2010 Belgian Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***

Posted by SchueyFan 
2010 Belgian Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: August 25, 2010 04:16PM
Posted by: SchueyFan

Preview
After the traditional mid-season break, F1 returns at very possibly its best circuit, Spa-Francorchamps. After Bahrain, this season has finally lived up to our expectations, and we now have 5 drivers within 20 points (~8 points in the old system).

The track has undergone some small changes for 2010, with more tarmac run-offs installed at Les Combes, including the "sleeping policeman" to prevent corner-cutting. The astroturf at La Source has also been extended, possibly to prevent drivers emulating Räikkönen's controversial start to last year's race.

Recent Winners:
2009 - Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari)
2008 - Felipe Massa (Ferrari)
2007 - Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari)
2005 - Kimi Räikkönen (McLaren)
2004 - Kimi Räikkönen (McLaren)
2002 - Michael Schumacher (Ferrari)
2001 - Michael Schumacher (Ferrari)
2000 - Mika Häkkinen (McLaren)

In the recent years, Spa has been clear McLaren and Ferrari territory. The track has hosted some very memorable Ferrari vs. McLaren battles, such as 2000 and 2008. Infact, Jordan is the only other team to win here stretching back to 1996. However, with Kimi now gone, it only leaves two past winners, an unusally low number, on the grid - Schumacher and Massa. However, with Schumacher to suffer a grid penalty, and Massa struggling in qualifying against Alonso, it opens the door for a first-time winner at the track.

Form Guide
Red Bull - As always in 2010, favourites. However, their margin should not be as great as in Hungary, and they can expect a close battle with Ferrari and McLaren. Sooner or later, Vettel must have a run of good Sundays, and this could be the start.
McLaren - After the disappointment of Hungary, there is hope, with the long straights theoretically bringing them back into the fold. Button needs to arrest his downward spiral, particularly in qualifying, if he wants to remain a legitimate championship contender.
Ferrari - They seem to have found a newfound consistency across all styles of track. Both drivers are in form, but there is a big cloud over the team as to what happens if Massa is ahead of Alonso on track.
Mercedes - With a shift in focus towards 2011, and Schumacher's grid penalty, it could be a tough race for Mercedes. Schumacher will probably be forced to charge through the field, and it will be interesting to see if the events in Hungary have any affect on his aggression.
Renault - Kubica has lost some of his early-season momentum in the last few races with a mechanical failure and a pit crash. With the F-Duct finally making it onto the car, and Petrov coming off his best ever race, Renault could make further inroads on Mercedes in 4th.
Force India - While their heroics of 2009 seem beyond them, they should be battling with Renault and Mercedes for best of the rest. At Montreal, they proved they still have good performance on low-downforce tracks, and after two no-scoring races, they need to bounce back.
Williams - Barrichello's partnership with Williams is gaining new fans all the time, and at his 300th race, he will be keen to mark it with a good result. However, Williams have struggled on the low-downforce tracks in the last couple of years.
Sauber - After a dreadful start to the year, Sauber have improved rapidly in the last few races. Points may not come as easily here, but with their fantastic mix of experience and youth, they should challenge the Williams.
Toro Rosso - A disappointing year for Red Bull's stablemate, with few highlights. They need some attrition or a wet race in order to score some points.
Lotus - This could be one of Lotus' best chances for a decent result this year. With two experienced and reliable drivers, they could get a 11th or 12th to possibly secure the valuable 10th place in the Constructors' Championship.
HRT - With money still presiding over ability at HRT, there isn't much hope for a strong result from HRT. However, with the little downforce they have, they may get a small advantage here compared to the other new teams.
Virgin - Much like Lotus, they will be hoping to get a result which could help in their charge for 10th in the championship. Firstly, they need to get ahead of HRT, which can be done with a 14th place or better.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 04:19PM by SchueyFan.
Re: 2010 Belgian Grand Prix ***SPOILERS***
Date: August 25, 2010 05:16PM
Posted by: matt3454
I thought Hamilton won in 2008?

Date: August 25, 2010 05:40PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
btw, in the tradition of GPG Previews - its supposed to rain all weekend ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: August 25, 2010 05:45PM
Posted by: chet
The weather is, as ever unpredictable.

Im missing the race, but instead paintballing and karting, so fair trade :p!

edit - Kimi will win. He'll rock up in his WRC and keep his title of Spa master, and lap Schumacher a brazillion times.

Or! It will be a close fought RBR v's Mclaren v's Ferrari race, with a Vettel win ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2010 05:47PM by chet.
Date: August 25, 2010 05:51PM
Posted by: Twigster151
matt3454 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I thought Hamilton won in 2008?

He did but after the race was given a 25 second penalty for cutting the chicane when he overtook Raikkonen so he finished 3rd.

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Date: August 25, 2010 07:56PM
Posted by: Slash
Mansell will take part of stewards.. i hope he drinks a Red Bull before so he can react quickly!!

gunning for Ferrari, Webber and Michael
Date: August 25, 2010 09:48PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Rain please. And a repeat of Force India's heroics last season would be nice.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: August 25, 2010 09:50PM
Posted by: J i m
Rain and a Barrichello victory please.

Date: August 25, 2010 10:41PM
Posted by: rapid_f1
torrential rain and a scumi special!

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: August 25, 2010 10:57PM
Posted by: Nickv
Be a weatherman and predict the weather yourself! ;)

[www.meteox.be]
Date: August 26, 2010 12:04AM
Posted by: Carlitox
Did you hear about the modification of the gravel traps in Les Combes? Now it has AstroTurf (a kind of asphalt with extremely high grip so that the cars can't accelerate properly) at the outside and taller kerbs. Also, the external part of La Source has now AstroTurf to prevent the cars from going wide at the start.
Personally, I hope there is a good storm (like 1998, what a disaster! ;)) and victory either for Ferrari or Mercedes, although you can never discard RBR or McLaren.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: August 26, 2010 12:25AM
Posted by: Lex
J i m schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rain and a Barrichello victory please.

+1

And Webber second, with Hamilton and Vettel failing to score. Massa can be third.

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: August 26, 2010 12:26AM
Posted by: Frantic
I want a Barrichello victory and a chaotic race. or even better, VERY chaotic race and Rosberg win ;)

But i think its up to Ferrari, McLaren, and RedBull, and we have to see how runs the Renault with the F-Duct

Date: August 26, 2010 12:38AM
Posted by: raulongo
Last year, Force India came from ashes... this year, PLEASE, Williams's turn!

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: August 26, 2010 02:25AM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
I think Kimi will win this one ;)
Date: August 26, 2010 08:37AM
Posted by: shep34
A victory for Webber hopefully, and Vettel parked by the side of the road, after a first lap collision with Hamilton. That would make my day! Can't wait to watch Spa this weekend - best track of the year!!! Qualifying on tv here in Australia at 11:30pm Sat night, with the race live at 10pm Sunday night! You bewdy!!! Just a shame i have to get up for work at 5am Monday....(N)
Date: August 26, 2010 09:34AM
Posted by: marcl
Watching the reply on BBC from last year I am shocked Kimi got away with that 1st corner, Force India should feel robbed.

Anyway this year, I think Alonso will win the race from Lewis then Webber.
Date: August 26, 2010 09:50AM
Posted by: gav
I wouldn't feel too bad... Kimi only gained because Heidfeld ran in deep and held the Toyotas up. Kimi wasn't getting an advantage, it was the BMW slowing everyone up. Look again - Kubica actually overtook Kimi.
Date: August 26, 2010 11:07AM
Posted by: matt3454
gutted i can't watch this race as i booked the wrong weekend off work (doh!). This will probably be one of the only races that i will avoid the results for and watch a replay.

Hoping Williams or Mercedes can ruffle the feathers of the front runners.

Date: August 26, 2010 07:15PM
Posted by: chet
If Rubens wins that will be special!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy