2010 Abu Dhabi GP Official Thread *Spoilers*

Posted by chet 
Re: 2010 Abu Dhabi GP Official Thread *Spoilers*
Date: November 15, 2010 11:01PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
He had the same power as the STR, and an F-Duct. He didn't pass the STR because he's sh*t, frankly. Massa has been terrible since Hockenheim. Whether that is down to deflated approach, poorer treatment, or just coincidence is up for debate. He is by far the worst of the top 6 drivers and really is a bad example to use.

Drivers like Massa (and how bad Webber was in the final race) make it more annoying that others like Kubica don't have a top drive yet.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 15, 2010 11:18PM
Posted by: gav
DaveEllis
really is a bad example to use.

He's the only equivalent example you can use. ;)

Edit: I do agree with the rest of your post though. Alonso has crucified Massa this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 11:18PM by gav.
Date: November 15, 2010 11:23PM
Posted by: Slash
Hamilton and Kubica is a good example of how difficult was to overtake yesterday... Lewis with fresher tyres couldn't find a way past
Date: November 16, 2010 06:02AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He had the same power as the STR, and an F-Duct.
> He didn't pass the STR because he's sh*t, frankly.

That's a shallow way to look at it.

Even without the F-Duct, the STRs were the fastest in the speed trap in qualifying. When a car is 4+kph faster than you with the current regulations and the design of this circuit (based on overtaking by slipstream) its going to be hard for most drivers, even for drivers who are reputedly very good overtakers, as Slash mentioned above.

Also, the Ferrari's engines were much more worn than almost all other cars. For example, the Renaults had new engines for this race. That's largely why they were able to do so well.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Massa has been terrible since Hockenheim. Whether
> that is down to deflated approach, poorer
> treatment, or just coincidence is up for debate.

I don't think Massa's been that bad since Hockenheim actually (bar Japan). I think his worst races of the year were Shanghai, Barcelona and arguably Silverstone (Lap 1 contact was 50-50).

I don't think you can call Hungary, Spa, Monza, Singapore, Korea or Brazil terrible.

In Singapore, he had one flying lap after his early stop, and he gained 10 positions or something like that. In Brazil, he would have been 5th or 6th but the team screwed up. Japan was awful, there's no doubt about it, and Abu Dhabi was disappointing, but, still, no worse than his team-mate.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> He is by far the worst of the top 6 drivers and
> really is a bad example to use.

But based on his performances this year, I think Massa hasn't been that much worse than Button in a lot of ways. Hear me out.

If you look at average qualifying, taking out Massa's Singapore mechanical failure, they are basically dead even (Massa 6.889, Button 6.947).

Now if you compare them to their team-mates. In qualifying, Button beat Hamilton 5 times, and Massa beat Alonso 4 times. In races, if you go back to the running order before either driver had a failure or a racing incident, Lewis is up 16-3. At Ferrari, Fernando is up 12-6 (I gave Massa Hockenheim, and removed Singapore because we didn't see Massa's potential).

So basically, the eventual points gap between Jenson and Felipe came down to luck more than anything else. Jenson made good weather calls to win two races. Obviously this wasn't only luck, but there is always an element of luck in any weather decision. Felipe got involved in a couple of 50-50 lap 1 collisions in the middle of the year, where Jenson had lucky safety cars which allowed him to escape from bad qualifying sessions. Felipe got screwed over by the Valencia SC more than anyone else, Felipe would have been ahead of Button in Brazil if it wasn't for his bad wheel etc. It would be incorrect not to mention that Button also had bad luck in Monaco and Spa.

Look, I'm not taking anything away from Button, as he's done a very good job this year and much better than I thought, its just that the gulf between him, Massa and the other top 4 has only been inflated by circumstance more than speed or ability.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 16, 2010 09:25AM
The difference between Button and Massa is that Button made a couple of risky calls which won him races and kept around the championship battle nearly all season. Massa had no such invention and/or ability to follow them through.
Date: November 16, 2010 10:21AM
That's a shallow way to look at it.

But is it really? Coulthard not being able to pass Bernoldi at Monaco, the worst track for overtaking, has gone down in legendary status. Massa had the equivalent but at a much better track, and we're defending him?

Also, the Ferrari's engines were much more worn than almost all other cars. For example, the Renaults had new engines for this race. That's largely why they were able to do so well.

Those engines will have been turned up the max. A championship was on the line - there's no way they were conserving them.

In Singapore, he had one flying lap after his early stop, and he gained 10 positions or something like that.

The difference between Massa and a top driver is he gets himself into positions where he can gain 10 positions. Even when Webber and Alonso have bad days, they very rarely have that amount of cars in front of them.

I agree with Gav. Button gets himself up there, with drivers who are in theory better than him, by making risky calls and decisions. It takes balls. Massa meanwhile is the only driver on the grid with a completely open radio channel, who gets talked to throughout the lap about how to drive the car. Smeddley should be demanding half of Massas pay.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 16, 2010 10:56AM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> But is it really? Coulthard not being able to pass
> Bernoldi at Monaco, the worst track for
> overtaking, has gone down in legendary status.
> Massa had the equivalent but at a much better
> track, and we're defending him?

OK, I see your point, but to use that example, the 2010 Toro Rosso is much better than the 2001 Arrows in relative terms.

Bernoldi was 4 seconds behind Coulthard in qualifying at Monaco in 2001, while Alguersuari was only 1.3s behind Massa this year at Monaco.

Add that to engine discrepancy, and FIA regulations making it even more difficult to overtake, I don't think being "sh*t" had anything to do with it at Abu Dhabi.

> Those engines will have been turned up the max. A
> championship was on the line - there's no way they
> were conserving them.

Sure, but there's still going to be a difference between an engine with one race under its belt rather than two or three.

> The difference between Massa and a top driver is
> he gets himself into positions where he can gain
> 10 positions. Even when Webber and Alonso have bad
> days, they very rarely have that amount of cars in
> front of them.

That isn't an appopriate link to make, as Massa only got that low in Singapore due to a mechanical failure.

As I said above, his average qualifying this year was ~7, so its not as though he's regularly needing to move up 10 places. The two other times he was outside the 10 were Malaysia when both McLaren and Ferrari didn't go out early enough, and Japan - his fault. But again, that's the same as Fernando who had Malaysia, a did-not-attempt in Monaco and not being good enough in Turkey.

> I agree with Gav. Button gets himself up there,
> with drivers who are in theory better than him, by
> making risky calls and decisions. It takes balls.
> Massa meanwhile is the only driver on the grid
> with a completely open radio channel, who gets
> talked to throughout the lap about how to drive
> the car. Smeddley should be demanding half of
> Massas pay.

Since we don't have open access to the radio channels, we have no idea how much each of the engineers talk to the drivers.

Personally, I still prefer what I hear of Massa rather than others like Hamilton who seem to spend the whole time complaining. But as I just said, its all down to what the directors give us.

It always intrigues me why Massa attracts so much apathy from many fans. I think the answer could be in his team-mates. He's had Heidfeld, Fisichella, Villeneuve, Schumacher, Raikkonen and Alonso. That's almost an unprecedented line-up, as I don't know if any driver in history has had four world champions in a row as team-mate, and not to mention another race winner and another very capable driver.

The fact that he's never been able to destroy a team-mate in a year (as Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Hamilton etc. have all done) probably doesn't help his public perception.

And yet, he basically ended Raikkonen's career in 2008 and 2009, and was as good as anyone in the period from 2007 up until his accident...

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 16, 2010 11:48AM
Add that to engine discrepancy, and FIA regulations making it even more difficult to overtake, I don't think being "sh*t" had anything to do with it at Abu Dhabi.

I think it did. Massa has only on occasion looked like a top driver. Every other time he's not looked like he was deserving of the seat. If he managed to at least get near Alonso most of the it wouldn't be a problem, but the gap between those 2 is by far the biggest of the top teams.

Sure, but there's still going to be a difference between an engine with one race under its belt rather than two or three.

The difference between an engine that has run multiple races and an engine that hasn't isn't like a car that's done 100,000 miles. It's really not that big an issue.

As I said above, his average qualifying this year was ~7

Fair point on the mechnical failure, but this says it all IMO. His average qualifying was around 7th? Well, that puts him last of the top teams, minus another car (usually Kubica or Rosberg). Whilst Button has had some poor qualifying, he has clawed it back in the race to the point where he was a title contender with only 3 races left. Massa was out of it a long time a go.

Since we don't have open access to the radio channels, we have no idea how much each of the engineers talk to the drivers.

We DO know how much Smeddley talks to Massa - he said it himself that Massas radio channel is open almost the entire race. Massa is the only driver on the grid who we keep hearing to be told how to drive by his engineer.

I don't dislike Massa, but he has done nothing to suggest he is worth that sort of drive. His performance before Ferrari were dire, with the odd shine. He then spent a year testing to calm down his style, and he's come back, was still a complete mess, and still isn't fast. An odd flash of brilliance now and then isn't good enough. He is miles from the other 5 top drivers, and almost lost out to Rosberg and Kubica in the standings.

01 Sebastian Vettel 256
02 Fernando Alonso 252
03 Mark Webber 242
04 Lewis Hamilton 240
05 Jenson Button 214
06 Felipe Massa 144
07 Nico Rosberg 142
08 Robert Kubica 136

That IMO says it all. You can change the points around and give him the 7 from Hockenheim which he truly deserved for an excellent drive, but it makes no difference. He is firmly routed to the bottom of the championship table, with a significant gap between himself and the rest. We can say "Well he did great in 2007", or "he's had great team mates", but so what? 2007 isn't now, and he doesn't have to 'destroy' his team mates, just get close. He is another Jarno Trulli. Sure he'll put out a great performance every so often, and in the right circumstances he might even be able to string them together to have a championship run. But he doesn't have the metal to fight the Hamiltons, Alonso, Vettels or even Jensons of this world on a regular basis.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 16, 2010 02:17PM
Posted by: danm
Rosberg and Kubica are surely Ferrari and McLaren bound in the next few years.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 16, 2010 02:21PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> But he doesn't have the metal to
> fight the Hamiltons, Alonso, Vettels or even
> Jensons of this world on a regular basis.

OK, I can understand your point in regards to 2010, but to make sweeping comments about his whole career is a bit unfair. You are almost making out that he's been thoroughly beaten by his team-mate every year, which is false.

I don't think its correct to say that he's only had flashes of brilliance in his whole career. In the second half of 2008 (post-Silverstone) he drove very well, except for punting off Hamilton at Fuji. I think if he didn't have the metal, I think it would have shown in these races. In 2009 he drove extremely well considering the car and was looking good for 5th in the championship. You seem to keep switching between commenting about 2010 and his whole career, but I would be surprised if many people think that he wasn't worthy of a Ferrari drive after his performances of 2006-09.

I don't like to bring up his injury as an excuse, but I think it definitely had an impact on his 2010 performance. Maybe not in affecting his driving (although Sid Watkins has said that it would take 2 years to fully recover) but more in stopping his career momentum and affecting his pre-season testing. His problems with the tyres should have been diagnosed and fixed in pre-season testing, rather than focusing on him getting back accustomed to the car. If you look at his first four years at Ferrari it was building up every year and then the accident. The major advantage he had over Alonso going into 2010 was the fact that he was already part of the team, but he lost that advantage.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 16, 2010 02:46PM
Posted by: Ali
Massa had some good years in F1 when he was driving the best car (2006, 2007 and 2008) with little challenge from other teams (in 2006 only Renault was equal or close, and in 2007 and 2008 only McLaren was at similar level), so with little effort he was at least 4th (and he has always been a fine qualifier).

This year Ferrari has been the 3rd fastest car in many races and only the best one in 2 or 3. The difference with the teams behind is smaller (in his good years, only 3 or 4 teams were in the same second per lap, now, in a second you may find the Renault, Mercedes, Force India, Williams, Sauber and maybe Toro Rosso...). That is, he had much more challenge from the rest of the grid. Alonso use to deal quite well with such situations but Massa don't, so now, in 3 or 4 tenth of a second (the difference between Alonso and Massa) there could be a couple of cars, which means a lot of points difference.

This year Alonso literally destroyed him and besides, he put the team in a very bad situation in Germany (I don't want to discuss about how fair it was, please, but if he was going to do it, he should have done it better, in the straingh... I can imagine more than a couple of situations more suitable and better scenified for such manouvre). But even having sympathy for Alonso, I really expected more challenge from Massa...

After this year, I don't think he can fight for the title alongside Alonso.
Date: November 16, 2010 02:58PM
chet Wrote:
> IMO, Alonso litterally should have launched it
> down the inside with about 10 laps to go. And
> simply hoped Petrov wanted the points more than
> the DNF. Obviously it's easy to comment on it from
> a spectators perspective but I think Alonso should
> have taken some far more extreme measures.
>
> But as I said, its easy for me to say that without
> knowing the exact details.

At the start of the straigh, Alonso was a few meters behind Petrov, at the end, he was about 25 or 30 meters. There was no was he could have tried anything but no braking at all and probably collide... What I though is that he maybe would try to overtake just before the straight (at the 180o slow corner), as they were coming slower and a possible (and likely) collision would be less important.

Marc Gene said that the Ferrari was prepared for qualifying, so it was suited for the twisty part (which probably allowed Alonso to qualify third) but was having a heavy downforce configuration which clearly compromised the top speed. Besides, he said that the 7th gear was quite short so that behind Petrov in the straight the engine was topping the revs so nothing else could have been done.

About the gesture to Petrov after the race.. come on, the guy just lost the title because he couldn't overtake Petrov in 40 laps! I would be extremely pissed off!!!! After that, people in Ferrari and Alonso himself didn't complain about losing the title because of Petrov...
Date: November 16, 2010 05:10PM
Posted by: chet
Buttons gap to Lewis is comparable to Massa's gap to Alonso but Button has the ability to make it up on Sunday, and is usually within pace of Lewis over a race distance. Whoever watched live timing at Abu Dhabi would have seen the best example of the differencet between Button and Lewis. Button takes time to get upto speed but once he's there he can lap as quick as Lewis (maybe a few tenths down on occasion) but the gap you see with Alonso and Massa on a Saturday remains constant throughout Sunday. The Brazil race was an interesting Button-Lewis comparison too. Once Lewis had fresh tyres he pulled away from Button at about 4-5tenths / lap. But it was Lewis later on complaining his rear tyres had gone. Had they not pitted at the end for fresh tyres it would have been an interesting end... It shows their mentality well, Lewis just wants to get the job done and be up there asap, whilst JB was thinking long term, he knew he had (planned) to go to the end on those tyres, nad he knew he had pitted earliest... Both methods have their addvantages and disadvantages, but thats what makes the Mclaren lineup probably the strongest lineup.

Button has a niche if you will. He has his talent and put simply, its being able to think about the whole picture and run a race via that.

Lewis is simply quick nad able to get 101% out the car 102% of the time!

Alonso, is kind of a mix of the two I guess..

What does Massa have that seperates him from any other driver? I like Massa alot! I think he's a great guy, and I hope next year hes on form but when it comes down to it, its true what Dave says, he hasnt got enough to beat Alonso, Lewis, Vettel or even Button. Id probably even put Webber and Nico, Kubica in that list! What most amazed me about Massa was the issue at Oz where Smedley came on the radio telling him how to how to drive the final two corners of the track. He was running too quick into the left so it was putting him off for the final turn. To me, what Smedley told him was common sense..!

As for the Alonso-Petrov and Massa-Jamie...

Well the interesting thing here is that Tilke's circuit is not to blame, the cars aero is not to blame (disregarding Ferraris high DF setup!) but what was a higher contributing factor was IMO the rev limit. Alonso would have been topping out before Petrov simply from setup alone, but the rev limit doesnt help at all. The cars are probably geared so that they reach max revs and speed just before the braking point. So for lapped pace rather than being stuck behind a driver.

The lack of overtaking had nothing to do with cars inability to follow in this case. We saw Lewis could stick with Kubica through the corners, and Alonso could stick with Petrov, its just Kubica and Petrov did fine jobs of keeping them behind where they could... Likewise with Massa and Jamie i guess.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 16, 2010 06:45PM
Posted by: marcl
Button this year has really impressed me, I thought Lewis would destroy him but this was not the case.

Over the year though Lewis was the faster driver over the whole weekend, we shall see how next year goes.

Massa was way off Alonso at just about every race, I think if he does not up his game next year he will be gone from Ferrari.
Date: November 16, 2010 07:35PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
So essentially, the cost-cutting measures cancel out the measures to improve overtaking...something has to give, surely.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 16, 2010 08:31PM
chet
but what was a higher contributing factor was IMO the rev limit

Hang on, if you give them a higher rev limit (or no limit, so limited by the engine capabilities) then they'll just top out at the higher limit instead. You've just moved the goalpost.

Brakes and tyres need changing for the worse. We may get the tyres next year (hopefully Pirelli won't be too conservative and we get some nice Montreal-style degradation), but the brakes need to be redone. The drivers need to be less limited by the cars potential, and be given more of a role. Instead of braking from 200mph for 90 metres, make them do it for 150 metres - twice the length, twice the work for the driver and double the chances of a mistake or more scope for a faster driver to make a difference.

Giving drivers KERS and an adjustable rear wing is going to be interesting, but not exciting. There's zero fun in overtaking someone on a straight - that's as manufactured as xFactor winners. What's needed is overtaking because the driver gets more control or more time to be in control, rather than just maximising the performance of the car, which is what it's all about now - the cars and tracks need to be less perfect.
Date: November 16, 2010 09:22PM
gav Wrote:
> Brakes and tyres need changing for the worse. We
> may get the tyres next year (hopefully Pirelli
> won't be too conservative and we get some nice
> Montreal-style degradation), but the brakes need
> to be redone.

I don't know about the brakes, but the tires need to be much softer. I find amazing (and unfortunate) that a set of hard tires can last for 50 laps withour any real effect on the performance. I think they should last not more than 25 laps forcing the drivers to pit at least twice. With refuelling, drivers can take different approaches to races but currently, cars are very competitive (Petrov was not much slower than Alonso, in fact, probably about 1 sec.) and seeing 10 cars followed one another without any possible overtake for 30 laps is quite ridiculous...
Date: November 16, 2010 10:47PM
Posted by: Guimengo
SchueyFan Wrote:
> His problems with the tyres
> should have been diagnosed and fixed in pre-season
> testing, rather than focusing on him getting back
> accustomed to the car.

This is the key. Alonso was always clearly Ferrari's priority so it was natural to have the car development steered towards Alonso's preference. Schumacher was royally beaten by Nico until the 1st car update where Mercedes extended the wheel base, making Nico having to adjust to the change - though still succeeding in the end. Schumacher was nowhere with such different car, I think Felipe is the same.

He obviously doesn't have Alonso's talent but he also isn't that bad. In order to be given a fair chance he must leave the team even if it means going to a midrunner. At Ferrari his career is over.
Date: November 16, 2010 10:58PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Also about more adjustable things for drivers, it just means they can make their car fine tuned for every corner. By removing wing changes and brake bias changes we surely would have more chances as the cars are set for a whole lap where you have to compromise in a few corners.
Date: November 16, 2010 11:49PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
> Brakes and tyres need changing for the worse. We
> may get the tyres next year (hopefully Pirelli
> won't be too conservative and we get some nice
> Montreal-style degradation), but the brakes need
> to be redone. The drivers need to be less limited
> by the cars potential, and be given more of a
> role. Instead of braking from 200mph for 90
> metres, make them do it for 150 metres - twice the
> length, twice the work for the driver and double
> the chances of a mistake or more scope for a
> faster driver to make a difference.

That is one way but how? Im no mech engineer but been informed by a friend working on aero brakes that steel brakes offer as much performance but require changing more often, more cooling, and are heavier. I know aero-brakes and racecar performance brakes will differ slightly but he says even in f1 it wouldnt change much, with the biggest change being teams replacing disks every session.

As for tyres, then yes. They need to have huge drop-off.

I dont see the difference between KERS, moveable rear wing than manufacturing tyres which are shite. Both are efforts to aid racing, both are manufactured and 'false' but thats what its come to.

Also a note on performance and development.

HRT have been the single constant throughout 2010, therefore you could use them as a base to judge the development of the other guys.

Taking Spain as an example (when HRT had some laps done!!), they were 7 seconds off. Thats their Q1 to pole in Q3. In Abu Dhabi it was 6 seconds. Obviously Abu Dhabi is longer, but then is more so based on straight line performance than Spain...I looked at Turkey as an all-round track and the gap was only 5 seconds (roughly!)... It should also be noted that IMO in terms of race performance, the gap between HRT to Virgin did not change much from begining to end. If you take HRT's beginings as Spain or when they had completed enough laps. Sennas race pace at Abu Dhabi was comparable to the Virgins IIRC.

Then we see Q3 sessions split by thousands between teams. And it confuses me. I mean, you'd half expect the gap to have increased given RBR's relentless development... I figure the £millions of development cash only tells during a race, ie over long periods of time, and net time gain. i cba right now but id look at the gaps at the end of races maybe. I guess the biggest variable regarding pace is conditions. Something we can not have equal from one point to another. But I still find it interesting that on overal pace there isnt a great deal difference. Ive only looked at a few races, not the whole picture so that could be worth looking at.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy