Pet hates!

Posted by rapid_f1 
Re: Pet hates!
Date: February 10, 2012 11:12PM
Posted by: EC83
I've never noticed Brundle getting any more error-prone than he ever was TBH. As far as I've known he's always been pretty on it. Definitely I don't think age comes into it - he's no Murray yet.

Yeah, there's definitely a buzz you get from correctly guessing what the commentators will say before they say it. It was quite easy back when Murray and James Hunt were commentating, since both of them were pretty good at missing things, to the point where it was really annoying sometimes. It was easy when Jonathan Palmer was alongside Murray too, for more or less the same reason. It got a lot harder when Brundle started commentating, but you still acclimatized to that. There was one time in the mid-2000s when I used to watch almost every GP with some mates who were also hardcore F1 fans, and I was consistently noticing/saying stuff before Martin said it. In the opening laps of the 2007 Australian GP, for example, when Massa was pulling out of the slipstream of slower cars to get cool air to his radiators, my mate's GF asked why he wasn't driving on the racing line. I explained; about 30 seconds later Brundle explained. She nearly fell off her seat.

Date: February 15, 2012 03:02PM
Posted by: danm
bet she was as wet as an otter!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 15, 2012 03:39PM
Posted by: marcl
EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never noticed Brundle getting any more
> error-prone than he ever was TBH. As far as I've
> known he's always been pretty on it. Definitely I
> don't think age comes into it - he's no Murray
> yet.
>
> Yeah, there's definitely a buzz you get from
> correctly guessing what the commentators will say
> before they say it. It was quite easy back when
> Murray and James Hunt were commentating, since
> both of them were pretty good at missing things,
> to the point where it was really annoying
> sometimes. It was easy when Jonathan Palmer was
> alongside Murray too, for more or less the same
> reason. It got a lot harder when Brundle started
> commentating, but you still acclimatized to that.
> There was one time in the mid-2000s when I used to
> watch almost every GP with some mates who were
> also hardcore F1 fans, and I was consistently
> noticing/saying stuff before Martin said it. In
> the opening laps of the 2007 Australian GP, for
> example, when Massa was pulling out of the
> slipstream of slower cars to get cool air to his
> radiators, my mate's GF asked why he wasn't
> driving on the racing line. I explained; about 30
> seconds later Brundle explained. She nearly fell
> off her seat.

Tbh I was seeing stuff last year that DC and Martin had to wait for a replay before they even notice it. Seeing that they see the same feed as us I do find that they miss a bit to much. But there is so much other stuff going on and sometimes I dont know if they are actually watching the TV the whole time.
Date: February 15, 2012 04:02PM
Posted by: chet
danm Wrote:
> bet she was as wet as an otter!

And now they're happily married.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 15, 2012 05:29PM
Posted by: senninho
I'm glad it's not just me that gets a buzz out of Brundle-beating ;)

Date: February 15, 2012 09:59PM
Posted by: Muks_C
danm Wrote:
> bet she was as wet as an otter!

the correct phrase you were looking for is "wet as an otter's pocket" ;)

they have people talking to them in their headphones and people handing them bits of paper with facts and figures/info throughout the race, so there's a lot distracting them. we're usually 100% concentrated on the race with probably not much else going on in the room, and likely to be watching a bigger tv than they have at some venues they go to.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 15, 2012 10:22PM
Posted by: chet
I watched a race recently (was it grand-am???) where the commentary team did not even have windows in the box! Maybe it was Dubai 24hours? It was a recent event as far as I remember, but I was pretty shocked at that =/!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 16, 2012 08:41PM
Posted by: Muks_C
that happened in India for the F1 didn't it? i remember Martin saying he had no windows and wasn't anywhere near the track and that it must change for next year or he'd be annoyed.

RIP Jules, never to be forgotten. #KeepFightingMichael
Date: February 16, 2012 09:01PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Yeh it did, i remember them talking about it in the free practises, how they couldnt actually see anything. By the sounds of it they sometimes have quite small screens as well as lots of other stuff going on, but that doesn't stop the smug feeling when you spot something or say something before they do ;)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: February 22, 2012 02:55PM
you thought james allen was bad...

:|

&feature=related

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 02:55PM by danm.
Date: February 22, 2012 04:06PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Hehe, that's the season review VHS. But it'd be funny if they did live commentary in that matter-of-fact style :P

Anyone remember the season review video where Jonathan Ross did the commentary?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: February 22, 2012 04:21PM
Is that the one from 1992/3? I have it on VHS also. Shocking.

Date: February 22, 2012 04:31PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Yep, it was 1993, just found a vid of it! "Ayrton stwuggling for gwip" ;)

&feature=player_embedded

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: February 22, 2012 10:58PM
I never got that VHS but I did see that season review on YouTube. On the British GP bit of it he says "Pwost doesn't normally like the wain". I LOLed first time I heard it.

Date: February 23, 2012 12:04AM
Posted by: J i m
The phrase "spun wildly" was used quite often in the Jonathon Woss review as well. The Clive James reviews were funny though.

Date: February 23, 2012 06:43PM
The Clive James ones were easily the funniest. The most annoying one was the 1983 review - the constant interruptions by Barbara Rosenblat... Dear God.
The 1987 one(Peter Ustinov with Simon Taylor doing race commentary) was arguably the most boring.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2012 06:45PM by EC83.
Date: February 29, 2012 10:24PM
Regarding the original thread topic, my pet hates are:

1. The continuous trend towards dumbing the sport down. Boring/crappy circuits, homologated engines and car parts, etc. It stinks, and I detest it. The only good thing that's come out of it is that the sport is safer now, but I'm pretty sure that the current safety level could be maintained while re-introducing some more genuinely challenging tracks(Like Hockenheim as it was pre-1982, for example) and relaxing the "cost-cutting" measures of the last 10 years that have led to every car looking and sounding the same.

2. Lewis Hamilton. Every time you think he might have turned the corner, he says or does something so stupid you immediately want to bang your head off of the nearest wall. This year I'm hoping he'll somehow get himself sorted out, but I was hoping the same thing a year ago, and I got proved epically wrong...

3. Felipe Massa, for the same reasons already said. Unlike some others I don't think his Hungary 2009 accident has had any bad effect on him as a person or a driver, in fact I actually think he's been an improved driver since it if anything. Certainly he's far more consistent and makes far less stupid rookie mistakes. What's shown Massa up has been the arrival of Alonso as his teammate. Alonso's presence in the team has clearly eroded Massa's confidence, and in particular Germany 2010 was a huge psychological blow to him which has left a lasting effect. But this has just gone to show that Massa was only ever a #2 Ferrari driver at best, and I'm pretty sure 2012 will be his last season with them.

4. Romain Grosjean. A smug little douche who thinks he's far better than he ever will be. After his 2009 season I think he's a complete waste of a seat in any car better than HRT or Marussia. I'm hoping he thoroughly disappoints and gets dropped before the end of the season.

There'll be others too, but these are my main ones for now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 10:25PM by EC83.
Date: March 01, 2012 04:46PM
Posted by: senninho
The 1996 review is easily the most boring - for some reason, it was deemed necessary to give the times for pretty much *every* pit stop >_<

Date: March 01, 2012 06:00PM
Posted by: Slash
EC83 I cmopletley agree with you're 4th point

about Massa i was too very dissapointed with his last two seasons, he's just not there, we all know he's fast but it seems he doesn't have that mental strenght to fight his teammate and anyone around, he drove great in 2008 but after loosing that championship he seemed to have been affected by it, the fact that he got upset with Alonso when the whole singapore thing blew up and he blamed him directly for loosing that championship says it all, really.
Date: March 01, 2012 08:38PM
Posted by: matt3454
I can't really see how you can judge Grosjean from his half a season with Renault. He was thrust into a car mid season against the best driver in F1 at the time. To just get close to Alonso is an achievment, just look at Badoer and Fisichella in the Ferrari in the same season, they were equally awful, Fisichella had been driving consistently for best part of 15 years in F1 before jumping in that Ferrari so he should know how to adapt.

In the Italian GP qualifying that year Grosjean qualified less than 0.3s slower than Alonso, Fisi qualified just under half a second slower than Raikkonen, both dropped out in Q2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy