The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by tozequio 
Re: The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: May 30, 2010 09:17PM
Posted by: marcl
^Well thats Webber for you, you cannot race the guy without a crash. At 1st I said it was 100% Vettels fault but they are team mates and Webber should have let Vettel go, Vettel did look to turn right but he went right after they touched. I think its 50/50 maybe more webber for not giving space.

Was a fantastic race the top 4 ran close the whole time and it was a great fight with Lewis and Button 100% fair, well all apart from the 1st corner but cannot blame Lewis for doing that move.

From the message Lewis got was they were both told to save fuel but it seemed lewis backed off more than button did until that move, maybe button thought I shall try once and then leave it. Was fun though even though Lewis looked totally pissed off.

Tbh though Lewis was the fastest driver on the day, he spent the whole race getting held up, but Button is now showing much better dry pace as people have said.

Just a great race tbh :)
Date: May 30, 2010 09:27PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Tbh though Lewis was the fastest driver on the day, he spent the whole race getting held up, but Button is now showing much better dry pace as people have said.

Well Vettel did leap him when it counted. I think Vettel was faster but had the car advantage. For me, Lewis and Jenson were the men of the race as they out performed what they should have done with that car. and managed to race without having a ridiculous accident.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2010 10:16PM
Posted by: raulongo

Both are guilt of ego-ness

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: May 30, 2010 10:28PM
Posted by: Guimengo
At first I thought "Vettel you fool!" as the tv shot had Vettel moving right and then the crash. Upon the replays being shown then I changed my view on it.

Vettel had a great tow and despite having very little room, passed Webber. Webber didn't move at all and kept with the tiniest of gaps to Vettel. Vettel had just barely began moving right when Webber hit the brakes, in what seemed like a very early braking maneuver for that corner, and caused Vettel's tire to just bounce off Webber and proceeding to break Vettel's car while (luckily for) Webber just had a quick run off.

Vettel was ahead, Webber braked despite having Vettel's tire right by him and both got punished. Vettel got the worst of it due to retiring yet again when he should have been at least 2nd, and Webber fell behind the McLarens.

Despite all this, I still believe it was stupidity on both sides and I am glad neither of them apologized. It's good to see that those two have competition between them, as mentioned by Speed TV before the race, that not all is all roses and flowers. Vettel clearly showed Webber his anger and Webber had a very clear body language and facial expression while explaining the crash to Lewis. To a degree I think of Senna-Prost competition building up there!

Oh yeah, about Jenson and Lewis. I loved how Jenson just forced around the outside to get the pass while Lewis maintained the different line to get a better S/F straight corner exit. I didn't like how Jenson gave Lewis too much room into T1 - who else thought Jenson could have gone around without having to move so much back to the racing line? - and Lewis squeezed Jenson out after touching cars. I feel Jenson is still too much of a gentleman and his body language seemed to sum up how unhappy he was with Lewis getting P1.

9/10 Turkish GP.
Date: May 30, 2010 10:36PM
I think both of them seemed a bit upset tbh, after all Lewis allowed him to go round the outside and Button let him over take down the inside but it was great racing and shows they will race each other. As racing goes though I feel lewis risked the crash more by going down the inside and maybe should have waited for the straight. For me though "save fuel and tyres" means hold station which Button did not, who can blame him though.

Lewis did seem to back off more in fuel saving mode before that than button had to, but after button really backed off.

Seems like the pace really caught rbr and Mclaren out with regards to fuel.

Just read on the BBC that button was not told to turn his engine down until 3 laps after lewis was, so that is how he got a run on him. So much for both cars turning the engines down then :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 10:46PM by marcl.
Date: May 30, 2010 11:24PM
Posted by: gav
I too took the "save fuel" message as code for "hold station"... glad that wasn't the case!
Date: May 31, 2010 12:04AM
Posted by: Karan
Webber has always, always been a hot head when it comes to people passing him. I think we can all recall numerous examples in the past where Mark is absolutely stubborn to the point of being stupid, when it comes to getting overtaken. And in the heat of racing, sometimes it seems even forgets when its his own team mate trying to get past. Ofcourse Sebastian should not have been so presumptious to assume that Mark would give him the necessary room either. He could've managed that maneuvre with a tad more caution and they might've ended up fine.

50-50 racing incident in my view.

Date: May 31, 2010 01:30AM
Posted by: shep34
I think Seb is of the opinion that HE is the man in the team, with everyone saying he will be champ one day, and that on track, Mark Webber will just move over for him when he comes alongside. Um, wrong.... Webber has been around too long to just move over. No racing driver should just move over. My opinion, for what ever it may be worth, is that it was a racing incident. Webber could have left a little more room, Vettel could have seen it was very dangerous to attempt that pass.
Webber's onboard does show him make a slight left move, most likely to hopefully send the message to the rapidly approaching Vettel "you aint going thru there!!!". As we know, he did. I am then guessing Webber assumes Vettel will outbreak himself, so Webber brakes slightly early, aiming to avoid Vettel and take the apex of the next corner, and move on....

Thinking this incident will split opinions. If Webber was told to turn his engine down, surely someone in the team would then say Seb is right behind you, with full power, and will most likely drive by you...??? Who the hell knows...!!!
Date: May 31, 2010 01:48AM
Posted by: rapid_f1
why did buttin not hug the inside when going to turn 1 surely he knew lewis would come up in the inside he always does, lewis is driving superb at the moment and imo is the most deserving to become chanphion at this stage,

and it irritates me when people say thees no fun excitement in f1 and when there is close acing people say shouldnt you tell them not to race each other.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
I think Webber was ok...Vettel was the one assuming too much about Webber there. He took a risk and paid for it. In the end, biggest winner of the race is Webber. He is now clear in the lead of the championship even if by few points, and Vettel fell way back again. There's a lot of talk about racing for the the team lately, but I'm sure that deep down, even if Webber is angry about losing the race, he'll be pleased that the end result puts him on a better position in the championship.
Morbid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Webbers major
> fault was, that he STAYED in on Vettel after the
> pass was completed!
The smart thing to do as a
> racer, would be to zoom out into the ideal line
> and set Vettel up for the chicane, exactly as it
> happened with Button and Hamilton. Vettel focused
> on the brake marker and getting to the turn in. A
> more experienced driver would have kept his eye on
> Webber.

That's pretty much verbatim what I've been telling people that have been asking about it. I have to skew it in favour of webber cos this country is too simple to look beyond the fact an aussie was in the lead and a was taken out by a german (some of the sharper ones recalling Fuji).

gav Wrote:
> More importantly than all of this. I want to kill
> Nicole Scherzinger (yes I had to Google the name).
> It's the first time I've seen her for a season or
> something and she's already doing my @#$%& head
> in.

Was watching it last night with the gf, who said something like "ummm why is there a pussycat doll on this?" and i said she's hamilton's girl and then she was like....well she should be with button. Cos then she can sing "loosen up my button babe uh huh" or however that song goes. Yeah. It was funny at the time, alright?
Date: May 31, 2010 03:17AM
Am sort of in 2 minds with the crash. They are team mates webber should have given more space, but had they not been we would all be blaming vettel. Lewis has said vettel turned right on him as well, you can see vettel move his wheel webber did not. Webber should haven given more space but as many have said he did not have to.

As I said I am in 2 minds.
Date: May 31, 2010 03:54AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
Good Race Was Very Happy with the Mclaren One Two looking forward to seeing it happen again in Canada (Love the F-Duct lol)

As an Aussie i was gutted to see Webber hit by Vettel.

I think it was pretty clear from the footage that Vettel Hit Webber. Webber is in the lead of the race and has every right to hold his line he did not weave or do anything like that Vettel just hit him end of story, if Webber jumped out of the way it would be stupid these guys are fighting for the world championship let them fight it out to the very end.

Ferrari have lost the plot both drivers look like they would rather be else where all the pit to car radio telling them how good they are going seams a bit silly surely they don't need encouragement at this level.

Was Gutted for petrov poor bloke drove a great race.

Mercedes are the best of the rest followed buy Renault then Ferrari with Force India ready to spring a trap at low downforce tracks

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: May 31, 2010 04:56AM
Posted by: Morbid
The_Ozz_Man Wrote:
> As an Aussie i was gutted to see Webber hit by
> Vettel.
>
> I think it was pretty clear from the footage that
> Vettel Hit Webber. Webber is in the lead of the
> race and has every right to hold his line he did
> not weave or do anything like that Vettel just hit
> him end of story, if Webber jumped out of the way
> it would be stupid these guys are fighting for the
> world championship let them fight it out to the
> very end.

MikaHalpinen Wrote:
> I have to
> skew it in favour of webber cos this country is
> too simple to look beyond the fact an aussie was
> in the lead and a was taken out by a german (some
> of the sharper ones recalling Fuji).

I believe you.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 31, 2010 05:49AM
Posted by: NeoLiot
marcl Wrote:
> They are
> team mates webber should have given more space,

in this view, they're team mates so vettel should not try to pass...

let them fight, and let them crash... it's just make races better this way...

-------------------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2010 05:49AM by NeoLiot.
Date: May 31, 2010 06:32AM
Posted by: Guimengo
I forgot to mention, I was also gutted for Petrov. Alonso bullied his way through and went on without consequence while Petrov was forced out of the points.
Date: May 31, 2010 09:10AM
Posted by: alexf1man
Guimengo Wrote:
> I forgot to mention, I was also gutted for Petrov.
> Alonso bullied his way through and went on without
> consequence while Petrov was forced out of the
> points.

Again proving FIA's favouritism towards Ferrari, I think Alonso deserves to (at least) get a warning for that.
Date: May 31, 2010 11:13AM
Posted by: Abstraction
Theoretically speaking, if Webber let Vettel through, wouldn't everyone in the F1 world be simply calling Webber a pussy and not a racer? (considering he was leading the race+championship)
Date: May 31, 2010 11:55AM
Posted by: gav
shep34
I think Seb is of the opinion that HE is the man in the team, with everyone saying he will be champ one day, and that on track, Mark Webber will just move over for him when he comes alongside.

Given Helmut Marko's statement, you have to wonder if RBR think the same.

Frankly, I'm still of the opinion that Vettel was entirely in the wrong. You don't turn across another car. You just don't, and especially so not approaching a braking area. I don't care whether it's your team-mate or not - it was a ridiculously move. To be brutally honest, I'm staggered it wasn't even investigated, as he should be given an almighty slap on the wrists for that move.

If anyone else had pulled that move then 95% of this forum would castigate them, 3 drivers in particular.

alexf1man
Again proving FIA's favouritism towards Ferrari, I think Alonso deserves to (at least) get a warning for that.

Hang on, what the hell did Alonso do wrong? He drove around the outside of Petrov and Petrov drove into him, breaking his own car? You can't dive out of the way because the other guy wants to be where you are. You want Alonso punished because Petrov drove into him?
Date: May 31, 2010 12:07PM
Posted by: mortal
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
> I have to
> skew it in favour of webber cos this country is
> too simple to look beyond the fact an aussie was
> in the lead and a was taken out by a german (some
> of the sharper ones recalling Fuji).

Hear hear!

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy