2012 F1 Car Launch Thread

Posted by EC83 
Re: 2012 F1 Car Launch Thread
Date: February 01, 2012 08:10PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I do like the nice widely-spaced front wing supports.
Date: February 02, 2012 12:55AM
Posted by: fongu
I'm with those who say its bland, to me its too simple, there's just nothing particularly interesting about it at all. The rear end seems tidy and small, and I'm intrigued at the thinking behind the exhaust position. Should go well in pre-season with a simpler car

Date: February 02, 2012 10:57AM
Posted by: danm
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Feb 3rd. Ferrari Launch. Maranello. Snow
> expected.
>
> Interesting!
>
> [www.weather.com]
> ly+ITER1625

Seems like I am a prophet!

[www.ferrari.com]

Launch cancelled due to snow!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 02, 2012 10:59AM
Posted by: Dahie
Ferrari2007 schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is actually quite a nice looking car shape wise,
> but I have to agree the livery is very bland,
> essentially exactly the same as the 2007 livery
>
> However in a marketing sense it makes great sense.
> Mclaren have basically only had 3 liveries since
> the 80s if you disregard the 06 livery which was
> kind of a stop gap following West's departure

As a matter of fact, the livery is not 100% like the one 2007. They actually simplified it over the years, lost the read on the airbox and the red strip from the nose used to follow along the the sidepod. Those touches made the car far more interesting and worked better with the large surfaces.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: February 02, 2012 07:24PM
Posted by: EC83
It looks like as if they'd just developed this from the 2010 car and the 2011 car had never existed. The least revolutionary-looking McLaren for several years. I'm struggling to think at the moment what could turn out to be controversial about it.

Date: February 02, 2012 08:00PM
The exhausts.
Date: February 02, 2012 08:00PM
Posted by: chet
Indeed, does look a tad like a development of 2010 car. Then again that car minus EBD was almost equal of RBR.

We should keep in mind that the one car that could argue has changed the least, visually (at first glance!) has been the RBR. The launch for the RB7 looked like the very same car which finished in Abu Dhabi 2010 except it took a couple weeks of some detox and slight weight-loss.

IMO the rear end is massively different. Kinda a mix of LRGP, Williams and RBR. Also the front end hasn't changed alot because that was probably the car's strongest point! Mechanically it was awesome at the front! I would argue equal performance or better than RBR at Monaco, Hungary and Singapore. Tracks where it's all about the front.

Apparently they said they will try a number of exhaust solutions? Perhaps last year's testing was a lesson. Ferrari's testing plan went to perfect I imagine yet they had 1 win. Mclaren made a meal of the car, and testing but were 2nd quickest for the most part. Their pre-season testing was spent fixing the awful faults they had. Perhaps it did more good than bad to have a horrible few months like that? I'm hoping they run into a number of problems this year too! It only means they're searching for the limit, and thats what they'll need to beat RBR! Reliability these days is almost a non-issue. Engines run perfectly and teams are experienced enough to know how strong certain components need to be. if they have a failure during a race you will be sure it will never happen again.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 02, 2012 09:30PM
Posted by: Guimengo
The chromed McLaren livery has overextended its welcome with me since 2008, I don't like the chrome with the red, I really miss the 1997-2005 car and would have much preferred that fictional black 2012 model.
Date: February 02, 2012 09:35PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
The Force India's launched tomorrow too, perhaps expecting them to go without 'stepped' nose too as they, like McLaren, haven't done so in the past.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 02, 2012 10:05PM
I liked the white fantasy one cause it reminded me of pre-1997 which was like, the most iconic livery ever.
Date: February 03, 2012 10:15AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
2012 Ferrari
Date: February 03, 2012 10:18AM
Posted by: mika19b
My god that nose is more hideous than the Caterham's!
Date: February 03, 2012 10:29AM
Posted by: NeronMJ
Sahara ;)

Date: February 03, 2012 10:33AM
jesus christ, these cars are so ugly, that I now love them! :D

amazing variation, this is FANTASTIC news!

Ferrari.... lol.

An amusing quote on another forum...

''I heard that Ferrari lost their licence to use CATIA and had to use Lego Digital Designer ''

Alonso being sick at the launch >> bahah

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 10:41AM by danm.
Date: February 03, 2012 10:54AM
Posted by: marcl
The Ferrari is bloody ugly.

Interesting to see the only new car not to have that nose step is the mclaren.
Date: February 03, 2012 10:54AM
lol

Besides the hideous nose, I really like the Ferrari. Actually aerodynamically, it's not that radical, but I love that top view :)

I hate the camera at the front of the Force India, but its got nicely sculpted sidepods, not too dissimilar to the Toro Rosso last year. Actually it reminds me more of the Minardi PS05 sidepod which I loved

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 10:57AM by fongu.
Date: February 03, 2012 11:06AM
Lotus really looks too pointy. Eugh.

Trust McLaren to make something pretty though, as ever.

Date: February 03, 2012 11:09AM
Posted by: J i m
The Force India looks quite smart, it's the least offensive "platypus" nose so far.

The Ferrari? Heehehehehehehehehehehh it looks like they've invited a 9yr old from Hotwheels department of freestyle to design it.

Obviously from a purists point of view the Mclaren remains the looker.

Date: February 03, 2012 11:12AM
I actually like the Force India livery, as it suits the shape.

Reminds me of the 1994/5 Footwork.

Not so sure about all the mini-winglets of bigger winglets. Very 'pimp my ride'-esque.

Yo dawwwg, we heard you like downforce, so we added some extra downforce, so now you can extra downforce whilst you downforce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 11:14AM by danm.
Date: February 03, 2012 11:15AM
It's interesting that both Ferrari and McLaren have gone for outboard exhausts, Ferrari's aiming for the brake duct region where they have lots of aero devices, and McLaren more towards the outside of the diffuser, where they were last year. Wonder what Red Bull will come up with

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy