects added trackside objects to the mirrors and now get 20.A little more tweaking and I might be able to get to 25.
Date: May 16, 2003 01:19AM
Message to Simon- I'm in work now. Thanks for the f1graphics file, I sent you an e-mail. BUT:
strange strange things. Your file had haze off , bumpmap off and probably some other tweaks. The 3d rims didn't turn in replays for example. My fps in a race start in Brazil was 13 :-o and hardly rose to 20 during lap 1. When I deleted your file and reinstated my own (including all the goodies on high and bump mapping, haze etc), I got 23-25 fps at race start it went down to 20 or so at the first corner but. This is not satisfactory either, but I don't understand how your tweaked file can run dramatically slower than mine.
Hell, this game drives me nuts hot

BTW I am going to investigate the sound card issue. Rally Trophy runs fine on my pc, but ii makes no difference to fps whether I have 1600x1200 32bit, af, triple bump mapping or 1280x1024 16bit textures on med, no af, etc.

Larry
Date: May 16, 2003 06:04AM
Posted by: Boomy
Uh..

Same here,even worst,

After changing the cars.wad with a 2003 one, I experience sometimes 2 or 3 fps even if my PO is around 80%. Unbelievable,simply crap.

Usually my fps stays on 25.

Boomer
Date: May 16, 2003 06:04AM
Posted by: marcl
it all depends on hardware. If some one has a different graphics card or CPU their file may even make yours run slower.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy