Date: November 15, 2010 12:48AM
Posted by: Slash
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but Rosberg did touch him.... not the tyre, but
> the floor of the car
>
> He was no where near Schumacher, lol.

look closer, check Michael's steering wheel when rosberg's front left touches his car... full screen helps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 12:49AM by Slash.
Re: 2010 Abu Dhabi GP Official Thread *Spoilers*
Date: November 15, 2010 01:01AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
look closer, check Michael's steering wheel when rosberg's front left touches his car... full screen helps

Checked the video - they didn't touch. There is a very visible gap between them. Mercedes confirmed (via telemetry) to the BBC that there was no touch, Michael confirmed it was his own mistake, and the video shows there is no touch. I'm not sure what else can be said other than everybody involved knows there was no touch.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 15, 2010 01:59AM
well this is not worth a discussion anyway it was a bad year for Michael

on another hand, Petrov got his payback for Alonso ruining his race in turkey

lol
Date: November 15, 2010 04:36AM
some fun facts about yesterday

Yas Marina is 5.5 km, with a 55000 capacity, on a 55 lap race that started at 5pm local time, car number 5 won the gp to become the 5th champion on the grid...... :-o ;)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:00AM
Posted by: Vader
Slash
some fun facts about yesterday

Yas Marina is 5.5 km, with a 55000 capacity, on a 55 lap race that started at 5pm local time, car number 5 won the gp to become the 5th champion on the grid...... :-o ;)

And the race winner has 5 fingers on each hand and his car has 5 wheels (counting the steering wheel). I had 5 cups of coffee while watching it.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: November 15, 2010 08:47AM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
and if you add a few more letters to my TV's brand, which is LG, there'd be 5 letters on it.

Amazing way to finish. Frustrating as hell, given that my second fave driver behind webber is alonso, but hey, it's sh*t like that that makes you know you still care about the sport ;)
Date: November 15, 2010 09:44AM
Posted by: sunil
These are def'ly one of the best comments i have seen it,,, lol ;)

Alonso - Massa, why didn't you let me pass?

Petrov - I'm not Massa you stupid idiot, I;m Petrov, Vitaly Petrov!!!

TR: Vitaly, Nando is faster than you, Nando is faster than you. Got the message?

VP: I'm not a Ferrari driver! Got the message?

===================================================================================================================
i7 950@4GHZ 1.24V|Asus P6X58D-E|Dominators 10GB(2GBx5)1600C8|Corsair H70|Corsair 800D|Corsair HX850|EVGA,Zotac GTX 2x470|VX2433W FULL HD|X-Fi Plantinum|Creative S750 Gigaworks7.1|NZXT Sentry 2|7TB

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 09:58AM by sunil.
Date: November 15, 2010 10:29AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
What a sore loser Alonso is. Not only do Ferrari think it's Formula Ferrari, Alonso thinks it's Formula FerrariAlonso. If you don't manage to pass the guy on track, don't expect any favours.

Remember Schumacher 06? When he fell back to last place after the start? He hardened the #@!% up and actually passed people up to p4 ON THE TRACK, without gestures and bullcrap like that. You know why? Because he's a real racer who doesn't take anything for granted.

Maybe Red Bull didn't deserve the title, but Vettel sure as hell did. He retired from at least 2 races in the lead because of no fault on his own (mechanical), Australia and Korea, and Bahrain maybe as well if I remember correctly. So he could have easily been champ in Brazil.

Would be awesome if Merc come to the party next year - Imagine Schumacher v Vettel v Hamilton v Alonso v Webber v Rosberg v Button v Massa(hopefully). That would be a phenominal championship.
Date: November 15, 2010 01:54PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Yes, the best thing about this season ending is that next year has the potential to be better.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 15, 2010 08:19PM
Posted by: y2cwr2005
Ho3n3r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a sore loser Alonso is. Not only do Ferrari
> think it's Formula Ferrari, Alonso thinks it's
> Formula FerrariAlonso. If you don't manage to pass
> the guy on track, don't expect any favours.
>
> Remember Schumacher 06? When he fell back to last
> place after the start? He hardened the #@!% up and
> actually passed people up to p4 ON THE TRACK,
> without gestures and bullcrap like that. You know
> why? Because he's a real racer who doesn't take
> anything for granted.

>

Abu Dhabi and Interlagos, the same circuit they sure as heck are not.

Date: November 15, 2010 08:33PM
And I bet if it was Kobayashi he'd be passing. Alonso has never been the best overtaker. He's just one of the best, if not the best all round driver.

Lewis had a tougher challenge because Kubica is significantly better than Petrov.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 15, 2010 08:39PM
Posted by: gav
The Renault was far too quick in a straight line for the Ferrari. There's no way Alonso could have overtaken it unless Petrov made a mistake (something he does most races, but didn't yesterday). Look at the failed overtake at how hard he was trying.

His only real chance came on the last lap (the video Dave posted) and by then it was too late.

Whether his on track gesturing was justified or not, I can understand what must have been huge frustration. It's the same as when Lewis cries over pit calls - it's just letting it get the better of you in the heat of the moment.

Alonso was gracious in defeat afterwards once he'd had a chance to mellow.

Edit:
DaveEllis
And I bet if it was Kobayashi he'd be passing.

Yeah, but Kobayashi wasn't brilliant yesterday either - he was the one being overtaken. ;-)

Though of course I fully agree. If Kamui can overtake, Kamui overtakes. :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 08:40PM by gav.
Date: November 15, 2010 08:48PM
Yeah, but Kobayashi wasn't brilliant yesterday either - he was the one being overtaken.

Well there is only so much you can do in a Sauber, but at least he was having a go. Brundle summed up best. KOBs thought process is "which side is the inside for braking? Left? Well I'm going that way then!"

Suzuka would have been dull without him. He was creating passing opportunities into corners where others say you can't pass now days.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 15, 2010 08:52PM
Posted by: chet
It was Rubens last year who litterally put his car down the inside of another and simply hoped the other car got out the way. The result was some touching, but Rubens wasted no time in getting psat, and was past in a safe manner :p

IMO, Alonso litterally should have launched it down the inside with about 10 laps to go. And simply hoped Petrov wanted the points more than the DNF. Obviously it's easy to comment on it from a spectators perspective but I think Alonso should have taken some far more extreme measures.

But as I said, its easy for me to say that without knowing the exact details.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 15, 2010 10:14PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
i was thinking the same, mate. However then there came several onboard shots and i realized how far alonso actually was on the straight, absolutely impossible to make the launch. this jsut reminds me of schumi in 2006. when he couldnt pass a car, he was falling back on purpose and then catching up again, which actually was working beautifully. best memories are imola 2005, (although he couldnt pass), istanbul 2006 and some retro races in the 90's i cant exactly remember. alonso however hasnt been a great overtaker indeed yesterday but dont forget the renault was a hell of a fast car down that straight and that alonsos engine was pretty much gone.
if you look back at magny cours 2007 for example he DID pass heidfeld, despite magny cours being impossible to overtake.
However, next year will show us best ! cant wait
Date: November 15, 2010 10:21PM
chet
IMO, Alonso litterally should have launched it down the inside with about 10 laps to go. And simply hoped Petrov wanted the points more than the DNF. Obviously it's easy to comment on it from a spectators perspective but I think Alonso should have taken some far more extreme measures.

Alonso did take a punt - and from a long way back - and nearly cleaned himself out as he sailed sideways off the track.

Sometimes it's just not possible. It frustrated him, it frustrated his team, it frustrated the neutral who wanted a bit of a tighter fight for the title, but if you can't do it, you can't do it.

As I said, it's not like he wasn't trying.
Date: November 15, 2010 10:33PM
We all appreciate he was trying, but like Webber, he was never getting it done when it counted. Fine he was terrible on the straight, but during the rest of the lap he was still no where. There were a few times when he dropped quite far back. They are all "trying", but Alonso wasn't close enough to really be hassling Petrov most of the time, and at one point Webber was 2 seconds back! When mistakes were being made, neither Alonso or Webber were there to take advantage of it.

I can't help but think some others would have made a better job at the attempts.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 15, 2010 10:45PM
Webber had an awful race. OK, he didn't have top pace this weekend, as he himself bluntly admitted, but in the race he barely had the pace of Petrov and Rosberg on older hard tyres, or indeed of Kobayashi and Button on worn softs!

He'd probably still be stuck behind Jaime now if he hadn't been waived past.
Date: November 15, 2010 10:48PM
Posted by: chet
Yup!!

Lewis was all over Kubica corner after corner... Quite comparable situations aswell imo. Though the Mclaren was arguably a better car than the Ferrari here (comparing Lewis v's Alonso), Kubica is a much better driver than Petrov...

But Webber seemed very content to sit back and watch Alonso. I was very supprised at Webber. He wasnt on the pace at all, and to be out qualified by Alonso, Lewis AND Button is saying something. Must have been painful seeign the rear wing of the guy who you needed to beat for 50 odd laps! Then again, as painful as Vettel winning :p?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 15, 2010 10:56PM
Hamilton had a more efficient car in a straight line than the Ferrari though, and had very fresh tyres against ones which had done half a race.

Now I mention Ferrari rather than Alonso it reminded me of Massa... after his pitstop I don't think he overtook a single car. OK, so Massa isn't Alonso, but clearly the Ferrari wasn't a car to be overtaking in yesterday.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy