2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**

Posted by raulongo 
Re: 2010 Formula 1™ Monaco GP THREAD **SPOILERS**
Date: May 19, 2010 08:35PM
Posted by: gav
marcl
but every team other than Merc told their drivers to hold station

Interestingly, Merc say otherwise.

Tit for tat really. Believe the Italians or the Germans? Can't win. ;)
Date: May 19, 2010 11:40PM
Posted by: marcl
Now had MS been in the Ferrari how would it have done then lol :)
Date: May 20, 2010 04:38PM
Posted by: LS.
marcl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> Webber is really on top of his game at the moment
> will be interesting to see how Vettel copes.
>

Red Bull has found damage to Sebastian Vettel's chassis which goes some way to explaining his recent struggle to keep up with team-mate Mark Webber.

Webber took commanding victories at the last two grands prix from pole while Vettel qualified and finished both races behind him. According to Germany's Auto Bild Motorsport, after returning to Milton Keynes from the Barcelona/Monaco double header, Red Bull has identified damage to Vettel's chassis.

"We have found a defect in Sebastian's chassis," team principal Christian Horner confirmed. "For the next race in Turkey, he will have a new chassis."

Vettel, initially the stronger of Red Bull's driver lineup this year, is now equal on points with Webber at the top of the 2010 standings. Horner added that he is confident Vettel will rediscover the form he had at the start of the season in coming races.

"Sebastian began the season in great shape and I am sure he will bounce back at the next race," he said. "In Barcelona and Monaco, Mark was simply stronger, he had more confidence and felt more comfortable in the car. In contrast, Sebastian complained several times about the balance of the car."

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Maybe they are just saying that to give him some confidence, like Mercedes could have done with Schumacher and HRT with Senna ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 20, 2010 04:46PM
Posted by: LS.
I'm all for Webber winning if it keeps Vettel off the top step and we dont have to see that annoying 1 fingered salute at the camera every 5 seconds and that gormless grin he has.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
LS. Wrote:
> I'm all for Webber winning if it keeps Vettel off
> the top step and we dont have to see that annoying
> 1 fingered salute at the camera every 5 seconds
> and that gormless grin he has.

Yes, he's no Alonso when it comes to post-race celebrations ;)

X (@ed24f1)
LS. schrieb:

Ye m8 you are so right its very annoying your glad you dont live in germany to listen to do commentaters when he goes on pole or wins.
At the start it was very close between the wall vettel and robert so the german commentator went crazy and omg how close was that and oh i hope the cars is alright pff what a ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And thats the bottom line cause Alonso0506 said so"
Vettel will be champion one day so you best get used to it lol.

If the Red Bull is anywhere near as good as the Ferrari was in the first half of the last decade then Vettel will be dominating the first half of this decade.

Date: May 20, 2010 05:38PM
Posted by: Morbid
matt3454 Wrote:
> If the Red Bull is anywhere near as good as the
> Ferrari was in the first half of the last decade
> then Vettel will be dominating the first half of
> this decade.

I have some issues with the logic of that sentence. The basic structure is as follows:

If A shares X property with B, then C will dominate - (as B did).

Now A and B are cars. X is car strength. C is a driver. C drives A, and gets dominance from A.

Conversely: If A does not share X property with B, then C driving A, will not dominate.

So with this argument, what you are effectively saying, is that the driver is irrelevant in F1, and all that matters is the car.

Was that your point?

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
alonso0506 Wrote:
> Ye m8 you are so right its very annoying your glad
> you dont live in germany to listen to do
> commentaters when he goes on pole or wins.
> At the start it was very close between the wall
> vettel and robert so the german commentator went
> crazy and omg how close was that and oh i hope the
> cars is alright pff what a ...

I wonder what the spanish commentators would say if Alonso got pole in Spain...in my head it'd go like this, " POLEEEEEEE!!!!! POLE!!! POLE!!! POLEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!", for an hour or so.

I really wonder how football fans there stand a game with 7 goals or more..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 05:45PM by WestPunx.
I just wonder about the redbull, if they are about 1s clear of everyone and we know the technical expertise of ferrari, mclaren, mercedes, do people think redbull are bending the rules ever so slightly or have some amazing thing that nobody knows about, like flexi somethingorother. and if they have ludicrous amounts of downforce according to lewis, they should eat people in turn 8 in turkey?

did we ever get an answer to why webber was scraping the bottom of his car in quali yet was still ok in the race when all the fuel was dumped in.

I.Tz No Problem
For all your home and business I.T needs
[www.itznoproblem.com]
enquiry@itznoproblem.com
Date: May 20, 2010 07:19PM
Posted by: chet
I dont think its all downforce... I think its a comb of everything, as it ever is.

The Mclaren is pretty nifty through the high-speed corners, not far behind (if at all) behind the RedBulls imo.

i just think they have found something amazing with their car. It has the most exposed rear end of any car, the low exhausts and mixing of flows looks to have been perfectly tuned, their front end is about as detailed as it gets. The amazing thing is though, that from last year to this year the changes have been small compared to the others. For instance their update at Barcelona was simply a tighter (yeah it was possible!) rear end and some diffuser tweaks. Not noticable at first glance.

But cheating? no.

As much as Mclaren and Ferrari wish it were, thats not the case. The car is simply amazing. They have done a better job, and once again Ferrari and Mclarne have to face that fact, that two years in a row they have been trumped, big time.

edit - about the scraping, I expected the car to feature push-rod rear end to allow for more space for the diffuser, but no, Newey kept it, and packaging cant have been the whole reason. Obviously he sees it better to have the beam wing fully exposed rather than going all out on a huge diffuser with the rake to match. I think the pull-rod is offering alot more than just better packaging. I dont know what because from what I know in terms of performance there is no difference...

But yeah, dont expect Mclaren and Ferrari to be up there soon. At least not on a regular basis... I mean my tip for Canada is Lewis, but after that i cant see another team winning, without a huge update and a RedBull drop in form.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2010 07:24PM by chet.
Date: May 20, 2010 07:33PM
Posted by: Morbid
The simplest solution to the no-fuel qualifying, no refuelling race dilemma is to make the gas tank act as a counter-weight in the suspension. That way, the more the gas tank weighs, the higher up it pulls the car. An empty tank exerts little to no pull on the suspension, thus the car is low. I am not even sure this would be illegal in the current regulations and clarifications.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
chet Wrote:
> I
> mean my tip for Canada is Lewis

You tipped Lewis as a definite Monaco winner as well, and he was the 6th fastest car over the weekend behind the Red Bulls, Ferraris and Kubica ;)

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 20, 2010 11:10PM
Posted by: J i m
chet Wrote:
> But cheating? no.

Nah, simply a better developed car. The design team at Red Bull have been growing in statue for the past few years and Adrian Newey is spreading his wings (sorry) there now.

Rather hilariously someone at my work is convinced that the car is illegal simply because it's beating his beloved McLaren and even more beloved Jenson Button, he is unable to offer any theory as to how it could contravene the regulations. I asked him if he thought the 1998 McLaren was illegal when it turned up at Melbourne and pwned the next fastest car by 5 seconds a lap...silence.

Even more hilariously he's now utterly convinced that someone sabotaged Button's car at Monaco and that he was on course for a certain win....I stopped talking to him at this point.

Date: May 21, 2010 01:50AM
Posted by: EC83
LS. Wrote:

Sour grapes anyone? (And anyway, it tends to be after getting poles that he does the one-fingered salute IIRC, to be pedantic.)

There's a good chance for Mark to stamp his authority in the near future though. Next up we have Istanbul where he won out over Vettel last year, and the next few tracks after it are hardly proven Vettel tracks. Even Silverstone, where he dominated last year, will have a different layout this time. That, along with Webber's recent success, could give him the upper hand for most of the rest of this season if he can win again in Turkey.
We'll soon know how much effect(if any) the chassis problem on Vettel's car has had on his pace.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2010 01:55AM by EC83.
Morbid Wrote:
> matt3454 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If the Red Bull is anywhere near as good as the
> > Ferrari was in the first half of the last
> decade
> > then Vettel will be dominating the first half
> of
> > this decade.
>
>
> I have some issues with the logic of that
> sentence. The basic structure is as follows:
>
> If A shares X property with B, then C will
> dominate - (as B did).
>
> Now A and B are cars. X is car strength. C is a
> driver. C drives A, and gets dominance from A.
>
> Conversely: If A does not share X property with B,
> then C driving A, will not dominate.
>
> So with this argument, what you are effectively
> saying, is that the driver is irrelevant in F1,
> and all that matters is the car.
>
> Was that your point?

More or less, but a team consists of two drivers. Over a course of a season Vettel will beat almost any team mate he has in my opinion. If Alex Yoong and Luca Badoer were driving the Red Bulls this season then they wouldn't be winning.

Date: May 21, 2010 02:34AM
Posted by: EC83
SchueyFan Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I
> > mean my tip for Canada is Lewis
>
> You tipped Lewis as a definite Monaco winner as
> well, and he was the 6th fastest car over the
> weekend behind the Red Bulls, Ferraris and Kubica
> ;)

In fairness, Lewis has had immense pace both times he's driven in Canada so far, and in 2008 it was his strongest race all season till his epic pitlane fail. So, if there's one race this year where Lewis has a chance of beating the RedBulls in a straight fight, Canada is surely it.

I think a mclaren will win at montreal, i think it will suit their car best. i just wonder if button can make it 3-0 against hamilton. probably not, but it would be funny, the tyre wear i think will be an issue and i think button will manage his tires better.
I'm all for Webber winning if it keeps Vettel off the top step and we dont have to see that annoying 1 fingered salute at the camera every 5 seconds and that gormless grin he has.

People really are clutching at straws to try and hate a man for winning. But since you can't hate someone for winning, you need something else to hate them for. With Schumacher it was easy, he gave plenty of ammunition. Alonso, Senna provided quite a bit too. People found it difficult to hate Hakkinen, since he didn't provide much to hate for. And now we're getting to the point where people have to hate Vettel for the way he celebrates.

Shame we can't apply such amazing faultless logic to some forum members.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy