The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by tozequio 
Re: The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: May 29, 2010 09:28PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Nice job from Webber again, and lucky for Vettel to once again survive a mechanical issue without too much damage.

Very disappointing for Ferrari, they have gone down the wrong road somewhere on the development line

EC83 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> His comments
> about him during quali were a bit on the scathing
> side IMO.

They were all fair enough though. The comment about Alonso being awful to interview, or something like that was more scathing, but quite funny though.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 29, 2010 10:00PM
Posted by: EC83
SchueyFan Wrote:
> EC83 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > His comments
> > about him during quali were a bit on the
> scathing
> > side IMO.
>
> They were all fair enough though. The comment
> about Alonso being awful to interview, or
> something like that was more scathing, but quite
> funny though.

Oh, definitely. I totally agree with his comments about Alonso, liked the bit about him being bad to interview, and think he made a great point. Just can't remember the last time he spoke quite so critically about a driver.

Date: May 29, 2010 10:08PM
EC83 Wrote:
> Just
> can't remember the last time he spoke quite so
> critically about a driver.

Maybe not quite as scathing, but he was quite critical of Kobayashi again today. I don't think Kamui's been that bad, he's dragged the bad car into Q3 three times, and has been unlucky with various first corner incidents or mechanical retirements.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 29, 2010 10:22PM
Yeah, I picked up on the Kobayashi comments too, and I see where he was coming from. But the Sauber hasn't been an ideal car so far, especially not for a guy doing his first full season. So it's a tough one to call just now IMO. I'd say he needs a bit more time yet before being judged as such.

Date: May 29, 2010 10:39PM
Posted by: marcl
People need to remember with Kobayashi that he is seeing many of these tracks for the 1st time and he is doing well. Turkey he knows from GP2 just like Spain and got into the top 10 at both.

I hope he makes it round the 1st lap.
Date: May 29, 2010 11:27PM
Posted by: harjinator
i think kamui's done a fantastic job really. he's in a, frankly, awful car (possibly on a par with the torro rosso in terms of awfulness - though getting better), against a team-mate with vast f1 milage (although not an illustrious race career). He's always been around DLR in praccy, has qualified ahead of him on several occasions. He's just had awful luck in races (Oz, the front wing failure, multiple reliability issues). given time, and hopefully he'll get a decent start tomorrow, and he'll start getting points.

If you look at his performances so far, and compare him with most of the rookie japanese drivers of late, he's had remarkably few crashes and spins, compared with, for example, Sato in his first year.

Hamilton nearly had Webber today - he was faster in the first and third sectors (i think). hopefully he can get through on lap 1 and scamper off (never thought i'd be saying that about hamilton!)

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: May 29, 2010 11:32PM
Posted by: gav
Kobayashi put Trulli to shame in Interlagos and Abu Dhabi in a car he never tested (to my knowledge) so he should be making mincemeat out of a driver who's always been very, very average at best and has only done a handful of races in the past decade, in a car in which Kamui has tested. He does have the beating of PDLR, but he's hardly making half the impression he did.

If anything, all he's shown is how poor Trulli has become in recent years.

This is how expect it will go: Kobayashi won't do anything in F1. He'll be typically Japanese - show promise at first, especially in weaker cars, then he'll either wilt away to nothing or he'll get a chance in a half decent car and show he's completely out of his depth. Just like Nakajima, Katayama, Nakajima and Sato.

I hope I'm wrong, as everyone loves the terrier of an underdog, and he seems like a genuine bloke, but I just can't see him ever getting much further. As I said last year when most others were pimping him.
Date: May 30, 2010 12:20AM
Posted by: marcl
What was Legend on about today saying Trulli has only been out qualid by one team mate, Alonso, Ralf, Kovy, HHF all did. So infact every team mate has.

Also DC has not won all his races in Newy cars, the 1997 Mclaren at the start of the year was not a Newy design.
Date: May 30, 2010 12:49AM
Posted by: zulu_85
marcl Wrote:
> What was Legend on about today saying Trulli has
> only been out qualid by one team mate, Alonso,
> Ralf, Kovy, HHF all did. So infact every team
> mate has.
>

I heard that and wondered about that myself, but I think, hearing it again he was actually referring to Monaco - Trulli was never out-qualified by a team-mate at Monaco until this year. Seems a small point though.

On the subject of Monaco though and the BBC making mistakes - usually the 3D fly-in introduction to the circuit has, as its starting point, the location of the previous Grand Prix - so in this case it should have been Monaco. Instead they were making such a deal of Ferrari being in F1 from the very beginning, what with their 800th Grand Prix, that they highlighted Silverstone as the start of their grand journey. Only Ferrari weren't at the British Grand Prix in 1950, there first ever Grand Prix was at... *drumroll* Monaco.

...Now *that's* a small point ;)
Date: May 30, 2010 07:59AM
gav Wrote:
> If anything, all he's shown is how poor Trulli has
> become in recent years.

Its hard to comment this year, although he has seemingly been behind Kovalinen regularly, but I don't think Trulli was that poor last year. I think he is just less consistent these days. Japan 2009 was a brilliant drive in particular, and he was ahead or even with Glock most of the year, with Singapore being the obvious exception.

It would have been nice to see him, Kovalainen or Glock at Renault to give us another competitive car.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 30, 2010 10:07AM
SchueyFan
Japan 2009 was a brilliant drive in particular

Was it, or was it just the car working well as it randomly did? As I remember, Glock was going well in practice and qualifying too... until he drove into the wall of course.

I used to like Trulli and Ralf too, yet Toyota's randomness seemed to drain the enthusiasm out of them. The odd exception when they genuinely had a brilliant car (Silverstone 2003 in the wet I think it was and again the wet at Spa 2005) the drivers came alive and you could see it in their driving. In the average weekend, all they did was polish up on their complaining skills - something Trulli has carried through to Lotus.

Of course, Ralf was never consistent, and Trulli's results never were but his pace was. Yet he's been given a pounding by Heikki this year, who was hardly Mr. Consistent himself at McLaren.

Heikki's been a breath of fresh air. He's not moaned overly and when he's been interviewed he's always got a huge grin on his face. He's genuinely happy just to be driving and knows they're getting somewhere. It's shown in his driving too - there's an exuberance and determination that Trulli hasn't shown this year.

To my eyes Trulli just looks to have the attitude of someone who's gearing down to retire and is bitter as he thinks it's going to happen right at the back of the grid.
[en.espnf1.com] Im sick of this red bull SHYT! why they keep telling to public that another component broke on vettel's car, last time is the chassis now the roll bar, that they keep saying its one main factor that vettel is not competitive, wtf!!!! @#$%& you redbull dick shyt its normal in f1 to broke small components in f1. why they just can't face the truth that webber blew VETTEL BIG TIME!.

And for the first time im starting to like hamilton and starting to hate alonso.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 12:42PM by RebelWithoutaCause.
Date: May 30, 2010 12:43PM
Posted by: casabonka
Yeah, those damn roll bars, they should just rip them out of the car - they clearly dont affect performance (or help keep all 4 wheels on the ground)....

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: May 30, 2010 01:22PM
Posted by: Ilkayplaya
Agree totally with "RebelWithoutaCause"! Well said!
Date: May 30, 2010 01:28PM
Yeah the car was clearly designed to leave 1 wheel up in the air at all times. Genius designer that Adrian Newey.
Date: May 30, 2010 01:49PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Ilkayplaya Wrote:
> Agree totally with "RebelWithoutaCause"! Well
> said!

Well clearly stupidity is contagious then.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2010 02:31PM
Posted by: ralv585
why did they pit lewis first?

He could be leading if they left him out longer than webber

Date: May 30, 2010 02:36PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Ilkayplaya Wrote:
> -----
> > Agree totally with "RebelWithoutaCause"! Well
> > said!
>
>
> Well clearly stupidity is contagious then.

Yeah, the morons are breeding it sadly seems.

Great race in prospect now though, with that shuffle at the stops. The pace of the McLarens is pretty awesome so far!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 02:37PM by EC83.
Date: May 30, 2010 02:39PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
ralv585 Wrote:
> why did they pit lewis first?
>
> He could be leading if they left him out longer
> than webber

Red Bull were reacting to McLaren. If McLaren had waited, so would Red Bull have done. Red Bull have the advantage of the first pit stall and a clear route out of the box. They knew that, and exploited it. Great race planning by them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2010 02:57PM
Posted by: ralv585
DaveEllis Wrote:
> ralv585 Wrote:
> -----
> > why did they pit lewis first?
> >
> > He could be leading if they left him out longer
> > than webber
>
>
> Red Bull were reacting to McLaren. If McLaren had
> waited, so would Red Bull have done. Red Bull have
> the advantage of the first pit stall and a clear
> route out of the box. They knew that, and
> exploited it. Great race planning by them.

They could have pulled a ferrari though.

Call the pit crew out, get red bull to respond and when webber pits, lewis stays out and does one more flying lap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy