2010 Abu Dhabi GP Official Thread *Spoilers*

Posted by chet 
Re: 2010 Abu Dhabi GP Official Thread *Spoilers*
Date: November 17, 2010 12:35AM
Posted by: Slash
hey chet, well i'm not sure if you're talking about this, but what i think explains how the gap stayed the same or HRT managed to get a bit closer is because they have more room for improvements.. RedBull started with a great car and to improve it from there is very hard and it's never going to be a massive amout of time in performances probably a few tenths every 1 or 2 months, whereas for HRT, after starting with a difficult car to drive they have more areas to improve where they can gain a few more time than RedBull whom already reached "perfection" when the season started... also i think from what we've seen is safe to say that money doesn't translate into perofrmance and RedBull might have invested a bit in reliability and other different areas besides pushing the boundries a bit more on pure speed from the car

what i mean is, for RedBull and the top teams is a lot harder to find more tenths from a car that was already on the limit from the beggining, whereas for HRT and the other teams is a lot "easier"..
i think Lotus gained the most out of the new teams and i think in Spain they improve somehting like 1.5 secs compared to the previous races.. iirc in Canada i think they where pretty close to Sauber, somewhere between .6 tenths to 1 sec and in previous races they where 2 or more secs behind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 12:36AM by Slash.
Date: November 17, 2010 06:18AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Remember that HRT started with that very overweight suspension, just changing that by itself likely gave them all that time improvement :P.
Date: November 17, 2010 09:29AM
Posted by: gav
chet
That is one way but how? Im no mech engineer but been informed by a friend working on aero brakes that steel brakes offer as much performance but require changing more often, more cooling, and are heavier. I know aero-brakes and racecar performance brakes will differ slightly but he says even in f1 it wouldnt change much, with the biggest change being teams replacing disks every session.

I replied to you previously (in this thread I think it was, before the race) suggesting smaller calipers (and/or discs). Braking in 80-90m is rubbish. It's very impressive and everything, but it gives nothing to either the racing or the spectating and it would have next to no affect on manufacturers selling cars.

It would also be a way of increasing driver involvement without sacrificing much lap time - we all know how quick Vettel was in the latter stages of Barcelona while barely touching the brake pedal - about 2-3 seconds I think it was - OK, so the pace had dropped a touch, but still.

chet
I dont see the difference between KERS, moveable rear wing than manufacturing tyres which are shite. Both are efforts to aid racing, both are manufactured and 'false' but thats what its come to.

One is just a means of assisting the car behind through pressing some buttons. The other gives more challenge to a driver, again putting it in his hands more. The only negative regarding tyres is that Bridgestone and now Pirelli won't want the image that their tyres fall apart dramatically.
Date: November 17, 2010 03:06PM
Posted by: senninho
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only negative regarding tyres
> is that Bridgestone and now Pirelli won't want the
> image that their tyres fall apart dramatically.

Pirelli actually specifically asked the teams recently to support them in developing less durable compounds, and to help them by resisting the urge to whinge about the tyres not lasting if they get it 'right'.

Date: November 17, 2010 06:24PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I replied to you previously (in this thread I
> think it was, before the race) suggesting smaller
> calipers (and/or discs). Braking in 80-90m is
> rubbish. It's very impressive and everything, but
> it gives nothing to either the racing or the
> spectating and it would have next to no affect on
> manufacturers selling cars.

Ahh never saw... Reducing disk size is maybe not a great idea with the fuel loads... Though it would be a test of who could make their cars last, but then again F1 cars are sprint cars not endurance cars... It might aid racing but im not so sure id like see drivers looking after their brakes. At least with tyres its more about strategy than making sure your car goes to the end safley. Smaller calipers could be one way I guess.

I dont see how braking at 80m sells cars either. Ceramic brakes on road cars is IMO silly and a complete utter waste of money. Unless you will use it as a track car. Otherwise they are pretty rubbish and maybe more dangerous than good. Its all well and good quoting a stopping distance, but the guy its the guy behind might not agree :p

>
> It would also be a way of increasing driver
> involvement without sacrificing much lap time - we
> all know how quick Vettel was in the latter stages
> of Barcelona while barely touching the brake pedal
> - about 2-3 seconds I think it was - OK, so the
> pace had dropped a touch, but still.
>

Forgot about that!! It was impressive!!!

>
> One is just a means of assisting the car behind
> through pressing some buttons. The other gives
> more challenge to a driver, again putting it in
> his hands more. The only negative regarding tyres
> is that Bridgestone and now Pirelli won't want the
> image that their tyres fall apart dramatically.

Its a pretty silly excuse isnt it?! I can understand if we had a tyre war, but since they would be the sole manufacturer whats the worry? Are people really not going to buy Pirelli tyres because some Ferrari F1 car goes through them like nobodys business?

Slash., thats exactly what I mean... I guess thats true but when you consider RBR are fighting for the WDC, youd expect a time gain of at least 0.75 throughtout the season IMO... RBR have the best development team (as proved in the last two seasons!), alot more money than HRT but still not alot of difference with the gap. HRT will have made some improvements as Gui said with the weight but what other developments have they done? I would say they could easily optimize setup but again thats highly dependent on atmospheric conditions more than anything. It is a shame HRT are such a joke, and run by such jokes because its clear that the car had potential.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 18, 2010 02:43PM
Posted by: senninho
I still think bringing back H-pattern gearboxes will help too, but I very much doubt this will sell cars ;)

I seem to remember Jacques Effing Villeneuve claiming it would be impossible due to the revs involved, but I'm not convinced. Added to that, the engine management could help avoid blown engines, and bring back the extra overtaking help of a driver fluffing a gearchange out of a corner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy