Pet hates!

Posted by rapid_f1 
Re: Pet hates!
Date: March 02, 2012 01:47AM
Posted by: EC83
You'll see where my judgement of Grosjean has come from when he forgets to brake for Turn 1 at Melbourne and takes another 6 cars out with him.

Date: March 02, 2012 04:01PM
Posted by: danm
Have to partly agree, Grosjean is one arrogant little frog.

But I do think we are about to see some fresh talent. The guy is good!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 02, 2012 07:19PM
Posted by: gav
Valencia (the GP track rather than the testing circuit). Though maybe not for much longer. :D

It's the countless and pointless twists which serve no purpose whatsoever, other than making the track lethal the moment a bit of rain falls. Without looking at a map, could anyone count the number of corners Valencia has? After the first 5 corners (one of which is, naturally, flat out) I'm lost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 07:22PM by gav.
Date: March 02, 2012 07:55PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Valencia (the GP track rather than the testing
> circuit). Though maybe not for much longer. :D
>
> It's the countless and pointless twists which
> serve no purpose whatsoever, other than making the
> track lethal the moment a bit of rain falls.
> Without looking at a map, could anyone count the
> number of corners Valencia has? After the first 5
> corners (one of which is, naturally, flat out) I'm
> lost.

Umm...twelvety corners?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 02, 2012 10:30PM
25 "corners", I think. Some of which, as said already, are just pointless racing line deviations. Or steering wheel tremors.

I still prefer it to Barcelona though. Which reminds me - Barcelona is another pet hate of mine! How the hell is its place on the calendar so secure?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 10:38PM by EC83.
Date: March 02, 2012 11:10PM
Though it provides generally boring races, Barcelona at least looks fun to drive.

Other than the final 2 corners, Valencia has no redeeming features whatsoever.
Date: March 03, 2012 12:53AM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
they destroyed barcelona as a race track in 2007. the last 2 corners were epic. together with turn nr. 3 they used to provide the greates combi9nation of fast corners other than spa and monza i'd guess. a real shame because the track itself is very challenging (sorry used to be), and with those micky mouse chicanes in the last sector now it is just pointless as mentioned, "deviations of the straight line".

actually i watched Imola 1997 the other day and what imrpessed me was, that even so far back in the past of F1, villeneuve made a point of the tracks becoming too safe. Unfortunatelly he turned out right. it ruined IMola (the pre 1995 version), Monza, Spa, Barcelona as mentioned and plenty other tracks.
Date: March 03, 2012 01:35AM
Posted by: matt3454
I actually enjoy driving Valencia on the games, especially the last sector. It does make for a incredibly dull spectacle though. Barcelona has never been a fun track, it just seems like it was built to be a test track with a equal amount of long/short straights, and slow/medium/fast paced corners, it doesn't flow particually well.

I also don't think Monza or Spa are ruined, yes i prefer the old bus stop at Spa but its largely still the same. Monza though is improved with the double chicane removed at the start of the lap.

Date: March 03, 2012 10:33AM
matt3454
Monza though is improved with the double chicane removed at the start of the lap.

Blasphemy! Take that back!

Spa is slowly being ruined. It's got a Tilke start straight now where the marshals probably can't even see those opposite them without binoculars. There's a mile of tarmac run off in every corner, to the degree where it's actually difficult to hit anything at all there now (unless you're Lewis Hamilton of course). The last chicane is horrible with all that negative camber. While it does promote overtaking, it's not as though the rest of the track is short of overtaking opportunities.
Date: March 03, 2012 10:42AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> they destroyed barcelona as a race track in 2007.
> the last 2 corners were epic. together with turn
> nr. 3 they used to provide the greates
> combi9nation of fast corners other than spa and
> monza i'd guess. a real shame because the track
> itself is very challenging (sorry used to be), and
> with those micky mouse chicanes in the last sector
> now it is just pointless as mentioned, "deviations
> of the straight line".
>

Yeah, the last chicane at Barcelona has just ruined the whole spectacle. It was great to see cars flying through that last corner, but now it's just a low-gear procession. And it's a bloody nightmare on the F1 game as well.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: March 03, 2012 09:08PM
Posted by: elpasho2005f1
I want to know which 'bellend' gives Tilke the contracts to make F1 Circuits... they are so boring!!! they are so predictable, i'll be honest, as a track, I loved the old Imola circuit, so challenging and fast corners (although the greatest driver died there). Yet, every single racetrack designed by tilke has the same characteristics... break a leg hermann, try something different.
Date: March 04, 2012 02:12PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
The last sector on the game is epic. This rest is @#$%&. The actual races on it are also @#$%&.
Date: March 04, 2012 11:44PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i drive the 2006 version of the Barcelona track (the one with the fast two right handers in the end). since i made my car setup oversteerish in order to suit my driving style better, the last corner is such an Unknown every single lap.

For example: when the car is heavier on fuel and i dont shift a gear down I'd probably fly off the track in 2 out of 3 times, mainly because of too much oversteer. Therefore i have to be careful, but if I have a honda or Kimi breathing down my neck I need eevery last hundred of the second in order to stay out of the slip stream zone. i would imagine it is simillar in the real F1 as well. Now it all is ruined with the micky mouse chicanes.
Date: March 17, 2012 11:39AM
Posted by: danm
danm Wrote:
> Have to partly agree, Grosjean is one arrogant
> little frog.
>
> But I do think we are about to see some fresh
> talent. The guy is good!

:D

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: March 17, 2012 09:52PM
I'm not being moved on him at this point. Let's remember that he's done one quali session in a car which is clearly a frontrunner. If we get to mid-season and he's kept it up consistently and kept ahead of Kimi consistently, then I'll accept I've been a bit harsh on him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy