Pet hates!

Posted by rapid_f1 
Re: Pet hates!
Date: February 08, 2012 01:16PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Isaint Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jim, you could be my twin in another life.
> Everything you have said right down to the
> football.
> I know that there are some pretty informed people
> on this site and I would be the first to say that
> I have not got half as much knowlege on the sport
> but I have loved it for a long time.
> The one I always get is ...... ' Oh formula 1. All
> they do is go round and round in a circle.
'
> Eh ... hem. I told you my knowlege is not that
> great but guys please enlighten me. Is there an
> oval circuit on the F1 calender? Lol.

You have taken the exact words out of my mouth! I often get told "F1 isn't a sport" or "F1 is boring" for the exact reason you put there. I tend to not bother explaining as it would take too much effort.
I can also understand the part about people who pretend they know a lot about F1. I mean i'm no expert at all, but atleast i don't pretend to know everything there is to know!

My personal one would be people who are obssessed with certain drivers, or as jim said, english drivers. Yes Button is good, that doesn't mean he's going to win every race and it doesnt mean that all the other drivers are rubbish. I mean, im a fan of Raikkonen, but i still respect that the other guys on the grid are good drivers.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 01:36PM by truecrysis.
Date: February 08, 2012 01:32PM
Posted by: Slash
i can't believe that happens in the UK too, out of all the countries one would think the UK has the best consensus about F1.. i guess it's a global thing.. lol
Date: February 08, 2012 01:49PM
Posted by: danm
What about people doing the token impression when they say 'all they do is go round and round'...

'....neeee-yowwwww----nnnnn-gggggg....'

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 08, 2012 02:17PM
Posted by: Slash
what about the uncle who just came to say hi and caughts you watching "the race", he sits for a while, and you're wondering, "is he really staying?, is he really watching it?, does he understand what's going on?".... and then he drops the magic words.. "why can't he pass the other car?"
Date: February 08, 2012 02:21PM
Posted by: danm
'....so..whose winning? where's 'shoe-marker'?'

or when they call Rubens 'Barry-ch-ello'...

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 02:21PM by danm.
Date: February 08, 2012 02:50PM
Posted by: J i m
Slash Wrote:
> i can't believe that happens in the UK too, out of
> all the countries one would think the UK has the
> best consensus about F1.. i guess it's a global
> thing.. lol

Oh no :P We have the casual element, the pop element, the chav element, the professional interest element and finally the cult element.

It's the cult following who take an interest in history and technical aspects of the sport for what it is, but the majority of the interest from the other elements is a xfactor/big-brother celeb culture kind of style. Really quite tacky in my view :)

The professional element of-course comes from people who actually work in the industry or related industry and have some actual insight.

I would put us lot in the cult following, we may not nessacerily have inside knowledge nor professional insight, but our interest propels us to learn about the sport instead of treating it simply as "OMFZ RACING CARSZ!!!"

Date: February 08, 2012 06:34PM
Posted by: loren
For me, it has to be all the fake stuff: DRS, KERS, having to use both tire compounds, parc ferme after qualifying, etc etc.

The same rules should apply to everyone at all times. That should be the basic premise for the rules of any sport. And it hasn't applied in F1 since 2002.

Honestly, I hate the current cars with their ridiculous proportions, but really the sporting regs are a much bigger problem for me right now. And really, is F1 better than it was 10 years ago? I'd say no.
Date: February 08, 2012 06:48PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I ended up watching the Malaysian race last year round a mate's house as I crashed there after a night out. The camera pans to Schumacher and my mate turns round and says 'I thought Schumacher retired?'

Cue facepalm...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 08, 2012 10:58PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
1. The rediculous points system. much more rewarding when it was 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1
2. The Boring Tilke Tracks
3. The fact that all the european races are being removed one by one for point 2.
4. ugly cars
5. getting a penalty for minor collisions and defensive driving.
6. Kers & DRS. (you want real racing? use the pirelli's and widen suspension aka early 90s designed F1 cars)
7. The fact that we won't probably see or hear the roar of V10's again.
8. No Sky Sports F1
9. continuation of banning parts which epitomise F1 as the most technically advanced racing formula

here are my ideas. I bet loads of people agree with the majority of these points.
Date: February 08, 2012 11:28PM
Posted by: IWE
7 and 8 doesn't make any difference for me but about the rest I agree 100%.

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: February 09, 2012 10:46AM
Posted by: Adman1138
I think most of my pet hates have been covered, except one.

Whenever celebrities appear during F1 coverage, its most annoying on a gridwalk when they find some random celebrity and ask them for an opinion, this is often followed by the line "well, this is my first time watching, I'm here as a guest of a team."

If you don't know what you're talking about then I don't want to hear what you have to say, can you imagine if before the World Cup final they trotted out Katie Price and asked her for an opinion on the upcoming match.

In fairness BBC have been better at avoiding this than ITV were, apart from the 10 awful minutes of uninterrupted coverage of Rhianna looking at a McLaren. Rowan Atkinson gets a pass as he at least seems to be a fan.
Date: February 09, 2012 11:15AM
Rowan Atkinson is also an amateur racing driver so he at least has some kind of motor-sport insight. And of course he's genuinely funny.

Date: February 09, 2012 04:04PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
To be fair though, that Rihanna coverage was done by the F1 TV people themselves, not the BBC.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 09, 2012 04:08PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
It annoys me when fans on the internet use the full team name (including sponsors) when discussing F1! :)
Date: February 09, 2012 04:15PM
Posted by: IWE
salvasirignano Wrote:
> It annoys me when fans on the internet use the
> full team name (including sponsors) when
> discussing F1! :)

Didn't annoy me before Lotus-Lada-Genii-Renault being called "Lotus Renault" by some people during last year but now I have to agree. ;)

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: February 09, 2012 07:25PM
Posted by: chet
I wouldn't say a pet hate but until I started watching live-timing I had no idea how the race unfolded for anyone!

I get very, very annoyed if I cant watch without live timing now, I need constant updates of laps and gaps for all the drivers and I get annoyed when the coverage doesn't show this. Personally I think the tv coverage should include a real-time gap bar that is always on display.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 09, 2012 11:26PM
Posted by: Muks_C
Rowan Atkinson is also good friends with Adrian Newey, which is how he might have originally got connected with McLaren while Newey was there.

i like when i watch a race with live timing, if i spot something before Brundle spots it and comments on it, like someone closing a gap on the driver ahead. or if i explain to a friend i'm watching the race with a strategy decision, and then literally seconds later the commentators say the exact thing i just said. immense feeling of smugness in those moments :)

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 09, 2012 11:35PM
Yeah it's satisfying when you read & call what's happening correctly ahead of the commentary.

Date: February 10, 2012 01:06AM
Posted by: chet
At uni my friends used to laugh at me when that happened when watching Nascar in my room.

And it's always an ego boost when you beat Brundle :D! Though in his older age he's tended to get abit error prone :p!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 10, 2012 07:50AM
Posted by: gav
To be fair, he is having to commentate as well as work out what's happening. ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy