2012 F1 Car Launch Thread

Posted by EC83 
Re: 2012 F1 Car Launch Thread
Date: January 25, 2012 07:47PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
As long as it gets them in the midfield, I don't care what it looks like...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 25, 2012 08:39PM
Posted by: childcarracing
No it doesn't! I think it looks great! :) I don't see what you guys don't like about it so much. Certainly Lotus/Caterham's best car so far :)

EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That looks like the 2011 car got raped by a
> Matchbox toy and then gave birth to this. It's
> disgusting.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Childcar Racing is a league for kids.
Date: January 25, 2012 09:00PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I'm sure you could guess which part of the car people don't like (I)
Date: January 25, 2012 09:26PM
Posted by: Morbid
When I saw the pics from the side, I thought it was ok. When I saw the front pics from the magazine, it felt like someone was peeing in my eyes. The broken nose is just god awful...

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: January 26, 2012 05:05AM
Posted by: Slash
Gascoyne
We hope our fans can comprehend, that due to the limited ammount of work we had on the car previous to the programmed launch date, we had to take drastic desicions. Such as taking the car from the crash test, straight to the Launch Room

makes more sense now... lol :p
Date: January 26, 2012 07:56AM
Posted by: Nuvolari
This car reminds me Perry the Platypus... ;)
Date: January 26, 2012 09:23AM
Posted by: kubica2
f1 cars arent meant to be "attractive", they are an open cockpit car, whose shape is determined by aerodynamics and what will hopefully work best for the team on track. i bet if it won a race, everyone would love it.
remember how ugly f1 cars appeared on the first day they showed us with the current configuration high and skinny rear wing? now everyone is used to them. look back at a 2007 f1 car now, and they appear ugly with the low rear wing and so many aero parts everywhere.
this car does not look that bad, one day people will be seeking out scale model collectables of it.
i personally like it when teams show something unique on a car.
Date: January 26, 2012 11:34AM
Posted by: truecrysis

You can't really see the nose step from this angle, all camera angles like this please? ;)
To be fair i dont have any problems with the car except from the nose, the rest looks fine to me. But the nose... And well i understand what people are saying about eventually getting used to the cars, but for me this is different to say when skinny rear wings were brought in. With them, the car still flowed and looked normal, now theres a massive step in the way, and it just looks really abnormal... But thats just me lol

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: January 26, 2012 03:41PM
Posted by: IWE
truecrysis Wrote:
> [www.f1fanatic.co.uk]
> /01/caterham_ct01_f1racing_3-470x459.jpg
>
> You can't really see the nose step from this
> angle

How about from this one? ;)

:(

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
Date: January 26, 2012 03:45PM
Posted by: Carlitox
IWE Wrote:
> truecrysis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> [www.f1fanatic.co.uk]
>
> > /01/caterham_ct01_f1racing_3-470x459.jpg
> >
> > You can't really see the nose step from this
> > angle
>
> How about from this one? ;)
>
> [www.f1talks.pl]
> ct01/caterham_ct01_11.jpg
>
> :(

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: January 26, 2012 04:35PM
Posted by: J i m
Excellent!

We can dub Caterham as Team Loony tunes and the cas as daffy duck. This is good I like this.

Date: January 26, 2012 04:41PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I fall firmly in the camp that doesn't mind the new nose. At first, when I saw the first shot of the car, I was :o and thought "I can't believe they really ARE doing that nose!", but as time goes on I've grown to like it in a wierd way. To me, it's just a characteristic of the car, and not a particularly ugly one anymore IMO.

But, I can see it being a bit TOO much if all the cars use it. If only three or four do, it'll be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: January 26, 2012 04:43PM
Posted by: fongu
what I do like about this car is the skinny housing around the gearbox, and the much simpler floors without the blown diffusers :)

I don't like these long-wheelbased cars, it just makes the nose looks worse. I don't know why they went for a step rather than something smoother and easier on the eye.

Date: January 26, 2012 04:45PM
Posted by: danm
I think guys that the 'drop' is an illusion.

It is more like the wings/flap shape above the suspension rods are very elevated and outward.

Like RedBulls... but on steroids and less smooth.

The main nose plane looks as though it runs continuously. Do you really think they would add a 'step' lol!?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 04:49PM by danm.
Date: January 26, 2012 04:56PM
Posted by: chet
[www.caterhamf1.com]

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: January 26, 2012 04:57PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I hate to say it, Dan, but I think the picture IWE posted has proven otherwise! I can see how you came to think it was an illusion, though, you made me have to look twice!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: January 26, 2012 05:30PM
Posted by: danm
good point with the duck photo.... but where is the rest of the car behind it!? :P

that could be just the nose section alone - no monocoque attached, so you cant see any slope upwards behind it!

Look at where the Red Bull bodywork lines are - right on where the 'duck photo' would logically end.

I think you could still draw the natural nose slope through that in section from the side - but that 'bump' has something under it (suspension rod attachments) and is covered, and so it forms a weird looking drop.

Kinda like a dam, where the water levels represent the front nose and monocoque; and the concrete wall of the dam is this 'lump'. Except you guys are suggesting the water levels are significantly different (high to low); where I still think that this 'drop' isn't like a step. It's a nice slope, with a wall in the way.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 05:40PM by danm.
Date: January 26, 2012 05:57PM
Posted by: Toki
Mike Gascoyne on Thursday said he thinks most Formula One cars will feature an unseemly nose in 2012.

2012 The Season of Ugly Nose Sections????? ;) Can't wait to see more ....
Date: January 26, 2012 06:35PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Checking the photos on Formula1.com, the step is much smoother than IWE's picture makes out. (12/14 in the album [www.formula1.com] )

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: January 26, 2012 07:32PM
Posted by: Slash
Toki Wrote:
> Mike Gascoyne on Thursday said he thinks most
> Formula One cars will feature an unseemly nose in
> 2012.
>
> 2012 The Season of Ugly Nose Sections????? ;)
> Can't wait to see more ....

we're waiting confirmation on Kubica return

Sorry,..... i know.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy