The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**

Posted by tozequio 
Re: The Turkish Grand Prix Thread **SPOILERS**
Date: May 30, 2010 04:15PM
Posted by: gav
More importantly than all of this. I want to kill Nicole Scherzinger (yes I had to Google the name). It's the first time I've seen her for a season or something and she's already doing my @#$%& head in.
Date: May 30, 2010 04:18PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
lol Lewis, that was brilliant

"I'm not stupid. I'm not going to put us [Jenson and himself] in a dangerous situation. We're not going to touch"

I see what hes saying (and I love the cheeky smirk too), but they did touch in T1 lol.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2010 04:24PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little mention for Kobayashi. He benefited from
> the RBR Moron squad, but got a point. He beat his
> team mate and is now on tracks he already knows
> from previous running. I think he has struggled to
> learn tracks, so I'm now interested in seeing how
> he does from now on.

Yes, it was nice to see him getting a point However, he seemed to go backwards in the race - at least compared to de la Rosa. I will need to see the lap chart to make a further judgement about this. His battle with the lapped Toro Rosso was stupid, too.

Petrov got the fastest lap as well, a nice result on a promising weekend for him - fairly close to Kubica in speed, and kept back Alonso for a long time.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 30, 2010 04:27PM
Posted by: WestPunx
No one's talking about Shumacher's epic speed? Webber flew off the track, lost about 3 - 4 seconds (did he do a lap with the damaged wing?), pitted, and still came out 7 seconds ahead of Shumacher. Woot!
Date: May 30, 2010 04:28PM
I think Kobi was just out of position in qualifying. I really don't think the Sauber is a top 10 car, and he managed to keep it there for awhile.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
I think that the problem here was that Red Bull hasn´t put clear rules about overtaking situations between their two drivers.

Vettel took many risks on that move, he should wait till the next turn to make it. He migth thougth that Webber will let him pass through, so he went to the ideal line, but Webber left his car there, so ...... Well, the result was predictible.
There was definitely a big misunderstanding between both Red Bull drivers on that move, the team now must calm down the drivers, and start putting some rules on them.

It almost happen the same between Button and Hamilton, Button made a great move to overtake Lewis, but then he tried to recover the lead on turn 1. Button was clever, so he didn´t offer a big resistance (even when they almost hit each other), and then the team decided to open a gap between them to put an end to this battle.

Ferrari made a disappointing 800th race, been 1 second slower than Mclaren and Red Bull, and both drivers finished behind both Mercedez and Kubica. Alonso won against Petrov on a very risky maneuver, even with Vitaly recovered and made a lap record on the last lap.

Great race at Turkey, and first TRUE BATTLE between teammates, and another problem for Red Bull: this time not only mechanical problems, now teammate problems too...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

GP4 Projects: - Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Kovalainen and Ricciardo F1 2012 Helmets Released -
My GP4 Workthread
Date: May 30, 2010 04:36PM
Interesting onboard from Webber there on the BBC. He actually turned LEFT into Vettel, then Vettel appears in frame and only then does Mark move right, as Vettel pulls ahead.

It seems like Vettel decided "I'm going through here, if you want to have an accident then lets go have an accident".

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 30, 2010 04:48PM
Posted by: Slash
since the begining of the season this was the best race by far, worst podium celebration as well
Date: May 30, 2010 04:57PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Webber stayed on his line but as they were too close and Vettel on the dirty side of the track, he made a little gap on the right when he braked. So, I think Vettel has misjudged his overtaking and risks but this is not one or other's fault. This is just the race. They want to fight for the 1st place and hopefully, the drivers take risks because this is what makes races interesting. It could have happened to Hamilton and Button, too (What a great overtaking like we'd love to see more often!)

So, I agree with Thunderknight , excepted that this is not to Horner to say to his drivers to calm down, just to the drivers to evaluate risks and possibilities to overtake. This is a little lesson to Vettel to not trust in Webber because he's fighting for the first place of the championship and he has to make his race (this was too close but in respect of the rules and his team mate. webber didn't close the door).

Anyway, great GP!

@ Slash: You are right for the podium. It was a bit tense ;)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 05:12PM by Excalibur.
Date: May 30, 2010 05:13PM
Posted by: EC83
Well done Lewis, great win, and one which had been coming for a while really. Fantastic battle between Lewis and Jenson, great entertainment and brilliant driving from both. The right guys finished 1 and 2.

I'm inclined to agree with verdict of 60/40 Vettel's fault. There's a fine line in that kind of situation between being brilliant and being utterly stupid, and Seb stepped over it rather epically here. I'm also surprised and disappointed that he wasn't apologetic when interviewed afterwards, it's always been one of his saving graces when he's screwed up in the past(Melbourne 2009 for example). And doing the crazy sign after the crash might have been a kneejerk reaction, but he was miles off there IMO. To me it smacked of a belief that it had been his right to have Webber jump out of his way and not contest the position, which is un-Vettel-like and does surprise me.

Well done Kobayashi. First point of the season, and a very solid drive.

Good job also from MS. Didn't have the ultimate pace in the car, but had a strong weekend, outperforming Nico, was constantly "best of the rest" after the Maccas and RedBulls, and came close to inheriting a podium at one point too.

Ferrari really just abysmal all weekend.

gav Wrote:
> More importantly than all of this. I want to kill
> Nicole Scherzinger (yes I had to Google the name).
> It's the first time I've seen her for a season or
> something and she's already doing my @#$%& head
> in.

Join the club dude :P
It's the first GP she's been at since Abu Dhabi. What really bugs me is the apparent obsession with showing her, even on replays. Today we got shown a slow-mo of her reaction to Jenson and Lewis out-shuffling each other for the lead. Yay.
Her speaking to the BBC team afterwards was just the icing on the cake.

Date: May 30, 2010 05:15PM
Posted by: Nickv
I saw the bit with her during Brundle's gridwalk. The mere fact that they had to introduce themselves to her shows how much of an addition she is to the coverage.
Date: May 30, 2010 05:22PM
Haha, I caught the tail-end of the grid walk today, obviously the bit with her on was earlier. Looks like I caught the right bits :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 05:29PM by EC83.
Date: May 30, 2010 06:10PM
Posted by: chet
Great, for the first time to see (in the dry) JB and Lewis as close as that! LH is bringing out the best in JB!

Great race tho, Lewis never gave RBR a break and Vettel, what a fool! what an utter fool.

More disapointed in Horner and RBR as a team though.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 30, 2010 06:10PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
There are now rumours that Red Bull had both told Webber to turn down his engine and save fuel, and Vettel to turn up his engine to defend against Hamilton

EDIT: Apparently there will be a story soon on Autosport that, "Webber was ordered to turn his engine down on the lap that Sebastian Vettel tried the move on him". Conspiracy theorists rejoice!

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 06:12PM by SchueyFan.
Date: May 30, 2010 06:26PM
chet Wrote:
> Great, for the first time to see (in the dry) JB
> and Lewis as close as that! LH is bringing out the
> best in JB!

Definitely, I'd say. Also notice the jump forward Jenson made when a bit of rain came down. It's like he comes alive whenever the track gets damp or wet. Lewis has the edge in dry conditions, no doubt about that, but the shift towards Jenson when it stops being dry is striking. Today we saw this balance illustrated brilliantly IMO.
It also was easily Jenson's strongest performance yet on a dry track since he joined McLaren. He was able to shadow Lewis all the way, and was much closer to Lewis's pace.

Date: May 30, 2010 06:38PM
Posted by: Slash
EC83 Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great, for the first time to see (in the dry)
> JB
> > and Lewis as close as that! LH is bringing out
> the
> > best in JB!
>
> Definitely, I'd say. Also notice the jump forward
> Jenson made when a bit of rain came down. It's
> like he comes alive whenever the track gets damp
> or wet. Lewis has the edge in dry conditions, no
> doubt about that, but the shift towards Jenson
> when it stops being dry is striking. Today we saw
> this balance illustrated brilliantly IMO.
> It also was easily Jenson's strongest performance
> yet on a dry track since he joined McLaren. He was
> able to shadow Lewis all the way, and was much
> closer to Lewis's pace.

no doubt, Jenson is a fine intelligent driver... it was going to take some time to adjust to the new car but is he doing it brilliantly...
10 years being a fan are finally paying off lately

also, Renault deserves a lot of credit.... we all form our opinion of what it was a bad car in winter testing, but honestly seeing Kubica and Petrov performances... these guys have really move forward.... i think they have a faster car than Mercedez... only they qualified behind

next race is going to be interesting... is al about mechanical grip and Mclaren have it. but so does Mercedez and Red Bull... the battle i think will be a lot closer, and Jenson moves around that track pretty well
Date: May 30, 2010 06:42PM
Posted by: gav
I just suspect that Hamilton was given the fuel warning before Button. The rain didn't have any effect on lap times. It was burning straight off the track.
Date: May 30, 2010 07:28PM
Posted by: jbnd05
I just came out of work, accidentally clicked on my BBC F1 bookmark and then watched the highlights. Could not have had a better treat :)
Vettel was being an idiot, masterclass from JB and LH.

Date: May 30, 2010 09:01PM
Posted by: Covfan

Q: Helmut, how disappointed do you feel to have let victory slip from your grasp?
Helmut Marko: A sure-fire one-two to be exact! It leaves you speechless.

Q: Do you regret there are no team orders anymore?
HM: Well, we thought that we had two responsible drivers who wouldn’t get into such a situation in the first place.

Q: Red Bull team principal Christian Horner said he didn’t believe it was Vettel’s fault. Is this the official opinion of the team?
HM: Well, in the situation Sebastian was in, he had no other choice than to act the way he did.

Q: How will the team respond?
HM: We will carefully analyse the situation and sit down with all involved to have a serious word about what happened and how to handle situations like that in the future.

Q: Will you change something in the future to avoid such an incident happening again?
HM: Well, first of all we always told them that it is a strict no-go to go to the wall with each other. Whatever happens they always have to give room to the other. I hope that all the people involved will think a bit more in the future before acting.

Q: That suggests that one of the two should have given way to the other…
HM: Yes.

Q: And you will discuss with them who that should have been …
HM: Yes.

Q: Is it true that the team gave instructions to Mark Webber’s race engineer to let Sebastian Vettel pass because otherwise Lewis (Hamilton)would be able to overtake?
HM: That is not correct, because that would mean a team order. We informed Mark about the situation and it is for the driver to decide. The fact is that if Sebastian hadn’t passed he would have been overtaken by Hamilton.

Q: Why was Sebastian so much quicker than Mark so suddenly?
HM: I think it was in the tyres.
Date: May 30, 2010 09:08PM
Posted by: Morbid
EC83 Wrote:
> I'm inclined to agree with verdict of 60/40
> Vettel's fault. There's a fine line in that kind
> of situation between being brilliant and being
> utterly stupid, and Seb stepped over it rather
> epically here. I'm also surprised and disappointed
> that he wasn't apologetic when interviewed
> afterwards, it's always been one of his saving
> graces when he's screwed up in the past(Melbourne
> 2009 for example). And doing the crazy sign after
> the crash might have been a kneejerk reaction, but
> he was miles off there IMO. To me it smacked of a
> belief that it had been his right to have Webber
> jump out of his way and not contest the position,
> which is un-Vettel-like and does surprise me.

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Interesting onboard from Webber there on the BBC.
> He actually turned LEFT into Vettel, then Vettel
> appears in frame and only then does Mark move
> right, as Vettel pulls ahead.
>
> It seems like Vettel decided "I'm going through
> here, if you want to have an accident then lets go
> have an accident".

This sums it up for me, apart from the 40% Webber issue. Webber left the door open and closed it too late. He chose to make it inches tight. When Hamilton and Button had at it, they had up to a cars width between them in the braking zone. If you want to put it all on the line, then this is what can happen. BOTH opted for "you will submit or crash!", and @#$%& happened. Webbers major fault was, that he STAYED in on Vettel after the pass was completed! The smart thing to do as a racer, would be to zoom out into the ideal line and set Vettel up for the chicane, exactly as it happened with Button and Hamilton. Vettel focused on the brake marker and getting to the turn in. A more experienced driver would have kept his eye on Webber.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy